Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Aston Villa (Chris Solly testimonial) - Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    George Robert Lapslie could be mega this year. He has the ability to positively influence games, particularly games we are winning. Bowyer rates him and so do I.
    :neutral:
  • Options
    Watching the interview on Valley Pass he’s not convinced Lapslie is ready for the Championship.
  • Options
    Lockyer might struggle against a big unit, but then the championship is not so much about lumping the ball up front, but more about playing it out from the back. And he needs a bit of time to settle in too.

JFC also needs to be cut a bit of slack. Mentally he's probably still getting back into the zone, as much as physically. 

And criticising Taylor at this stage is foolhardy at best. He was huge on and off the pitch last season and the club needs him to sign new contract. 

More players are definitely needed, but amongst all the difficulties happening off the field, the fans have got to keep positive towards the players currently in the squad. 

• Options
    Lapslie is not ready for Championship , nor is Morgan or Bonne  . Aston Villa have a lot of pace in their side and Grealish is real quality . Unlikely to play a side as as good as this in the league so not all doom and gloom  . Williams will cause teams problems,  but we need better than JFC and Pratley .
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    One word for me, patience.

patience as we have 12 days until the window shuts and Bowyer says we will, in fact we must get 5 or 6 in.  I trust him to do that 

patience in that our team that was playing so well at the end of last season got decimated and we lost some key players.  That was the 26th May, it’s now the 27th July.  That’s just 2 months ago

patience in that our season will be played out over 46 games.  We may have a slow start.  We did last season.  We may have a very bad start.  Fact is, we’ll have a season to have a crack at it, nothing will be decided if we’re sitting bottom after 6 games in August.

patience in that getting worked up over a 4-1 defeat to a team that have just shelled out £100m isn’t going to be representative of all the teams we face this season

patience in that Bristol City, a team who are outside favourites for promotion this season got thumped 5-0 today. 

Bowyer did a great interview with radio London after the game.  He knows, we know and even Chris Solly said, we’ve got to stick with them this season, it’s going to be tough.  

I have every faith we’ll be a championship team next season and the pre-season to date has done nothing to change my opinion 
    That’s a post straight out of the Russell Slade textbook. Love it.
  • Options
    Bringing on Lapslie to shore up the game failed spectacularly almost every time it was tried last season, with the result that Pratley became designated shorer-upper, and while I wasn't too happy with this, I'll concede* it worked slightly better

*generally neither team did with Big Darren on the field!
  • Options
    Thought Lockyer was poor. Very lightweight for a CB. 
    Liked the look of Chuks and Oshilaja
    Amos looks in dire need of confidence 

as others have said, Villa are streets ahead of most teams we’ll meet this season and tbf there wasn’t much between the two sides first half 
  • Options
    Lapslie deffo needs a loan away, if Bows thinks Morgan aint ready than there is no way Lapslie is
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Lapslie and Morgan are different players - I would keep Lapslie as a sub that can bring some energy into midfield. Morgan is more exciting, but needs to work on all aspects of his game in a environment he can.
  • Options
    The full game is on Youtube
    https://youtu.be/SZQlUZ2Imwc
  • Options
    Only real comforting part from yesterday was there were a number of other Champ teams that got gubbed at home to lower to middling Prem teams.

We played some stuff at times but looked very inferior. I bet Solly was delighted for his testimonial the first time he had El Ghazi running at him like Ronaldo or Grealish cut past him.

A friendly so all comments, praise, criticisms are said with context. I’m hoping for a lot more from Lockyer from what we saw yesterday, he struggling against that big Davis and looks a very small centre half. Oshilaja wasn’t really in it for me, defensively we looked a very open unit and Purrington who I’ve always thought was a real steady Eddie looked anything but steady.

Midfield is a massive concern. I got a bit criticised at end of season for my views on JFC but imo even when / if he gets back to his old game it’s still a level below what we had in League One last season. And he’s still well off his old game. Pratley and Williams the only two to come out with any credit in a tough afternoon in midfield.

up top, it’s hard to judge in friendlies when the ball is rolled round defence a lot more and particularly in this one where we had less possession. However, Chuks was the only major positive of the day, looked a handful with a good touch and really impressed. Taylor on the other hand looks like he’s going to find this season a much harder. Glad he hit the net in what was a soft penalty where he went down pretty dramatically. 

