Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Squad (v Republic of Ireland/Belgium/Iceland from p29)

Comments

• Poor decision for Penalty. Maguire, who I rate looked like Bambi on ice and should have been taken off when he was lucky to only get a yellow. What Grealish has to do to get in the team, well only Southgate can answer that.

I must admit, and I know many people will disagree, but the worst quality an international manager can have is loyalty. You play the best players on form and people make the team on merit.  

• Laddick01 said:
    This is up there with one of the worst England games I've ever watched.
    I almost nodded off twice.
    Not sure what the manager may learn from that game. 
  • Get him out, Maguire showed for what a useless lazy prick he is too. 
  • Maguire losing his head set us up for a bad evening and then that mystifying penalty decision finished us. I think if not for Maguire's red we would have won that quite comfortably. Not sure about some of the subs though. Bringing Sancho on and then him playing so narrow was odd, keeping the two holders on was another strange one. Grealish not getting on at all was bizarre considering you need a player who can create in tight spaces and that's his whole bag. Add to that a ref who seemed to love giving fouls against England but letting the Danes get away with a lot of dicking about and it was a bad night. A disappointing performance from Rashford too.
  • Southgate not up to it pure and simple, hopeless team selection and subs.

• edited October 2020
    If you want someone who could genuinely implement a system you go for Graham Potter. Plays good football with less resources than managers around him.

Reminds me of Southgate persona wise but actually knows how to manage a football team.
  • Think the issue continues to boil down to the performance against the Netherlands last summer

That game showed our deficiencies in defence and Southgate has been unable to find a group of defenders to fix that problem

Until that does get sorted (Reece James at Right-Back is one of them for me), he has to play with two CDMs else there is a good chance that come the bigger games we'll be losing them 4-3 at best as whilst we're great going forward, missed Sterling's pace tonight, we're still so suspect at the back - I mean how many times did Denmark look wasteful in front of goal?

Doesnt matter who we have going forward; Mount | Grealish | Kane | Calvert-Lewin | Sancho | Rashford | Sterling etc.

After all we've long proven, especially in the last qualifying campaign, that we can thrash teams by setting up right going forward, but unless we find a system to defend its not going to matter
  • We’re definitely quick to get on managers backs. Tough on for the FA because results under Southgate have been generally good but he’s so defensive and performances are getting worse. We have a good squad with some outstanding attacking players and you just feel someone like him isn’t going to make the most of it. 
  • Apparently Reece James was sent off after the final whistle as well. That ref's had a fun one
  • Sponsored links:

• Apparently Reece James was sent off after the final whistle as well. That ref's had a fun one
    Looked like he gave the referee no choice there judging by Hendersons (too late) reaction, talked his way into a red card
  • We’re definitely quick to get on managers backs. Tough on for the FA because results under Southgate have been generally good but he’s so defensive and performances are getting worse. We have a good squad with some outstanding attacking players and you just feel someone like him isn’t going to make the most of it. 
    Two questions:

(1) Who is out there that is better than Southgate and we're confident they can do it on the International stage?

Getting a squad organised when you barely see them isnt as easy as club management when you get to work with the players every day

I read a lot of comments about Wenger but are we sure he's not another Capello and that we'll end up going backwards again

(2) Does a new Manager resolve the squad deficiencies that we're currently experiencing?

We're lacking at the back, THATS the problem we dont have Seaman | Ferdinand | Terry | Neville | Cole | Campbell to call upon anymore

Can the new man make us stronger at the back as under GS we know we can score goals and we dont want to lose that

e.g. Is Southgate the issue or is it the players that he's got at his disposal the true issue as changing Manager wont fix it
  • Laddick01 said:
    Think the issue continues to boil down to the performance against the Netherlands last summer

That game showed our deficiencies in defence and Southgate has been unable to find a group of defenders to fix that problem

Until that does get sorted (Reece James at Right-Back is one of them for me), he has to play with two CDMs else there is a good chance that come the bigger games we'll be losing them 4-3 at best as whilst we're great going forward, missed Sterling's pace tonight, we're still so suspect at the back - I mean how many times did Denmark look wasteful in front of goal?

Doesnt matter who we have going forward; Mount | Grealish | Kane | Calvert-Lewin | Sancho | Rashford | Sterling etc.

After all we've long proven, especially in the last qualifying campaign, that we can thrash teams by setting up right going forward, but unless we find a system to defend its not going to matter
    To me, Southgate is in a great position. He has arguably the most potent attack (on paper) in international football. England fans recognise we don't have a great squad, simply good attackers.

