Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

**BREAKING NEWS (AGAIN) Lee Bowyer signs new contract**

Comments

• Options
    I’m still adamant that a buyer has got involved in this. No way is this just a simple 24 hr turnaround 
          I'm thinking the opposite. Dont think we are close to a deal. RD does his usual "I'm in charge & I know best" rant & makes himself look a grade A f**kup. Someone close to him (LdT most like) has a word & tells him to see sense & needs LB at the helm if he is ever going to sell. 
  • Options
    For what it's worth...

RD has made it abundantly clear over the years that he doesn't like agents.

The negotiation was being carried out with Lee's agent. Probably put RD's back up right away. Agent's don't just negotiate for their clients, but for themselves, too. RD was probably concerned that any new owners might demand he pay off Lee's contract if they wanted their own man. The last thing RD wants is to get lumbered paying off a big contract that he's negotiated with Lee's agent...

LB has said it over and over again. He never wanted to get into management in the first place. I don't believe he was ever interested in going to Derby, and that story is just fake news. (The only club that he would be tempted by is Leeds, the only other club that, I get the impression, to which he has any emotional attachment.)

So, Lee speaks to his agent, says "Let's just get this sorted!". Agrees a higher wage, but on a one year contract.

Lee gets the wage he feels he deserves, RD is more comfortable having to, if necessary, only pay off a one year contract...

Job's a good'un...
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Rothko said:
    From behind the Times Paywall

Charlton have made an extraordinary U-turn by agreeing to double their offer of a new contract for Lee Bowyer just hours after branding the manager as greedy for rejecting a new deal.

The former England midfield player has signed an amended one-year rolling contract to stay at the Valley next season with his salary increased to over £400,000 as recognition for his efforts in leading the club back to the Championship.

The Charlton owner Roland Duchâtelet is understood to have had a change of heart yesterday evening after a backlash from fans following the club’s remarkable statement which denounced Bowyer’s wage demands and branded fellow Championship owners crazy for paying million-pound salaries. The Belgian contacted Bowyer at around 10pm last night asking him to stay with a contract worth almost double his previous offer, and a deal was quickly agreed.

Bowyer had always wanted to stay at Charlton, where he made his name as a player and has impressed hugely in his first management job, stabilising the first-team as a caretaker following the sacking of Karl Robinson last year before leading them to promotion via the League One play-offs.

“We went on a real journey last season,” Bowyer said in a statement this morning. “The club came together — the players, the staff, the fans and we achieved something special. The journey hasn’t finished yet and I’m delighted this has all been agreed.

“This has been a long process and I never wanted to leave, I love this club. I’d like to thank the owner for giving me the initial opportunity and now for continuing to believe in me. We have a fantastic fan-base here and my focus continues to be getting our squad in the best possible shape for the Championship next season.”

Charlton’s change of heart is remarkable, and took place around six hours after Duchâtelet authorised a statement Bowyer of making unreasonable wage demands that are not sustainable at the loss-making club. He has been seeking to sell Charlton for two years, and remains in talks with Cardiff chairman Mehmet Dalman over a potential takeover, and felt unable to offer more.

“Lee has been offered a one-year extension to his contract at a level which is approximately three times what he had since his last increase when he became permanent manager in September [2018],” the statement read. “It is six times what he earned when he started as assistant manager in 2017 and 50% more than what any Charlton manager previously had (excluding the Premier League years). But Lee wanted much more.

“The owner understands Lee’s point of view, because many Championship clubs pay huge amounts (some pay millions of £ per year) to their manager. It is fair that Lee feels he should be paid like many other Championship managers. The owners are crazy.”

Something has made that happen. Maybe a combination of things including reaction of fans.
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    From behind the Times Paywall

Charlton have made an extraordinary U-turn by agreeing to double their offer of a new contract for Lee Bowyer just hours after branding the manager as greedy for rejecting a new deal.

The former England midfield player has signed an amended one-year rolling contract to stay at the Valley next season with his salary increased to over £400,000 as recognition for his efforts in leading the club back to the Championship.

The Charlton owner Roland Duchâtelet is understood to have had a change of heart yesterday evening after a backlash from fans following the club’s remarkable statement which denounced Bowyer’s wage demands and branded fellow Championship owners crazy for paying million-pound salaries. The Belgian contacted Bowyer at around 10pm last night asking him to stay with a contract worth almost double his previous offer, and a deal was quickly agreed.

Bowyer had always wanted to stay at Charlton, where he made his name as a player and has impressed hugely in his first management job, stabilising the first-team as a caretaker following the sacking of Karl Robinson last year before leading them to promotion via the League One play-offs.

“We went on a real journey last season,” Bowyer said in a statement this morning. “The club came together — the players, the staff, the fans and we achieved something special. The journey hasn’t finished yet and I’m delighted this has all been agreed.

“This has been a long process and I never wanted to leave, I love this club. I’d like to thank the owner for giving me the initial opportunity and now for continuing to believe in me. We have a fantastic fan-base here and my focus continues to be getting our squad in the best possible shape for the Championship next season.”

