Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

BBC Sports Personality of the Year

Comments

• Options
    I’ll get digs for this again. 

No sportsperson should be permitted to represent a nation based upon simply having lived there for X years in my opinion. 

If you’re not born in a country but have parents (or at a push - grandparents) that were born there....then fair enough. 

• Options
    Stokes the individual award .. CAFC the team award
  • Options
    Lyle Taylor should win.
    Patrick Bauer overseas winner.
    Which leads me to say, what a year it will have been if England can win the Ashes, what with Charlton at Wembley,ODI World Cup, The Ashes, and also possibly Rugby World Cup too.!
  • Options
    Shame he withdrew as Stokes could have been New Zealander and British Sports Personality in the same year!
  • Options
    edited August 2019

No sportsperson should be permitted to represent a nation based upon simply having lived there for X years in my opinion. 

If you’re not born in a country but have parents (or at a push - grandparents) that were born there....then fair enough. 

I agree with that. I am loving watching Archer but I still don't think he should be playing for England even with an English father. 
  • Options

I agree with that. I am loving watching Archer but I still don't think he should be playing for England even with an English father. 
    The problem I have with Archer and KP isn't that they weren't born in England but they both wanted to play for their country of birth until they weren't picked then moved as professionals to England.  

Cricket is difficult because of the few countries that play and the close links between the countries.   Its quite possible you could have world class cricketers that are born in countries that don't play cricket.

If you were born in Holland, to Dutch parents, sent to an English boarding school at 12, signed for Surrey at 16.  Should you be able to play test match cricket?

At least its not as bad as rugby union I am sure it was Fiji v the all blacks when Fiji had more new Zealand born players and the all blacks had more born in Fiji. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

The problem I have with Archer and KP isn't that they weren't born in England but they both wanted to play for their country of birth until they weren't picked then moved as professionals to England.  

Cricket is difficult because of the few countries that play and the close links between the countries.   Its quite possible you could have world class cricketers that are born in countries that don't play cricket.

If you were born in Holland, to Dutch parents, sent to an English boarding school at 12, signed for Surrey at 16.  Should you be able to play test match cricket?

At least its not as bad as rugby union I am sure it was Fiji v the all blacks when Fiji had more new Zealand born players and the all blacks had more born in Fiji. 
    Both Archer and KP are half-english, so the dutch analogy doesn't really apply? It would apply more to the Currans who aren't english in the slightest
  • Options

If you have citizenship for a country you should be able to represent that country.

However once you've commited to a country at adult level, that should be that, no more changing.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Hamilton should have won it. Thomas did great but Froome did better and didn't win it.
    Yes but he’s a prick won’t forget when he was a no show at the london gp event - that is where kids that have no chance of seeing drivers and cars would be and he couldn’t be fucked to turn up - guys a prat.
    Also, what's he doing on a list of UK sport people when he lives in Monaco so as not to contribute to the British exchequer?

If Stokes doesn't win this year, everybody who voted for the person who does win deserves having their TVs taken away.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hamilton should have won it. Thomas did great but Froome did better and didn't win it.
    Yes but he’s a prick won’t forget when he was a no show at the london gp event - that is where kids that have no chance of seeing drivers and cars would be and he couldn’t be fucked to turn up - guys a prat.
    Also, what's he doing on a list of UK sport people when he lives in Monaco so as not to contribute to the British exchequer?

If Stokes doesn't win this year, everybody who voted for the person who does win deserves having their TVs taken away.
    All people who live in Monaco aren't British? 
  • Options

What so anybody who lives abroad is no longer British anymore? What a load of total and utter bollocks. What about all the expats on this forum - no longer British?
  • Options
    Where does the CWC winning captain fit into all this then?
  • Options
    Just being captain isn't enough.
  • Options
    All this "Stokes for SPOTY" is spectacularly premature.  Yes his performance at the world cup was tremendous.  Yes his 2nd innings at Headingley was remarkable indeed.  But tossing away his wicket in the first innings was just as reprehensible as 6 or 7 of his colleagues that day.  If England don't win the Ashes then Headingley will just be a footnote, one of the 100 great sporting moments that the Beeb no longer shows.  The chances of England now winning one and avoiding defeat in the other are still very slim indeed.  Stokes has the biggest balls in that squad but he can't win it on his own.  Smith, Bayliss and captain cretin will ensure that England takes the field at Old Trafford with one hand tied behind its back.  I'd love to be wrong...
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Where does the CWC winning captain fit into all this then?
    I’ve no idea on his heritage background - but should never have been able to play for England having represented Ireland at a senior level. 
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Cafc43v3r said:

Both Archer and KP are half-english, so the dutch analogy doesn't really apply? It would apply more to the Currans who aren't english in the slightest
    Sam and Middle brother Ben (Northants) were born in Northampton. I believe their mother is English too. They did move to Zimbabwe (Father Kevins country of birth) at a young age and spend some time there but returned to the UK in their early teens for School. About half their life before the age of 18 was in the UK. Same with Tom except he was born in SA.
  • Options
    Stokes has to win, he really has acheived a lot this year.
  • Options
    Think he just lost half his votes

Never supported a club,always wanted to but never loved football enough really,my first ever football top was actually a Tottenham one,it was the blue and yellow kit with Thomson on the front. But after getting sent this I guess I’m now officially a Spurs fan @SpursOfficial #coys https://t.co/VqaxgRSF9I 
  • Options

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    If that's Ben Stokes driving the cab, we have a chance of converting him. Says Katrien.
  • Options
    England win Rugby World Cup, Coach & team of the year, Captain Farrel wins the SPOTY.
  • Options
    Surely Dina Asher-Smith is in with a shout for this now? A very impressive young lady not only her achievements but she is  articulate, humble and inspirational. Seems very emotionally mature too and a good role model
    Would love her to win.
  • Options
    Surely Dina Asher-Smith is in with a shout for this now? A very impressive young lady not only her achievements but she is  articulate, humble and inspirational. Seems very emotionally mature too and a good role model
    Would love her to win.
    Of course I'm hoping KJT gets a gold too (and what a start she's made with 2 PBs already!). But then they'd both be up for the award and could split the athletics vote. Up til now I was all for Ben Stokes but Dina for it for me. Followed by KJT if she gets gold too
  • Options
    Asher -Smith with her medals, Hamilton winning yet another Championship, but Stokes will walk it.
  • Options
    Asher -Smith with her medals, Hamilton winning yet another Championship, but Stokes will walk it.
    Petrol heads would vote for Hamilton but I don't think he'll win it because people's opinion of him is mixed and that comes into it. I think Asher-Smith will run Stokes close - no pun intended on 'run' because she'd win that one!
  • Options
    Unless there is a cock up and all his votes go to the wrong place. Then Stoke will win team of the year!
    Fantastic innings but the overall objective was to win the Ashes which wasn’t met. I’m sure Hamilton will win another F1 crown so he would get my vote. Not that I would vote for such a phoney award.