All he has to do to garner any support is play attacking football in a system that supports that. Yet he does the opposite. We play 3 CB's, when we don't even have 1 World Class level CB in our squad; we play 2 DMs when we have none of international standard (Not counting Henderson as he gets forward a bit.)

The final straw for many is the Grealish situation. He's such a good footballer, makes things happen and plays with a swagger that you rarely see from English players. He's literally the reason Villa are a Premier League club.

Southgate favours a vastly less experienced Mount or even DCL at this stage as a winger over him.

It's the mark of a manager completely out of his depth, and unless we somehow fluke our way to another Semi Final at the Euro's I can't see any way he keeps his job past this summer.
    WELL SAID THAT MAN!
  • edited October 2020
    We’re definitely quick to get on managers backs. Tough on for the FA because results under Southgate have been generally good but he’s so defensive and performances are getting worse. We have a good squad with some outstanding attacking players and you just feel someone like him isn’t going to make the most of it. 
    Two questions:

(1) Who is out there that is better than Southgate and we're confident they can do it on the International stage?

Getting a squad organised when you barely see them isnt as easy as club management when you get to work with the players every day

I read a lot of comments about Wenger but are we sure he's not another Capello and that we'll end up going backwards again

(2) Does a new Manager resolve the squad deficiencies that we're currently experiencing?

We're lacking at the back, THATS the problem we dont have Seaman | Ferdinand | Terry | Neville | Cole | Campbell to call upon anymore

Can the new man make us stronger at the back as under GS we know we can score goals and we dont want to lose that

e.g. Is Southgate the issue or is it the players that he's got at his disposal the true issue as changing Manager wont fix it
    1. Poch? I’ve also heard that Steve Holland is excellent and perhaps his team selection may differ from Southgate, even tho he’s part of the setup. It worked for Germany and Joachim Low.

2. Play to your strengths or at least find a balance. Play in form players. 

We do make a lot of individual errors at the back and that is hard to pinpoint on GS. But, when the main thought is to defend, it almost sets an overthinking mentality rather than any fluidity and errors creep in.
  • Grealish was excellent against Wales , but ignored in the last two games  . Doesn't make sense .
  • edited October 2020
    If you have deficiencies in defence and excellent offensive players, you surely play to your strengths. 

Mount is ok for me, Rice and Dier should be nowhere near our international side. Grealish should be starting and Southgate should be sacked for not appreciating that because a three year old would probably work that out!
    Two questions:

1. Poch? I’ve also heard that Steve Holland is excellent and perhaps his team selection may differ from Southgate, even tho he’s part of the setup. It worked for Germany and Joachim Low.

We do make a lot of individual errors at the back and that is hard to pinpoint on GS. But, when the main thought is to defend, it almost sets an overthinking mentality rather than any fluidity and errors creep in.
    I like your suggestion of Steve Holland as again the International Manager isnt the same as the club one where they're having to make the right signings etc

I also get though why its not always a case of playing form players - Certainly need some consistency within the squad else there is nothing to gel into a cohesive unit that is used to playing with each other

But then Southgate needs to learn that balance as he drops some players for form but not others which stupidly leaves him open for easy criticism 
  • Laddick01 said:
    Think the issue continues to boil down to the performance against the Netherlands last summer

To me, Southgate is in a great position. He has arguably the most potent attack (on paper) in international football. England fans recognise we don't have a great squad, simply good attackers.

All he has to do to garner any support is play attacking football in a system that supports that. Yet he does the opposite. We play 3 CB's, when we don't even have 1 World Class level CB in our squad; we play 2 DMs when we have none of international standard (Not counting Henderson as he gets forward a bit.)

The final straw for many is the Grealish situation. He's such a good footballer, makes things happen and plays with a swagger that you rarely see from English players. He's literally the reason Villa are a Premier League club.

Southgate favours a vastly less experienced Mount or even DCL at this stage as a winger over him.

It's the mark of a manager completely out of his depth, and unless we somehow fluke our way to another Semi Final at the Euro's I can't see any way he keeps his job past this summer.
    The 3 CB's i can sort of understand because we don't really have any decent ones, so there's a need to play 3 because 2 will get taken apart. 

The problem is then playing 2 DMs as well, which then means we have 7 defensive players in the side. Away to France or Germany i'd understand it. At home to Denmark there is no need to be so negative.

