Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Steven Gerrard - new Rangers manager

Comments

• Options
    JamesSeed said:

I don’t know if he has the right sort of personality to be a successful manager. He always comes across as quite quiet, and a bit shy in interviews.

The infamous don't let this slip huddle says otherwise imo.

Crazy move for both him and Rangers, they need a slow, methodical rebuild from someone who has done it successfullly before - instead they take the easy option of a big name.

Absolutely, but who is the person to do that? Bare in mind who has turned them down.
  • Options

DA9 said:

Take a look at the Rangers forums - they are wetting themselves with excitement over his appointment - I may be wrong, however I can't see this going well - the gulf in class between them and Celtic at the weekend was enormous - and as I understand matters, Rangers haven't exactly got a bottomless pit of money to buy new players with - he may be a big name, however players won't go and play for him in Scottish football just because of that - they will want their ££££££'s as well

Well you clearly know something that the board haven’t told Gerrard during their 2-3 week negotiations, please enlighten us?
    Gerrard, his agent & Mcallister would have wanted cast iron guarantees regards investment before signing on the dotted line no doubt. So, unless they’ve been lied too, I’ll trust Gerard’s judgement.

In regards to the gulf in class, accepted, but that’s why they brought him in, to start trying to bridge that gulf, it wont happen next season, but they have to start somewhere, damned if they do, damned if they don’t, if they had brought in Karl Robinson, people would be shouting no ambition or small time etc
    And boards of football clubs are so honest aren't they
    If you don’t support or follow rangers fortunes, why do you care?
    The Nigel’s could appoint Zidane, Geaudiola(sic) or Mourinho and flood the place with cash, I would give 0 f****, unless they started winning the premier league season after season, I think one doth protesteth too much
  • Options

What badges has Gerrard attained ?

25m & picking a brick up from the bottom.
  • Options
    I'm better qualified then as I have my width, length, 100 and 220 yards and an elementary survival certificate.

• Options

Joking aside, I would have preferred to see him work his way up. Whether you consider the Scottish League a joke and whether you love or hate Rangers, it's a high profile job, and a big platform to fail on...

A name as big as his isn't going to start in the lower leagues. It's nice to see the Ranger's fans happy if nothing else. Apparently he supported them (and Everton) when he was younger.

Ah - well that makes it a brilliant decision then, I stand corrected... :blush:
  • Options
    DA9DA9
    edited May 2018
    Great reception for, and reaction from Gerrard

https://youtu.be/JgM-M4XQPfI
  • Options
    Enjoyed watching that. Really showed what a fantastic stadium Ibrox is.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    @Chippycafc can you explain the flag please?

Yours was for the unnecessary sectarian comment, that you made. I didn't initially flag it but stated it was unnecessary to which you gave a 'lol'.

Pathetic!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'll never tire of saying it. Two cheeks, same arse.
  • Options
    DOC64 said:

@Chippycafc can you explain the flag please?

Yours was for the unnecessary sectarian comment, that you made. I didn't initially flag it but stated it was unnecessary to which you gave a 'lol'.

Pathetic!!

Sure its called getting even.. You flagged my opinion i flagged yours. I did not like your response, it was so unnecessary.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    The bloke supports about 25 teams, he’s just confused
  • Options
    DA9 said:

Take a look at the Rangers forums - they are wetting themselves with excitement over his appointment - I may be wrong, however I can't see this going well - the gulf in class between them and Celtic at the weekend was enormous - and as I understand matters, Rangers haven't exactly got a bottomless pit of money to buy new players with - he may be a big name, however players won't go and play for him in Scottish football just because of that - they will want their ££££££'s as well

Well you clearly know something that the board haven’t told Gerrard during their 2-3 week negotiations, please enlighten us?
    Gerrard, his agent & Mcallister would have wanted cast iron guarantees regards investment before signing on the dotted line no doubt. So, unless they’ve been lied too, I’ll trust Gerard’s judgement.

In regards to the gulf in class, accepted, but that’s why they brought him in, to start trying to bridge that gulf, it wont happen next season, but they have to start somewhere, damned if they do, damned if they don’t, if they had brought in Karl Robinson, people would be shouting no ambition or small time etc
    Exactly this. Pretty obvious Gerrard will have been given some guarantees about signings, the guy isn't going to go there and be made a mug of.

For all we know he's also had a chat with Klopp about getting Liverpool fringe players on loan. Maybe guys like Solanke, Flanagan, Ings etc who could all do a job up there. Also seen that Skrtel and Torres might go there, so just him signing as manager has already raised the bar in terms of who they can attract.

It's clear as night follows day that Celtic are still miles ahead, but i'd bet the gap between them by the end of next season is down to single points.
  • Options
    Pretty sure Gerrard refers to this in his biography.
  • Options
    DOC64 said:

Pretty sure Gerrard refers to this in his biography.

Most likely. The point being, that John Kinsella (the underworld enforcer who saved Gerrard from a psycho thug), was shot dead yesterday morning.
  • Options

Madness if he becomes their new manager. No experience & no groundwork at a lower level. Just because he was a good player doesn't make him a good manager - just look at Bobby Charlton.

I reckon I could manage Rangers to second in that league!
  • Options

Madness if he becomes their new manager. No experience & no groundwork at a lower level. Just because he was a good player doesn't make him a good manager - just look at Bobby Charlton.

I reckon I could manage Rangers to second in that league!
    Sounds like Katrien, improvising with every new manager.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

The bloke supports about 25 teams, he’s just confused

No more than that everybody except rangers.
  • Options
    DOC64 said:

Ok, Well done. The difference being one was sectarian, the other wasn't.

What makes you so bigoted?

Well having lived up there for 6 years and called a "Tim" as i am a catholic by that lot of scum during that time, thought it was fair and reasonable to do the same...or are you saying everybody but the huns are not bigoted.
  • Options

DOC64 said:

Well having lived up there for 6 years and called a "Tim" as i am a catholic by that lot of scum during that time, thought it was fair and reasonable to do the same...or are you saying everybody but the huns are not bigoted.
    The old they started it playground argument on a thread when no one has called anyone a Tim. :smiley:
    I never said anybody here did...
  • Options
    Losing to Aberdeen 1-0
    Could miss out on Europa League which 2 and 3rd place get.

2-Aberdeen 72 points from 37 games
    3-Rangers 68 points from 37 games
    4-Hibernian 66 points from 36 games

Hibernian play Hearts away then Rangers at home
  • Options

DOC64 said:

The old they started it playground argument on a thread when no one has called anyone a Tim. :smiley:
    I never said anybody here did...
    If no one here is doing it, why be the odd one out? Trying to start something?
  • Options

Losing to Aberdeen 1-0
    Could miss out on Europa League which 2 and 3rd place get.

2-Aberdeen 72 points from 37 games
    3-Rangers 68 points from 37 games
    4-Hibernian 66 points from 36 games

Hibernian play Hearts away then Rangers at home

Hibees! Go on you Hibs!

Beat them both
  • Options
    Barring a miracle, Rangers can't be caught by Hibernian now. I imagine Gerrard will be looking forward to European football