Charlton’s change of heart is remarkable, and took place around six hours after Duchâtelet authorised a statement Bowyer of making unreasonable wage demands that are not sustainable at the loss-making club. He has been seeking to sell Charlton for two years, and remains in talks with Cardiff chairman Mehmet Dalman over a potential takeover, and felt unable to offer more.

“Lee has been offered a one-year extension to his contract at a level which is approximately three times what he had since his last increase when he became permanent manager in September [2018],” the statement read. “It is six times what he earned when he started as assistant manager in 2017 and 50% more than what any Charlton manager previously had (excluding the Premier League years). But Lee wanted much more.

“The owner understands Lee’s point of view, because many Championship clubs pay huge amounts (some pay millions of £ per year) to their manager. It is fair that Lee feels he should be paid like many other Championship managers. The owners are crazy.”

I did hear from a very good source that Lee’s initial demand was for £500k, so this tallies very closely with that. 
  • Options
    Something doesn’t quite work out though.

That bonkers statement went out yesterday at what, 4.30?
    It now emerges that everything was done and dusted last night.

So that means after weeks of negotiations that went nowhere, two parties (both clearly angered) in different locations negotiated, agreed a deal, had a contract wrote out, reviewed by advisors and penned, with supportive quoted PR fixed up as well. All in just a few hours??
    There haven’t been “weeks of negotiation”. As Bowyer himself said, negotiation started last week. The club’s approach has been lackadaisical to the point of insult, which is why it ended up the way it did before it got resolved.
    Bowyer said he received a contract offer from the club on the 3rd April, that was 11 weeks ago. 
    Yes, and the matter was left in the hands of the absent De Turck, which is why it didn’t progress. Those 11 weeks haven’t been filled with negotiation.
  • Options
    There is literally no way that RD said anything mentioned in the "Bowyer Contract Confirmed" piece. 
  • Options
    Some time ago, a great man described this era as 'a bumpy ride'. Pah, I thought. He was right though. It's just even bumpier than he must have imagined.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2019
    So desperate was I for Bowyer to sign I promised my son I would buy us season tickets and break our exile if he put pen to paper. Couldn’t post on here how about much I wanted him to stay and then not support him if he eventually did.
    Oh what to do...
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Redhenry said:
    Phew......
    RedHenry gets it right again... 
    He would do - he is really Roland.  ;)
  • Options
     Lee Bowyer On Sky Sports news now 
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Redhenry said:
    Phew......
    Apologies for my rants at you last night but it had been a stressful day after a stressful 5 years ! Still not sure if you are ITK or have a crystal ball but whatever !

It's a 10 from me and MOM.
    I've never claimed to be anything, just passing on what I hear. Apology accepted, I didn't see what you posted btw :)
  • Options
    Is he by his lake?
  • Options
    Can we have a breakdown for those of us "working"
  • Options
    Lee Bowyer signing new contract was bizarrely on the LBC news snippet a few seconds ago. 

Such is its importance to the nation!
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Is he by his lake?
    Funnily enough - Yes
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    There is literally no way that RD said anything mentioned in the "Bowyer Contract Confirmed" piece. 
    Huh?
  • Options

So that means after weeks of negotiations that went nowhere, two parties (both clearly angered) in different locations negotiated, agreed a deal, had a contract wrote out, reviewed by advisors and penned, with supportive quoted PR fixed up as well. All in just a few hours??
    Again, that in itself suggests to me that after the statement came out Bowyer basically just said “Sod it, I’ll sign the offer”

We all want to believe that RD capitulated and upped his offer, or that a new owner came in and had a word - but this wouldn’t have been turned around that quickly if the deal was any different from what was on the table.
  • Options
    Waking up to hear the news of Bow,s new contract via Five Live reminded me of Xmas morning, as a child . 

YES ! Santa had brought everything I wished for !

Of course, I had to log on here for confirmation before celebrating with tea & toast but how good was it to start the day in a positive frame of mind instead of one of dread as to what the next 24 hours might deliver....

I,'ve given up trying to decifer the bizarre code that the Rat uses when he decides to throw a few crumbs to his customers from his table - it,s not worth using up time & energy in this thankless task.  

So I,m going to accept the great news  with a sigh of relief and enjoy the day ahead ....until next time.

Thank you, Bow. Our 3 season tickets (yes, I know...) will be used to give you &  the lads 100% support, regardless of results .

I,m keeping the faith.  
  • Options
    Phew.
  • Options
    Great news!! Probably sacked tomorrow though  :#
  • Options
    I was never too worried as all parties had far too much to lose by Bowyer, Jackson, Gallen and Marshall, all walking.
    Bowyer has done an unbelievable for us, but I have always had the impression that he was a reluctant manager from the outset. I'm not sure a high profile job away from his established home, would have been a tempting proposition for him, regardless of salary.
    What the rat did yesterday has proved to have been a tiebreaker, which has ultimately paid dividends. He had probably had one too many and took to the official website to vent his frustrations. Today he's talking sensibly again.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Again, that in itself suggests to me that after the statement came out Bowyer basically just said “Sod it, I’ll sign the offer”

We all want to believe that RD capitulated and upped his offer, or that a new owner came in and had a word - but this wouldn’t have been turned around that quickly if the deal was any different from what was on the table.
    It has been reliably reported Duchatelet doubled his offer!