Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Top 5 - the run ins...

Comments

• Options
    With the first eleven at our disposal I still think we’ve underachieved this season. We’ve dominated almost every match I have seen home and away. I hope we can do it for 4 more matches.
    Some silly results have cost us.

Losing home and away to Coventry, dropping 5 points to Fleetwood, not beating 10 man Southend at home, losing at Rochdale, shipping 5 at almost relegated Scunthorpe.

Just 7 more points from those 7 games and we'd be top.

Although obviously every single club can look back over a season at games they could've picked up more points from. Sunderland for example if they'd turned just 4 of those 19 draws into wins would be going up.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    With the first eleven at our disposal I still think we’ve underachieved this season. We’ve dominated almost every match I have seen home and away. I hope we can do it for 4 more matches.
    Some silly results have cost us.

Losing home and away to Coventry, dropping 5 points to Fleetwood, not beating 10 man Southend at home, losing at Rochdale, shipping 5 at almost relegated Scunthorpe.

Just 7 more points from those 7 games and we'd be top.

Although obviously every single club can look back over a season at games they could've picked up more points from. Sunderland for example if they'd turned just 4 of those 19 draws into wins would be going up.
    Peterborough at home, Bristol Rovers, Sunderland away..... We should be home and hosed by now :p

If Sunderland had lost half, and won half, of the games they have drawn 1-1, 2 1-1 draws would now be enough to guarantee promotion.  Funny old game 
  • Options
    An remotely intresting side note, if we win our last game we will finish on 88 points and I believe that is our joint 3rd highest points total ever. 

If Sunderland win their last 2 games they will finish on 91 points and probably not finish in the top 2.  In 1998 they finished with 90 points and didn't go up.  I believe that would be their 3rd highest points total as well. 
  • Options
    Burton away is a lot easier now than it would've been a week ago. Now they've lost to both Portsmouth and Southend their play off hopes are over and they're already on the beach.
    Er?
  • Options
    Burton away is a lot easier now than it would've been a week ago. Now they've lost to both Portsmouth and Southend their play off hopes are over and they're already on the beach.
    Er?
    Funny old game.......
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    I can see Luton drawing with Oxford at the weekend. If everyone else wins the rest of their games, the table finishes like this...

Barnsley 94pts
    Pompey 93pts
    ---
    Luton 92pts
    Sunderland 91pts
    Charlton 88pts
    Doncaster 73pts

That would be a mental table to finish the season. Would've been even more mental if we had beat Oxford and finished on 91 ourselves.
  • Options
    The best thing about the situation is that every other team has something to play for and needs to play their very best team in order to win. For Portsmouth and Sunderland the extra games must be taking a toll. Who ever misses out will be devastated. One can but hope that they pick up a couple of injuries or suspensions. 
    If Luton lose out they will be difficult to lift. Anyone can manage a winning team, but this will be the first time they have had to deal with turning things around.
    I hope Donny make it through ahead of the Posh as I now hope Portsmouth go up as they are bang in form, so hope they beat Posh.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I can see Luton drawing with Oxford at the weekend. If everyone else wins the rest of their games, the table finishes like this...

Barnsley 94pts
    Pompey 93pts
    ---
    Luton 92pts
    Sunderland 91pts
    Charlton 88pts
    Doncaster 73pts

That would be a mental table to finish the season. Would've been even more mental if we had beat Oxford and finished on 91 ourselves.
    Similar to the Norwich, Leeds, Millwall & us season.
  • Options
    Still think we will be 5th & Sunderland 4th. Looong drive up there for a Thursday or Friday evening kick-off. 

Golfie Jnr a bit miffed with Quest this evening. Seemed to go out of their way to avoid mentioning us. Showed the top 4 & their run ins......and then the battle for 6th with Donny, P'boro & Coventry. I know we have secured a play off place (15...yes FIFTEEN points ahead of Donny) but only 4 off top spot.....and level with Sunderland.

Told him we are flying under the radar & will surprise few people we they see us in the play offs. Charlton who  ??
    I thought that was fair enough as we are genuinely not newsworthy at the moment, with the titanic battles elsewhere in the division affecting so many clubs. Especially as the team we were playing were effectively safe as well, and the result wasn't newsworthy either!

The other teams are well aware of us, we're the team resting players and playing at 90% to conserve energy while they're having to bust a gut!
  • Options
    Er?
    Funny old game.......
    Indeed.  Apart from two teams with absolutely nothing to play for who might play so as not to get injured, I don't go for the doing a Nevil Shute argument.
  • Options
    Luton 
    oxford h - tough game a sell out crowd should get them over the line 2-1 win

barnsley 
    bristol rovers a - scoring for fun atm 2-0 win 

pompey 
    peterborough h - a team who must get 3 points to keep a playoff spot dream alive 2-2 draw
    acrrington stanely h - a team who have caused a couple of upsets, pompey deflated after the midweek draw so a 1-1 draw

sunderland 
    fleetwood a - sunderland have been struggling 1-1 draw
    southend a - southend must win for league 1 survival Sunderland may be resting players 2 - 0 loss

charlton 
    rochdale h - we have this game which is a freindly imo expect us to win 2-1 and then 3 cup finals, win the 3 finals and were championship. 

on the above

1Luton TownLuton Town462713689:424794
    2Barnsley FCBarnsley FC462713681:374494
    3Portsmouth FCPortsmouth FC462514783:503389
    4Charlton AthleticCharlton Athletic4626101071:413088
    5Sunderland AFCSunderland AFC462220479:463386
    6Doncaster RoversDoncaster Rovers4619141375:591671

• Options
    Not sure I agree with the above.

