Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Reserves v Doncaster - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2018
    PWR.

Wasn't at the game as I was moving house. I think I had the better experience. Not going to bother reading the rest of the posts as from reading just the 1st page it seems like we didnt bother.

All I can say is I hope Donny don't get a cracking 3rd round tie & we win at Blackpool otherwise LB will be getting pelters from me.

PS......we won't be getting promotion anyway so stupid decision not to put out at least half a decent side. Not as if we are top 2 (Or near to them) & it's late February & not much of the season to go.
  • Options
    I think on the future if Bowyer (or any other Charlton manager) has a clearly pre-set intention of picking a severely weakened side he should say so as soon as practicably possible in advance. Then people know what they are paying for. That selection, with no forthcoming Tuesday fixture to justify the “League first” line, was a disgrace.

(Posted also on the post match thread).
  • Options

PWR.

Wasn't at the game as I was moving house. I think I had the better experience. Not going to bother reading the rest of the posts as from reading just the 1st page it seems like we didnt bother.

All I can say is I hope Donny don't get a cracking 3rd round tie & we win at Blackpool otherwise LB will be getting pelters from me.

PS......we won't be getting promotion anyway so stupid decision not to put out at least half a decent side. Not as if we are top 2 (Or near to them) & it's late February & not much of the season to go.

Is this not a bit of faux outrage Golfie? You were not even at the game?

The players today were not an embarrassment; however, a full strength team may well have beaten Donny.

In reality I think people are pissed off that they have not got a chance of a day out to Old Trafford or the Etihad, but for me I'd sooner maximise the chance of promotion.
  • Options
    Wasn't there its a long way 340 mile round trip for me. Was at Burton was at Mansfield and at both Matches at home v Mansfield and Bristol Rovers. I think the team selection v Donny was taking the piss out of our fans I would not have expected a full first team out there but at least a strong bench. Bowyer badly let the FANS (NOT CUSTOMERS) down many who would have traveled a considerable distance to be there. Very poor decision on so many levels. Disgraceful.
  • Options
    edited December 2018

se9addick said:

I think on the future if Bowyer (or any other Charlton manager) has a clearly pre-set intention of picking a severely weakened side he should say so as soon as practicably possible in advance. Then people know what they are paying for.

He did.

You were not paying attention.

Immediately after the Burton match he commented on their tiredness but said they could have 11 days rest before the Blackpool match.

Could not have said any clearer that no first team players would be picked.

I have no sympathy with anyone who went and then moaned about the selection. Anyone with half a brain would have know what sort of team we would put out.

Yeh, he did kind of signal his intent didn't he.
    . :wink:
  • Options

PWR.

6 points off second place is hardly miles off.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Marshall and Lapslie very good and Phillips but why was Ajose on the pitch as we were playing with ten men with him as a waste of space . got asked to sit down when things got exciting which summed up both west stand and the game. Shame.

When you stand up the people directly behind you have to do the same and then the people behind them have to stand and so on and so on, it is pretty thoughtless of you if you think about it. Stand in row A and pretty soon Row X is standing too!
    I agree there should be areas in every stadium where fans who prefer to can stand but until there is you should think of others and not be so selfish.
    Some of those people who are behind you are elderly and don’t want to be jumping up and down continuously, think about it.
    In the North Stand (especially in the Upper) it’s more or less acceptable, because fans there know it’s going to happen continuously throughout the game and if you buy a ticket in those areas you can hardly complain if fans spend a good deal of the time standing, it goes with the territory so to speak.
    In other parts of the ground it’s not either expected or acceptable for the reasons I have stated.

Wow.

So if you stand up at any point during a football match you're being selfish are you?

Let's hope for your sake that there aren't any exciting games or incidents at any point for the remainder of the season then ....... or in your remaining Charlton attending lifetime.
    Of course people stand up, for example when a goal is scored.....I am talking about when the ball is actually in play......those who do it, other than in areas of the ground where it’s thought of as being noticeably acceptable are being selfish.....of course selfish people won’t see it that way.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Glad I didn't bother, one of the only games I've missed this season.
  • Options
    clb74 said:

That team yesterday was much different from the team that played Mansfield away.
    I don't remember there being this much outrage from the 600 fans who went to Mansfield knowing he was going to play a weakened team.
    Even if bowyer had played a full team yesterday it might of put a 1000 on the gate , quite a few people are not interested in the fa cup till we meet a big team or progress in the competition.
    Again what makes me laugh is , if we'd won yesterday and got Bolton away we'd be lucky to take 500 up there even if playing a full strength team.
    Let's not forget at Mansfield there were 600 up there if this hadnt of been a new ground for quite a few would of been lucky to get 500 up there.
    Before someone says it was a Sunday 12.45 kick off , so was the Sheffield United game where 5000 made the trip.

Well said Chris.
    Also I owe you a pint
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Seems not only Roland to treat the fans like .

Lose to Blackpool and it was for nothing
  • Options
    I see it like some others. Winning breeds winning and it also creates confidence. Lately the team has been stealing points from games they could have lost had lady luck chosen the other team. We have a decent first 7-8 players but if the other 3-4 of them have an off game we always struggle. Lee and Jacko can see how tired or injury close our squad are and if they believe resting for a week is so important that it is worth throwing the FA Cup for yet another season then they know what we all probably realise. Disappointing it most certainly is. Understandable it also is. I want us to win every game and never smile when we lose. It always gives me the hump, so in Bowyer I trust but still feel pissed off that we are out of the cup to a side equal but no better than us.
  • Options

Fully behind Bowyer's decision to rest players. We're not going to win it and haven't got enough fit players for a cup run. Promotion is all that matters.

