Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Joe Aribo

Comments

• Options
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:
    He was no worse than the rest of them to be fair. Talentless bunch with poor touch and a geriatric striker. At least he has some ability. Scottish football is a complete and utter joke.
    Depends what you’re judging it against, Scotland is tiny compared to England yet the best team in Scotland just knocked the best team in Sweden out of Europe and the second best team just knocked the second best team in Poland out - victories over the equivalent teams from two countries with significantly bigger populations. 

Scottish football is rubbish compared to English, but for a small country it’s actually pretty astonishing that it is able to support its league structure, especially with the worlds most watched sports league just over the border - I think the “complete and utter joke” stuff on this thread is a bit much. 

Why don't Scotland produce any world class players anymore? There must be a reason that Scottish talent is so thin compared to similarly sized countries like Holland and Belgium. 
    Belgium has twice the the population of Scotland and Netherlands three times - they really aren’t “similar sized countries”.   
    Fair enough about the relative populations but the point stands about talent production. Scotland haven't produced a world class player in over 30 years, Holland in particular and Belgium must have produced scores. There’s got to be a reason.
    Ahem! Chris Iwelumho.
  • Options
    Blucher said:
    Amazing to think that all of Celtic’s 1967 European Cup winning team were born within 30 miles of Glasgow.

Scotland also produced a lot of very good players in the 70s and 80s but, since then, very few indeed. I’m guessing that a lot fewer kids are now playing the game 
    Everyone I know who lives around Glasgow and Edinburgh all support rugby teams and don’t follow any football. Obviously that’s only a section of people, but I wonder if that’s the case on a wider spectrum in Scotland. 
  • Options
    Blucher said:
    Amazing to think that all of Celtic’s 1967 European Cup winning team were born within 30 miles of Glasgow.

Scotland also produced a lot of very good players in the 70s and 80s but, since then, very few indeed. I’m guessing that a lot fewer kids are now playing the game 
    Everyone I know who lives around Glasgow and Edinburgh all support rugby teams and don’t follow any football. Obviously that’s only a section of people, but I wonder if that’s the case on a wider spectrum in Scotland. 
    It’s not, football is enormously popular. Far more Scottish people (relatively speaking) watch football each week than in most other countries. 
  • Options
    Looks like Rangers will sign Ryan Kent from Liverpool for a big fee (by Scottish standards, £7M) which could be bad news for Aribo. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    He was no worse than the rest of them to be fair. Talentless bunch with poor touch and a geriatric striker. At least he has some ability. Scottish football is a complete and utter joke.
    Depends what you’re judging it against, Scotland is tiny compared to England yet the best team in Scotland just knocked the best team in Sweden out of Europe and the second best team just knocked the second best team in Poland out - victories over the equivalent teams from two countries with significantly bigger populations. 

Scottish football is rubbish compared to English, but for a small country it’s actually pretty astonishing that it is able to support its league structure, especially with the worlds most watched sports league just over the border - I think the “complete and utter joke” stuff on this thread is a bit much. 

Why don't Scotland produce any world class players anymore? There must be a reason that Scottish talent is so thin compared to similarly sized countries like Holland and Belgium. 

They do...they all play for Cowdenbeath and wont move football clubs as their honourable.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

They do...they all play for Cowdenbeath and wont move football clubs as their honourable.
    Poor coaching infrastructure
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Looks like Rangers will sign Ryan Kent from Liverpool for a big fee (by Scottish standards, £7M) which could be bad news for Aribo. 
    How the fuck are they affording that?

But anyway, Kent is a winger which will therefore hopefully enable Aribo to play centrally where he'll be more comfortable.
  • Options
    @se9addick obviously has given a lot of thought to how to improve Scottish football but I reckon the key thing within that list is getting kids playing again, early. During my 60 seconds with Johan Gudmunsson at a POTY back then, he explained that this was key to the Icelandic football revolution, and particularly that the facilities that made this happen are largely indoors because of the weather. I'm not really being funny, that might be almost as important in Scotland. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Its very enjoyable how deluded Rangers & Celtic are, neither would get promoted from championship and I think Rangers would be in relegation trouble
    Could be right about Rangers. But Celtic would be up by the second year, easy.

Their gigantic attendances would lead to large matchday income advantages.
    Being in English football, they would attract more bigger-money sponsors right away.
    Celtic is a bigger club than ANY club in the Championship globally (except maybe Leeds) and good players would die to play there. Within two transfer windows they would have the best team in the division by a landslide.