Overall for a home hiding it was a pretty enjoyable game. If they are a week or two behind us in training it didn’t show as they looked a very fit unit. 
  • Options
    Other observations, I know some people are on holiday etc...but having just 2 out of 7 home sections open (and half empty) for our first post Wembley Valley outing and recognition for a very popular truer against decent opposition was disappointing. We both took 40k to Wembley but there is a massive support gulf between clubs like us and Villa.

Was embarrassing also having what seemed to be only one matchball and one poor kid having to climb up and go hunting round the East Stand for the ball everytime it went in there. 
  • Options
    Other observations, I know some people are on holiday etc...but having just 2 out of 7 home sections open (and half empty) for our first post Wembley Valley outing and recognition for a very popular truer against decent opposition was disappointing. We both took 40k to Wembley but there is a massive support gulf between clubs like us and Villa.

Was embarrassing also having what seemed to be only one matchball and one poor kid having to climb up and go hunting round the East Stand for the ball everytime it went in there. 
    The ballboy situation was utterly ridiculous - Solly ended up going in the stand to retrieve it at one point.
  • Options

One of only 2 clubs in a massive city, and one of the best supported clubs in the country. It's no comparison.
  • Options

Maybe the idea of testimonials for extremely well paid fit young men doesn't go down well with a lot of people (Sollys went to charity I believe). 
    We live local and it still cost me over £30. As we know a lot of ours travel quite a way to the Valley so any game costs a bit.
  • Options
    Should also add, Villa are a great example of what decent owners can do.

Was only 15 months ago they lost the play off final and had big debt issues and were looking at a fire sale if they couldn't gain new investment quickly.

Suddenly 2 billionaires come on board and now look at them. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:
    So, less 'decent owners', more 'two billionaires'
    Theyve done a lot of other great things for The club, very much decent owners!
  • Options
    I'll admit they do seem to have the right attitude, yes, but they are extraordinarily minted, which helps 
  • Options

Don’t blame the fans, blame Duchatelet. If there is hope fans will turn up. RD is sucking every ounce of hope out of the club so people fail to become enthused.

Had there been a take over leading up to Solly’s testimonial the gate could well have been doubled. The Wembley win was a brief respite in a journey of despair.
    If you a talking about a friendly game centred around paying respect and thanks to a long serving 100%er where none of the money goes to Duchâtelet, then in this instance no I won’t blame Duchâtelet mate. In fact, I would have thought this would have been a good opportunity for those boycotting to get a conscience-free Valley visit in?

Anyway, digressing. Key point I was making was that in my opinion it was a disappointing home turnout for what the game was. 

It was a worthy testimonial for a long serving player - disappointing turnout. Saying you didn't go because RD is the owner is not an excuse as AFKA says.
  • Options

Don’t blame the fans, blame Duchatelet. If there is hope fans will turn up. RD is sucking every ounce of hope out of the club so people fail to become enthused.

Had there been a take over leading up to Solly’s testimonial the gate could well have been doubled. The Wembley win was a brief respite in a journey of despair.
    If you a talking about a friendly game centred around paying respect and thanks to a long serving 100%er where none of the money goes to Duchâtelet, then in this instance no I won’t blame Duchâtelet mate. In fact, I would have thought this would have been a good opportunity for those boycotting to get a conscience-free Valley visit in?

Anyway, digressing. Key point I was making was that in my opinion it was a disappointing home turnout for what the game was. 

Disappointing for Solly, of course, but hardly surprising. Showing respect to the long serving player is not the way most fans think these days. 

The crowd yesterday was largely driven by how people feel about the club, not a protest, more like disillusionment. And that’s down to RD.

Just the way it is.....mate.
  • Options
    My main take away is that as expected black print on red shirts looks terrible.
  • Options

Disappointing for Solly, of course, but hardly surprising. Showing respect to the long serving player is not the way most fans think these days. 

The crowd yesterday was largely driven by how people feel about the club, not a protest, more like disillusionment. And that’s down to RD.

Just the way it is.....mate.
    A lot of people couldn't be arsed to go to show their respect to Chris and RD seems to be a handy excuse. If these fans were so disillusioned by your logic they wouldn't have gone to Wembley.