Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Reserves v Doncaster - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options

‘Going for promotion’

At this stage of the season virtually every club is either ‘going for promotion’ or ‘worried about relegation’. So we can’t make this specifIc about us. Every other club, some with considerably smaller squad sizes, have managed not to play their reserve team

Those agreeing with what Bowyer says that we aren’t going to win it so we should protect our best team and not try... I’d love to know if Palace and Arsenal away 69, Wolves away 76, Maidstone 79, Ipswich 81, Spurs 85, Blackburn 93, Chelsea 95, Bristol City and Man U 94, Liverpool 96, Newcastle 97, Coventry & Bolton 01, Dagenham and Spurs 04, Boro 06, Spurs 11, Fulham 12 Sheffield W 14 etc feature in any of your favourite moments following Charlton?

Because if the attitude many of you are saying today is right (resting all our players), then we’ll never probably never experience those moments (and big followings) again.

D, 19 games in 50 years and and a 1/3rd of them games In a 6 year period.

I'd love for the magic of the cup still to be there as it was when I was a kid (was at spurs Away in 80s as a 8 yo) it just ain't, it's 2018 and that's just how it is pal
  • Options
    possibly the lowest number of charlton fans [2999] at a saturday home fa cup game.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    So effectively it’s ok for clubs/managers to throw games because that seems to be what Bowyer’s saying?

Surely there’s a legal precedent here?

I hope those that were there, will notify the club and management of their displeasure!
  • Options
    whilst I am disappointed by the selection and the exit there is no comparison with working in a factory and being a highly trained athelete liable to injury.It is not tired as in needing to go to bed to sleep but tired as in risking injury.
    Anyway no one works 70 hours a week in a factory it is illegal to work that number of hours.
  • Options
    The FA Cup final used to be one of the few live games shown on tv during the season. That was the magic of the cup, back in the day. Unless you went to games, it was the only chance to see a full game live. Used to be shown simultaneously on BBC and ITV. Those days, the only other football on telly was highlights - MOTD on Saturday evening and The Big Match on Sunday afternoon.
  • Options

Putting aside the team selection argument for a second... That interview after... Don't think I've ever heard a manager so blatantly come out and say he's not bothered that his team performed poorly and lost. I've heard them try to take positives out of a defeat, make excuses or whatever, but just to outright say he isn't fussed??? I want my manager to get mad when we lose not be happy/not bothered about it. What kind of message does that send out to the players?

He's talking like it was a preseason friendly not a competitive fixture!

I think you are criticising him for being honest and would have preferred if he lied. I think the message to the players is that our focus is the league. I have sussed out that cups and Charlton do not go together and won't go to these games.
    I'm all for honesty mate, I'm actually criticising the attitude he has in the first place more than the admission. Again, if it had been a player that had said that people would be up in arms about it. I don't subscribe to the mantra that because he has done a good job thus far/is better than the rest the last 4 years that that somehow makes him beyond criticism.
    The post match comments were insulting to the fans that paid to attend today and he shouldn't have said he wasn't fussed publicly like that. We all knew it anyway but there is a certain contempt there in outright stating it, and not even mentioning the fans at all.

I still like Bowyer and think he is doing a great job in difficult circumstances, but the fans are in difficult circumstances as well and have been in it for longer - he should perhaps have reflected on that before basically sending the message that for the 3000 fans who attended today that it was essentially a waste of their time and money as he had no intention of trying to win or even draw.

We had a golden opportunity to play spurs at Wembley last year so perhaps that is still making the fa cup nonchalance a bitter pill for me to swallow this year.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Could understand it a bit more if we had swept Burton aside with our flowing promotion chasing football. We were dog turd on Tuesday, so hardly something you would try and preserve for Blackpool and Pompey. Perhaps today was an opportunity to take a couple risks with first team formation and experiment. But, if they come out and play like they did at Burton, we will not get away with it again.

It was the wrong thing to do, and Boywers first real big fuck up. Everybody is entitled to cock up now and again. Let's hope it isn't the first in a sequence of defeats .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Bowyer's job is to get the club promoted despite the circumstances of having a rubbish owner. He seems to be pretty focused on that which I am pleased about. He is still going to need luck as we have players that if injured, we can't replace. We have less risk of that now. Also, whilst we are delighted that we have been on a good run, his job is to address the issues that were apparent in the Bristol Rovers and Burton games. I said after Burton, it is great to learn things and not pay for the lesson in points. Maybe Bowyer felt a rest would help to the players in advance of two far more important games.

