Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POLL: Have you ever been on The Valley pitch?

Comments

• Options
    Yes
    A couple of times with my mum (the second of those with @Henry Irving), once with my boys for a photo, and once with 'Team Charlton' before the Amsterdam bike ride.
  • Options
    Yes many times in late 50s early 60s The Charlton supporters team trained there great days.
  • Options
    Yes
    Last game before we moved to Selhurst, also sure it was normal to run on the pitch last home match of the season in the early eighties. 
  • Options
    Yes

Yes

First time was after we beat Huddersfield 7-6

• Options
    Yes
    Wedding
  • Options
    Yes

Yes - mascot v Wolves in 1994 (lost 1-0, Peter Shirtliff was captain for them).

• Options
    Yes
    I was meant to play on it but got injured the week before the "Brokers Cup Final" about 20 years ago

As a sponsor about 15 yeards ago when we played Newcastle (can't remember much as I was shitfaced)

Couple of times with my son as a mascot and other Young Reds stuff

Camping on the pitch with my daughter a couple of years ago

Once for a tour
  • Options
    Yes
    Legged it on after the Swindon game in May 2017.

• Options
    Yes
    Normal to run on the pitch as a kid after every game. Coppers made token effort to stop it. After the Burnley game.
  • Options
    Yes- in the seventies at the final whistle us kids used to leg it onto the pitch every game.
    In more recent years, I played 4 games for Football Aid on the Valley's hallowed turf.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    1975 after beating Preston.
  • Options
    Mate was also a linesman in a reserve match v Ipswich, and got invited along as a guest. Paul Alcock was the FAs official checking on the officials performance that night. Met him he seemed a decent guy, didn't ask him whether he missed Di canio though.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Yes
    A few times.

i was a mascot v Barnsley in 1983
    The last game before leaving v Stoke 1985
    Protest v Burnley a couple of seasons ago with my son.
    My brilliant crossbar challenge attempt v Bristol Rovers this season . ;-)

• Options
    Yes
    Bought some shares in the 90s, and was presented with my certificate on the pitch. 
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Only once. My mates company sponsored the match against Walsall on New Year’s Day this year. We had a short tour past the dressing rooms and down the tunnel to the dugouts with Bob Bolder. I surreptitiously stood about six inches the other side of the touchline so that I could say I’ve been on the pitch. 

I was quite interested to see how noticeable the slope is from the centre of the pitch to the touchlines. Must be something to do with drainage or something else as it looks like a design feature rather than a natural hump. 
  • Options
    Yes
    I’ll admit to Preston 1975...it was obligatory
  • Options
    Yes
    When we broke in circa 1987 and had a look around with dad and my sister. I’ve never been on the pitch since it’s been playable though, I doubt I ever will. 
  • Options
    Yes
    1975 after beating Preston and also after beating Southampton 4-2 on a Friday night.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Yes
    Yep, many times.

Charlton open day when Bob Stokoe was manager.
    Loads of times after games ended in the 60s.
    The 80s clean up day.
    After the Burnley match a couple of years ago (I was trying to save the sofa Tone, honest).
  • Options
    Yes
    Ps watched my brother play on it in at the end of a season about 7 years ago. He was good player in his day but he was by then in his very late 50s . On this occasion he tried a diving header, barely got off the ground and ended up ploughing in much like a jumbo jet doing a crash landing. A joyous moment.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yes
    No further than the touchline, on a stadium tour in the Sir Chris Powel/spivs era.
  • Options
    Yes
    Once to try and get autographs of Liverpool players when they played a pre-season friendly in the mid-eighties. 

Also played a charity match there in whatever year it was before the old covered end got redeveloped. 
  • Options
    Yes
    I’be been on the pitch a few times but I’m struggling to remember the last occasion. Andy Nelson making an end of season speech, perhaps, although I think there was a more recent occasion.
  • Options
    Yes
    A few times as a kid but the most memorable was more recently when I went down the Valley during the off season on one of my trips back from California. Went with my mate and we got speaking to Colin Powell. Can’t remember how that started but he graciously took us for a tour round ‘his’ pitch. Spent about 30 minutes with him strolling around. Because of the American connection I remember him reminiscing about his days in the NASL. 

• Options
    Yes
    I’ll never forget it. The ball dropped from over my left shoulder and with one touch I controlled it before smashing the ball into the top corner leaving the goalkeeper flailing. 
  • Options
    Yes
    Was on at last game before we left the Valley protesting at the move. Was also there one night when slogans were painted about the move to Selhurst. Also played in a fans match a few years back.
  • Options
    Yes
    Yes. Son was mascot.
  • Options
    Yes
    When I first started going , Corporate for cup game against Spurs Cosy was MOTM and got to meet him and have a photo with him. Think I must have been 11/12
  • Options
    Yes
    Pitch invaded ain't I.
  • Options
    Yes
    Yes. I was a mascot when I was six. I played a one-two with Mark Kinsella.

Also, Burnley. And some other time, I think, but can't remember