Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

BBC Sports Personality of the Year

Comments

• Options
    rina said:

I hate the title of this award as Personality should have nothing to do with Sport - I dont give a shit about how chatty and nice a Sportsman can be and think they should change it

Thomas though really is a lovely bloke!!

personality
    /pəːsəˈnalɪti/Submit
    noun
    the combination of characteristics or qualities that form an individual's distinctive character.
    "she had a sunny personality that was very engaging"
    synonyms: character, nature, disposition, temperament, make-up, persona, psyche, identity
    "her cheerful and vibrant personality"
    a celebrity or famous person.
    "an official opening by a famous personality"
    synonyms: celebrity, VIP, star, superstar, celebutante, name, famous name, household name, big name, somebody, leading light, notable, personage, luminary, notability, worthy; More
    Agreed... But when it comes to SPOTY people always seem to think its just the first definition that applies to Personality

Just change it back to Sports Person of the Year for simplicity
  • Options

Just change it back to Sports Person of the Year for simplicity

that would probably be better
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

I just can’t stomach it going to the bloke who wins because he has the best car but that’s more to do with the fundamentals of the sport than anything Hamilton’s done wrong.

Only the best drivers get to drive the best cars.

Someone put a great comment on here previously that’s the reason Messi plays for Barca not Bromley. The best players get taken by the best teams.
    Fair enough. Could say the same about the winner Thomas relying on his team during TdF.
  • Options
    For personality you have to be considering Tyson Fury, Billy Monger. Geraint Thomas is someone who has been successful but it isn't sports achievement of the year it's meant to be personality
  • Options
    Petition to drop the -ality from the name of the award to stop this from coming up every year.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Carter said:

For personality you have to be considering Tyson Fury, Billy Monger. Geraint Thomas is someone who has been successful but it isn't sports achievement of the year it's meant to be personality

Its not about personality it is what they have achieved.

If it was about personality then how the fuck did Murray win
  • Options

Kane 3rd wtf he was bookies favourite

Hope you didn't place a wager on him.
  • Options

Sorry but greatest moment was the England v Colombia shootout for me - We'd never won one before at the World Cup - NEVER!!... the jinx was famous

To be fair I don't think we had ever won an international netball tournament ever either and it was a pretty exciting finish even for a non netball fan! Also agree with previous poster team of the year belongs to winners so I'm glad it didn't go to England footy
    How many people were throwing beer and jumping up and down, singing in the streets hugging random people after England winning netball.

The whole nation went crazy when we won the shootout by far the sporting moment of the year
    A lot more people watched the England netball team in the Commonwealth Games final than the England football team in the World Cup Final.
  • Options
    Hamilton should have won it. Thomas did great but Froome did better and didn't win it.
  • Options
    team of the year - was disappointing followed by sporting moment of the year. Felt like it was done just for eqaulity reasons - which makes it a farce.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Hamilton should have won it. Thomas did great but Froome did better and didn't win it.

Yes but he’s a prick won’t forget when he was a no show at the london gp event - that is where kids that have no chance of seeing drivers and cars would be and he couldn’t be fucked to turn up - guys a prat.
  • Options

Kane 3rd wtf he was bookies favourite

Do they decide it then?
  • Options

Yes but he’s a prick won’t forget when he was a no show at the london gp event - that is where kids that have no chance of seeing drivers and cars would be and he couldn’t be fucked to turn up - guys a prat.
    Conveniently you put aside all the stuff he does for charity of course YOU would!

• Options

Conveniently you put aside all the stuff he does for charity of course YOU would!

I don’t need to list all the good stuff he does as I was talking about that example it was an f1 event in his home country, I also think a suit is a suitable outfit for an awards ceremony not glittery trousers and a sequinned blazer, can you clear up why you have put YOU in capitals? Ta
  • Options
    edited December 2018

I don’t need to list all the good stuff he does as I was talking about that example it was an f1 event in his home country, I also think a suit is a suitable outfit for an awards ceremony not glittery trousers and a sequinned blazer, can you clear up why you have put YOU in capitals? Ta
    Because YOU clearly have something against the bloke.
    PS.....I thought he looked great.....but as a once Top Mod back in the day, I admire anyone who “dares” to be a bit different fashion wise having been there and done it myself.....fashion wise that is.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    I don't know him well enough to know if he is a prick or not. I can say the same for all of the nominees. I know he is the best F1 driver this country has ever produced and he hasn't finished yet. He equalled Fangio's world title record this year.
  • Options

Because YOU clearly have something against the bloke.
    PS.....I thought he looked great.....but as a once Top Mod back in the day, I admire anyone who “dares” to be a bit different fashion wise having been there and done it myself.....fashion wise that is.

because he didn't turn up to a free entry event in England where many kids that will never have the opportunity to see f1 up close he chose not to turn up to despite pulling out a couple of days before - he in fact chose to go to greece for a short break.

