Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Athletics Thread

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2022
    Jake Wightman wins gold in the World Championship 1500 metres held in Oregon .. the first Brit since Steve Cram in 1983 to win this classic distance .. super run and well worth a watch .. 

World Athletics Championships: Britain's Jake Wightman wins 1500m gold - BBC Sport
  • Options
    Zharnel Hughes improves his personal best by a massive 8 hundredths and runs 9.83 to break Linford Christie’s UK record of 30 years 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Zharnel Hughes improves his personal best by a massive 8 hundredths and runs 9.83 to break Linford Christie’s UK record of 30 years 
    Also the fastest in the world this year
  • Options
    Seems a very large improvement 
  • Options
    Even I could come close to that!
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    He's British so just a natural improvement. If he was a foreigner then he's drugged up to the eyeballs.
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    MrOneLung said:
    He's British so just a natural improvement. If he was a foreigner then he's drugged up to the eyeballs.
    He was born in The Valley.

Anguilla.
  • Options
    Quite emotional watching Katarina Johnson-Thompson win gold in the Heptathlon.
    So impressive. Whoever wins these multi-discipline events suffers so much for the medal. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Really couldn’t see that coming, thought KJT just wasn’t mentally strong enough to get herself back competing in big championships. So pleased for her, that 800 run was incredibly gritty.

Anyone see yesterday’s finale? With Hassan and Bol, that was probably the most exciting athletics I’ve seen since Super Saturday. 
  • Options
    Athletics has been falling down the ladder alarmingly quickly in this country, so to secure a gold, silver and bronze already is fantastic 
  • Options
    Really couldn’t see that coming, thought KJT just wasn’t mentally strong enough to get herself back competing in big championships. So pleased for her, that 800 run was incredibly gritty.

Anyone see yesterday’s finale? With Hassan and Bol, that was probably the most exciting athletics I’ve seen since Super Saturday. 
    Yes it was pretty extraordinary. You often see athletes fall over the line but for it to happen before the line, in 2 consecutive races, to two Dutch athletes! I can't recall anything like that. Hopefully it's all setup for an exciting week. 
  • Options
    Felt so sorry the Dutch girl in the relay that fell over just before the line 
  • Options
    Heard her interview afterwards, she obviously landed on her larynx! Joking aside, it was like nothing I've seen before, but should be a great week
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Delighted for Katarina. Well deserved after all the traumas she has suffered throughout her career. Hope she can stay fit and healthy to have a proper stab at the Olympics next year.

Back to these World Championships I hope Keely Hodgkinson can somehow get the 800 metres gold but fear Mu and the Kenyan (whose name escapes me at the moment) will be too good.

EDIT: Mary Moraa is The Kenyan referred to above.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Is the Athletics on tv during the day on weekdays? Can only see the evening session on BBC2
  • Options
    Think it's on from 5.30 pm to 9pm, switching between BBC2 & BBC1 from memory. 
  • Options
    The games timetable clearly laid out here - shows starters, heats, PBs, SBs and is in local time which is one hour ahead.  Women's 100 metres semi final and final tonight.  Daryll Neita in heat one, Dina Asher-Smith heat three - hopefully they'll both get through. 

https://worldathletics.org/competitions/world-athletics-championships/budapest23/timetable
  • Options
    The games timetable clearly laid out here - shows starters, heats, PBs, SBs and is in local time which is one hour ahead.  Women's 100 metres semi final and final tonight.  Daryll Neita in heat one, Dina Asher-Smith heat three - hopefully they'll both get through. 

https://worldathletics.org/competitions/world-athletics-championships/budapest23/timetable
    Shame not be able to watch the morning session, but the main stuff is all in the evenings and at the weekend, which is shown
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dina Asher-Smith a disappointing 8th in the 100 metre final.  However, her PB would not have been good enough for a medal on this occasion. 
  • Options
    Dina Asher-Smith a disappointing 8th in the 100 metre final.  However, her PB would not have been good enough for a medal on this occasion. 
    Dina didn't look good in the semi, did she? Not sure why, but wasn't expecting a medal after that, unfortunately. Not sure when he PB was, but it puts it in perspective even if she ran it
  • Options
    Dina didn't look good in the semi, did she? Not sure why, but wasn't expecting a medal after that, unfortunately. Not sure when he PB was, but it puts it in perspective even if she ran it
    She said she couldn't feel her legs in the semi final so .....
  • Options
    She said she couldn't feel her legs in the semi final so .....
    I like and respect Dina but there is an increasing list of 'reasons'. She'd have to had to run a PB to get a medal. Not sure how much faster she's have to have run than her SB

Not being being able to 'feel your legs' when running seems odd and potentially serious
  • Options
    I can’t see my legs but I can still feel them. 

Must be hard being so close to be being the best and then just falling short. Suspect Laura Muir is about to feel the same as it’s time now for the Kipyegon / Hassan battle 
  • Options
    Highlight must be Hudson-Smith winning his 400M semi final in a European record - one that has stood for 35 years.  Favourite for gold Steven Gardiner pulls up in the next semi.   
  • Options
    Highlight must be Hudson-Smith winning his 400M semi final in a European record - one that has stood for 35 years.  Favourite for gold Steven Gardiner pulls up in the next semi.   
    A great run - didn't tie up at the end.
  • Options
    Let's hope MHS can carry that form into the final. Gold seems up for grabs now Gardiner is out. James and Van Niekerk look past their best.
  • Options
    Kips said:
    Let's hope MHS can carry that form into the final. Gold seems up for grabs now Gardiner is out. James and Van Niekerk look past their best.
    Will be hard for him to repeat that time in the final but he has to be in medal contention.