It is easy for us to say that playing football isn't real work and why do players need a rest. And I'm sure we could play them in more games without them complaining, but if their performance dips because of it, it is not about comparing them with factory workers, but maximising our results.
  • Options
    Bollocks team selection. When that team is announced the players know exactly what's going on. I'm all for giving a few regulars a rest but that side was totally unbalanced. Bowyers comments after the game were totally unprofessional and i hope his decisions don't bite him on the arse.
  • Options
    Hurricane in an esspesso cup some of the reactions on here. Jesus!
  • Options

Hurricane in an esspesso cup some of the reactions on here. Jesus!

Like rain on your wedding day
  • Options
    edited December 2018

What a load of bollocks resting players because they are tired. Working nearly 70 hours a week in a factory that's tired.

I still find it hard to believe that football fans do not understand the difference between being generally tired at a "normal" job and a professional footballer being tired/fatigued/playing with niggling injuries.
    This may mean that instead of being able to give 100% from the first whistle to last, they may only be able to give a bit less say perhaps 90%.

It's generally more likely that the teams that have all players able to give 100% are likely to beat a team perhaps only able to give 95%.

Also, let us not forget that despite Bowyer trying to address the issue in the summer, it seems to me that we are still possibly the "smallest" or certainly one of the "smallest" teams.
    We do get out muscled and often the opposition appear to have more running in their legs than us.

Burton for instance ran and ran from first to last on Tuesday. Our players looked jaded from the off and many out on their feet by 70 mins.
  • Options

What a load of bollocks resting players because they are tired. Working nearly 70 hours a week in a factory that's tired.

I still find it hard to believe that football fans do not understand the difference between being generally tired at a "normal" job and a professional footballer being tired/fatigued/playing with niggling injuries.
    This may mean that instead of being able to give 100% from the first whistle to last, they may only be able to give a bit less say perhaps 90%.

It's generally more likely that the teams that have all players able to give 100% are likely to beat a team perhaps only able to give 95%.

Also, let us not forget that despite Bowyer trying to address the issue in the summer, it seems to me that we are still possibly the "smallest" or certainly one of the "smallest" teams and we do get out muscled and ofter the opposition appear to have more running in their legs than us.

Burton for instance ran and ran from first to last on Tuesday. Our players looked jaded from the off and many out on their feet by 70 mins.
    I would say that this indicates that Burton squad are fitter than us. So why is that ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think we we have been physically bullied as a team for a number of seasons and there are still remnants of that although under Bowyer things have been much improved. Ability wise, I think we are one of the best, if not the best but you have to earn the right. Losing is never nice and nor should it be, but you have to see the logic in today.
  • Options

Also, let us not forget that despite Bowyer trying to address the issue in the summer, it seems to me that we are still possibly the "smallest" or certainly one of the "smallest" teams and we do get out muscled and ofter the opposition appear to have more running in their legs than us.

I would say that this indicates that Burton squad are fitter than us. So why is that ?
    Good question, because they definitely were. Many teams appear fitter than us.

Personally I wonder if it's because other teams are bigger and stronger than us ?
    If I'm competing with someone bigger and stronger than me, I believe it will require a greater effort than if I'm competing with someone smaller and weaker than me ?

Also it's not the Pearce's, Bauer's and Taylor's that need subbing through fatigue.
    It's the smaller players, Reeves, Ward etc.
    It's obviously not a science, but I think it could be something to do with it.
  • Options
    First visit of season travelled up from Bristol, delicious Pie and Mash in Greenwich, bought some cheesecakes in Greggs and popped into the Valley for some thrilling entertainment. Ah well can’t win them all so two out of three ain’t bad. Covered end choir had also gone awol today and the last time the North side of the ground was that empty was when that side was closed because of a dodgy sewer. Does that mean it’s back to Selhurst, strange days
  • Options
    rodp said:

First visit of season travelled up from Bristol, delicious Pie and Mash in Greenwich, bought some cheesecakes in Greggs and popped into the Valley for some thrilling entertainment. Ah well can’t win them all so two out of three ain’t bad. Covered end choir had also gone awol today and the last time the North side of the ground was that empty was when that side was closed because of a dodgy sewer. Does that mean it’s back to Selhurst, strange days

The North side has been closed for all the cup games this season.
  • Options

I can't believe some of the comments on here.
    I went today and yes it was shite.
    But if we win at Blackpool next Saturday Bowyer was 100% correct in his team selection today.

