Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Notre Dame

Comments

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    MrOneLung said:
    It was and is a massive part of the heritage of France and of Europe.  It symbolises the faith of millions and also the culture of the country, that's why people are so upset, it isn't about a building.

However, absolutely right:  ordinary people suffer calamity with no recognition at all, or a few weasel words in the papers or on the news.  Billionaires should be having money forcibly removed to provide safe housing and other essential services, rather than being able to choose where they are going to "donate" their ill-gotten gains for maximum kudos.  In my opinion, obviously.
    why ?

How about we forcibly remove funds from you to pay for other people less fortunate than you?

This already happens.  it's called income tax and National insurance and council tax and VAT and prescription charges and opticians charges and dental charges.

Next.
    So Billionaires are not subject to income tax, national insurance, council tax and VAT and prescription charges and opticians charges and dental charges then ?

Next.
    Would you concede that some billionaires pay less tax than they are required to?
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    It's taken less than two days to go from "it's awful that an historic building is in ruins, I hope no-one is injured or killed" to "it's so unfair that I can't say unpleasant things about Muslims". 
    Who's said that?
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    MrOneLung said:
    It was and is a massive part of the heritage of France and of Europe.  It symbolises the faith of millions and also the culture of the country, that's why people are so upset, it isn't about a building.

However, absolutely right:  ordinary people suffer calamity with no recognition at all, or a few weasel words in the papers or on the news.  Billionaires should be having money forcibly removed to provide safe housing and other essential services, rather than being able to choose where they are going to "donate" their ill-gotten gains for maximum kudos.  In my opinion, obviously.
    why ?

How about we forcibly remove funds from you to pay for other people less fortunate than you?

This already happens.  it's called income tax and National insurance and council tax and VAT and prescription charges and opticians charges and dental charges.

Next.
    So Billionaires are not subject to income tax, national insurance, council tax and VAT and prescription charges and opticians charges and dental charges then ?

Next.
    A:  Not commensurate to their wealth

B I suspect that the majority invest in tax avoidance.
    To you....
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    It's taken less than two days to go from "it's awful that an historic building is in ruins, I hope no-one is injured or killed" to "it's so unfair that I can't say unpleasant things about Muslims". 
    Who's said that?
    One poster on here, who doesn't want to start an argument, is upset that people object to his negative comments ("ridiculous") about clothes Muslims wear. 

It's so far removed from the subject of the thread that it is, itself, ridiculous. 

Hopefully, all contributions to the refund cost will be welcomed, whatever their source. (That's to get the thread back on track).
  • Options
    so when it is Christianity/Catholicism it is okay to make jokes funny how when it is other religions it is a different set of rules. 

When they stop molesting young kids, I might have more sympathy for a burnt roof.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Please explain to me how it wasn't due to the actions of a huge invisible metal protecting flying turtle that is attracted to large fires...
    The tweet I saw in response to hers reliably informed her that gold has a much higher melting point than wood that also probably had a lot to do with it 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    MrOneLung said:

why ?

Next.

Next.
    They are, but many do their level best to avoid paying those things.

• Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Who's said that?
    One poster on here, who doesn't want to start an argument, is upset that people object to his negative comments ("ridiculous") about clothes Muslims wear. 

It's so far removed from the subject of the thread that it is, itself, ridiculous. 

Hopefully, all contributions to the refund cost will be welcomed, whatever their source. (That's to get the thread back on track).

watch our here comes judge judy 
  • Options
    But when I made a comment about wearing a burkha is ridiculous because we no longer live in medieval times ( a garment that is worn due to religion reasons ) I got flagged 5 times.....not intentionally starting an argument but just funny how it works on here. 
    Unless the people who flagged you are the same people who made the jokes, you don't really have a point. palarsehater said:
    so we've got France mourning a building that can be reperected with millions raised

and London being brought to its knees by some celery botherers. 
    I'm also not entirely sure what reperected means, but I assume you mean rebuilt, no, it can't. It will never be the same again.
    of course i do, as other posters agree with me. 

was clearly a spelling mistake, i meant repaired

do let me know when you are holding the next charlton life spelling bee
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I've never understood why it's seemingly ok to openly mock tripe like scientology, Mormonism and Jehovah witnesses etc but the equally baseless mainstream abrahamic fairy tales are sacrosanct and hugely off limits/ punishable to varying degrees.

Cognitive dissonance at it's finest. 
    It's a bunch of crap and should be mocked equally.
  • Options
    But when I made a comment about wearing a burkha is ridiculous because we no longer live in medieval times ( a garment that is worn due to religion reasons ) I got flagged 5 times.....not intentionally starting an argument but just funny how it works on here. 
    Unless the people who flagged you are the same people who made the jokes, you don't really have a point. palarsehater said:
    so we've got France mourning a building that can be reperected with millions raised

I'm also not entirely sure what reperected means, but I assume you mean rebuilt, no, it can't. It will never be the same again.

You can find people on the internet that agree the world is flat, doesn't make them right! You are basically saying Charlton Life has a problem, as some people find things funny, whilst others find the same things offensive, how is that a CL problem? That's life.

I wasn't trying to dig you out on spelling, which is why I tried to check what you meant, but again, you are wrong, the building can be restored, not repaired, it will never be the same again and Paris will be worse as a result. In the same way London would be worse if St Pauls was damaged.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Who's said that?

Right, so nobody said "it's so unfair that I can't say unpleasant things about Muslims". Cheers.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Who's said that?

