Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Aston Villa (Chris Solly testimonial) - Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    @MuttleyCAFC tried to explain what was going to happen pre match.

Don't get the point of criticism after being out classes by a Premier side that has spent more than a 100 million to go with their play off winning side.

If we don't get some class in our midfield the ball will keep coming back with interest and even Bauer would have struggled.
    The loans will make or break our season.
    No time to bed in before season kicks off next Saturday.

I would've gone today to support Solly but was in Weymouth in the sun and breeze (no rain) watching Female beach volleyball for ethereal and Athletic performances not pervy reasons !  

• Options
    edited July 2019
    Postives- err not many
    William's looked good gave 110%
    Chunk looked a beast of a player
    It was sollys testimonial

Negatives- loads
    Taylor looked poor
    Amos was shocking
    The hotdogs at £4.30 were the worst I've ever had also they didn't serve chips
    Being in West stand is awfull
    The atmosphere from us was woefull
    The subs selection was very poor we need  additions fast
    Villa fans are knobs

summery-
    Anyone who didn't go done well and didn't miss anything other than chunks debut 
    It's going to be a long season ahead I fear
    See you all in a fortnight
  • Options
    The gap in class got more obvious as the game went on. If you're going to keep playing out of the back you need technically adept players - we were far too ponderous and risk losing possession due to poor decision making.

If JFC and Pratley are starters in the midfield then we're f***ed. We need more attacking threat and be able to retain possession.

Lockyer looked way out of his depth to me - maybe struggling with the formation? Him and Solly didn't gel together.

Aneke looks a proper unit and much of his game was impressive - not sure if his finishing is up to scratch?

We did create chances during the game but for me defence/midfield just aren't good enough and we could ship an awful lot of goals.
  • Options
    What I’d give for a Jack Grealish and a John McGinn ... that’s the quality we’ll be up against in many games next season. Not much to shout home about today but it was only a pre-season friendly. Thought Jonny and Chuks looked good and we need to keep them injury free. Desperately need some quality this week otherwise it could be a long, long season 
  • Options
    Building on the point @seth plum made above, did those who were there today notice anything about the “mood”, body language etc.  Couldn’t tell from the stream other than it’s obvious Lyle is out of sorts. Do we seem generally positive and together or are there signs of disharmony (which would be understandable under all of the circs)?  I’m not looking for any, just asking the question. 
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    @MuttleyCAFC tried to explain what was going to happen pre match.

Don't get the point of criticism after being out classes by a Premier side that has spent more than a 100 million to go with their play off winning side.

If we don't get some class in our midfield the ball will keep coming back with interest and even Bauer would have struggled.
    The loans will make or break our season.
    No time to bed in before season kicks off next Saturday.

I would've gone today to support Solly but was in Weymouth in the sun and breeze (no rain) watching Female beach volleyball for ethereal and Athletic performances not pervy reasons !  

I thought it would be worse to be fair, but I over estimated Villa in all honesty. I thought they were poor in the final third. Yes they scored four goals but we were very poor defensively. The midfield plays a part in that and that is the priority. I think Taylor and Aneke can cause problems. What are their relegation odds? I think I might have some of that if decent.

As it stands, I can't see how we can keep teams out. Hard to see anything but a defeat at Blackburn. Of course we are worried about putting out an eleven strong enough to compete but we need to be able to cover injuries as well. It shouldn't be like this, this late in the day but it is and now it is up to Bowyer and his team to pull some rabbits out of the bag as he managed last season. Don't bank on it though, it is bloody hard with no money!
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Must not forget Villa have spent over £100m on 11 players, just a little more than us
    We've spent €11 on 100m rumours...
    Give 90 % of that to Corbyn
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Building on the point @seth plum made above, did those who were there today notice anything about the “mood”, body language etc.  Couldn’t tell from the stream other than it’s obvious Lyle is out of sorts. Do we seem generally positive and together or are there signs of disharmony (which would be understandable under all of the circs)?  I’m not looking for any, just asking the question. 
    Solly looked pissed off with Lockyer - Solly seemed to get little or no support down the right.

Don't understand the focus on Lyle on here? Not at his best but he played okay.

