Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Catering at the Valley

Comments

• edited September 21
    Me and my son had some of the famous Chicken George food before the Rotherham game . The Chicken strips were so dry they were was inedible. 
    George can do one along with his chickens.
    What were the vegan options?

I do hope it was a (fake) cheese and onion pastry.
  • Chicken George is becoming my highlight of going to the Valley, managed to convince my dad and my brother to try it and they've both said it's the best food they've had at the Valley, love it!
    Starting from a very very low bar
  • edited September 21
    I had Chicken George before the game and it was banging. Service was brilliant too. Might as well give them the contract for the whole ground.
  • JohnnyH2 said:
    If you want a beer go to a pub, people who run them do it for a living

If you want food, use the stalls, cafes, restaurants in the streets outside, people who run them do it for a living.

No pub or fast food chain could deal with a couple of thousand customers wanting to be served and completed their beer in 15 minutes
    I agree with the sentiment re drinking in pubs and buying food outside the ground. It's always better, and will always be my choice. However, there's a huge market of people at every club who want the convenience of buying in the ground. 

Spurs and, to a slightly lesser extent, Arsenal and Wembley stadium, have clocked on to the fact that you make a lot more money if you sell edible food and drinkable drinks and use a combination of technology plus enough kiosks and staff to sell it at the necessary pace to make sure everyone gets the opportunity to buy what they want without having to walk down ten minutes before half time. Even with the shit crowds we get these days, we're probably missing out on a couple of grand every week at least with the rubbish quality and service on offer at The Valley. Has anything changed in the last 25 years? USA has blokes walking through the crowds with a keg and tap on their back selling beers, it's not complicated.
  • shine166 said:
    The fans bar food tasted and looked like it had been sat for hours and we purchased at 12.30. Chicken george every time from now on.
    I remember him at Millwall. Not very well liked 
  • Me and my son had some of the famous Chicken George food before the Rotherham game . The Chicken strips were so dry they were was inedible. 
    George can do one along with his chickens.
    Millwall slag
  • JohnnyH2 said:

If you want food, use the stalls, cafes, restaurants in the streets outside, people who run them do it for a living.

No pub or fast food chain could deal with a couple of thousand customers wanting to be served and completed their beer in 15 minutes
    That's great, but if you're shit at it, don't charge £12 for 1 spoon full of mash and 2 dried out sausages... then complain that the club make no money from the sales of CG and not allow it inside.

I can unserstand food being rushed hours into service, but not as soon as you've opened. 
  • edited September 22
    @JohnnyH2 and @MrLargo   -  spot on

The only positive I can add is the half time pint I got from the Lower CE machine was a nice pint!
  • Sponsored links:

• My son was impressed with the new beer vending machine, only 1, but reckon it’s a lot quicker.
    Is it the same price as going to the bar?
  • edited September 22
    follett said:
    My son was impressed with the new beer vending machine, only 1, but reckon it’s a lot quicker.
    Is it the same price as going to the bar?
    Yes . Simple to use and a nice pint (I had Peroni). Can have a pint or half, and can do 2 at a time.
  • Beer machine was quick and was a decent pint. 
  • cafc999 said:
    Beer machine was quick and was a decent pint. 
    How does the machine know if the buyer is over 18?
  • clive said:
    cafc999 said:
    Beer machine was quick and was a decent pint. 
    How does the machine know if the buyer is over 18?
    When I have seen them at the cricket you have a steward who let's the customers use them (or not it under 18)
  • There was a steward/ club catering lady at the one in covered end.
  • MrLargo said:
    JohnnyH2 said:

Has anything changed in the last 25 years? USA has blokes walking through the crowds with a keg and tap on their back selling beers, it's not complicated.
    Fulham had that 15-20 years back, I think. 
  • JohnnyH2 said:

But it can be done. I've seen it.
    Elsewhere granted. But I've witnessed it.
  • Sponsored links:

• JohnnyH2 said:

It was good to see the stand alone beer machines which seemed pouplare and definitley reduced the queues.

:D:D  
  • Hope it's not the same garbage they serve up normally. 

• shine166 said:
    Hope it's not the same garbage they serve up normally. 

shine166 said:
    Hope it's not the same garbage they serve up normally. 

