Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Glastonbury 2019

Comments

• Options
    Macronate said:
    Charlatans were quality.
    Even if Tim Burgess looked like one of Trevor and Simon swinging his pants 
    Unique hairstyle.
  • Options
    My last memory was of my one (and definately only) visit to Glastonbury the late great Malcolm Hardee comparing the comedy tent at about 2am. Funny as. 
    He was on stage at a ball when I was at Uni many many years ago (it was 1993 if I recall). He was on a stage at the side of the bar (there were multiple things going on) and not many people were watching and he was struggling to get anyone to take any notice. He disappeared for a minute and returned to the stage stark bollock naked. He completed his set with a bit more attention... 
  • Options
    This from the Telegraph of all places sums up how good he was last night, the man is just an absolute king of his art

• Options
    As much as I like Stormzy gonna throw it out there that what he makes nowadays isn't even remotely grime
  • Options
    buckshee said:
    I just wish they wouldn't keep on about Stormzy like some kind of narrative they want to fit, he's up there because he deserves to be not because of the colour of his skin. I wasn't keen on Jay-Z headlining and even less so Kanye as I didn't think they got it, Stormzy however definitely gets it. 

I see Gerry Cinnamon is playing the John Peel stage at 2pm today.Someone fucked up there putting him on in a tent early afternoon, it'll be ridiculously packed for that.
    What is it that Stormzy "gets"?  @buckshee
    Genuine question.
    I'm speaking as a fogey with no appreciation of his genre and I am genuinely interested to know what he brings to the table of contemporary British music.

• Options
    buckshee said:
    I just wish they wouldn't keep on about Stormzy like some kind of narrative they want to fit, he's up there because he deserves to be not because of the colour of his skin. I wasn't keen on Jay-Z headlining and even less so Kanye as I didn't think they got it, Stormzy however definitely gets it. 

I see Gerry Cinnamon is playing the John Peel stage at 2pm today.Someone fucked up there putting him on in a tent early afternoon, it'll be ridiculously packed for that.
    Genuine question.
    I'm speaking as a fogey with no appreciation of his genre and I am genuinely interested to know what he brings to the table of contemporary British music.

I guess he makes music that is not only hugely popular but also has a message. He talks about politics, life experiences and where he comes from (he references South London very often). Compare that to your Ed Sheeran or Adele’s who also sell records by the truck load but have no message to go with their music and it’s refreshing. 
  • Options
    Sheeran and Adele are two of his closest friends in music.

the shot of him doing Shut Up with the flares going off in the background is iconic 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    buckshee said:

Genuine question.

I guess he makes music that is not only hugely popular but also has a message. He talks about politics, life experiences and where he comes from (he references South London very often). Compare that to your Ed Sheeran or Adele’s who also sell records by the truck load but have no message to go with their music and it’s refreshing. 
    Sums it up very well. Being relatable to those outside the “Brit School” kids is something he brings. Also what he sings/raps about is actually real. Had a housemate years ago who’s from Sheeran’s hometown and went to school with him, said that all his lyrics are fables and none of those things ever actually happened. Stormzy’s lyrics are from the heart. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:
    buckshee said:

Genuine question.

Sums it up very well. Being relatable to those outside the “Brit School” kids is something he brings. Also what he sings/raps about is actually real. Had a housemate years ago who’s from Sheeran’s hometown and went to school with him, said that all his lyrics are fables and none of those things ever actually happened. Stormzy’s lyrics are from the heart. 
    Thanks for the insight chaps
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    buckshee said:

Genuine question.

Surely everyone knows Stormzy is from leafy Surrey, went to a public school and was in defence for the school lacrosse team. 
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    se9addick said:
    buckshee said:

Genuine question.

Adele’s music has no message???

im not sure you’ve looked at her music close enough.

i agree with Sheeran tho. His is mostly made up waffle.
  • Options
    Jorja Smith was excellent, able to be seen on iplayer. 
  • Options
    Macronate said:
    Charlatans were quality.
    Even if Tim Burgess looked like one of Trevor and Simon swinging his pants 
    Yes, he looked ridiculous and couldn't sing.
    Absolutely ruined The Only One I Know.
  • Options
    IDLES smashed it as expected.
    Mark Bowen singing whilst crowd surfing in his Calvin Klein's.
  • Options
    I like Stormzy as a bloke but....’grime’ music, WTF!?!?

i am definitely getting old
  • Options
    Mate there says they’re band of the weekend so far. 
  • Options
    Did you get your Ally Pally ticket ?
    They sold out on the day.

PS Sleaford Mods tickets still available for Hammersmith Apollo.
  • Options
    Dave > Stormzy
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Did you get your Ally Pally ticket ?
    They sold out on the day.

PS Sleaford Mods tickets still available for Hammersmith Apollo.
    Sadly not mate! Couldn’t get away for a moment from work to book. A mate runs the catering firm that does a lot of London circuit so hopefully can pick up a spare closer to the gig! 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    buckshee said:

Genuine question.

Not that bothered about Sheeran, but to be fair you don't have to sing about personal experiences to make great songs and music though. Many of the greatest writers are observers or are able to write about the human condition in general
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    buckshee said:

Genuine question.

Not that bothered about Sheeran, but to be fair you don't have to sing about personal experiences to make great songs and music though. Many of the greatest writers are observers or are able to write about the human condition in general
    Completely agree. But Sheeran has spoke about his lyrics being personal experiences, when in fact some them are not. You look back to when Arctic Monkeys came on the scene and Alex Turner was very open as to how his lyrics were observations of his local area. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    buckshee said:

Genuine question.

You are right - but the question was, essentially, “why is Stormzy popular” and I think that’s part of it. Not knocking Sheeran, he does his own thing.
  • Options
    Keith Cinnamon excellent, quite enjoying Maggie Rogers, nope never heard of her either. Carrie Underwood, nah!
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    buckshee said:

Genuine question.

Big fan of Stormzy, great music 
  • Options
    Stormzy was impressive as a presence. Not much in the way of melody or tune, and the words were hard to make out. Strong rhythmically.
    I wouldn't know about content lyrically. I already know that UK society is unfair and especially unfair to everybody who isn't white male and middle class and comfortable like me.
    In terms of politics does Stormzy suggest anything in particular, or is it a question of 'telling it like it is'?
  • Options
    Why is Ed Sheeran so popular? I don't get it. I like one or two songs of his but I find most of his other stuff ordinary. I'm not talking about the lyrics but the songs. What is so special about them that makes him so huge almost all over the world? Many Chinese fans here as well. There are plenty of artists that are on similar level of musical talents in my opinion.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Stormzy was impressive as a presence. Not much in the way of melody or tune, and the words were hard to make out. Strong rhythmically.
    I wouldn't know about content lyrically. I already know that UK society is unfair and especially unfair to everybody who isn't white male and middle class and comfortable like me.
    In terms of politics does Stormzy suggest anything in particular, or is it a question of 'telling it like it is'?
    He’s a big fan of Corbyn and a big critic of the Conservative party/government, Boris especially (both caught some flack shall we say in his recent number one single)