Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pitch invasion

Comments

• Options
    The demographic might be changing.

Any kids who started following in the prem years would now be late teens/20s.

There does seem to be more, younger, "Herberts" at games making some noise and that sparks older Herbert's to join in.

Totally anecdotal thesis that needs to be peer reviewed and backed up with data.
    Agree. Let’s hope they get to Wembley rather than the flasks.  
  • Options
    I do wonder how much alcohol played a part in the pitch invasion, on top of the emotional outpouring.

Never seen so many people walking around the streets with cans bottles and even pint glasses  before the game. Seemed like a few had made an afternoon of it.

Gutting when you've come straight from work. 
  • Options
    Always been considered to have been a bit of a "lump" at 6" 1" and 16st but standing on the lower concourse at half time I felt like wrinkled midget - all the 20 somethings seemed to be 6" 4" .   
  • Options

There does seem to be more, younger, "Herberts" at games making some noise and that sparks older Herbert's to join in.

Totally anecdotal thesis that needs to be peer reviewed and backed up with data.
    But it's not anecdotal. Look at the Sky coverage of the post match celebrations. As you say, a changing democratic and notably in the 20/30 age range.

Very satisfying.
  • Options
    holyjo said:
    I was in the East and we stood for the whole game. I think this was my favourite ever game as a Charlton fan beating Spurs away in the third round of the cup in I think 84 or 85.   
    And we lost the actual match!!
    Didn’t we draw the game at WHL and lost the replay at The Valley?
    I meant Friday night!
  • Options
    kentred2 said:

Shouldn’t that be “as well as the flasks”.
    Incidentally what exactly do you mean by “the flasks,” speaking for myself I find it pretty demeaning.
    I assume you mean folk that have supported The Addicks for many decades (maybe since before you were born?)........pretty insulting if you ask me.
    We are all part of The Addicks family.......no need for thoughtless and ridiculous stereotyping............sonny.
  • Options
    kentred2 said:

Incidentally what exactly do you mean by “the flasks,” speaking for myself I find it pretty demeaning.
    I assume you mean folk that have supported The Addicks for many decades (maybe since before you were born?)........pretty insulting if you ask me.
    We are all part of The Addicks family.......no need for thoughtless and ridiculous stereotyping............sonny.
    Sonny lol.
    He's probably the same age as you.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    kentred2 said:

Sonny lol.
    He's probably the same age as you.
    I’ll have  a bet he isn’t.
  • Options
    kentred2 said:

Meant the day trippers going for a day out eg other clubs fans, family friends etc. Not addicks. And the fact they will be in lower tier seats where some noise would be good. 
  • Options
    Confident it’ll be a good atmos all over with those same 24,000 from friday night, even if there’s some day trippers added on
  • Options
    Great scenes and not a sofa or liar in sight.
  • Options
    kentred2 said:
    kentred2 said:

Meant the day trippers going for a day out eg other clubs fans, family friends etc. Not addicks. And the fact they will be in lower tier seats where some noise would be good. 
    Mmmmm ok, I will accept your explanation mate but it wasn’t clear from your original post and the older I get the more touchy I get about how others view the elderly and their worth.
    Incidentally, I was delighted to see how many younger fans there were at The Valley on Friday night........very very reassuring.
  • Options

Was thinking about this watching the pitch invasion. I believe the club put out a stat in recent years that the average age of our supporters on their database was 55. I am now 55 and when you look at crowd shots, there are lots of people visibly older than me. However, the vast majority on the pitch were clearly sub-55. I wonder if we have a generational gap amidst our following now? Certainly great to see the pitch invasion on the scale we did on Friday - real hope for the future.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

But it's not anecdotal. Look at the Sky coverage of the post match celebrations. As you say, a changing democratic and notably in the 20/30 age range.

Very satisfying.
    I saw @Live by the sword on the pitch, as was @ueaaddick
  • Options
    Rossman92 said:
    Here's the pic of the supporter in the electric wheelchair from Twitter. Fair play son!
    He posts on here, usually on the U18 threads.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rossman92 said:
    Here's the pic of the supporter in the electric wheelchair from Twitter. Fair play son!
    He posts on here, usually on the U18 threads.
    What a ledgend
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    SE7toSG3 said:
    Doncaster players reaped what they sowed at the end, no sympathy at all. Niggly, northern and chippy all night. 

As for the pitch invasion being premature, we were celebrating getting to Wembley not going up. Its not like we could do it next Sunday should we win. 

If not last night, when? 
    If not the Valley, where? 

It was a thing of beauty and I fell sorry for anyone who didnt feel the same outburst of uncontrollable emotion as those on the pitch and those rejoicing in the stands. 
    Will be a few banning orders next season once identified 
    Attendance 4,000 for the first home game.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    As I said, the scenes were amazing, but a full invasion feels like something that should only happen if we either win a trophy or secure promotion. This felt to me a bit premature!
    I would normally completely agree with that, but I think this one felt more cathartic with us having a packed Valley for the first time in years, and getting to Wembley for the first time in forever despite the shadow of Roland looming over us. I think this pitch invasion was about a lot more than winning a penalty shoot out so it troubled me less than it otherwise would.
    Couldn't have been more different than the Burnley one.
  • Options
    I must have missed it - did Parker score?