Once in the PL, this dynamic would get even bigger. I think in time they would be top 7 regularly. Just like every other club that averages 58,000+ per match.
    Of course, these are big clubs so being in the English league would allow them to improve, but people are observing the situation as they are now and to be fair, how they will be going forwards as part of the Scottish leagues. The English leagues already have big clubs and don't need them and never will.
  • Options
    Who the fuck would want Celtic or Rangers fans descending on your town every season.
    I'm still scarred by the memories of home internationals of yore and aggressive kilt wearing jocks crapping in the streets of London.
    As for Joe Aribo, I thank him for the memories and wish him well, beyond that who gives a fuck.
  • Options
    Its very enjoyable how deluded Rangers & Celtic are, neither would get promoted from championship and I think Rangers would be in relegation trouble
    Could be right about Rangers. But Celtic would be up by the second year, easy.

Their gigantic attendances would lead to large matchday income advantages.
    Being in English football, they would attract more bigger-money sponsors right away.
    Celtic is a bigger club than ANY club in the Championship globally (except maybe Leeds) and good players would die to play there. Within two transfer windows they would have the best team in the division by a landslide.

Once in the PL, this dynamic would get even bigger. I think in time they would be top 7 regularly. Just like every other club that averages 58,000+ per match.

• Options
    Scored on his Nigeria debut
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Said this on the international thread, he has never played international football at any youth level, weird that he was called up to full level without the experience of youth level
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    sam3110 said:
    Said this on the international thread, he has never played international football at any youth level, weird that he was called up to full level without the experience of youth level
    Really......I don’t find it weird, it happens all the time......always has and always will.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    He was unheard of before he joined the mighty 'Gers. 6 weeks with them & he's now a major star.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Really......I don’t find it weird, it happens all the time......always has and always will.
    Happens all the time really??

Most international playets have played under 15s or 16s or 17s or 18 or 19s or 21s

But Joe never did, for England or Nigeria what I am saying is surprising is Joe has just turned 23 and Nigeria never looked at him when he was able to play in their under 21 squad
  • Options
    Nick Pope and Tyrone Mings never played youth football for England, neither did Jamie Vardy. It’s really not that rare, especially for players who had to work their way out of non league as Joe did...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    James Tarkowski, Lewis Dunk..
  • Options
    Yes, most probably do go through the system.....but quite a few don’t, it’s not like it’s unusual.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Only fourteen of Nigeria's squad for 2019 AFCON played any sort of youth international football, for either Nigeria or England.

39% of their squad had not played youth international football.
  • Options
    Nick Pope and Tyrone Mings never played youth football for England, neither did Jamie Vardy. It’s really not that rare, especially for players who had to work their way out of non league as Joe did...
    Thanks Callum trying to take the piss out of me and yet you instead prove my point.

The 3 players named here

Pope-didnt start playing league football properly until 21

Mings-same as pope

Vardy- was 24 until he broke through

Aribo was 19 when he was a 1st team regular at a league club, so its a surpriss that Nigeria didnt seem interested in putting him in the youth squad then
  • Options
    What are you on about.....whose trying to take the piss???
    You’re wrong in the assertion that it’s weird for players to gain full caps without having gone through any of the the graduated international levels.
    It’s quite common.......and not at all unusual.
  • Options
    Perhaps Nigeria have always wanted to take on Aribo but Aribo was hoping for more interest from England?

Either way good on him, some decent talent coming through for the super eagles.

Hoping Lookman takes the same route. 
  • Options
    No-one’s taking the piss Paulie, I’m sorry if it came across as such.

You put forward a statement, I am bringing back evidence to the contrary. All part of a healthy debate, in my opinion.
    But you havent provided evidence to the contray as you say, yoh provided 3 names all of who didnt actually start playing league football and playing well till the were already 21 so were to old for youth level.

Joe Aribo was a first team regular at 19/20 so could have played at under 21 level still
  • Options
    Paulie, this started with Soundas saying it happens all the time, which you disputed, no one mentioned excluding certain players, so yes, Callum clearly provided contrary evidence.

"39% of their squad had not played youth international football." Would certainly suggest it happens a fair amount.

Don't take everything as a personal attack, someone disagreeing with an incorrect statement is hardly taking the piss, especially when that person is Callum, he must be one of the least offensive people on CL! Lighten up, or you'll spend your life a very unhappy bloke.