Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Favourite Old Skool Dinners

Comments

• Options
    Another vote for liver and bacon, with mash, cabbage and thick onion gravy.
  • Options
    Heinz tinned ravioli on toast
  • Options
    Stelios and Annie a young Greek couple from a small village in Northern Crete, arrived at Heathrow last Saturday week.
    They were staying for a week with my daughter and her husband who had befriended them while holidaying on the island of Crete.
    It was the first time they had ventured beyond Greece, so everything was exciting to them.
    My wife and I entertained them on one of the days while my daughter and her husband went to work.
    They were fascinated by our custom and food which they insisted had to be British (or English).
    My wife cooked a large 'Cottage' pie which Stelios eagerly began to devour.
    "This is so good" he said.
    "And what is that"? he said pointing to the gravy boat.
    "Err thats gravy" said my wife.
    "Grav, Grav, I will try some" he said pouring some on his Cottage pie.
    "And that"? he said pointing to the H.P. sauce.
    "Thats sauce" I said.
    "Try a little on your pie".
    He poured a little on his pie and tasted the sauce and smiled.
    "Thats very good"
    He then poured H.P. sauce and gravy over his Cottage pie and gleefully devoured the lot.
    I could fill a whole page with the wonderful day we spent with Stelios and Annie who are now back with their family in a small village in Northern Greece.  

I started reading this as a rhyme and kept going back to see if it was meant to be or I wasn't reading it properly (until half way through obviously) 
  • Options
    turkey twizzlers fuck you jamie oliver
  • Options
    Chocolate pudding and lumpy chocolate custard - I loved it!
  • Options
    You can have all your high end culinary expensive drizzled with Ju grub....BUT no meal beats a full monty fry up !
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    I used to have : 
    Cheese,Chips and Gravy (no i am not northern) 
    Failing that hash browns cheese and gravy
    Wedges cheese and gravy 

Something quick and easy so i can go and play football. 

Edit- OOPS i thought you meant literally School dinners my bad
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Wednesday was always a roast and Fridays fish and chips.

Telling the dinner ladies you were a Vegan " well fuck off to the DRs and get out of the line"

Loved school dinners
  • Options
    suet pudding
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Old skool dinners (which I think of as dinners I used to have as a kid/teenager in the 1970s and 1980s) and which  I  still regularly make:

Gammon/ham, egg, chips, peas. I make a ham ever Xmas and Easter. So this is usually leftovers but will often order for a pub lunch too. I like it with red and brown sauces and mustard too. 
    Chilli con carne. Slow cooked
    Spag bol
    Shepherds pie/cottage pie with cheesey mash, peas, carrots, extra gravy
    Egg, chips, beans
    Lancashire hot pot. Must be lamb cutlets. Potatoes should be crispy at the top
    Bangers and mash. Lots of onion gravy
    Chicken stew. Mianly made in over with chicken layered on top of the veg to get a crispy skin

I don't know how to do pastry otherwise I would make pies regularly. 

• Options
    Thick chunks of tinned corn beef, mash and processed peas. Mind you it is a pain having to use a Kango hammer to get the tin open.
  • Options
    Jints said:
    Old skool dinners (which I think of as dinners I used to have as a kid/teenager in the 1970s and 1980s) and which  I  still regularly make:

Gammon/ham, egg, chips, peas. I make a ham ever Xmas and Easter. So this is usually leftovers but will often order for a pub lunch too. I like it with red and brown sauces and mustard too. 
    Chilli con carne. Slow cooked
    Spag bol
    Shepherds pie/cottage pie with cheesey mash, peas, carrots, extra gravy
    Egg, chips, beans
    Lancashire hot pot. Must be lamb cutlets. Potatoes should be crispy at the top
    Bangers and mash. Lots of onion gravy
    Chicken stew. Mianly made in over with chicken layered on top of the veg to get a crispy skin

I don't know how to do pastry otherwise I would make pies regularly. 

