Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Top 5 - the run ins...

Comments

• Options
    Oxford is the big one now.
    Win that and I think we will win the others.
  • Options
    also another note Barnsley haven't lost at home this season although they do seem to draw quite a few. 
  • Options
    I don't think we'll do it, but it's going to be close. The away games are going to be hard, Robinson and a local(ish) derby aren't matches we need right now. It would have been better if they were at home and the 2 home games were the away matches...

From looking out of it, one win (and Sunderland's defeat) has completely turned things around for Barnsley, and their run in looks better than that of Sunderland and Pompey too. The stat guy Ben Mayhew has them as favourites for 2nd

I make that spot on (as it should be) , Barnsley and Portsmouth are bigger threats than Sunderland.
  • Options
    I don't think we'll do it, but it's going to be close. The away games are going to be hard, Robinson and a local(ish) derby aren't matches we need right now. It would have been better if they were at home and the 2 home games were the away matches...

From looking out of it, one win (and Sunderland's defeat) has completely turned things around for Barnsley, and their run in looks better than that of Sunderland and Pompey too. The stat guy Ben Mayhew has them as favourites for 2nd

I make that spot on (as it should be) , Barnsley and Portsmouth are bigger threats than Sunderland.
    Interestingly, on current form we could end up with Pompey 3rd and Sunderland 4th or 5th, so a 2 legged semi against Sunderland rather than Pompey if we don't get automatic?

I wonder how many would go up to the SoL for that?
  • Options
    Its unusual for many of the top teams to be on good form this time of the year, if you look at top of the Championship and League Two the teams are very erratic other than the odd team they are all dropping points. 
  • Options

Interestingly, on current form we could end up with Pompey 3rd and Sunderland 4th or 5th, so a 2 legged semi against Sunderland rather than Pompey if we don't get automatic?

I wonder how many would go up to the SoL for that?
    If we finish 4th and them 5th, then the first leg (i think) would be Sunday 12.15 which would be a pain in the arse for many.
  • Options
    Wouldn’t fancy Sunderland away 2nd leg
    100 % nailed on that the ref would be intimidated. 
    So I have to agree with you wholeheartedly .
  • Options
    Your the designated driver if it's that game
  • Options
    Portsmouth v Sunderland is a huge game.  One team wins that it'll be difficult for the other one to go up.  A draw and Barnsley have to be favourites but it opens the door a bit for us too.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    _MrDick said:
    We just have to finish 2nd coz I’m out of action for the play-offs. Have surgery coming up  in 4- 6 weeks (awaiting actual date) which will mean probably I can’t attend the play offs  :s
    We'll install a sofa by the side of the pitch for you.
  • Options
    CharltonPete said:

If we win (and it’s a big IF) our remaining 4 games and due to the teams above us having a superior goal difference, as it stands Barnsley could only afford to drop 3pts Sunderland and Portsmouth 4pts in their remaining fixtures to finish above us so where could those dropped point come from?
    Barnsley 
    h v Shrewsbury 
    a v Plymouth 
    h v Blackpool 
    a v Bristol R

Sunderland
    h v Doncaster R
    a v Peterborough 
    h v Portsmouth 
    a v Fleetwood
    a v Southend

Portsmouth
    a v Burton
    h v Coventry 
    a v Sunderland 
    h v Peterborough 
    a v Accrington 

personally I think it will be decided on the last day of the season with a few twist and turns and nail biting moments during the game

• Options
    It’s a play off final loss for us , just prepare yourself you heard it here first .

keep on dreaming but our miraculous dream happened in 1998 and it’s not gonna happen again for a very long time 
  • Options
    It’s a play off final loss for us , just prepare yourself you heard it here first .

keep on dreaming but our miraculous dream happened in 1998 and it’s not gonna happen again for a very long time 
    That’s what I see happening. Especially if we play Sunderland in the final.

Still hoping for promotion though however it comes.
  • Options
    I'm not sure I agree with everyone saying Barnsley have an easy run-in.

Plymouth away will be difficult. They have picked up in form and let's not forget we could easily have found ourselves 1-0 down had they converted the penalty and taken a deserved lead. They will not be a pushover away from home.

Bristol Rovers away I also see a potential banana skin for Barnsley. They have also picked up in form and having watched us there a month ago they won't be pushovers either away from home.

I'd genuinely be surprised if Barnsley with there injuries leave Plymouth and Bristol Rovers with 6 points. Honestly wouldn't be surprised if they only go home with 2 or 3 points from both games.
  • Options

Plymouth away will be difficult. They have picked up in form and let's not forget we could easily have found ourselves 1-0 down had they converted the penalty and taken a deserved lead. They will not be a pushover away from home.

Bristol Rovers away I also see a potential banana skin for Barnsley. They have also picked up in form and having watched us there a month ago they won't be pushovers either away from home.

I'd genuinely be surprised if Barnsley with there injuries leave Plymouth and Bristol Rovers with 6 points. Honestly wouldn't be surprised if they only go home with 2 or 3 points from both games.
    I think the same.
  • Options

I think the same.
    I hope the same.
  • Options

Still dont think we'll get autos & think it will be either Barnsley or Sunderland.....and because of what is said above I want Sunderland to get 2nd place. Out of all the teams I've seen, both live & on tv, they are the best. 

I fancy us home & away against the other teams. Really need to get 3rd or 4th though.

• Options
    On the other hand, especially if they go on a dodgy run, the crowd might turn against them. 

Hate that away section though. Apart from the long walk up, you're so far away from the players
  • Options
    I think Robinson will have an opportunity to do something he’s done before - cost us promotion.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What we have to note is that Barnsley are not the team they were earlier in the season. They are still decent but can't cruise past teams.
  • Options
    Huge Easter period, I think at least 1 or 2 of the 4 of us will drop points somewhere. Looking at the remaining games I've now got the table to finish:

Luton - 94
    Barnsley - 91 +40
    Sunderland 91 +38
    Portsmouth - 90
    Charlton - 89
    Doncaster - 75

In my scenario we all enter the final game of the season with a chance of going up. (I've got us all to win on the final day).
  • Options
    We'd be resting the team by then after winning the first 5-0.
  • Options
    Between us and Barnsley for 2nd I think. Sunderland Pompey have a real tough run-in.
  • Options
    one thing i think could be in our favour is as we play 1st on friday get the win and then will really put pressure on others, we have seen it countless times before where teams just need to win x amount of games and they are up and blow it, so still very much on in my personal opinion it is just asking too much from the others but all the while its mathematical then why not dream. 
  • Options
    is it possible for us to get promotion at gills?
  • Options
    Luton not playing until Saturday.
  • Options
    Sunderland v Donny on Sky tomorrow evening and then Accrington v Luton on Saturday evening.  Will be great to watch if we do the business at Oxford.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    is it possible for us to get promotion at gills?
    Yeah but very unlikely...

Charlton... Need three wins from three to go to 88-pts

Sunderland and Portsmouth would have to lose their next two and then draw with each other leaving them on 81-pts (from their game in hand best they could finish on is 87-pts)

Barnsley would have to lose one and draw two games leaving them on 84-pts; three draws for them would mean that a win for them on the final day and loss for us on the final day would see them finishing on 88-pts and above us with a better Goal Difference