Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POLL: Have you ever been on The Valley pitch?

Comments

• Options
    No
    Just posting because there are a lot of red squares. 
  • Options
    Yes
    Three times.

Once courtesy of Charlton Life:

Once courtesy of that nice Mr Duchatelet (I'm not in this picture, but this is my son - you can see the family resemblance):

Once on a stadium tour. I can't remember how or why we were there and I don't think I have a photo.
  • Options
    Yes
    Last game of the season 93/94 season after losing 5 v 2 to Middlesbrough pitch invasion aged 10. 

Loved it 
  • Options
    Yes
    stonemuse said:
    bobmunro said:

Pitch invasion celebrating promotion after beating Preston in 1975.

(44 years ago FFS - feeling very old!)

Me as well

• Options
    Yes
    I went I went to The Valley a couple of weeks before the season started about five years ago and saw Colin Powell just outside the West stand. We got chatting and I asked him how the pitch was looking. He invited me on the pitch and another groundsman took a photo of me with Colin.
  • Options
    Yes
    Yep. When I was a kid my mate lived on Flamstead Road and we used to bunk into the derelict Valley regularly and wander about. The pitch was a haven for slow worms and we used to collect them. 
  • Options
    Yes
    Stoke 1985. Grabbed some of the turf that survived in the back garden until about 2 months before we went back to The Valley 

Also 2 matches where we hired it for Medway vs Maidstone supporters branches. Considering we were all Charlton fans the games were both pretty nasty!
  • Options
    Yes
    Yes - at the clean up.
  • Options
    Yes
    Yes

Last game at the Valley against Stoke before the move to sellout and I got a piece of turf, sadly passed away.
  • Options
    Yes
    Did a tour about 11 years ago
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yes
    Yes. After we got into the play offs in 96. Pitch invasion.
  • Options
    Yes
    Yep, Preston 75 
  • Options
    Yes
    drewman said:
    After we got into the play-offs AND Millwall got relegated at Ipswich, having been in the promotion chase up until Christmas. Think it was just E and F Block that went on for that one, certainly was restricted to that corner of the pitch anyway.
  • Options
    Yes
    Yes, up to six times, depending if you have to step over the touchline for it to count.

Definitely:
    - match sponsor for a big birthday midweek v Forest
    - the charity match (as sub for @TCE)
    - post match v Gillingham when we got promoted in 1981 - anyone else remember that one?

Maybe:
    - presenting a cheque on behalf of CL to the Academy 
    - taking the big Killer flag round on Powell's first match as manager (volunteered via CL)
    - a pre match stadium tour including dugout visit v Newcastle in the Prem (just before Parker left)

3/6 of the above thanks to this wonderful website/ community.
  • Options
    Yes
    Yes.

Once at the end of a season when we'd got promoted, but not the Preston game.  Once during a player of the year do when we were in exile but PotY was at the club behind the N stand.
  • Options
    Yes
    Some great variation here. Surprised that more than 4/5 have been on the pitch and hilarious the one person who said they hadn’t worked at The Valley for two years!
  • Options
    Yes
    Yep, when my son was mascot for Chris Powell's first game in charge v Plymouth. 

Saw Sir Chris at a jazz club in Streatham a few weeks ago and reminded him. He seemed to have Southend on his mind more though. He let slip he was a keen amateur drummer thouvh
  • Options
    Yes
    MrLargo said:
    drewman said:
    After we got into the play-offs AND Millwall got relegated at Ipswich, having been in the promotion chase up until Christmas. Think it was just E and F Block that went on for that one, certainly was restricted to that corner of the pitch anyway.
    Yep that's how I remember it. I would have been in E block.
  • Options
    Yes
    Second Who concert, various presentations, Sofa day, showing the new owners around.
  • Options
    I have been on the pitch lots of times with mates when I was a teenager,couldn't be bothered to do it now 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yes
    Several times, firstly in the 60's as a youngster end of season and smashed a tennis ball into the covered end goal, for the Valley clean up and prior to kick off as a sponsor's guest.
  • Options
    Yes
    A couple of times as match sponsor, pre RD, played 45 minutes in a charity game organised by the late Bernard Wickham about 12 years ago, and more recently as a fan penalty taker in the pre-Sunderland event. Also after the Stoke game (last match at The Valley) and also after the 7-6 win v Huddersfield to shout for Johnny Summers.
  • Options
    Yes
    doronron said:
    I have been on the pitch lots of times with mates when I was a teenager,couldn't be bothered to do it now 
    Let’s face it, years ago you had to be a reasonably fit teenager in order to climb over the wall and that metal trellising top to it. Struggling to get over it or falling flat on your face the other side never looked cool. Older  and less fit types queuing up to go through the gate in order to invade the pitch in recent years just looked embarrassing 
  • Options
    Yes
    Yes

Last game at the Valley against Stoke before the move to sellout and I got a piece of turf, sadly passed away.

Sorry to hear of your demise, Martin
  • Options
    Yes
    Chizz said:
    Loads of times in the 1970s.  I would run onto the pitch, slap as many Charlton players on the arse  saying "well played" and run back into the Covered End, where I would grab my Dad's programme, turn to the back page and use the team list to work out which players arses I'd touched

And about ten years ago, in a match playing for "Charlton" against "England", having won a T-Mobile competition.  2-2.  Went to penalties.  The "England" goalkeeper had a P*l*ce shirt on, so the pressure was on to touch his arse too.  Did him with my eyes. 
    ; )
  • Options
    Yes
    Loads of times as a kid. 

Also, a few years ago I took my daughter to the Valley as she wanted some photos of a football ground as part of a college project. One of the groundsmen kindly let us onto the pitch so she could get a view of the stands from the centre spot.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Preston 1975. With some other kids and a couple of teachers. Got a bit of valley turf and planted it in my mum’s back garden.
  • Options
    After ‘the last game’ and got a slice of pitch which did rather well on the kitchen window sill for a few months. 
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Yes
    My first wife organised a Valley visit for me when we were back in the UK once.
    Got to visit the boardroom, the changing rooms and walked on the hallowed turf!
    I was also invited to visit Sparrows Lane and meet Curbs and the team, but had a meeting I couldn’t put off or get out of (regret it to this day!).
  • Options
    Run on the pitch when we beat Villa 2-0 after losing the away game 11-1,also run on the pitch when George Best played for us against Arsenal in a testimonial,just get as near as possible to my idol and the finest player who ever lived.