Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

BBC Sports Personality of the Year

12346»

Comments

• Options
    Solidgone said:
    Unless there is a cock up and all his votes go to the wrong place. Then Stoke will win team of the year!
    Fantastic innings but the overall objective was to win the Ashes which wasn’t met. I’m sure Hamilton will win another F1 crown so he would get my vote. Not that I would vote for such a phoney award. 
    What about the World Cup? We are talking about two fantastic innings.
  • Options
    Stokes will win. Hope the athletics has caught the public imagination, though it's on BBC at a decent time, it's a poorly run tournament
  • Options
    Stokes will win, Dina second. Unless England (or indeed one of the other home nations) win the rugby WC which may create a new "name"

Hamilton will be shortlisted, but him winning his 6th title is hardly headline news.
  • Options
    Lineker will get it .. such a sport .. he's agreed to take a pay cut (and not before fecking time)
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Can’t believe Hamilton only has one Spoty..... he is our most decorated F1 driver ever, and arguably on his way to being the greatest the sport has ever seen. 

I think a lifetime achievement award will surely come (along with a knighthood) when he retires from the sport in a couple of years.

I mean - Alistair Cook has been knighted!

Sir Mo Farah over Hamilton?! Really?
  • Options
    Can’t believe Hamilton only has one Spoty..... he is our most decorated F1 driver ever, and arguably on his way to being the greatest the sport has ever seen. 

I think a lifetime achievement award will surely come (along with a knighthood) when he retires from the sport in a couple of years.

Because F1 is barely a sport. 
  • Options

Because F1 is barely a sport. 
    Oh god this one again. Come back when you’ve lost a tonne of body weight racing in 35 degree heat under triple layer racesuits, getting pounded by g forces, having your internal organs shifting in your body under braking load. Oh and if you make a mistake you can die. As has happened in motorsport recently.

And if you say anyone drives - that’s like comparing Mo Farah running to me jogging down platform 12 at Waterloo to get my train.
  • Options
    I think the general feeling though is at the end of the day if you are not in a top car you are not going to win. The equipment outweighs the skill. 

Whereas with Mo for instance racing against someone in pumas is no different to racing someone in Nike. 

I am a big Lewis Hamilton fan by the way and agree he will be Sir Lewis soon. 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    I think the general feeling though is at the end of the day if you are not in a top car you are not going to win. The equipment outweighs the skill. 

Whereas with Mo for instance racing against someone in pumas is no different to racing someone in Nike. 

I am a big Lewis Hamilton fan by the way and agree he will be Sir Lewis soon. 
    Gianluca Fisicella and Luca Badoer in a Ferrari are prove you need to have the skill if your in one of the fastest cars though
  • Options
    You can be the greater racing car driver in the world, but if you're racing in a bad car your name will never be mentioned. 

Hamilton is marketable and has the correct nationality, that's basically all it took for him to be in a quick car. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    You can be the greater racing car driver in the world, but if you're racing in a bad car your name will never be mentioned. 

Hamilton is marketable and has the correct nationality, that's basically all it took for him to be in a quick car. 
    Not strictly true as he had outdriven all his teammates. He is there on merit. 
  • Options
    edited October 2019

Nothing to do with having the most outstanding career in Karting and Junior Formulae on the grid, no?

Never mind the fact he has won races in Mclarens especially in 2009 that had no right to be winning races.

he is in a quick car cos he is the best driver on the grid and potentially the best in history when all is said and done 
  • Options
    Sir Lewis Hamilton?

Only after he pays back the VAT he saved when he bought his plane.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Sir Lewis Hamilton?

Oh ffs who gives a fuck. Get over yourself.... why single him out and not any of the other sportsmen and celebs who do the same? It’s not illegal.... 

What is it about Lewis in particular you don’t like? ....
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Sir Lewis Hamilton?

Oh ffs who gives a fuck. Get over yourself.... why single him out and not any of the other sportsmen and celebs who do the same? It’s not illegal.... 

What is it about Lewis in particular you don’t like? ....
    Lol. Wind your neck in.
  • Options
    My necks fine thanks. 

Going back to my question - what is it about Lewis Hamilton in particular? Wondering what it is you don’t like about him in particular?

Assume you have problems with pretty much every other celeb and sportsman that earns a lot and takes advice from the team around them?

Hamiltons criticism is massively out of proportion when you look at the lack of criticism on many others
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    My necks fine thanks. 

Going back to my question - what is it about Lewis Hamilton in particular? Wondering what it is you don’t like about him in particular?

Assume you have problems with pretty much every other celeb and sportsman that earns a lot and takes advice from the team around them?

Hamiltons criticism is massively out of proportion when you look at the lack of criticism on many others
    Are you directing that at me? If so I don't know why. I think I've made one single comment on this thread.

But as you're asking then I can honestly say I don't have much of an opinion about Lewis Hamilton either way.

