Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Mackems

Comments

• Options
    Alreet soft lads. Thought I'd drop in and say hello.

You are mostly very confident I see. I'd say its a pure 50/50. No favourite at all. 

We go into it ok-ish. Obviously the season end was flat but beating what many seemed to think was an unbeatable (for us) Portsmouth has given us a boost. I think the poor season end was overplayed, with the Southend on last day especially being a nothing game for us. 

We won't have Mcgeady of course and that is a blow. He might make the bench but he hasn't trained for a month and in the minutes he has played with the fractured foot, he's looked understandably off the pace. 

But I'm still reasonably confident. Despite what some Sunderland fans think, personally I think this squad has good mental strength.
    The defense has been ok and although we are not high goalscoring, we can get one of two. 

I think we will set up for a tight game. Can't see anything like a 3-3. Think your best opportunity against us is height and pace.

Despite all the talk of biggest budget in the league when you analyse our squad it's slow and small. 

On the crowd front we are not convinced we will sell out. The checkatrade final seems to have blown everyone out in several ways. Money seems to be the main issue, and having already been there only weeks ago, there is not the same motivation to push the boat out again. It's only Tuesday though, they might have been sold by the end of the week. I'm not expecting the Trafalgar Square display again as many more are there and back in a day to save money.
    What it might help with though is the atmosphere, with everyone being completely ruined by time CT kicked off from the day before.

There won't be any trouble anyhow and there seems to be good relations between the two sets of fans. 

Anyway, that's enough for now. 
    Bloody relieved by what you say about McGeady's chances of missing the game

Do you think your season has been ruined by the fact that Josh Maja left?

In the two games against Portsmouth I was shocked at how slow your players appear to be, correct assessment would you say or am I missing something?
  • Options
    Even though it's Charlton and we can never take anything for granted, my inner belief was building a real head of steam until last Friday.
    On the plus side we did enough and guts'd our way through, but Donny did a real number on us and sowed the seeds of doubt in my mind especially if as likely Jack Ross was paying attention.

See I think Donny was our danger game and we got the job done and can take confidence from that (I certainly have)

two legged affairs are completely different to a final and I fancy us to do it.

sunderland are no mugs and if we don’t show up, don’t play our own game, they’ll do us but I reckon 2-1 Charlton within 90 minutes 
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    Yeltas said:
    Yeltas said:
    kimbo said:
    I am from Newcastle originally so hate Sunderland. It’s traditional Geordie v Mackem rivalary. And I am fed up of them thinking they are entitled to win. 
    To be fair and honest I think we will struggle against Sunderland especially if they have Mcgeedy available to play. I hope I’m wrong but I can see a Sunderland 3-1 win
    I take it you haven't seen much of us this season! Yes we can lose, but overall we have the better players. better players all over the pitch. 
    I am a season ticket holder but I have just joined this forum - I have missed about 4 games due to work commitments.
    i have witnessed some good games but also witnessed a lot of below average games. Sunday’s game will all be about what mind set we have as a team and can we manage the big game atmosphere. Sunderland have more experience in that department than we do, especially with the crowds they get and the recent visit to Wembley. I’m not expecting an easy win or even a win at all.
    Of course you are.

I'd guess you've been on 'Ready to Go' for years though.

EDIT: If you want to come on here pretending to be an Addick, then I suggest you don't use the same user name you use on RtG.
    RtG ?
  • Options
    Even though it's Charlton and we can never take anything for granted, my inner belief was building a real head of steam until last Friday.
    On the plus side we did enough and guts'd our way through, but Donny did a real number on us and sowed the seeds of doubt in my mind especially if as likely Jack Ross was paying attention.

And no doubt Bowyer was paying attention to. No repeat of friday. We will win.
  • Options
    edited May 2019

• Options

You are mostly very confident I see. I'd say its a pure 50/50. No favourite at all. 