Luton shaking and Oxford will be tough opponents. Can see a draw.

Barnsley will beat Bristol Rovers without much drama.

Suspect Pompey will do their usual scraping past opponents. Expect 6 points.

Sunderland could drop points away at Fleetwood. Barton will be up for that. Can't see anything but a Sunderland win Vs Southend.

Expect us to beat Rochdale.
  • Options
    @cafcnick1992

and that's the glory of football different opinions. 
  • Options
    It'll be exciting tonight. Will watch the Spurs/Ajax match, but be more interested in the L1 fixtures!
  • Options

Sunderland could drop points away at Fleetwood. Barton will be up for that. Can't see anything but a Sunderland win Vs Southend.

With Sunderland need a goal difference miracle I wonder if their match selection over the next two games will be more tactical now with one eye on us... Or whether they'll really go for it tonight and aim for a big 4-0 / 5-0 win (if they can) and then rest players against Southend if they [A] fail to win tonight [B] fail to close down the GD enough
  • Options

With Sunderland need a goal difference miracle I wonder if their match selection over the next two games will be more tactical now with one eye on us... Or whether they'll really go for it tonight and aim for a big 4-0 / 5-0 win (if they can) and then rest players against Southend if they [A] fail to win tonight [B] fail to close down the GD enough
    Sunderland will still want to finish third though, 2 legs against Doncaster would surely be more appealing than playing us!
  • Options

Sunderland will still want to finish third though, 2 legs against Doncaster would surely be more appealing than playing us!
    I should think Sunderland would want to finish 4th as well and have the home leg 2nd
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Anyone got a stream for the Spurs game? My techie geek is away on business
  • Options

You was saying 
  • Options
    I wrote the last 2 games off for us after it was clear we wouldn't make 2nd.  Must win our last game at the weekend.  Finish 3rd will be a massive advantage.  Pompey and Sunderland must be on their arses now. 
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Sage said:
    Sunderland now have a run of 9 games in 34 days where they’re away from home in 5 of them. Wednesday, Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday, Friday, Monday, Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday to be exact.

They’re definitely going to drop some points in that lot of fixtures. Lots of travelling, no real time to train, all recovery and light sessions.

They’ve also drawn 1-1 an astonishing 13 times this season in all competitions, 12 of them in the league.

By that I would say Sunderland will pick up about 15 points meaning they finish on 88. Probably in third.
    Wrote this 30 days ago.

In that time, Sunderland have drawn 1-1 a further 3 times, lost at home to Coventry and away at Fleetwood. Won away at Accrington Stanley and Rochdale and at home to Doncaster.

They have picked up 12 points in 8 games, scoring 15 and conceding 11. If they beat Southend away on Saturday, my prediction will be correct on the number of points.

However, I can see another 1-1 draw for them at Southend now, and a win for us puts us above them.

Going to be very interesting. But regarding solely Sunderland, as I said before, 9 games in 34 days, so far 8 in 30, and they have struggled and dropped points. Adding in another couple of games could really see this Sunderland side fall away completely and fatigue playing a huge part as well as pressure.

I anticipate Sunderland being in League One next season and if we play them in the semi’s, book that Wembley ticket, we have more about us than any other play-off team in my honest opinion.
    Agree with that
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I wrote the last 2 games off for us after it was clear we wouldn't make 2nd.  Must win our last game at the weekend.  Finish 3rd will be a massive advantage.  Pompey and Sunderland must be on their arses now. 
    Bit much to say that about Pompey. 8 wins in a row including a Wembley final win and then a draw at Sunderland before last night.

They'd done well to get back into it after their mid season loss of form.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Bit much to say that about Pompey. 8 wins in a row including a Wembley final win and then a draw at Sunderland before last night.

They'd done well to get back into it after their mid season loss of form.
    Still think that return to form was partly down to the level of the opposition

Walsall | Scunthorpe | Shrewsbury | Wycombe | Rochdale those are games they should have won and had they lost them would have had relegation style form - Their two wins against Coventry and Burton were better but as shown against Sunderland / Peterborough, they're still shakey against the stronger teams
  • Options
    The managers of the two teams that miss out on the 2nd automatic spot between Barnsley, Portsmouth and Sunderland are going to have to scrape their players off the floor for the play offs. They are going to be totally gutted and whichever one has to face us will not be looking forward to it one bit.
    This, X 2