Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Reserves v Doncaster - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options

We all know why a weakened team was selected but we are not alone,how many clubs put out their first teams for cup games any more.

Doncaster

For that matter most of the teams around us in the league put out pretty strong sides as well yesterday
    F@cking good let's see how they get on in the cup and league
  • Options
    Feel for the few that made the effort yesterday but the lesson should now have been learned. Don't go to cup games.
  • Options
    clb74 said:

We all know why a weakened team was selected but we are not alone,how many clubs put out their first teams for cup games any more.

Doncaster

For that matter most of the teams around us in the league put out pretty strong sides as well yesterday
    F@cking good let's see how they get on in the cup and league
    If they get promoted and go out to Liverpool in the 5th round will you have it tattooed on your arse?

Please.
  • Options
    You pays yer money to Ratty this is what you get. No point in bleating on about it.
    Bowyer was correct to protect our thin squad he had no choice if he wants to give us the best chance of promotion.
  • Options
    Roland has already said winning is not important, in his view. It’s just about the dancing after the game.
  • Options

Doncaster

This. As the Doncaster manager is reported to have said "The FA Cup is huge for us and helps financially in January if I want to strengthen my squad"
  • Options

Doncaster

That is because they wanted to win and draw a top money spinning club and invest in the club, which is good for them, it will make no difference to us as RD would have used it to lower his debt and not invest
  • Options

Doncaster

This. As the Doncaster manager is reported to have said "The FA Cup is huge for us and helps financially in January if I want to strengthen my squad"
    That logic does not apply to us as long as Douchbag still owns us
    ross1 said:

Doncaster

That is because they wanted to win and draw a top money spinning club and invest in the club, which is good for them, it will make no difference to us as RD would have used it to lower his debt and not invest
    But maybe it would then mean one less player we have to sell in January to lower his debt
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Doncaster

Yes but what if we got about £500K in gate money from a plum 3rd round draw? It might mean he would be less inclined to sell someone like Aribo in January.
  • Options

razil said:

Perhaps the club should give all fans who attended a free ticket to the next cup game..

Ah, the old Joke...first prize in the raffle is a ticket to charlton’s next cup game, second prize is a ticket to charlton’s next two cup games, third prize....
    All 3 cups we've been in this season then...

Imagine if we got promotion and the prize was 3 cup games...

• Options
    From the admittedly limited BBC highlights it looked like Lapslie was playing Doncaster on his own! Nobody else seemed to be trying to track back when Doncaster attacked.
  • Options

Doncaster

Yes but what if we got about £500K in gate money from a plum 3rd round draw? It might mean he would be less inclined to sell someone like Aribo in January.
    He'll sell someone in January regardless because he can and that power turns him on.

In my opinion.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Doncaster

He'll sell someone in January regardless because he can and that power turns him on.

In my opinion.
    And mine.
    Any money made from a cup run would go straight into his pocket and have absolutely no bearing on the transfer window.
  • Options

Doncaster

£500K in gate money from a plum 3rd round draw ?

How many of the 64 remaining clubs do you think would have gate revenue of £2M in the next round ?

I say £2M, because after you've knocked off 20% VAT, then the costs and then split the money with the other club & the FA equally. You'd need £2M in gate money.

So I ask again, which match would attract £2M gate revenue ?

I suggest the answer is no match would and you're living in cloud cuckoo land.

Man U or Arsenal may come closest and we have as much chance of drawing them away as we do AFC Wimbledon.

Bowyer made a decision on facts not fairytales.
    I've no idea what a game against any of the big 5 would actually bring in but if they charged their normal prices, we might get close to it.

Even if you are right, didn't Airman say we would have got £54k for qualifying for the 3rd Round; what about the fee for TV coverage; extra sales in the shop.

It all adds up, maybe not to £500k but a pretty large sum nonetheless.
  • Options
    edited December 2018

Doncaster

How many of the 64 remaining clubs do you think would have gate revenue of £2M in the next round ?

I say £2M, because after you've knocked off 20% VAT, then the costs and then split the money with the other club & the FA equally. You'd need £2M in gate money.

Man U or Arsenal may come closest and we have as much chance of drawing them away as we do AFC Wimbledon.

I've no idea what a game against any of the big 5 would actually bring in but if they charged their normal prices, we might get close to it.

Even if you are right, didn't Airman say we would have got £54k for qualifying for the 3rd Round; what about the fee for TV coverage; extra sales in the shop.

Even if you are right and we drew one of the big 5 away, the odds of that happening are not good.
    Even if we did we have no reason for thinking RD would let LB spend the money.
    Presumably if RD had told LB he could spend the money, he may have played a stronger team.

What we are sure of is we got no injuries to first team players yesterday and they should now all be fresh for the next league game.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Doncaster

Even if you are right and we drew one of the big 5 away, the odds of that happening are not good.
    Even if we did we have no reason for thinking RD would let LB spend the money.
    Presumably if RD had told LB he could spend the money, he may have played a stronger team.

What we are sure of is we got no injuries to first team players yesterday and they should now all be fresh for the next league game.
    Just our luck that a first team player gets injured in training this week.
  • Options

Doncaster

We're more likely to let Aribo go in January.
  • Options
    I wonder why Bowyer is allowing players to get called up for international games 3 or 4 times a season. They are huge injury risks and don't contribute to our promotion push either.
  • Options

I wonder why Bowyer is allowing players to get called up for international games 3 or 4 times a season. They are huge injury risks and don't contribute to our promotion push either.

Unless he wants to make up injuries I would say that is outside his control.
  • Options

Wow, I didn't realise Bowyer is allowed to prevent international call ups.
    I bet all the other managers worldwide wish they were allowed.
    The next World Cup might be a bit boring if no one allows any call ups.
    Taylor flying to the Caribbean and playing non league level international matches is far more likely to injure him or affect him physically than playing Doncaster at the Valley.

Of course we shouldn’t stop him but that is the reality of his international excursions
    You can't stop him going, unless you lie/cheat and say he is injured.
    Even then, they can still call him up to be examined by their medics.
    You can request they are not called up but you can't legitimately prevent it.

https://resources.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/administration/ps_792_en-annex_ii_74.pdf
  • Options
    Not sure my comment required such a sarccy response. Players withdraw from international squads all the time. Look at Ryan Giggs for example. Do you think that is solely a player decision and the manager doesn't have a quiet word with the player to influence that?
  • Options

se9addick said:

I think on the future if Bowyer (or any other Charlton manager) has a clearly pre-set intention of picking a severely weakened side he should say so as soon as practicably possible in advance. Then people know what they are paying for.

He did.

You were not paying attention.

Immediately after the Burton match he commented on their tiredness but said they could have 11 days rest before the Blackpool match.

Could not have said any clearer that no first team players would be picked.

I have no sympathy with anyone who went and then moaned about the selection. Anyone with half a brain would have know what sort of team we would put out.

On the other hand he said a few weeks ago that Taylor needed a rest and wouldn’t feature in the next game but lo and behold he played 90 minutes.

Also not nice suggesting Bowyer only has half a brain .......