A shame that the club cannot follow Bromley Addicks and not charge for meeting ex players.
  • edited September 25
    JohnnyH2 said:
    MrLargo said:
    JohnnyH2 said:

I agree with the sentiment re drinking in pubs and buying food outside the ground. It's always better, and will always be my choice. However, there's a huge market of people at every club who want the convenience of buying in the ground. 

Spurs and, to a slightly lesser extent, Arsenal and Wembley stadium, have clocked on to the fact that you make a lot more money if you sell edible food and drinkable drinks and use a combination of technology plus enough kiosks and staff to sell it at the necessary pace to make sure everyone gets the opportunity to buy what they want without having to walk down ten minutes before half time. Even with the shit crowds we get these days, we're probably missing out on a couple of grand every week at least with the rubbish quality and service on offer at The Valley. Has anything changed in the last 25 years? USA has blokes walking through the crowds with a keg and tap on their back selling beers, it's not complicated.
    Nothing has changed since we went back in 92. We go totally go round in circles, bringing in new caterers, bringing it in house, changing management at the club who say it will be better, fans reps shown pies cooked by people who will never be there on a matchday.

The issues at the Valley is the concourses are too small or exposed to the elements. Also being based in London you will always struggle to get decent staff.

The whole thing needs to be radically changed

Everything sold inside the ground needs to be done for ultra quick service that even the staff we have at the ground can cope with. Bottled beer so nothing needs to be poured, all food sold is literally something they can hand over with minimal fuss, nothing that needs to be dished up (saw this at Peterborough)

Use the car park (and in defence the new management seem to be on this track) to bring independent vendors whose livelihood depend on it, selling quality food and beer before and after the game
    Re your last sentence.
    Lincoln City do this with great success.
    At the rear of one of the stands there’s many independent vendors selling a wide range of food and drinks, many with seating.
    In inclement weather they set up shelters.
    They charge very reasonable prices and serve up great food, they simply have to, otherwise folk will go elsewhere as there’s quite a lot of competition.
    Some live or piped music too…..sort of a summer fate atmosphere is how I’d describe it.
  • edited September 25
    JohnnyH2 said:
    MrLargo said:
    JohnnyH2 said:

Nothing has changed since we went back in 92. We go totally go round in circles, bringing in new caterers, bringing it in house, changing management at the club who say it will be better, fans reps shown pies cooked by people who will never be there on a matchday.

The issues at the Valley is the concourses are too small or exposed to the elements. Also being based in London you will always struggle to get decent staff.

The whole thing needs to be radically changed

Everything sold inside the ground needs to be done for ultra quick service that even the staff we have at the ground can cope with. Bottled beer so nothing needs to be poured, all food sold is literally something they can hand over with minimal fuss, nothing that needs to be dished up (saw this at Peterborough)

Use the car park (and in defence the new management seem to be on this track) to bring independent vendors whose livelihood depend on it, selling quality food and beer before and after the game
    Re your last sentence.
    Lincoln City do this with great success.
    At the rear of one of the stands there’s many independent vendors selling a wide range of food and drinks, many with seating.
    In inclement weather they set up shelters.
    They charge very reasonable prices and serve up great food, they simply have to, otherwise folk will go elsewhere as there’s quite a lot of competition.
    Some live or piped music too…..sort of a summer fate atmosphere is how I’d describe it.
    Sounds a lot like a fanzone ..... 
  • I agree with what most have said, and major improvements are needed, but in fairness I do think the Pukka Pies served in the ground are decent - always hot and pastry nice and crisp (not microwaved). The chicken balti pie is excellent.

It would be really good if there was somewhere you could get a half decent cup of coffee. There was a coffee stall behind the AC for one game last season, and their coffee was good, but have not seen it since. Maybe footie isn't really the place for artisan coffee!
  • I agree with what most have said, and major improvements are needed, but in fairness I do think the Pukka Pies served in the ground are decent - always hot and pastry nice and crisp (not microwaved). The chicken balti pie is excellent.

It would be really good if there was somewhere you could get a half decent cup of coffee. There was a coffee stall behind the AC for one game last season, and their coffee was good, but have not seen it since. Maybe footie isn't really the place for artisan coffee!
    There also was a coffee stall inside the Fans' bar last season, not sure if he is there this season. 

There also was a coffee stall inside the Fans' bar last season, not sure if he is there this season. 
    They are
  • Feel like there’d be a big market for non instant coffee pre game but it doesn’t work at half time. If you have to steam milk and brew espresso for every customer you’ll only serve about 5/6 people