Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Would a tree surgeon know another tree surgeon, had previously got caught in a neighbour dispute ?

Comments

• edited March 2019
    CE , sounds like you have quite selfish neighbours.

If that was my tree in my front garden, i'd chop the thing down, ( or get someone else to do it) nothing worse than falling out with the neighbours.

Just out of interest ,how long has the tree been planted for, and was it planted by the current owners?

It should never have been planted in the first place, far too small a space for it.

Can you reason with the hubbie, if the  wife is totally unreasonable?

Ps , that wasn’t the very tree I walked head first into, the other week, was it?
  • Ask some the local Traveller tree surgeon community to short back and sides it and then thin it out a little. He could pop it into a pot when they've had a go. 

In in all seriousness I can see why your cheesed off. 
  • Would hate to have neighbours like that. Also in Bromley and one of our neighbour's trees' roots has just started lifting the driveway paving, put a note through door and he came round that evening to discuss it, next day arranged for work to be carried out. How things should be done. 
    My advice would be just chop back as much as you can and hand it back, their problem if it then falls on their property. 
  • CE , sounds like you have quite selfish neighbours.

If that was my tree in my front garden, i'd chop the thing down, ( or get someone else to do it) nothing worse than falling out with the neighbours.

Just out of interest ,how long has the tree been planted for, and was it planted by the current owners?

It should never have been planted in the first place, far too small a space for it.

Can you reason with the hubbie, if the  wife is totally unreasonable?

Ps , that wasn’t the very tree I walked head first into, the other week, was it?
    It was there when they moved in, but wasn't as big.
    I do reason with the hubby, but he looks sheepish and says sorry.
    I think she's the problem, can't stand the woman.
  • edited March 2019
    have you got a pic of her , just so we can get the full picture of what Blackpool’s getting himself in to 
  • Kin ell  😣
  • Sponsored links:

• I was quite surprised a subject like this has popped up but I'm glad it has. 

I never understand people who allow trees to grow out of control within a residential area it really is selfish. 

And I thought my neighbour's overhanging plant was bad enough I always knew it was legal to have it cut back but never knew the cuttings had to be offered back not that she'll want them anyway being an old dear on her own. 

Certainly surprising to hear how bad this has got with the police involved too.
  • The police weren't interested saying it was a civil dispute.
    My 22 year old son spoke to them as I drove off past them.
    He said, he felt they took my side more than hers, although kept a neutral stance.
  • Sorry to bring a bit of sense to this amusing sideshow, but how about erecting a carport directly in front of your garage - sap then falls onto carport roof and who cares about that? Car no longer needs continual washing.
  • I agree, why should he?, but it may bring peace of mind, certainly wouldn't bother to clean a carport roof at all. To piss the neighbour off, nail a sign to the carport detailing why it has been erected.
  • have you got a pic of her , just so we can get the full picture of what Blackpool’s getting himself in to 
    “Leave my f*****g tree alone”L
    That's a Would Ya vomit special!!!
  • I agree, why should he?, but it may bring peace of mind, certainly wouldn't bother to clean a carport roof at all. To piss the neighbour off, nail a sign to the carport detailing why it has been erected.
    Piss the neighbour of eh?
    Rent the house to Bromley council as a hostel for the homeless. With the proceeds rent a nice flat overlooking the Thames and a brisk walk to the Valley.
  • Having seen the tree now, it’s hardly a thing of outstanding natural beauty. It’s their tree, of course, and if they want a big green thing, well that’s up to them, but it just needs maintaining so it is not an inconvenience to anyone else. 
    It’s a fairly straightforward situation with a reasonably simple solution, so don’t take it personally, CE, I think you are dealing with someone who is doing precisely that for reasons probably known only to them.

• such photography skills on show here
  • have you got a pic of her , just so we can get the full picture of what Blackpool’s getting himself in to 
    “Leave my f*****g tree alone”L
    That's incredibly vain to have a picture of yourself on your top.
  • Sponsored links:

• ...the last of the Bee-Gees
  • edited March 2019
    Out of interest did your surveyor flag the tree when you bought the place? A tree that size so close to your house can mess up your drains/foundations. It might be an issue when you come to sell.
  • CE: I have followed this thread with amusement however I can see it is still causing you a concern. My sister in law lived in a bungalow in Meopham and the front garden was huge and very long. The neighbors had a large amount of trees overhanging the fence like your problem (except no fence) and the cost to my sister in law to prune them came to a lot of money.

She contacted the council and they said she was within her rights to chop/cut/prune any branches that passed over the fence/boundary into her garden, they advised like some have said above to offer the cuttings back as the disposal was not her problem.

I too have had a similar problem in a house I used to live in except I did not contact the council, I just arranged for the work to be done.

You are within your rights to get a tree surgeon in at your cost to chop everything back that crosses the boundary, however from a distance this will give the tree a lop sided appearance so common sense when pruning might be advised.

