Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jonny Williams (pg. 10 - signed??)

Comments

• Options
    I think he is a rare breed of footballer one who is now more interested in being welcome and not moving around clubs anymore 
    Then why hasn’t he signed yet? He must be waiting for something to happen regarding another offer that he could potentially get. 
  • Options
    Of course he is waiting for a better offer - whether we get him or not would depend on whether that happens. It is a short career and fair enough. I think that the spell with us showed he is still a very good footballer but it didn't confirm his injury woes are totally behind him. Somebody is going to have to take a risk and that may mean he has a decent chance of starting the season as a Charlton player. 
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    I think he is a rare breed of footballer one who is now more interested in being welcome and not moving around clubs anymore 
    Then why hasn’t he signed yet? He must be waiting for something to happen regarding another offer that he could potentially get. 
    Or, we just haven't made him an offer yet?
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Or, we just haven't made him an offer yet?
    You may be right, but I’d be amazed if we had taken him on a training camp to Spain to be part of our preparations if we hadn’t at least given him something to think about.
  • Options
    I firmly believe Jonny will be signing a contract by the end of the week. This isn't inside knowledge, just an educated statement/guess.

Now they're all back from Spain and we have just less than 4 weeks until the start of the season, I think we are going to see a lot more movement.

Clubs in the Premier League are also back properly this week now too so everything is a lot more accessible. It filters down the leagues.
  • Options
    He should sign a 2 or 3 year deal with Charlton ASAP. That he will be taking a pay cut is a given but i suspect the wages will still actually put him in the top 5% of earners in the country and if he can’t get by on that then it’s time for a rethink on household finances. Having a lower wage is also better than having no wage. Playing for charlton, the manager, coach and team mates he already knows and in front of charlton fans is something he already knows is good for him personally on so many fronts so there isn’t anything else to be added on that. Playing in the championship makes him more marketable than not playing if he wants to get back to higher wages elsewhere. Signing a 2 or 3 year contract gives him some stability and makes it easier for other clubs to make their minds up as opposed to having a one year deal running down a day at a time when the temptation will be to wait until the contract has almost run out before making any offer. Sign a contract now or chance losing out if LB uses the budget up by bringing in those 2 or 3 permanent signings and 4 loan players
  • Options
    I would like him to sign a 2 or 3 year deal, but if I was his agent, I'd suggest a 1 year one.
  • Options
    He should sign a 2 or 3 year deal with Charlton ASAP. That he will be taking a pay cut is a given but i suspect the wages will still actually put him in the top 5% of earners in the country and if he can’t get by on that then it’s time for a rethink on household finances. Having a lower wage is also better than having no wage. Playing for charlton, the manager, coach and team mates he already knows and in front of charlton fans is something he already knows is good for him personally on so many fronts so there isn’t anything else to be added on that. Playing in the championship makes him more marketable than not playing if he wants to get back to higher wages elsewhere. Signing a 2 or 3 year contract gives him some stability and makes it easier for other clubs to make their minds up as opposed to having a one year deal running down a day at a time when the temptation will be to wait until the contract has almost run out before making any offer. Sign a contract now or chance losing out if LB uses the budget up by bringing in those 2 or 3 permanent signings and 4 loan players
    I really think that Williams is included in the 3 permanent signings we will be looking to make.
  • Options
    I would like him to sign a 2 or 3 year deal, but if I was his agent, I'd suggest a 1 year one.
    If I was his agent I’d tell him to take a 3 year deal and i’ll sort out the negotiations and details if there is any interest from another club; and a 3 year deal makes more sense in case you get injured. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2019
    Sage said:
    I really think that Williams is included in the 3 permanent signings we will be looking to make.
    He no doubt is but a budget is a budget and if the budget gets used up on 2 other permanent deals and 4 loan players in the meantime then if that 3rd permanent deal player is JW he won’t get an offer unless RD increases the budget. The thing about playing ‘chicken’ and pushing it to the last minute hoping the other side will blink first is sometimes you lose.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    A three year deal for someone with his injury record?

A one year deal with an option for another year if he plays 30 games
    If the concern is with his injury record (what is it by the way ?) then it’s best to not offer him a deal at all. He is a small guy who constantly dribbles past opposition players when he has the ball. Any player that does that is going to get hit multiple times in a game and sometimes they will get hurt. 
  • Options
    buckshee said:
    No idea if it can be uploaded but I’ve linked it here. 

https://vimeo.com/346590467

I'm amazed the players knew all the words they were singing ...... brilliant!