And if we dont win?
    We will
    Very confident there @blackpool72. Must be that local knowledge!
  • Options
    Sorry I meant the East terrace
  • Options

I'm quite taken aback by the abuse of Bowyer on here.
    During the week Bowyer and CAFC made it clear, that Bowyer felt the first team needed a rest and there would be a much changed team v Donny.

Granted I thought perhaps Bauer and maybe Taylor might play or we would have a few decent subs on the bench, but I do believe Bowyer is correct. Promotion must be our priority.
    I for one am desperate for us to get out of this division and anything we can do to help achieve that is right in my eyes.

Taylor played v Mansfield due to him missing a game through suspension and needed match sharpness.

We've had a whole string of injuries, most fans have been saying how unlucky we are with injuries.
    Yet today strangely, most fans seem to assume no one would have got injured. Perverse logic.

Chris Powell may have played stronger cup teams, but we were clear at the top of the league.
    It was only a few weeks back that this side were 13th.

Ok Doncaster may be just behind us in the league, but who on here thinks they will end up above us and in a play off spot?
    I suspect not many and I doubt in all honesty that Donny expect to make the play offs. Hope to, but not expect to.

I was at the game and I heard no one complaining about the weakened team, or booing or the like (obviously there were some).

I get the impression that the majority of people slagging off Bowyer didn't even go to the game (I may be wrong).
    It's a little bit like those getting offended on behalf of someone else.

Our team rightly or wrongly looked fatigued at Burton from the off and many were out on their feet in the last 20 minutes.

Yes £15 is too much to pay for a game Bowyer was happy to lose, but I can't believe Bowyer had any control over the admission price.

Bowyer cannot guarantee winning at Blackpool or Portsmouth and he cannot guarantee making the play offs or winning promotion. But what he can ensure is that he is doing everything he can in order to achieve this.

If Sunderland, Peterboro , Donny etc put out full strength teams, it may have just given us an edge over them in terms of injuries suffered today or perhaps in the next games due to having made small injuries worse.

The FA Cup is not what it was and never will be, despite what we may want. Only 3000 Charlton fans attended.

I'm sorry everyone is so miffed, but I still think Bowyer did the right thing and was honest enough to say so.
    We'd all like to live in an ideal world but we don't.

Let's just imagine what we'd be feeling tonight if Taylor, Grant and Pearce for example all played today, got injured and were out until easter. It would have written off our play off hopes at a stroke.

Plenty around me in the Lower North fucked off with the selection, and booing. Few even giving Bowyer barrels at the end. Not ashamed to say I did the latter too.
  • Options
    Four outfield players on the subs bench of Morgan, Kennedy, Blumberg and Sarpeng is an embarrassment.

How many players have got injured this season in training, are we not going to train now? Are Dijksteel, Sarr, Clarke and Lapslie not important players in the league either now or as the season continues? I wasn't expecting the full first eleven to start but that was shambolic.

Ajose clearly thought the game was as important as Bowyer did as do a lot of us with about 3,000 home fans present. I certainly won't be bothering with Cup games next year if this is what's to be expected. Should have gone to Welling.
  • Options

Could understand it a bit more if we had swept Burton aside with our flowing promotion chasing football. We were dog turd on Tuesday, so hardly something you would try and preserve for Blackpool and Pompey. Perhaps today was an opportunity to take a couple risks with first team formation and experiment. But, if they come out and play like they did at Burton, we will not get away with it again.

It was the wrong thing to do, and Boywers first real big fuck up. Everybody is entitled to cock up now and again. Let's hope it isn't the first in a sequence of defeats .

I think the mood is still good. We are still in a good place. Today won't affect next week. It will be more the side that played Burton or Bristol. Confidence will be there in the league from 4 in row. Performance wise we should be ok. But don't forget if Pompey draw with Rochdale tomo, then our game at Pompey is off and probably won't be played this side of new year.