Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Athletics Thread

Comments

• Options
    Dina Asher-Smith a disappointing 8th in the 100 metre final.  However, her PB would not have been good enough for a medal on this occasion. 
    Dina didn't look good in the semi, did she? Not sure why, but wasn't expecting a medal after that, unfortunately. Not sure when he PB was, but it puts it in perspective even if she ran it
    She said she couldn't feel her legs in the semi final so .....
    I like and respect Dina but there is an increasing list of 'reasons'. She'd have to had to run a PB to get a medal. Not sure how much faster she's have to have run than her SB

Not being being able to 'feel your legs' when running seems odd and potentially serious
    I know what you mean and I've noticed my feelings have changed towards her since last year. I've started to feel like there is a bit too much drama, a bit too often with her for my liking. Like the 2021 olympics injury when she was hot favourite for 100m and 200m and she under performed in the 100m due to an injury she had been secretly carrying. Then the 2022 World's in Eugene pulling up in the relay costing the women a medal for sure. I think there was another big race where she pulled up with cramp too.

I feel bad for being critical because she seems lovely. But whether I'm right or wrong 2019 Doha was where she was setting PBs and that seems a long time ago now. 

Sadly she seems past her best now at just 27. But lets hope I'm wrong and she smashes the 200m!
  • Options
    A friend’s daughter, Isabelle Boffey, is the third British runner in the GBR team for the 800m. Keely Hodgkinson is obviously a strong favourite to win the final but will be rooting for Issy in the first round heats on Wednesday.

Issy’s PB is 20th fastest out of the 41 runners in the heats so a tough ask for her to get through the heats to the final. However, it is only 0.7 seconds slower than the PB of the 8th fastest, so who knows!
    A real shame. Issy came sixth in the last heat, a couple of seconds slower than her PB. Whatever, did well to reach this level and her family are hugely proud of her. Achieved gold at the European Championships at under 18, under 20 and under 23. Keely Hodgkinson is 2 years younger and obviously going on to win medals at a higher level.
  • Options
    A friend’s daughter, Isabelle Boffey, is the third British runner in the GBR team for the 800m. Keely Hodgkinson is obviously a strong favourite to win the final but will be rooting for Issy in the first round heats on Wednesday.

Issy’s PB is 20th fastest out of the 41 runners in the heats so a tough ask for her to get through the heats to the final. However, it is only 0.7 seconds slower than the PB of the 8th fastest, so who knows!
    A real shame. Issy came sixth in the last heat, a couple of seconds slower than her PB. Whatever, did well to reach this level and her family are hugely proud of her. Achieved gold at the European Championships at under 18, under 20 and under 23. Keely Hodgkinson is 2 years younger and obviously going on to win medals at a higher level.
    I noticed the winners of all seven heats did 1:59 something.  Issy's PB would've probably seen her through - very fine margins. 
  • Options
    Yes. She was third 300 metres from home and normally has a strong finish but said in her post-race interview she completely lost her legs and doesn’t know what happened. It’s a tough sport with lots of ups and downs.
  • Options
    Josh Kerr get in there!!!
  • Options
    Well done Josh Kerr, what a run.
  • Options
    You could literally see the belief drain out of Ingebrigtsen's face.

• Options
    You could literally see the belief drain out of Ingebrigtsen's face.

Why did Ingebrigtson not even look like he was trying for that extra in the home straight?

Shrek didn't like him when he saw him trying to involve the crowd when qualifying in a previous round - too over confident? Again?
  • Options
    Mega mega run from Josh Kerr. We have certainly got some history in the 1500m!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Agreeing to share a gold, what sort of sport is that? Weird.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Bloody sensible if you ask me.
    Would you like a gold medal or carry on jumping and maybe get a silver instead.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Bloody sensible if you ask me.
    Would you like a gold medal or carry on jumping and maybe get a silver instead.
    Agreed. I remember the high jumpers doing it in the Olympics and thought I’d do the same in their position. 
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Fantastic last 200 from Kerr, was proper jumping off my seat. The footage of Denise Lewis afterwards was brilliant.

never liked Ingebrigtsen, seems really arrogant. Said he had a sore throat. He nearly got pipped on the line but a lad who is trained by Jakob’s dad
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Stig said:
     -
  • Options
    Hal1x said:
    If everyone agreed before starting a final that it would be best just to share gold medals, that could be bloody sensible too, and avoid all that unnecessary exertion, sweating and stress! In fact we needn't go to the expense of holding the actual games, and just distribute the medals to everyone who wanted them. I'll have a Olympic gold medal in solo synchronised swimming ta!
    Sleep on it did you…
  • Options
    I imagine it's quite rare in a field event where the top two have exactly the same records, so this sort of scenario will always be rare. It feels a bit of a copout though.
  • Options
    Camaraderie in pole jump always seems so much more than in other events, not surprised they chose to share it.  
  • Options
    Should have been threat of a shared silver rather than gold to get their arses in gear.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thought Matthew Hudson-Smith did everything he could in the 400 Metre final, he just couldn't stop Antonio Watson from pipping him to the line in a winning time of 44.22.  Hudson-Smith's time 44.31 just shy of the 44.26 European record he achieved in the semi final.
  • Options
    Really looking forward to seeing Hughes in the 200 tonight, he's only the 2nd Brit to go sub 10 and sub 20 and he's just done both in the same meeting. It would take something special for him to win but we could see the European record go
  • Options
    I think Lyle would need to break down for Hughes to beat him but he’s got a chance of a medal for sure. 
  • Options
    Camaraderie in pole jump always seems so much more than in other events, not surprised they chose to share it.  

Isn't he the Italian lad who played in Del Boy's school football team.
  • Options
    That run from Bol could be the greatest anchor leg I've ever seen. Truly remarkable
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    rina said:
    That run from Bol could be the greatest anchor leg I've ever seen. Truly remarkable
    Great run but the Jamaican blew it by striking out so fast when already clear in the lead. Ran it like a 200m 
  • Options
    Seemed like that was the Jamaican tactic throughout that race
  • Options
    Where was Hudson-Smith in the 4 x 400?
    2 great bronzes. V impressive run by Femke Bol.

---

MHS was still struggling with injury. The one he has been carrying all year apparently. Hopefully he gets fully fit for the Olympics next year.