@MuttleyCAFC didn't dispute hes an unreal sportsmen he is the best in what he does and works for the best constructors, i would put forward to you ronaldo who i think is an unreal footballer yet many dislike him - not knowing him personally of course.

the spoty is a bit of a farce anyway

celtic and ireland rugby in team of the year were never going to get votes

the sports moment of the year was ridiculous - netball great achievement but as a country i would estimate less than 1% of us saw it.

cutting off billy monger - ridiculous
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    It is a bit of a farce - agree with that. Princess Anne won it once!

Over the season, he didn't have the best car this season also.
  • Options

As has Zara Phillips
  • Options

As has Zara Phillips
    Exactly!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

As has Zara Phillips
    Exactly!
    If opening car doors becomes an Olympic sport then Meghan stands a chance in a few years.
  • Options

team of the year - was disappointing followed by sporting moment of the year. Felt like it was done just for eqaulity reasons - which makes it a farce.

The sporting moment of the year was a public vote on the BBC Sport homepage so clearly not just for equality reasons
  • Options

The sporting moment of the year was a public vote on the BBC Sport homepage so clearly not just for equality reasons
    is it?

Currently, the award is given "For the team in an individual sport or sporting discipline that has achieved the most notable performance in the calendar year to date. The team should have significant UK interest or involvement". From 2012 the award's recipient is decided by an expert panel selected by the BBC. For some years before 2012 a panel of over 30 sporting journalists, each of whom voted for their top two choices and followed a defined set of voting criteria.[1] Before that, the winner of the Team of the Year Award has been chosen by public vote[2] and picked by listeners of Radio 5 Live.[3]
  • Options

is it?

Currently, the award is given "For the team in an individual sport or sporting discipline that has achieved the most notable performance in the calendar year to date. The team should have significant UK interest or involvement". From 2012 the award's recipient is decided by an expert panel selected by the BBC. For some years before 2012 a panel of over 30 sporting journalists, each of whom voted for their top two choices and followed a defined set of voting criteria.[1] Before that, the winner of the Team of the Year Award has been chosen by public vote[2] and picked by listeners of Radio 5 Live.[3]
    Your thinking of the Team of the Year award which is as you say

The Sporting Moment of the Year award also went to the the Netball team purely for that last minute point they won which was a public vote and is (so far as I'm aware) a new award that has only been introduced this year
  • Options
    apologies made a mistake - regardless still find it odd, as i stand by my original comment that less than 1% of the country saw the netball moment.

with us hosting the netball world cup next year might get some more viewers
  • Options
    With regards to Hamilton winning it though, it shouldn't be about breaking records over the course of many years.

Like when Giggs won it, he won it because of the records he broke. But that didn't equate to him being the best sportsman of the year, it certainly wasn't the best year of his career was it.
  • Options

With regards to Hamilton winning it though, it shouldn't be about breaking records over the course of many years.

Like when Giggs won it, he won it because of the records he broke. But that didn't equate to him being the best sportsman of the year, it certainly wasn't the best year of his career was it.

I would agree, although I believe this was Hamilton's best year - winning easily in the second (at times third) best car.

• Options
    bobmunro said:

I would agree, although I believe this was Hamilton's best year - winning easily in the second (at times third) best car.

Yes I would probably agree with that. Had him or Kane to win and surprised it was Thomas.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Gotta remember that at the start of the year (even in the build up to the Tour itself) it would have been unthinkable for Thomas to be thought of as a contender for the Yellow Jersey and was all about whether Froome could win both the Giro and Tour in the same year

Thomas didnt just blow the rest of the Tour out the water yet also his team mate who has dominated the Yellow Jersey for the last few years now, and that was all the while without getting the complete backing of his team (which Froome has always had whenever he's won) - Not to mention he also won the Dauphine in the lead up so doesnt just have the one title in 2018.