• edited October 2020
    We’re definitely quick to get on managers backs. Tough on for the FA because results under Southgate have been generally good but he’s so defensive and performances are getting worse. We have a good squad with some outstanding attacking players and you just feel someone like him isn’t going to make the most of it. 
    Two questions:

I like your suggestion of Steve Holland as again the International Manager isnt the same as the club one where they're having to make the right signings etc

I also get though why its not always a case of playing form players - Certainly need some consistency within the squad else there is nothing to gel into a cohesive unit that is used to playing with each other

But then Southgate needs to learn that balance as he drops some players for form but not others which stupidly leaves him open for easy criticism 
    I think you have to have a spine of a team, which with Pickford, Henderson, Kane, we are almost there. Walker should definitely play in a back 3 and Chillwell and TAA/James out wide defensively. Then around that, especially the two wingers you play form. Sterling would have to be well out of form to not be in contention. But Rashford today should have been nowhere near starting. I think Southgate should be made to explain Grealish sitting on the bench for 180 minutes in two competive games.

With Charlton I tend to have a lot more patience has managers and players have their limitations. But with England I get really pissed off with the same mistakes, the same negative tactics and poor selection. It’s meant to be the best of the best.
  • Sponsored links:

• Laddick01 said:

The 3 CB's i can sort of understand because we don't really have any decent ones, so there's a need to play 3 because 2 will get taken apart. 

The problem is then playing 2 DMs as well, which then means we have 7 defensive players in the side. Away to France or Germany i'd understand it. At home to Denmark there is no need to be so negative.

I get the thinking, but honestly I think the best way to relieve pressure at the back is to go even more attacking. The opponent cant score if we're knocking it about in their third. The 3rd CB if anything means play is dictated at the back even more.

I think we will be weak at the back regardless, might as well have a go and score a few rather than recreating performances like that.
  • edited October 2020
    Two questions:

Two very good questions. 

1 - I’d happily go for Wenger or Pochettino. But the question is valid and there isn’t an easy answer. However, not knowing if someone else is going to do better isn’t enough to keep a manager you want rid of (I’m not actually saying I definitely want Southgate out). 

2 - the squad is clearly unbalanced, wholeheartedly agree. Some great attacking players and weak defensively. But I still feel Southgate is piling pressure on the team with his tactics. He’s going way too defensive. 
    We may lack world class quality in some areas, but we’re still far better then the majority of the teams we play against. He doesn’t at the moment seem to be able to differentiate when we should be dominating games against far weaker teams and when it’s acceptable to admit you won’t dominate. So in my opinion it’s just coming across that he really is that defensive. And that is not acceptable because it’s going to waste the attacking talent we have, the best part of the squad. 
    Two questions:

I think you have to have a spine of a team, which with Pickford, Henderson, Kane, we are almost there. Walker should definitely play in a back 3 and Chillwell and TAA/James out wide defensively. Then around that, especially the two wingers you play form. Sterling would have to be well out of form to not be in contention. But Rashford today should have been nowhere near starting. I think Southgate should be made to explain Grealish sitting on the bench for 180 minutes in two competive games.
    Not sure we need an explanation. Common sense tells us Grealish must have ran over Southgate's cat.
  • Southgate 'Proud of the performance.'

This stuff writes itself.
  • edited October 2020
    Look, Southgate is as safe as houses. He will lose the fans, maybe he has already lost most of them, but the FA will think it is best to stick with him. And they will. look at Hodgson. How many chances did he get with the same result every time? 

England have some terrific players. I do not understand loyalty to managers being the recipe for success. Ranieri pulled off one of the greatest managerial achievements ever in his first season, then he started failing and he was sacked. Leicester hasn't suffered for that approach. 
  • 7 defenders against denmark at home -  southgate, get your coat 
  • Maguires second booking wasn't even a foul

Southgate is doing thennot entirely stupid thing of setting up not to lose. I think he's persisting with the wrong players in the wrong positions personally as many others have state

If players like Grealish and Sancho are fit you play them. Rashford doesn't suit the way we play to be honest, Grealish and Sancho run with the ball, always want it, and make good use of it. I'm unconvinced last few times I've seen Declan Rice that he is intelligent enough to be an international footballer, he has bundles of guts but so so naive in his positioning and use of the ball. 

Phillips from Leeds deserved his chances recently and can feel aggrieved if he is dropped now 

• Gareth Southgate on not using Jack Grealish: "We had to go with speed & athleticism in wide areas because you've gotta put in a real shift (with 10 men) without the ball. Mason & Marcus did that well."

Has this bloke ever seen Grealish play? Plus Rashford was fucking terrible.

He clearly has some kind of agenda against Grealish.
  • Rashford was lazy as fuck.

Hes simply lying now to justify his decisions. A manager under pressure.
  • #Southgateout- he has to go. Said it after lucky Iceland win and Denmark bore draw. Somehow we beat Belgium but shown up tonight. He is simply nowhere near what we need. His selection is awful. Walker, Pickford., Dier, Rice, Phillips, Mount. Seriously...