Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Squad (v Republic of Ireland/Belgium/Iceland from p29)

Comments

• Options
    Maguire now technically innocent again under Greek law until the appeal happens. 

Does that mean he's back in?  ;)
  • Options
    Maguire now technically innocent again under Greek law until the appeal happens. 

Does that mean he's back in?  ;)
    United seem to believe Maguire and think it’ll be overturned.

Chris Hughes, who was in Love Island and works for ITV Racing was out there at the the time and he is being very vocal on twitter saying it’s a complete stitch up. 

• Options
    supaclive said:
    Grealish's stats don't lie

Most fouled player
    Most distance carried with the ball

We need a central midfielder  who can carry the ball and haven't had one since a young Jack Wilshire.

Pope
    Trent
    Gomez
    McGuire (when not in prison)
    Chilwell (when fit)

Rice
    Foden
    Grealish

Sterling
    Kane
    Sancho

Rashford
    Greenwood
    Mount all pushing to start

Glad Barclay has been dropped.

Not dropped. Southgate said he left him out due to injury.

I'm still baffled as to how Ward-Prowse gets in the squad
    Ward-Prowse gets in because he's had an excellent season and he's a direct replacement for Jordan Henderson. The England team plays with a midfield where they have a defensive shield, normally Rice or Dier, a shuttler who ties everything together in Henderson or Winks, and a more creative 8 like Mount or Oxlade-Chamberlain who is also able to shift some donkey work when needed. Ward-Prowse plays for a team who obsessively press, he's good at recycling possession and he's ended the season in very good form conducting Southampton's midfield. Southgate has a way of playing and WP fits that perfectly while Henderson is out.
    Ward-Prowse has been a regular for Southampton for years, if he was that good surely a bigger club would've come in for him by now. You don't even see him linked with anyone. I'm not saying he's a bad player as he's obviously ok, i just don't believe he's international quality.
    This has very much been his breakthrough season for Saints. Previously he's always been in and around the squad but he's been very inconsistent and has made a lot of appearances as a sub. Last season for instance he played 26 PL games, 21 of which he started. The season before that he made 30 appearances, 20 of them starts. This season he didn't miss a minute of PL football. 38 appearances, all for 90 mins, and after the lockdown he was captain for all those appearances. He almost doubled his on-pitch minutes this season compared to last. He's not a genius by any stretch but he's worked on his game this season and has become reliable in possession, can dictate play a lot more and has fantastic crossing and set piece delivery. I would have thought this season would have been the one where bigger teams might sniff around, but Saints just tied him down with a 5 year contract about a week ago so that's out the window.
    When it comes to international quality, it's less about how brilliant you are and more about whether you're more brilliant than the people around you. In terms of filling in for Henderson there's not really another English midfielder better than WP to fill that role on current form
    My manager is a Southampton season ticket holder and has be banging on about Ward-Prowse for a couple of years. From what I heard he needed to be a bit more physical - since lockdown he has apparently stepped that part of his game up and taken on the captaincy. 
  • Options
    Stanley Matthews in his autobiography railed against the England practice of picking the players in form rather than having some kind of consistency by using a group of talented players and sticking with them for a while.
  • Options
    Stanley Matthews in his autobiography railed against the England practice of picking the players in form rather than having some kind of consistency by using a group of talented players and sticking with them for a while.
    Thats how I felt the England squad suffered at the time of the Golden Generation with it coming to the fore @ the 2010 World Cup

Players were selected too often on their reputation with other potential kids not given the opportunities so we lost out - 2010 World Cup was a perfect example because Joe Hart had just come off the back of a storming loan spell at Birmingham felt he was our best 'keeper yet Capello went for Green and then David James

By the time that competition came around that "amazing" generation was getting too old yet Managers would still persist with it, hence our abject failure against a young German team
  • Options
    8 Chelsea players are in quarantine, including Mount and Abraham. Surely they'd have to pull out of the England squad?
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53941208

Something seems really off with all of this. Based purely on nothing but a gut feel but feels like the local police and officials are as bent as FIFA here 
  • Options

Something seems really off with all of this. Based purely on nothing but a gut feel but feels like the local police and officials are as bent as FIFA here 
    Wonder what story the minibus driver had

Surely he could confirm what Harry Maguire said was true or not? 
  • Options

Wonder what story the minibus driver had

Surely he could confirm what Harry Maguire said was true or not? 
    Depends.  If the police are corrupt for example, you think the minibus driver will want to be the one to stand up to it?

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Football was a different game when Matthews was about. But it is always a bit of both. You will have core established players and players fighting for their places. I think the manager has to make a judgement on each player and we are not going to agree with every one. Looking back, a player like Le Tissier had too much pressure on him every game when he should have been given a run of games.

