Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Would a tree surgeon know another tree surgeon, had previously got caught in a neighbour dispute ?

Comments

• Options
    hammer some copper nails in the trunk and watch the tree die. 
    This.

Works a treat - or so I've been told.
  • Options
    Picture of this tree would of this tree would be interesting  ?
    But then you'll all know where I live :smile:
  • Options
    Dont worry, its not your house that would be at threat... :smile:
  • Options
    What a treemendous thread.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
  • Options
    Daddy_Pig said:
    Legally you can cut the tree but it is their property and is considered an asset. If the tree goes into terminal decline and causes subsidence as a result of your actions you could be liable for any damages. 

However, you are entitled to notify them in writing that the tree is causing your property damage and that they have a fixed term to resolve it otherwise you will have it resolved using a professional arboriculturist... And at their expense. 

I used to be a tree condition surveyor and this kind of dispute is common. 
    Thanks, I haven't found anything on t'net  stating I can have it resolved at their expense. Do you have a link please? 
    Not to hand I don't so I know what I say is only anecdotal but it was the case with hundreds of cases throughout my few years in the industry. 

I'll see what I can get. 
  • Options
    meldrew66 said:
    This is what an 80ft leylandai looks like; notice the difference between my side and how much it would have hung over our side until I paid to have it cut back to the boundary fence line last autumn. Makes our large summerhouse look like a dolls house eh!? Check out the one nearer us (left of the picture) that is half way there too. It costs £500 to make a complaint to BROMLEY council to enforce the law of neighbours maintaining this type of tree within the legal height restriction which, worth noting, is about the same height as the summerhouse you can see in the photo. The £500 is non-refundable even if your complaint is totally valid.

Leylandii are evil bastards. There were some huge one's on a neighbouring property that blocked the evening sun at our old place. People who plant them and let them get that big are really just erecting a massive FU sign in their garden.
  • Options
    I did a tree condition survey for a very large urban housing association that would generate a financial attribute to a tree based on its location, attributes etc. I asked how some of these trees could be worth so much and it was pointed out to me that a single large tree could put the cost of a flat up by x% due to the greenery effect etc.

Your standard London Plane that you get on nearly every street in London was valued around 250k. Take one of them out without permission and the housing association could effectively sue for the reduction in the value of their other assets. Not sure it has ever actually happened though
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Barking,maybe.
  • Options
    Seven Sixoaks?
  • Options
    Plane tree house
    Proper Charlton 
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Ok here are a few photos. 

The offending tree is behind a street blossom tree.

I readily admit that from the front it doesn't look too bad and if it was just the overhang I wouldn't be fussed.

The issue is that due to the usual south westerly wind, the sap is constantly landing on the car.
    They are only specs, but within an hour are clearly visible. 

The view from my back passage :smile:  shows the over hang more clearly and the problem is the tree is close to the border.

I believe Mr would probably be amenable, but his wife is a cow.
    She wouldn't even return the occasional football when my boys were little.
    He just says sorry & appears genuine when I complain.
    But sorry doesn't cut it anymore. 

Although, as I say he has promised to get the tree reduced by 30%, the maximum recommended to him. 
    However, if the same happens as last time, the 30% will be virtually all cut off his side, which was when I lost my temper and went out chopping more off, resulting in her calling the police.

The issue as of today is that the appointments have not turned up 3 weekends running, which he had attributed to the weather.
    Then apparently them declining the job, because they became aware of the dispute with another company 5 years ago. 

This doesn't make sense, because why would they have accepted the job in the first place ?
    If they accepted the job, why would they now decline it 3 weeks later?
    It doesn't add up.

Additionally, he messed me around back then for nearly 2 years, when he promised to get it cut and didn't without me chasing him numerous times. 
  • Options
    Is the tree in question on the pavement?
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    seth plum said:
    No it's the tree behind and the trunk is hidden behind the tree in the street, in the last photo.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Funny that looks a lot like my house... Wait a minute!!
  • Options
    Perhaps the two trees could get married and relocate to Petts Wood.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    No it's the tree behind and the trunk is hidden behind the tree in the street, in the last photo.
    You could always put your car in your garage CE.

• Options
    Funny that looks a lot like my house... Wait a minute!!
    You don't live at number 16 like @Covered End though.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    clb74 said:
    seth plum said:
    You could always put your car in your garage CE.

I was waiting for the ridiculous comments.
  • Options
    meldrew66 said:
    Word of caution: you are legally obliged to OFFER any cuttings taken by you from your neighbour’s tree back to him/her ..... however, you are also legally obliged to dispose of them yourself if they say they don’t want them returned. If you simply chuck them over the fence onto their land, they can prosecute you. Trust me, I know this because I have an arsehole neighbour too with a 80ft leylandai on our boundary fence that blocks out all light in the summer after 2pm.
    I don't believe it !