Right, so nobody said "it's so unfair that I can't say unpleasant things about Muslims". Cheers.
    That's right. And nobody said "it's awful that an historic building is in ruins, I hope no-one is injured or killed". And I know you can see that those two comments in quote marks were intended as paraphrasing comment, not verbatim repetition. 

Do you think that all communities in France that make contributions to the rebuild should be lauded equally? (Getting the thread back on track. Again).
  • Options
    edited April 2019

You can find people on the internet that agree the world is flat, doesn't make them right! You are basically saying Charlton Life has a problem, as some people find things funny, whilst others find the same things offensive, how is that a CL problem? That's life.

I wasn't trying to dig you out on spelling, which is why I tried to check what you meant, but again, you are wrong, the building can be restored, not repaired, it will never be the same again and Paris will be worse as a result. In the same way London would be worse if St Pauls was damaged.
    i am saying that cl has a few hypocrites not a problem - i do not find it offensive just doing it on others behalf's, but my point is valid you cannot pick and choose what you find offensive. 

repair
    /rɪˈpɛː/
    verb
    1. 1.
      restore (something damaged, faulty, or worn) to a good condition.

yes it will be worse off but the level of support it has got has gone way and above ridiclous now. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Who's said that?

Some people just can't help putting words into other peoples mouths.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Who's said that?

That's right. And nobody said "it's awful that an historic building is in ruins, I hope no-one is injured or killed". And I know you can see that those two comments in quote marks were intended as paraphrasing comment, not verbatim repetition. 

Do you think that all communities in France that make contributions to the rebuild should be lauded equally? (Getting the thread back on track. Again).
    Paraphrasing whilst using quotation marks is considered very poor form.
  • Options

i am saying that cl has a few hypocrites not a problem - i do not find it offensive just doing it on others behalf's, but my point is valid you cannot pick and choose what you find offensive. 

repair
    /rɪˈpɛː/
    verb
    1. 1.

yes it will be worse off but the level of support it has got has gone way and above ridiclous now. 
    But no one has been a hypocrite, that was my point, the people who flagged you are not the same people making jokes about Christianity, are they?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don't know why God let it happen in the first place!
    It was HER way of letting the Catholic hierarchy know they were doing a terrible job in weeding out the paedophiles priests.
  • Options

repair
    /rɪˈpɛː/
    verb
    1. 1.

But no one has been a hypocrite, that was my point, the people who flagged you are not the same people making jokes about Christianity, are they?
    I think what @palarsehater is saying is that the hypocrisy lies with those that flag comments when some religions are rightly mocked but are silent and nowhere to be seen when other religions are rightly mocked.

Maybe.
    exactly
  • Options
    Quick, back on track now that I've been caught making up what people said, based solely on my unquestionable ability to know exactly what people mean when they speak words that have no correlation to how my head 'paraphrases' their speech.

May I just paraphrase what you actually mean there:

"nah, nah, nah, nah, nah - Chizzy rascal!"

• Options
    bobmunro said:
    Quick, back on track now that I've been caught making up what people said, based solely on my unquestionable ability to know exactly what people mean when they speak words that have no correlation to how my head 'paraphrases' their speech.

May I just paraphrase what you actually mean there:

"nah, nah, nah, nah, nah - Chizzy rascal!"

Missed you, Bob  :)
  • Options

repair
    /rɪˈpɛː/
    verb
    1. 1.

I think what @palarsehater is saying is that the hypocrisy lies with those that flag comments when some religions are rightly mocked but are silent and nowhere to be seen when other religions are rightly mocked.

Maybe.
    That makes sense I guess, still think the constant digs are CL are unnecessary, the owners put a lot of time and effort into this place and it's way better than 99.9% of the internet,
  • Options

Dont entre maate, you'l be art in the first rind.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Who's said that?

Paraphrasing whilst using quotation marks is considered very poor form.
    I used speech marks to make the sentence, which contained two such comments, easier to read.  I can see how some people would choose to assume that I was claiming someone had posted precisely those words.  I wasn't.  And, had I intended to do so, I would have used the facilities, is the quote function.  Maybe, on reflection, the point would have been better made if I had used italics, instead of quotation marks.  And, had I done that, the point I was making (that the thread had swiftly turned from something that had nothing to do with Muslims, to someone complaining that he wasn't allowed to post anything anti-Muslim) might have been better understood.  It still stands, however. 

I get your point that it's poor form and I will take steps to remember to avoid repeating it. 

Do you think Muslims - and all other members of French society - should be lauded for contributions to the rebuild fund?  I do.  
  • Options

repair
    /rɪˈpɛː/
    verb
    1. 1.

Maybe.
    That makes sense I guess, still think the constant digs are CL are unnecessary, the owners put a lot of time and effort into this place and it's way better than 99.9% of the internet,
    Not sure mate, I heard that AFKA bloke saying once that this forum is only 2% of his time and that those who moan about it is just a forum thing.

Heard he's trying to get a sofa installed in the "General Charlton" section n'all.

No ambition, we should be a Google search page 1 or 2 forum with the quality of our posters. Not languishing on page 48 competing with Tupperware chat.com and the John Barrowman Appreciation forum. 

I shall only be typing in black and white text herein to register my protest and may even boycott and go and start FC Charlton Life forum as I'm sick of this corporate bullshit and a forum owner only interested in the Lols

#notapostmore
    #campaignagainstafkabartram
    #CLARD 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!