the quality of ready made pastry you can get at the supermarket these days is good enough that you don't need to make it yourself.
  • Options
    Riviera said:
    I'm a massive fan of Shepherds Pie as it appears are many on here. But do you really make Shepherds Pie? Or are you actually serving Cottage Pie? Shepherds pie is made with lamb, usually minced and Cottage Pie with beef and again usually minced. I must admit I use minced beef but still call it Shepherd's Pie. I have used minced lamb but really find it too fatty for such a dish.
    I normally buy a massive leg of lamb for Sunday and then use the leftovers for a real Cottage Pie - works great!
  • Options
    Toad in the hole 
  • Options
    Stuffed Braised Hearts
    Steak and Kidney Pudding
    Bacon and Onion Pudding
    Liver and Bacon
    Boiled Bacon and Pease Pudding
    Tripe and Onions
    Jellied eels
    Spotted Dick
    Treacle Sponge
    Baked Apple 

• Options
    _MrDick said:
    Stuffed Braised Hearts
    Steak and Kidney Pudding
    Bacon and Onion Pudding
    Liver and Bacon
    Tripe and Onions
    Jellied eels
    Spotted Dick
    Treacle Sponge
    Baked Apple 

Lovely - but a bit of a cholesterol time bomb ticking away in that lot!
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Lancashire hot pot

Indeed a few of these regional dishes are worth a try, e.g haggis, or scouse
    Pan haggerty.
    think it’s a northern dish with layers of potatoes, cheese and onions. Used to have it with layers of streaky bacon as well but not sure if that is traditional.
  • Options
    Current staples:

Chilli and rice with or wothout meat
    baked potato, chicken breast coated in bread crumbs and fried in butter, with peas
    Rib of beef, Yorkshires, stuffing, veg (like to do mashed parsnip and carrot with butter)
    lentil not-shepherds pie is surprisingly good
    spag Bol 
    Polpettini meatballs as per a very old Jamie Oliver recipe with mozzarella in the bake and Parmesan on the top

Real Old Skool bring out every once in a while:

Sausage hotpot. My mums recipe seemed to involve cooking some sausages to get some colour to the outside the. Putting in a big dish in a he oven layers of thinly sliced potatoes, baked beans, sausages and I think she used to add a tin of oxtail soup. Have t had that for 20 years must ask her. 
  • Options
    a big pot of homemade soup, preferably scotch broth ( i love pearl barley)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Boiled bacon with tinned potatoes and tinned mixed veg.
  • Options
    Toad in the hole is a personal favorite, not had it in ages either. I might cook one tomorrow.
  • Options
    Heinz tinned ravioli on toast
    Heinz tinned spaghetti bolognese on toast
  • Options
    Roast Chicken, Roast Spuds, Peas / Sweetcorn / Carrots, Paxo stuffing (not the posh fresh stuff) and lashings of Bisto gravy (but the dark roast beef one, not the chicken one)
  • Options
    Pork Chop, chips and Beans, round my Nan's flat on a Tuesday while watching Ask the Family or Screen Test

I some times have it as a grown up, but it tastes different without Robert Robertson or Michael Rodd in the background    
  • Options
    Lancashire hot pot

Indeed a few of these regional dishes are worth a try, e.g haggis, or scouse
    Pan haggerty.
    think it’s a northern dish with layers of potatoes, cheese and onions. Used to have it with layers of streaky bacon as well but not sure if that is traditional.
    Ain't she the fat bird from the chase?
  • Options
    Davo55 said:
    _MrDick said:
    Stuffed Braised Hearts
    Steak and Kidney Pudding
    Bacon and Onion Pudding
    Liver and Bacon
    Tripe and Onions
    Jellied eels
    Spotted Dick
    Treacle Sponge
    Baked Apple 

Lovely - but a bit of a cholesterol time bomb ticking away in that lot!
    Well, that’s what I was brought up on. I’m coming up to 60 so it hasn’t  done me too much harm  :D The difference between the 60’s and 70’s and now is we used to walk everywhere back then so all that tasty food would be burnt off 
  • Options
    Cod fillet in a bag with parsley sauce and smiley face potatoes. Dollop of ketchup.
  • Options

spam fritters

Treacle sponge and custard

chocolate sponge with mint custard

frankfurters

School meal treats I remember from Addey and Stanhope from 1970-1976

• Options
    Risoles and Smash, followed by Wagon Wheel and Ice Cream. Proper working class grub!