On such a small job as this i.e. 1 x tree any decent tree surgeon will put the branches through the chipper turning them all into sawdust thus removing the aggro of offering the branches back. However if you would prefer to offer the cuttings back you do not even have a fence to pass them over, just stack them neatly on her side of the flower bed.

I would not even look for a fancy expensive "tree surgeon" to do this work, there are plenty of pikies out there calling themselves tree surgeons, they will cut that back and take the waste away for £100 tops. maybe even less.

• CE: I have followed this thread with amusement however I can see it is still causing you a concern. My sister in law lived in a bungalow in Meopham and the front garden was huge and very long. The neighbors had a large amount of trees overhanging the fence like your problem (except no fence) and the cost to my sister in law to prune them came to a lot of money.

She contacted the council and they said she was within her rights to chop/cut/prune any branches that passed over the fence/boundary into her garden, they advised like some have said above to offer the cuttings back as the disposal was not her problem.

I too have had a similar problem in a house I used to live in except I did not contact the council, I just arranged for the work to be done.

You are within your rights to get a tree surgeon in at your cost to chop everything back that crosses the boundary, however from a distance this will give the tree a lop sided appearance so common sense when pruning might be advised.

On such a small job as this i.e. 1 x tree any decent tree surgeon will put the branches through the chipper turning them all into sawdust thus removing the aggro of offering the branches back. However if you would prefer to offer the cuttings back you do not even have a fence to pass them over, just stack them neatly on her side of the flower bed.

I would not even look for a fancy expensive "tree surgeon" to do this work, there are plenty of pikies out there calling themselves tree surgeons, they will cut that back and take the waste away for £100 tops. maybe even less.

Thanks Mike.
    As far as cutting back the tree the neighbours said,

"we have been advised by several tree surgeons that pruning the tree by more than 40% endangers the integrity of the tree and risks it’s stability making it unsafe during windy conditions for example.  It is for this reason that we’ve decided at 30%."

The trouble is I can see most of the 30% coming off of their side, as it is already much larger and as I said, the last time I had this palaver 5 years ago, the tree was still over hanging my car when he finished.

If I cut the tree back to the boundary, I'm confident it would topple over onto his car/house in strong winds.

At this stage I was gauging opinion as to whether he will get it cut or his excuses are simply "lies".

I will wait to see how much gets cut off, if it ever does and then assess if it "worked".

I'm also considering asking him to park on my drive and I on his (not under the tree).
    But I'll not suggest that now, as he won't cut the tree (little doubt).

• Out of interest did your surveyor flag the tree when you bought the place? A tree that size so close to your house can mess up your drains/foundations. It might be an issue when you come to sell.
    I'd have to look, it's been 25 years.
  • edited March 2019
    CE: I have followed this thread with amusement however I can see it is still causing you a concern. My sister in law lived in a bungalow in Meopham and the front garden was huge and very long. The neighbors had a large amount of trees overhanging the fence like your problem (except no fence) and the cost to my sister in law to prune them came to a lot of money.

Thanks Mike.
    As far as cutting back the tree the neighbours said,

"we have been advised by several tree surgeons that pruning the tree by more than 40% endangers the integrity of the tree and risks it’s stability making it unsafe during windy conditions for example.  It is for this reason that we’ve decided at 30%."

The trouble is I can see most of the 30% coming off of their side, as it is already much larger and as I said, the last time I had this palaver 5 years ago, the tree was still over hanging my car when he finished.

If I cut the tree back to the boundary, I'm confident it would topple over onto his car/house in strong winds.

At this stage I was gauging opinion as to whether he will get it cut or his excuses are simply "lies".

I will wait to see how much gets cut off, if it ever does and then assess if it "worked".

I'm also considering asking him to park on my drive and I on his (not under the tree).
    But I'll not suggest that now, as he won't cut the tree (little doubt).

Not your problem, do what you have to do and cut the tree back to the legal requirements, if it falls over in a strong wind into his garden result, pass the card of the tree surgeon to your neighbour and tell him if he mentions your name he might get a bit of discount for repeat business.   
  • And if you have a wood burner ask if him if you can have some logs.
  • PaddyP17 said:
    If possible, cut the overhang RIGHT up to the property line, and I mean so it literally looks like the tree stopped rendering as a graphic, or something. Like, cut it dead straight.

Rest of it is their problem. You've been polite, it seems, several times - just act within your rights.
    What happens if this over pruning kills the tree, or means that it falls over?  Do you know?

• edited March 2019
    PaddyP17 said:
    If possible, cut the overhang RIGHT up to the property line, and I mean so it literally looks like the tree stopped rendering as a graphic, or something. Like, cut it dead straight.

Rest of it is their problem. You've been polite, it seems, several times - just act within your rights.
    What happens if this over pruning kills the tree, or means that it falls over?  Do you know?

They will be able to sue me.
    Whether they would have a financial case, whether they would sue and whether they would be successful, is open to debate.

(Off to see The Stranglers now).