Amos looked a bit nervy to me.
  • Options
    Actually I thought Lyle played with a good attitude. So did Solly, Pratley, Lockyer, Oshilaja, Lapslie, Harriott, Phillips, of those I can remember. I won't comment on how they played, but at the game I thought Lockyer wasn't as bad as some others here seem to think.
    Survival when you have the lowest budget in the league has to be built on hard work and team spirit, if some of the players can do a bit as well, then all well and good.
    Incidentally the Villa fans were entertained by the lonely figure retrieving the ball from the empty East Stand.
    Oh I forgot to say the defeat was probably down to Bowyers choice of attire, he wasn't his usual dapper self.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Actually I thought Lyle played with a good attitude. So did Solly, Pratley, Lockyer, Oshilaja, Lapslie, Harriott, Phillips, of those I can remember. I won't comment on how they played, but at the game I thought Lockyer wasn't as bad as some others here seem to think.
    Survival when you have the lowest budget in the league has to be built on hard work and team spirit, if some of the players can do a bit as well, then all well and good.
    Incidentally the Villa fans were entertained by the lonely figure retrieving the ball from the empty East Stand.
    Oh I forgot to say the defeat was probably down to Bowyers choice of attire, he wasn't his usual dapper self.
    We have a lot of journeyman players in the team so we do risk being overrun against some of the better teams in the Championship. We need to be be very organised to avoid shipping a lot of goals.

There is only so much LB can do with this squad - let's hope we have enough to stay up.

Looking forward to watching Aneke this season.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    All in all a pretty good work out for the Addicks. The first time we’ve played a ‘competitive’, ok, semi-competitive game since Wembley. None of those four goals should have happened, we could have scored a couple. Some good performances, mr Williams was a stand out player for me, Kyle looked class in that to me it seemed like he was wisely treating the game for what it was as a stepping stone to match fitness for next week but still let his markers know they their hands full. Aneke looks like he is going to be a charlton legend this year and that power shit around the 49th minute was a nice appertiser for what we can expect this season. JFC... welcome back, you’ve been missed. Nice touch Sarr to pass back and keep Dhillon on his toes by the way. Good to get that one out of the system and that young Solly looks promising
  • Options
    'power shit'.
    I dream of having one of those.
  • Options
    Lockyer worryingly small for a central defender, got muscled out far too often. Reckon Pierce will be first choice. 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    'power shit'.
    I dream of having one of those.
    I've got one word for you Seth....... Rhubarb!  ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Glad to learn Lockyer is the new scapegoat for the upcoming season.
    Didn't play well for me and seemed at odds with the formation. 
  • Options
    Taylor was calling to the bench and pointing at his bottom :o  before coming off.
  • Options
    Is there a cooling-off/money back clause in the Amos deal? 45 minutes of goalkeeping disaster and the direct cause of two goals.
  • Options
    To me it looked like one of Lockyer's strengths is in tackling and blocking. Whether it is enough, or good enough remains to be seen.
    The notion that Lockyer should be scapegoated seems to me to be absurd. The games will be about things that happen, events and all that, I anticipate that next season a few crucial Lockyer tackles will win us points, I only hope any weaknesses in other areas of Lockyer's play won't cost us points.
    Perhaps it is about partnerships and deployment and balancing out the strengths and weaknesses of the whole team. Was Sarr so much better than Lockyer defensively today?
  • Options
    7,532 attendance.
  • Options
    Glad to learn Lockyer is the new scapegoat for the upcoming season.

I thought CL members would at least have the decency to wait to HT in our first League match at Blackburn. 
    Normal service is resumed after the last 7 games of last season.

• Options
    seth plum said:
    To me it looked like one of Lockyer's strengths is in tackling and blocking. Whether it is enough, or good enough remains to be seen.
    The notion that Lockyer should be scapegoated seems to me to be absurd. The games will be about things that happen, events and all that, I anticipate that next season a few crucial Lockyer tackles will win us points, I only hope any weaknesses in other areas of Lockyer's play won't cost us points.
    Perhaps it is about partnerships and deployment and balancing out the strengths and weaknesses of the whole team. Was Sarr so much better than Lockyer defensively today?
    Lockyer may be a very good player but I can only comment on what I've seen. It strikes me that like Sarr he needs to be more decisive when up against pacey teams as he risks getting caught in possession and he seemed to be out of position a lot.
  • Options
    _MrDick said:
    What I’d give for a Jack Grealish and a John McGinn ... that’s the quality we’ll be up against in many games next season. Not much to shout home about today but it was only a pre-season friendly. Thought Jonny and Chuks looked good and we need to keep them injury free. Desperately need some quality this week otherwise it could be a long, long season 
    There aren't many players in the championship as good as Jack Grealish, he's not the standard 
    His calves!
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Bottom line is pre season means nothing. Thanks to those who posted other Prem v Champ results for a bit of perspective.

I will start to get worried about our chances of survival if we get spanked 4-1 at Blackburn next week but until then it’s out of my hands so I’m not going to get worked up over it.

I trust LB, JJ and Gallen to bring in the right players and still believe that we will better than three other teams this season.
  • Options
    Lost 4-1 and there was no booing exactly as I said @MuttleyCAFC