Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Athletics Thread

Comments

• Options

February 2011 Mo Farah begins training with Salazar. Soon after, he misses a drugs test after testers rang his doorbell for an hour. In September, he wins two golds at the World Championships.

Winter 2011 Salazar trials an infusion of L-carnitine that is above World Anti-Doping Agency limits. He emails Lance Armstrong saying: “Lance, call me asap! We have tested it and it’s amazing!” He arranges for some NOP athletes to receive L-carnitine treatment. The amounts are not recorded by Dr Jeffrey Brown or Salazar, who maintain they were less than legal limit of 50ml.

April 2014 Farah receives a transfusion of L-carnitine before the London Marathon. Dr Rob Chakraverty, who administered it but did not properly record it, said it was under the legal limit.

June 2015 After media allegations against Salazar, which he denies, Farah says his name is being “dragged through the mud”.

February 2017 The Sunday Times reveals that a 2016 Usada report shows Salazar gave Farah prescription drugs with potentially harmful side-effects. Farah retorts: “I am a clean athlete.”

July 2017 Hackers’ leaked documents show Farah as “likely doping” on IAAF biological passport list in November 2015. He is “flagged as normal” in April 2016. A spokesman for Farah says: “Any suggestion of misconduct is entirely false.”

October 2017 Farah cuts ties with Salazar.

September 30, 2019 After hearings into the doping case in summer 2018, Salazar and
    Dr Brown are banned from the sport with immediate effect.

An "unfortunate" series of  events for Farrah. However, had he cut his ties with Salazar after seven months instead of seven years then he would not have been under such scrutiny.

Obviously a lot of that doesn't read well for him but........he was winning gold medals, breaking records and was named British athlete of the year BEFORE he went to work with Salazar. 
  • Options
    Well done Dina,
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    I wonder if its time to put the onus on the athletes themselves to prove themselves clean.

Instead of random hit and miss tests, let them know in advance when clinics are being held.  You want to appear in the following competitions?  Then present yourself at the following clinics on the dates stated, failure to comply means that you are excluded from the competition.  All results to be published.

I
  • Options
    Hard work getting back from football and having to catch up with 9hrs athletics!!
  • Options
    Dina is pretty amazing - world champion and first class honours degree. She has the lot!
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    KJT extended her lead in the heptahlon with 2 events to go.
    Mind you I think the javelin (next event) is her worst event.
  • Options
    Seeing Dina earlier getting her medal on the podium singing the national anthem made me quite emotional.
    Been watching the heptaphlon and really enjoying it. I didnt realise the athletes had so much time sitting about between rounds and events. It must be hard to keep concentration and focused but looks like KJT should win it now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Quality gold for KJT just missing out on 7000 points
  • Options
    That was just an immense performance from KJT. only 3 events she didn't pb in and she won all of those
  • Options
    Bless her cotton socks ! 

Here come the girls ! 

Will any of our male competitors  win a medal ? 
  • Options
    Watched some of it earlier. Obviously massive congrats to Johnson-Thompson.......but did anyone see the British female shot putter...??   I know being a shot putter means you arent going to be as slim as the aforementioned Heptathalete, but she wouldn't look out of place in Viz.
  • Options
    Brilliant performance by KJT, it all came good for her this week
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Delighted for KJT.

Those 3 no jumps in the long jump a few years back could have destroyed a lesser competitor.

Tonight she has been rewarded deservedly for her talent, grit and persistence.

I hope she can continue in the same vein in Tokyo next year.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    Delighted for KJT.

Those 3 no jumps in the long jump a few years back could have destroyed a lesser competitor.

Tonight she has been rewarded deservedly for her talent, grit and persistence.

I hope she can continue in the same vein in Tokyo next year.
    it was those 3 no jumps that showed she would win global titles. She had the option of putting in a safe 3rd jump and locking up the bronze but she didn't want to settle for that, she went all in with that last attempt knowing it was gold or nothing
  • Options
    Stupidly had a 1/4 bet on Miller Uibo in the 400. Thought she was a shoe in. She runs a national record and still gets done with one of the best runs of all time
  • Options
    That was an amazing performance. Don’t think winner ever thought they could run that fast. Only the two Eastern Block runners of the 80’s have run faster. 
  • Options
    Great silvers in the 100 metres relays, couldn't have done any better considering the opposition. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Slightly worried by Sifan Hassan's sweary meltdown after her incredible time in the 1500.  Part of the Oregon project and clean, proved (she says) by running so fast?  The lady protesteth too much I think.   Michael Johnson not impressed.  
  • Options
    Look how Farah improved, look how Hassan, Klasterhalfen and Brazier have stepped up their performance. Just need Engels to clean up the 1500 tomorrow.

They’re either the greatest coaching camp in the world or something stinks there. 
  • Options
    Look how Farah improved, look how Hassan, Klasterhalfen and Brazier have stepped up their performance. Just need Engels to clean up the 1500 tomorrow.

They’re either the greatest coaching camp in the world or something stinks there. 
    It’s almost like you’re suggesting it wasn’t just the QUORN diet that did it ?!?
  • Options
    Callum Hawkins currently putting in one of the all time great performances by a British athlete
  • Options
    Slightly worried by Sifan Hassan's sweary meltdown after her incredible time in the 1500.  Part of the Oregon project and clean, proved (she says) by running so fast?  The lady protesteth too much I think.   Michael Johnson not impressed.  
    Yes running ridiculously fast like that and from the front was almost too good for her own sake...
  • Options
    Great effort by Callum Hawkins; gutted for him to miss out on a medal. Where is Mo Farrah, different priorities?
  • Options

Yes Farah improved but it's worth pointing out he was already breaking records and winning gold medals BEFORE he moved to Salazar's camp.
  • Options
    And Hassan was also world class. But to then find another gear completely is significant. 
  • Options
    The Hassan interview and Johnson's reaction.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/49948731
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Very impressive run from Jacob Ingebrigtsen in the 3000m at the indoor Euros there. He's barely out breath at the end, the rest of the field's strewn all over the track blowing out their backside.

British men need to get their act together as been singularly unimpressive so far.