We go into it ok-ish. Obviously the season end was flat but beating what many seemed to think was an unbeatable (for us) Portsmouth has given us a boost. I think the poor season end was overplayed, with the Southend on last day especially being a nothing game for us. 

We won't have Mcgeady of course and that is a blow. He might make the bench but he hasn't trained for a month and in the minutes he has played with the fractured foot, he's looked understandably off the pace. 

But I'm still reasonably confident. Despite what some Sunderland fans think, personally I think this squad has good mental strength.
    The defense has been ok and although we are not high goalscoring, we can get one of two. 

I think we will set up for a tight game. Can't see anything like a 3-3. Think your best opportunity against us is height and pace.

Despite all the talk of biggest budget in the league when you analyse our squad it's slow and small. 

On the crowd front we are not convinced we will sell out. The checkatrade final seems to have blown everyone out in several ways. Money seems to be the main issue, and having already been there only weeks ago, there is not the same motivation to push the boat out again. It's only Tuesday though, they might have been sold by the end of the week. I'm not expecting the Trafalgar Square display again as many more are there and back in a day to save money.
    What it might help with though is the atmosphere, with everyone being completely ruined by time CT kicked off from the day before.

There won't be any trouble anyhow and there seems to be good relations between the two sets of fans. 

I certainly don't get the impression we're all very confident!

My impression of the 2 sides is that we're currently the better team, especially if McGeady is unfit, and in a non pressure match we'd win, but that the pressure of the occasion will be an equaliser, especially as you've already been to Wembley. 
    We’ve not won at Wembley for 44 years if I remember correctly. Think there have been 5 visits since ‘73.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    TheMackem said:
    First of all thanks to those on here who’ve been in the main very complimentary about ourselves. 

Can honestly say I’ve never met a Charlton fan in real life but the games I’ve attended when the two sides have met you all seemed a canny bunch. The one that sticks out to me is the 1st game under McCarthy in our 15 point season when Bent scored. 

Wasn’t there for the 4-4. My dad deigned to leave 8 year old me at home probably so he could enjoy himself more. I watched it at home. I cried. I watched it on vhs more times than I can count since though... can’t attend this one either as my financial situation is shot due to getting married 6 days later.

On Sunday I can see one of two things happening. We keep it tight and then one bit of quality probably from Maguire, Taylor or made of crisps Jonny Williams settles it. Or the game opens up, several goals and probably goes to pens or something. Our Netflix doc makers already have their narrative so I’m praying for the first option with us coming out on top.

Game aside, all the best.
    If she’s not letting you go, I can give you some advice on what to do?

seriously though, congratulations on the forthcoming nuptials 
  • Options

In the two games against Portsmouth I was shocked at how slow your players appear to be, correct assessment would you say or am I missing something?
    On Maja, it certainly hasn’t helped.

Slow? Yes. They are.

This is probably why Watmore is making squads despite being nowhere near fit.
  • Options
    Yeltas said:
    Addickted said:
    Yeltas said:
    Yeltas said:
    kimbo said:
    I am from Newcastle originally so hate Sunderland. It’s traditional Geordie v Mackem rivalary. And I am fed up of them thinking they are entitled to win. 
    To be fair and honest I think we will struggle against Sunderland especially if they have Mcgeedy available to play. I hope I’m wrong but I can see a Sunderland 3-1 win
    I take it you haven't seen much of us this season! Yes we can lose, but overall we have the better players. better players all over the pitch. 
    I am a season ticket holder but I have just joined this forum - I have missed about 4 games due to work commitments.
    i have witnessed some good games but also witnessed a lot of below average games. Sunday’s game will all be about what mind set we have as a team and can we manage the big game atmosphere. Sunderland have more experience in that department than we do, especially with the crowds they get and the recent visit to Wembley. I’m not expecting an easy win or even a win at all.
    Of course you are.