Ok, so let the club be up front about it by having the tickets at the minimum allowable by the FA.
  • Options
    It was a crap decision, one that has made most people have a lower opinion of him than before.
    I dont recall there being a real fixture load on players recently, and we had several players who havnt been playing or 'rested' on International fixture weekends recently who could have played.
    To suggest players are 'tired' is an insult to Charlton fans.
    As i said before, if we get 1 point from the next 2 games, then most people are gonna think he's a twat. The performances mostly over the recent games have been poor,despite the results - that will change, we cant keep scratching results from poor performances, and the tide is likely to turn.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

It was a crap decision, one that has made most people have a lower opinion of him than before.
    I dont recall there being a real fixture load on players recently, and we had several players who havnt been playing or 'rested' on International fixture weekends recently who could have played.
    To suggest players are 'tired' is an insult to Charlton fans.
    As i said before, if we get 1 point from the next 2 games, then most people are gonna think he's a twat. The performances mostly over the recent games have been poor,despite the results - that will change, we cant keep scratching results from poor performances, and the tide is likely to turn.

We've been saying that all season though and the tide has yet to turn
  • Options
    Whether the decision to rest players was right or wrong it was the comments from Lee afterwards that grated. He should give a thought to the mugs like us who paid towards his and the players not too shoddy wages.
  • Options
    The tired player excuse worries me. Not because of yesterday. But we are only in December and apparently already at a stage that players can’t pkay 3 games in 11 days.

Understand we have a small squad of valuable players, but If fitness is this low, then we will be way short of playoffs by end of season.
  • Options
    I agree with Lord B.
    We are never going to win it so why compete?
    Let the League 1 competitors get distracted by a FA Cup adventure that ends in tears, injuries and then loss of form.
    I cant even remember who won it last year and don't really care. I assume it was Man Utd, Man City or Chelsea as usual.
    It wont even exist within five years.
  • Options
    I went. Wish I hadn't. It was almost a last minute decision as well.
    Never mind, lesson learned. No more cup games for me unless there's a good reason (like the Mansfield replay where my daughter could actually go, so we spent time together).
    Thought some of the players were giving it a good go - Marshall and Phillips spring to mind. It was telling that not a single player who is currently first choice featured apart from Steer on the bench.
  • Options

Seems not only Roland to treat the fans like .

Lose to Blackpool and it was for nothing

So if Taylor, Grant & Pearce had played, got injured and were out until easter, that would be ok with you then, because Bowyer's decision was only based on us playing Blackpool ?

I think you're not taking account of the season not ending after the Blackpool game
  • Options

Was at game yesterday.Got loads of respect for LB but yesterday I feel he got it wrong.I am fed up with us having the label of 'always shit in the cups'.Could have and should have played a team more than capable of winning yesterday.By the time of the next round we will have -Pratley,Page who were not available yesterday fit again.Without any further injuries that gives us a choice of at least 8 established midfield players which should be more than enough for a L1 club.The cup is an opportunity to galvanise the fans.We got to the Quarter Finals in 2000 and still got promoted.A big opportunity missed yesterday.I will be at Blackpool next week and the league is the bread and butter for us but still dream that one day we will win the cup.Had that dream for over 50 yrs of supporting this great club - that won't change.

This is where your point collapses. If we could have guaranteed no injuries then I'm certain Bowyer would have played a stronger team.
  • Options
    In terms of the game it was pretty obvious early on it would be a struggle. Donny with a full strength team against a majority of our u23 players only really had one outcome. I felt we got a bit more confidence as the game went on in the first half and 0-0 at half time was a decent score to go in at, but it was never going to last. Two really soft goals imo.

The positives for me were Lapslie and Dijksteel getting another 90 mins under their belts against a decent league one team. I think they’re both gonna play a role as the season goes on, so the more game time they get, the better. Marshall grew into the game and that run in the second half and the ball in was superb. He was unlucky with that header too, as it was a great save. I was pleased with Billy Clarke who showed some nice touches, and looked a lot sharper than he had in the 2 previous cup games. If we get him going that’s going to be a real bonus for the 2nd half of the season. He’s a top player imo

As for the youngsters outside of Lapslie and Dijksteel, I felt they all did okay, but they are just too young to be grouped in and thrown together against such a strong opposition and it showed. Hackett Fairchild was probably the most involved I’ve seen him with a couple of nice touches. Stevenson was okay but I think lacked some composure. Felt Maloney was better than he was up at Mansfield but he had a tough ask. All in all, the result was to be expected. No matter how talented some of these youngsters are, the physicality and experience of a fully grown decent league one first XI was always going to win through. Add to that Reeves just coming back from injury and not being able to compete fully for 90 mins anyhow

In terms of the wider issue and Bowyer, I can understand the high levels of frustration and anger. Many of you have made competent arguments for the likes of Lincoln and Millwall and the benefit of a cup run and their promotions. I too would’ve loved a 3rd round tie at home to a Man City or a Liverpool as it’s been a while since we were up in the Prem and it would’ve been good to see what the Valley would look like again with 27,000 in it.

Bowyer obviously has his reasons for doing what’s he’s done. In the short time he’s been our manager I’ve had nothing but respect for him and I think he’s building something and we will go places under him. I don’t necessarily agree with the weakened team and approach for a number of reasons, but, given where we are and what we’ve achieved under him to date, I respect his decision.
  • Options

We all know why a weakened team was selected but we are not alone,how many clubs put out their first teams for cup games any more.

Doncaster

For that matter most of the teams around us in the league put out pretty strong sides as well yesterday