Also England teams have to be flexible to maximise the games of new players as far as possible. When you have established players, this may not happen. An example is where Bent got picked. He had a specific game which could have been successful at international level but the England team didn't play to it at all and he had to change which defeated the object of picking him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Conor Coady been called up to the England squad along with Ashley Maitland-Niles
  • Options
    Would of called up Saka over ANM
  • Options
    Still no Grealish? Genuinely a bit weird now. 
  • Options
    AMN has been consistently good last few seasons and also offers the flexibility of playing in 4 or 5 positions. Saka should definitely be in the squad over trippier, even more so when chilwell is out.
  • Options
    centreback is a real issue for England, Gomez is a shoe in but who do you play with him? Don’t rate Maguire and stones has been off it for about 2 years.
  • Options
    alicwkd said:
    Still no Grealish? Genuinely a bit weird now. 
    Why would he call up a Midfielder when its Defenders that we needed?

Someone had to replace Maguire and we needed a Left-Back
  • Options
    Ridiculous to suggest we would of been ‘embarrassed’

If England have a fully fit squad then the starting XI maybe apart from possibly 1 or 2 midfielders picks itself.
    Agreed. If Southgate has a fully fit squad then in my opinion:

Pickford/Henderson
    TAA
    Gomez
    Maguire
    Chilwell
    Rice
    Henderson
    Foden
    Sancho/Rashford
    Sterling 
    Kane

Probably pick themselves.

That side is good enough (on paper at least) to surely reach the Euro semi finals.
  • Options

If England have a fully fit squad then the starting XI maybe apart from possibly 1 or 2 midfielders picks itself.

Pickford/Henderson
    TAA
    Gomez
    Maguire
    Chilwell
    Rice
    Henderson
    Foden
    Sancho/Rashford
    Sterling 
    Kane

That side is good enough (on paper at least) to surely reach the Euro semi finals.
    With good coaching sure. 

That remains to be seen. 
  • Options
    Grealish finally called up after Rashford drops out
  • Options
    Grealish finally called up after Rashford drops out
    Winks out as well. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Pickford/Henderson
    TAA
    Gomez
    Maguire
    Chilwell
    Rice
    Henderson
    Foden
    Sancho/Rashford
    Sterling 
    Kane

Pickford will probably play but he's been pretty poor for Everton this year.

Henderson and Pope have been much better.
  • Options
    If I was Grealish I'd tell Southgate to piss off. 
  • Options
    Why? That's a very good way to make sure you don't get an England call up again for the foreseeable future. Southgate said Grealish is behind Sterling, Rashford, Sancho and Greenwood for a place on the wing. One pulls out and he gets a call up. What kind of professional throws his toys out of the pram because he's behind some other players and now might get a chance to prove he can play in that role?
  • Options
    Why? That's a very good way to make sure you don't get an England call up again for the foreseeable future. Southgate said Grealish is behind Sterling, Rashford, Sancho and Greenwood for a place on the wing. One pulls out and he gets a call up. What kind of professional throws his toys out of the pram because he's behind some other players and now might get a chance to prove he can play in that role?
    He could always play a few friendlies for Ireland and the switch to playing for England. 
  • Options
    Wonder if the Nations League counts as a friendly only anymore in respect of players switching countries?

Give that it is a friendly of sorts but counts towards qualifying.
  • Options

Goalkeepers: Jordan Pickford (Everton), Nick Pope (Burnley), Dean Henderson (Manchester United)

Defenders: Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Ben Chilwell (Chelsea), Conor Coady (Wolves), Eric Dier (Tottenham), Joe Gomez (Liverpool), Michael Keane (Everton), Harry Maguire (Manchester United), Ainsley Maitland-Niles (Arsenal), Tyrone Mings (Aston Villa), Bukayo Saka (Arsenal), Kieran Trippier (Atletico Madrid), Kyle Walker (Manchester City)

Midfielders: Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Mason Mount (Chelsea), Kalvin Phillips (Leeds), Declan Rice (West Ham), James Ward-Prowse (Southampton), Harry Winks (Tottenham)

Forwards: Tammy Abraham (Chelsea), Harvey Barnes (Leicester), Dominic Calvert-Lewin (Everton), Jack Greilish (Aston Villa), Danny Ings (Southampton), Harry Kane (Tottenham), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United), Jadon Sancho (Borussia Dortmund), Raheem Sterling (Manchester City)

• Options
    I know some of the forwards are actually midfielders but it seems strange to look at a squad list with 12 defenders and only 6 midfielders
  • Options
    It was a comment made because Southgate has a clear blind spot towards the player. I wouldn't advise him to say that really, but certainly think it. Of the players Southgate has picked in midfield, the only one I would definitely pencil in before Grealish would be Henderson. Mount maybe. 
  • Options
    No Foden and Greenwood then.

Surely sending them home before the last game was punishment enough? They're only kids, just move on. We should be wanting to win games with our strongest available team/squad, not trying to prove a point to a couple of kids.

Greenwood i get should probably move back to the U21s anyway, but Foden should be in the team or at least on the bench.
  • Options
    There is some absolute shite in that squad