My personal view is that motor racing is incredibly dull to watch. A bit like golf in that I would imagine it's good to participate in, but dull to watch unless you are already into it. Fair enough if you are into it, but its not my cup of tea as it seems to be a lot down to the team and equipment (the car) rather than just down to the talent of the individual. There's no denying that talent and application is needed to be a successful driver, but as someone said above, to be successful isn't always solely down to the individual in the same way that it would with, say, a runner or a tennis player.

LH has always seemed OK when I've bothered to pay any attention, so I'm not "anti" him. Not at all. 

But he did get involved in something to save himself some tax which although wasn't illegal was more than slightly on the dubious side. Why do I think that? Because I've been a VAT advisor for the past 20 years and that type of scheme - which has been around for years - has always been at the ultra-aggressive end of the scale and is something that most advisors would advise against - or else implement it with a serious health warning. So, did he know what he was doing? Probably. Should he have known? Definitely. So you pays (or rather "saves") your money and you take your chances.

But I'm still not "anti" him and would make the same sort of comment if people were suggesting that, say, Jimmy Carr should be knighted.

How's that for an answer then?

Or were you thinking I might not like him because he's black?

• Options
    Off_it said:
    My necks fine thanks. 

Are you directing that at me? If so I don't know why. I think I've made one single comment on this thread.

But as you're asking then I can honestly say I don't have much of an opinion about Lewis Hamilton either way.

My personal view is that motor racing is incredibly dull to watch. A bit like golf in that I would imagine it's good to participate in, but dull to watch unless you are already into it. Fair enough if you are into it, but its not my cup of tea as it seems to be a lot down to the team and equipment (the car) rather than just down to the talent of the individual. There's no denying that talent and application is needed to be a successful driver, but as someone said above, to be successful isn't always solely down to the individual in the same way that it would with, say, a runner or a tennis player.

LH has always seemed OK when I've bothered to pay any attention, so I'm not "anti" him. Not at all. 

But he did get involved in something to save himself some tax which although wasn't illegal was more than slightly on the dubious side. Why do I think that? Because I've been a VAT advisor for the past 20 years and that type of scheme - which has been around for years - has always been at the ultra-aggressive end of the scale and is something that most advisors would advise against - or else implement it with a serious health warning. So, did he know what he was doing? Probably. Should he have known? Definitely.

But I'm still not "anti" him and would make the same sort of comment if people were suggesting that, say, Jimmy Carr should be knighted.

Hamilton seems to get so much more attention on the tax issues than anyone else..... has always been the case and I don’t get it. 

I would blame his advisors, accountants etc. I dont think he would have had much of a clue as to the rules, and why’s and wherefores. He’s just gonna do what he is advised as the most cost effective way of buying a private jet.

I would probably have done the same if I were advised. Name a human being that wouldn’t save a fortune in tax if you could.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    Off_it said:
    My necks fine thanks. 

But he did get involved in something to save himself some tax which although wasn't illegal was more than slightly on the dubious side. Why do I think that? Because I've been a VAT advisor for the past 20 years and that type of scheme - which has been around for years - has always been at the ultra-aggressive end of the scale and is something that most advisors would advise against - or else implement it with a serious health warning. So, did he know what he was doing? Probably. Should he have known? Definitely.

Hamilton seems to get so much more attention on the tax issues than anyone else..... has always been the case and I don’t get it. 

I would blame his advisors, accountants etc. I dont think he would have had much of a clue as to the rules, and why’s and wherefores. He’s just gonna do what he is advised as the most cost effective way of buying a private jet.

I would probably have done the same if I were advised. Name a human being that wouldn’t save a fortune in tax if you could.

Anyone who gets "outed" gets grief, whether they get done for breaking the law (Lester Piggott) , get acquitted (Harry Redknapp, Ken Dodd) or don't even get prosecuted in the first place because the arrangements are legal, albeit contentious (Hamilton, Jimmy Carr, Gary Barlow). On top of those individuals I've mentioned you can probably add corporates like Amazon, Google, Starbucks, Vodaphone etc to the third category - all of whom have repeatedly had grief over the years. I don't think LH has had a rougher ride publicity-wise than any of those I've mentioned.

Relying on others, such as accountants or advisors, is not a viable excuse. That's not just my view, its settled law.

"Name a human being that wouldn't save a fortune in tax if they could?" I could name you dozens, hundreds. Sure, most people don't want to pay more than they need to, but celebrities, public figures and corporate entities are acutely aware that their image/reputation could make or break them, so - you may be surprised to hear - will more likely try to steer away from doing anything that may come back to bite them rather than do anything they could to save every penny. It all comes down to their "attitude to risk" - including reputational risk as well as the risk of "getting caught" - which some people might equate to "greed".

But to shrug your shoulders and say "everyone is at it" just isn't right. They're not. Take my word for it.