Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

ECB’s “The Hundred”

Comments

• Options
    also he suggests that the rules of cricket might be too complicated. this coming from the chief executive of the national cricket board.
    There is a point that the game is too complicated for many casual observers. 

However, introducing a new format that even established cricket fans don't understand isn't going to help that.
  • Options
    This thread is pretty unsupportive of this format ( including myself), what’s the opinion outside CL?
  • Options
    also he suggests that the rules of cricket might be too complicated. this coming from the chief executive of the national cricket board.
    There is a point that the game is too complicated for many casual observers. 

However, introducing a new format that even established cricket fans don't understand isn't going to help that.
    I think the real difficulty is not that cricket is complicated (it really isn't), it's that you can't watch it casually.  A one day match is 100 overs, that's a looooong day.  A test match is 5 loooong days.  T20 is done and dusted in 3+ hours but even then most people won't sit still that long.  Cricket fans will watch cricket, but we're a dying breed.  Hardly any schools play it any more, so kids aren't coming in to the game in any real numbers so participants, fans are not being replenished.  Cricket needs to find new fans.  They're not going to do it the old fashioned way through grass roots participation or terrestrial TV coverage while the ECB is dependent on Sky money.  This circus version of cricket is the path of least resistance, pandering to non-cricket audiences with a dumbed down product for people who don't 'get' cricket but might watch some spectacle of a frantic, panic stations corruption of the game.

Personally, I think if they're going to go this route they haven't gone far enough.  To slot easily into terrestrial TV schedules and have plenty of scoring it needs to be 9 a side and 10 overs.  
  • Options
    BR3red said:
    This thread is pretty unsupportive of this format ( including myself), what’s the opinion outside CL?

as if anybody else matters
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    It's going to be pure unadulterated cack.....it's getting to the stage where another sport entirely is being marketed. ..a very sad anodyne tasteless half baked fast food style version of what is a beautiful sport ...it literally isn't cricket..it's something else ...it may bring in a new audience but the old audience won t watch it ..
  • Options
    I think I think they lost something when the Sunday 40 overs matches got shifted all over the week, then abolished.

a perfect way of spending a Sunday afternoon, and not an early start either so quite relaxed
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Why didn't they just pump some more money into the T20 tournament to attract major overseas players like the IPL?
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    I think I think they lost something when the Sunday 40 overs matches got shifted all over the week, then abolished.

a perfect way of spending a Sunday afternoon, and not an early start either so quite relaxed
    The JPL was great, as you say removing it from the uniformed 2pm-6.40pm slot started the rot along with coloured clothing and fielding restrictions. I really don't think any of the post-Packer innovations have made the one day game anymore attractive. The Gillette Cup (Nat West Trophy) and ICC World Cup were great at 60 overs with the only restriction being 12 over max for bowlers. Power plays and fielding restrictions have done nothing but make the game predictable. 
  • Options
    cafc999 said:
    Why didn't they just pump some more money into the T20 tournament to attract major overseas players like the IPL?
    AB de Villiers has just signed for Middlesex, the blast is already getting top stars
  • Options
    cafc999 said:
    AB de Villiers has just signed for Middlesex, the blast is already getting top stars
    How many top stars do we have compared to the IPL?
  • Options
    cafc999 said:
    cafc999 said:
    How many top stars do we have compared to the IPL?
    We will probably have as many as the Big Bash but nothing like the IPL - for a start the Indians won't be allowed to play.
  • Options
    The three main spokespeople for The Hundred, supported by the ECB, - Tom Harrison, formerly Andrew Strauss and England bowler Stuart Broad - have all given thoroughly different assessments and then further contradicted themselves in exactly who the main target groups are for the Hundred, and how it will benefit all formats of the current game, domestically and internationally.

We're not told cricket fans will love it and it is already a success with them, less than 12 months after being very pre-historically told that it's aimed at "mums and kids". Anyone who's a county first-class member will tell you already that plenty of "mums" (women) already attend and understand the other formats of the game, some, shock horror, better than men. If this format is being true in it's genuine stance (and it's not) that it was initially drawn up to bring a wider and younger audience to the game by "simplifying and exciting further the T20 format" then that's b*****s because the rules set-up has them including powerplays and the same fielding restrictions used in 50-over cricket so if it really is a simple man's T20, it's not  is it? 

What I believe it is, is two fronts;

a) the ECB getting jealous over India, the Caribbean and et al's success with independent T20 tournaments from a format they created. So they've now decided they want to reconquer that part of the game with a newer format, and as usual the ECB, like with their domestic scheduling, have over-complicated it because they can't help themselves.

b) they want to use this to not-so subtely move in the direction of city-based franchise teams in T20 and combination counties in a reduced one-division county set-up, ideas I thoroughly hate. The domestic game is frequently the point of scorn whenever England struggle, rarely getting the praise the other way. There are several problems with the domestic game, not least of all the insane scheduling and jumping back and forth between formats, the earlier starts that is not conducive to weather (you could play CC cricket in this country in October the past 5 years, can you f**k play it in April!), then there's the state of pitches where counties have been drilled to produce slower pitches, weighed in favour of tosses and spinners because they need to develop there, and faster bowlers are negated. Then counties are too greatly subsidised by T20, a lack of commercial investment in FC cricket and they go and sign Rashid Khans so it doesn't matter anyway, and then England leave a leading wicket-taker like Jack Leach out of their test team and the whole thing looks pointless.
  • Options
    I have been slagging off the all singing, all dancing, super groovy Hundred .. however, I confess to being intrigued and will watch the first game .. the men's version that is, sorry ladies
  • Options
    I'm looking forward to it. Was not convinced at first, but think it's going to be great. 
    Just a shame it's been delayed by a year so it clashes with the England team Playing India in the tests meaning the team line ups have gone a bit on the wonk from the original line ups. 
    I enjoyed watching the women playing India recently too so am planning to watch tonight's game.
  • Options
    Despite thinking the whole thing is a load of old shit, I think I will watch it, because it’s live cricket on tv. I wish The President was still with us so that he could witness my climbdown. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It will draw huge crowds and the biggest-ever TV ratings for domestic cricket. Some people will refuse to enjoy it and will miss out. Some people will become converted to cricket for life. Future England players will be in the crowds and inspired. Former England players will be divided. 

I'm just looking forward to the shots and giggles, and not giving a toss who wins. 
  • Options
    What’s the story with overs 6 ball and a ten ball
    or 5 ball overs 
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Not buying the added axcitement and huge crowds as 20/20 doesnt give us that (So how would 20 deleveries less make it even more exciting?)

• Options
    The biggest change to current forms of cricket is each 100-ball innings is essentially split into 20 five-ball overs.
    All five balls must be delivered by the same bowler but a captain can choose to continue with the same bowler for 10 consecutive balls.
    After a set of five balls the umpire will hold up a white card to signal the end of each over, but players will only change ends after every 10 balls - not at the end of each over.

From bbc 
  • Options
    What’s the story with overs 6 ball and a ten ball
    or 5 ball overs 
    5 balls per bowler I think but i think they can bowl consecutive '5 balls'
  • Options
    I have no interest in cricket but will be there tomorrow night for a corporate event, i'm going only for the free food and drink.
  • Options
    I don't see the point in the competition if i'm honest. But watching some of the best in the world whack it isn't gonna be bad. Got tickets for tomorrow and then going down to Southampton next Friday to watch the Southern Brave.
  • Options
    my mate who has zero knowledge of cricket got me and my dad tickets... so i'll be going tomorrow night. Should be, at the very least, interesting!