Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Aston Villa (Chris Solly testimonial) - Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    cabbles said:

patience in that Bristol City, a team who are outside favourites for promotion this season got thumped 5-0 today. 

By one of our poxy local rivals who are light years above where we are ffs 
    I know mate.  It’s shit to see and I can’t stand to see us where we are under the owner we have, I just think in the context of our poor pre-season to date, I’m not worried that we won’t have enough under Bowyer to stay up 
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    I think that makes sense - he has to be realistic. He has twelve days to bring in six or seven which is unlikely. Four of the right standard might give us a chance. Not ideal but this is Duchatelet's Charlton.  We just need to support Bowyer, it is incredibly difficult. But please we should be realistic too, and be honest about the limitations of the team currently, as thankfully Bowyer is. It is never a good idea to get promoted and be weaker, but we had some bloody good players in midfield last season. It is hard finding as good or better. Bowyer will have a list of players who meet the criteria, but that doesn't mean he will get them.
  • Options
    RedJohn said:
    Has anyone noticed that the amount of players needed by Bowyer as he has stated in his interviews over the past couple of weeks has moved from needing 7 to 8, down to possibly 4.
    Bowyer said we need 5 after today's match.
  • Options
    RedJohn said:
    Has anyone noticed that the amount of players needed by Bowyer as he has stated in his interviews over the past couple of weeks has moved from needing 7 to 8, down to possibly 4.
    That’s because we’ve made signings, Oshilaja being the most recent one.

Five more that Bowyer is talking about would give us the 2 per position that he’s aiming for.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    We need two midfielders as good or better than Cullen and Bielik as a priority. Then we need to bolster the squad with three or four decent others as a minimum.
  • Options
    I have to admit that I’ve never fully been on board the Forster-Caskey fan club. I’m just not really sure what he offers - is he an attacking or defensive player? Always felt he just made up numbers, even when we were in League 1.
  • Options
    Solely on today's performance only Williams, Taylor and Aneke
    looked anything like Championship class.

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    People slagging off Aneke before the game, he was our best player for me.

Very impressed by him - only concern is he needs to be quicker to shoot. A real unit.
    Big, Strong, Quick, good touch... Yep his shot was a bit late, but even that was hit hard.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2019
    That was a slap round the face, and a kick up the arris, with 16 league home wins last season, we’ve got used to doing that too other teams.
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Must not forget Villa have spent over £100m on 11 players, just a little more than us
    Villas side was basically the one they had last season in the champ. We’re in trouble!
    We're not looking to compete for the Play-Off though - On our budget we should be ignoring them and looking at a fight with the other teams in the bottom half of the table

We’re not but if we’re to stand a chance of competing with those teams we need to have half a shot at getting some points off the top 12 and Villa’s 5th placed team last season could’ve had us 7 or 8-1 today! 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Sage said:
    I presume thats three at the back?

Phillips
    Oshilaja | Lockyer | Sarr
    Solly |  Williams | Pratley | Forster-Caskey | Purrington
    Aneke | Taylor
    Yes, Aneke dropping into midfield at times to allow Williams to float out wide so we can double up when attacking.

Decent team, just need to pad it out with quality on the bench and one or two to come in as starters.
    That team gets thrashed in this league.  Need 5 or 6 better players to start, not more padding. 
    Not sure why anyone would lol this, we need 5 of 6 1st team players pdq
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    I have to admit that I’ve never fully been on board the Forster-Caskey fan club. I’m just not really sure what he offers - is he an attacking or defensive player? Always felt he just made up numbers, even when we were in League 1.
    Imagine Semedo, but not as effective defensively and not as good at passing sideways. He's the man we have to replace in that squad for me.
  • Options
    He is a significantly better than average League One player with the potential to be higher, but who has also just come back from a serious injury. We shouldn't write him off, but we shouldn't rely on him being the answer either.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Actually enjoyed being back at The Valley, but so much of our club screamed tinpot today. 
    Especially the bit after the match , with people queuing up to have their picture taken with Solly and the trophy, and by the tine they got there he’d gone, Bartrams also shut before the game?
  • Options
    Actually enjoyed being back at The Valley, but so much of our club screamed tinpot today. 
    Especially the bit after the match , with people queuing up to have their picture taken with Solly and the trophy, and by the tine they got there he’d gone, Bartrams also shut before the game?
    If you are talking about it in Crossbars, it was a disaster. A mass scrum with no planning, coordination or support. Really felt for the players and Tracey
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    cafctom said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    cafctom said:
    Imagine Semedo, but not as effective defensively and not as good at passing sideways. He's the man we have to replace in that squad for me.
    If we bring in three first team midfielders then JFC might only be a squad player. He's good enough for that considering our budget.