:smile:

• Options
    edited July 2019
    Oggy Red said:
    buckshee said:

Except they seem to be singing “Olé olé olé” - isn’t it supposed to be “Allez allez allez”?
     :) 
  • Options
    A three year deal for someone with his injury record?

A one year deal with an option for another year if he plays 30 games
    If the concern is with his injury record (what is it by the way ?) then it’s best to not offer him a deal at all. He is a small guy who constantly dribbles past opposition players when he has the ball. Any player that does that is going to get hit multiple times in a game and sometimes they will get hurt. 
    If he’s drawing fouls, it’s great, getting hurt is a downside but so many goals come from set pieces it’s surely worth 12 months with an option to extend.
    To be fair to him, the injuries have been mostly different.
    dislocated shoulder a couple of times but there’s nothing to say that he couldn’t have a relatively injury free season.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    buckshee said:

Except they seem to be singing “Olé olé olé” - isn’t it supposed to be “Allez allez allez”?
    If you watch some fan vids from Wembley, a lot of people are singing ole ole ole instead of allez
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    buckshee said:

And they stopped at the second verse. We can't complain, we want them focusing on the game rather than the lyrics :)
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    buckshee said:

And they stopped at the second verse. We can't complain, we want them focusing on the game rather than the lyrics :)
    I wonder how many of them actually know who Sam Batram and Jimmy Seed are
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    That would be an interesting question to ask. The big clues for them would be the statue outside the Valley main entrance and at the top of the Jimmy Seed stand. As long as they play well it doesn't matter. 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    buckshee said:

One of the loudest singers was Solls. I would be stunned if he didn't know who they were!
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    I would hope they all know who they are.

If you play your home matches in a stadium with a statue outside, and you dont know who it is then surely you research who it is.

Same if you play in a stadium with one of the stands named.

I am just a fan but if I go to an away ground with a stand named and I dont know who it is, then I google it
  • Options
    I would hope they all know who they are.

If you play your home matches in a stadium with a statue outside, and you dont know who it is then surely you research who it is.

Same if you play in a stadium with one of the stands named.

I am just a fan but if I go to an away ground with a stand named and I dont know who it is, then I google it
    I don't bother with Google Paulie , I just ask the wife  ;) .:
  • Options
    I am not ITK just IMO. 
    JW is waiting for offers and we are waiting on signing(s), my guess is that if JW gets a good offer elsewhere, he will go, but if our targets fall through we will make him a compromise offer. 
    It will prob be like Henry says, a one year deal based on appearances. 
    Then its a judgement call for him. 
    If the offer is (e.g.) 15k Swansea - he would go there 
    If the offer is (e.g.)12k Sunderland, he would look seriously at 10k from us with and extra year if he plays 30 games. 
    Heres hoping. 
    Curbs once spent a million in wages on some hothead Italian bloke in the Prem and it turned out very well. 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    buckshee said:

If you watch some fan vids from Wembley, a lot of people are singing ole ole ole instead of allez
    Who cares all that mattered is we won and out sung Sunderland fans
  • Options
    Sage said:
    I firmly believe Jonny will be signing a contract by the end of the week. This isn't inside knowledge, just an educated statement/guess.

Now they're all back from Spain and we have just less than 4 weeks until the start of the season, I think we are going to see a lot more movement.

Clubs in the Premier League are also back properly this week now too so everything is a lot more accessible. It filters down the leagues.
    Looking at our squad right now, that is a very worrying statement.
  • Options
    I am not ITK just IMO. 
    JW is waiting for offers and we are waiting on signing(s), my guess is that if JW gets a good offer elsewhere, he will go, but if our targets fall through we will make him a compromise offer. 
    It will prob be like Henry says, a one year deal based on appearances. 
    Then its a judgement call for him. 
    If the offer is (e.g.) 15k Swansea - he would go there 
    If the offer is (e.g.)12k Sunderland, he would look seriously at 10k from us with and extra year if he plays 30 games. 
    Heres hoping. 
    Curbs once spent a million in wages on some hothead Italian bloke in the Prem and it turned out very well. 
    10k from us wouldn’t happen
  • Options
    It's possible that we are looking to tie up a deal with Oztumer, having made him a take it or leave it final offer. Then, if he leaves it, we sign up Jonny.

Just conjecture.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Oggy Red said:
    buckshee said:

If they read Charlton Life, they'll think they are really AFKA Bartram and James Seed. :smile:

This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!