Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Notre Dame

Comments

• Options
    Horrible to see.  In not religious but it was an incredibly beautiful building, there's a lot of history going up in smoke.
  • Options
    In response to your point though, I think they're blaming the Macron government for not addressing the speight of attacks on ancient buildings
    Is there a chance this is arson?
    See Gary's post on page 1 of this thread mate
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    this is what I saw. Quite significant restoration job. I believe that's the tower that no longer stands.
  • Options
    I am guessing they stayed open during the renovation and kept all the art there in order to keep tourist money coming in? I suspect those who made that decision might be out of a job, shortly.
  • Options
    Wow that giant hole in the scaffolding where the fire is still raging is scary looking.
  • Options

That man boils my piss.

Imagine if the French President had tweeted a message telling the American what to do when the twin towers were on fire.

He needs offing.

• Options
    Really sad. So often it seems to happen when restoration work is going on
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Off_it said:
    I am guessing they stayed open during the renovation and kept all the art there in order to keep tourist money coming in? I suspect those who made that decision might be out of a job, shortly.
    What on earth are you talking about?
    All the artwork that is gone. A Paris official says there was priceless artwork in the spire that collapsed. They charge £8 to enter that spire. That spire is within the scaffolding area. You think they would have removed that artwork. I think once this is looked into, whoever made the decision to keep that artwork in there during the renovation will be out of a job. Clear now?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Off_it said:
    Where is it you live again?
    Non-sequitur.
  • Options
    I thought they were getting a grip on this. Views from above make it look even worse that earlier. I really hope those firefighters stay clear of that scaffolding.
  • Options
    Absolutely awful.

An truly iconic building, not just for Paris but for the world. I hope they can save it, or most of it anyway.
  • Options
    Imagine how much it will cost to redo it, and to the detail it originally was
  • Options
    Horrendous scenes, hope they can get this extinguished pronto before any more of our history/culture/art is destroyed. 
  • Options
    Watching it unfold on TV in a hotel at the moment on a French channel - it's devastating for them. The French authorities are saying they're not sure if the cathedral can be saved. Hope as much can be done as possible for such an iconic historical building.
  • Options
    Heartbreaking. 
  • Options
    Just now on CNBC: “Ministry officials say they may not be able to save the cathedral”

<3 
  • Options
    It's almost certainly gone unfortunately
  • Options
    Gutted. Mrs Plum and I visited the wonderful place only last year.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I’ve always wondered how it much have looked hundreds of years ago when it dominated the landscape. Within the interior, the first thing I think of is actually that organ. 
  • Options
    I haven’t seen all the footage but I’m not very hopeful, I think it’s gone. 
  • Options
    Notre Flame

gets coat
  • Options
    At best it will be a shell, as the interior was all wood, but you’ve got to expect severe structural damage after a blaze like this. 

I’m amazed that scaffolding is still standing. 
  • Options
    Shocking, heartbreaking. A massive loss to the French and anyone who has ever been there and loves that cathedral. 
  • Options
    An amazing building over 600 years old - a tragedy to see all this history being destroyed. 
  • Options
    At best it will be a shell, as the interior was all wood, but you’ve got to expect severe structural damage after a blaze like this. 

I’m amazed that scaffolding is still standing. 

Based on this drone picture, it sadly looks lost.

• Options
    Main bell towers saved according to latest news
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!