He's nothing like Semedo. Here's a reminder of what he can offer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mO-zugsjoD0
  • Options
    He may step up, but we should allow him to do that rather than pin all our hopes on him. Hardly fair on him given he has come back from a serious injury. Not right to write him off though - he definitely could step up.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scoham said:
    cafctom said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    cafctom said:
    If we bring in three first team midfielders then JFC might only be a squad player. He's good enough for that considering our budget.

He's nothing like Semedo. Here's a reminder of what he can offer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mO-zugsjoD0
    Apologies you're quite right, he's nothing like Semedo and today he was much shitter as cm's go.

I rated him above Cullen before his injury, sure Cullen is the better, more rounded player, but I had JFC up there and at the time couldn't understand signing Cullen. 

I see I was wrong now. I just had higher hopes of him considering he's been back fit enough to be in the squad since the end of April.

However all of this ignores we were playing a team that just spent over £120m. 

• Options
    RedJohn said:
    Because he knows he ain't going to get 7 or 8. 4 or 5  loans as even players on a feee wont play for 4k per week. 
  • Options
    Solely on today's performance only Williams, Taylor and Aneke
    looked anything like Championship class.

Agreed mate we need layers in fast 
  • Options
    Fact: We have about 9-players

On that basis, I’d sign Harriott and any of his mates that can kick a ball half straight and see how we get on. I believe the telephone mnemonic is “we need numbers”...
  • Options
    My take on our current squad, having been to Welling & Colchester is.......

Harriet is decent & beggars not being choosers we should sign him up. 

Lockyer has not really impressed. I think he was brought in because he can play out from the back. I'm not convinced.

Not seen enough of Aneke. Same goes for Bonne, who reminds me of the Jones boys (Andy & Steve) who both ran around, put in lots of effort but ultimately werent good enough for the division we were in at the time. 

Taylor has looked uninterested - I've got a feeling he wont sign an extension & will be off (either before Aug 8tb or in the new year)

Morgan is better than Lapslie. Fuck cares if he cant defend, he's not in the team to do that. Can Pratley play a through ball or Sarr score 20 goals a season. No. 

Solly is 3rd choice RB. Wiredo is 2nd choice. 

Williams is mustard.

None of the other youngsters are good enough....borne out by LB today. 
  • Options
    Enjoyed being back at The Valley, but so much of our club screamed amateurish today
    Yeah, they ran out of hot dogs and hot water for the tea at half time. I wonder who ate all the hot dogs, eh?
  • Options

Lockyer has not really impressed. I think he was brought in because he can play out from the back. I'm not convinced.

Not seen enough of Aneke. Same goes for Bonne, who reminds me of the Jones boys (Andy & Steve) who both ran around, put in lots of effort but ultimately werent good enough for the division we were in at the time. 

Taylor has looked uninterested - I've got a feeling he wont sign an extension & will be off (either before Aug 8tb or in the new year)

Morgan is better than Lapslie. Fuck cares if he cant defend, he's not in the team to do that. Can Pratley play a through ball or Sarr score 20 goals a season. No. 

Williams is mustard.

I'm with you on most of that other than Morgan, I think there's real quality there, for the future, but he'll be eaten alive in the championship right now. He can't defend and as much as he can ping a beautiful 50 yard pass we'll have let in 3 by the time he does. He also needs to work on his off ball positioning. A loan where he plays regularly in League 1 or 2 and he could come back mustard next year.

I'd keep Lapslie, he's not going to start, but if we have a slender lead at home, or hanging on with a draw away from he's someone who can come on for the last 10 minutes and help sure up the game, he'll run like only Steve Brown could, be brave and will put his body on the line.

Disagree on Solly, not sure he's now automatic first choice but his experience could well be vital this season.
  • Options
    The player we miss most is Aribo. Even if we got Bielik and Cullen back it would not make up for his loss, they are both more defensive midfielders than attacking and usually did not work that well in the same 11.
    I really struggle to imagine who we could loan in this week who would make a difference to that rubbish midfield today. Are there really 2-3 loanable players out there of Championship quality who we could afford to bring in? Bowyer says agents are laughing at him.
  • Options

Williams is mustard.

Surprised you don't have Solly down as fourth or fifth choice. Can't wait to see Wiredo starting.