EDIT: If you want to come on here pretending to be an Addick, then I suggest you don't use the same user name you use on RtG.
    Are you jealous because I’m more of a proper fan than you.
    i bet you only turned out on Friday gone and Sunday coming - I’ve come across many of your type 
    I think you've been well and truly been sussed out mate, the clock is ticking.
  • Options
    edited May 2019

One of our biggest weaknesses is the four players who tend to be used in the two central midfield spaces at various times (Cattermole, Leadbitter, McGeough and Power) are all much of a muchness. None of them are especially athletic, Power seems the fastest by virtue of youth alone. They’re all about 5’10/5’11. Loads of games this season you can see we’ve been crying out for a proper athlete in midfield.

Our centre halves are even slower. Flanagan, who is very much our first choice, turns slower than a battleship.  

• Options

I think our problem has been buying injured strikers. 

Wyke was injured and is only looking match fit now.
    Grigg has been very poor, but again he was injured when we bought him. I don't think he's anywhere near fit and my reading of his body language is that he doesn't want to play injured. 

Maja had an uncanny knack if finding bottom corner every time. 

We've not looked that threatening all season in my opinion. I reckon my son u10 team break faster than Sunderland. 
  • Options

Grigg has been very poor, but again he was injured when we bought him. I don't think he's anywhere near fit and my reading of his body language is that he doesn't want to play injured. 

We've not looked that threatening all season in my opinion. I reckon my son u10 team break faster than Sunderland. 

Wyke has looked a handful at times since he’s been fit but ultimately lacks quality. 

Maja should not not have been scoring the goals he was by rights. He was either the best finisher in the world or on a lucky streak. I know what my money is on - he hasn’t torn up trees in France. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Both of us screwed up in January

We both sold pacy, in form  strikers. We didn't replace Grant properly (and definitely dropped points in Jan/Feb as a result) while you had money but weren't able to bring anyone in, until (to an outsider) it seems that you panicked and paid an inflated fee for Grigg. 
  • Options

And no doubt Bowyer was paying attention to. .
    That's what I'm counting on.
    I think Bows has some big decisions to make; does he introduce one or 2 more experienced players into the starting 11? Does he go with midfield diamond etc?
  • Options
    NE3Mackem said:

One of our biggest weaknesses is the four players who tend to be used in the two central midfield spaces at various times (Cattermole, Leadbitter, McGeough and Power) are all much of a muchness. None of them are especially athletic, Power seems the fastest by virtue of youth alone. They’re all about 5’10/5’11. Loads of games this season you can see we’ve been crying out for a proper athlete in midfield.

Our centre halves are even slower. Flanagan, who is very much our first choice, turns slower than a battleship.  

Flanagan doesn't look like he'd be strong enough to be a centre back, looks quite scrawny but I guess that can be deceiving.

Other than McGeady and Maguire what creative players do you have? 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    NE3Mackem said:

Flanagan doesn't look like he'd be strong enough to be a centre back, looks quite scrawny but I guess that can be deceiving.

Morgan, Leadbitter from set pieces, then failing that probably Oviedo
  • Options
    Yeltas said:
    Addickted said:
    Yeltas said:
    Yeltas said:
    kimbo said:
    Of course you are.

Are you jealous because I’m more of a proper fan than you.
    i bet you only turned out on Friday gone and Sunday coming - I’ve come across many of your type 
    The message board world has some strange people post on them.
  • Options
    Talal said:
    NE3Mackem said:

Virtually none who can have (or are allowed to within our system) a massive influence on the game. Honeyman and Gooch are used in attacking roles but neither are anything special. They both work hard but ultimately very limited footballers who are riding on being academy products. 

As mentioned as well, Oviedo is actually a very, very good player but we haven’t seen much of him this season. 
  • Options
    Sunderland's goals will come from long range efforts. Really cannot see them troubling us beyond that. They do have some lads who are tidy from outside the box.
  • Options
    I forgot Morgan as well. Can’t help but feels he’s largely been average.
  • Options
    I'm hoping for the same result as 98, with Sunderland promoted the next season as before. They seem like a likeable level headed bunch to me.