Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Summer 2018 transfer rumours

Comments

• Options
    Our squad is smaller than last season but has some very good additions in it, including Igor. If we cam avoid too many injuries, yeah right, we look capable of making a climb up the table.
  • Options
    cfgs said:

Our squad is smaller than last season but has some very good additions in it, including Igor. If we cam avoid too many injuries, yeah right, we look capable of making a climb up the table.

Bowyer said from the beginning of the season, he will have a smaller squad but a better one, anyone want to argue he was right
  • Options
    serious question / when was the last time we signed someone on a deadline day ? Pre Duchâtelet?
  • Options

Leuth said:

Would obviously have Reeves and Sarr on the bench ahead of Lapslie and Marshall, and would also consider starting Vetokele over Pratley or Aribo so we had actual wingers

It’s good to debate you in a non political topic, but I disagree why would you need two centre backs and right back on the bench, we don’t have many park the bus moments in this league.
    Sarr would be the only back-up left-back. Bielik and Dijksteel can both play midfield. It's a no-brainer. Sarr not even making our bench is madness. He's our only remotely experienced back-up CB
  • Options
    ross1 said:

cfgs said:

Bowyer said from the beginning of the season, he will have a smaller squad but a better one, anyone want to argue he was right
    But by the same measure one much more susceptible to an injury crisis. If JFC's injury had happened later we'd have struggled to get a quality replacement. Another injury or two and the U21s are back on the bench. It's the strongest first 11 we've had fir a while and Bowyer has shown real intelligence in his transfers but we are going to need lots of luck to do better than midtable even so.
  • Options
    Our joint top scorer, Grant, being forgotten, it seems.
  • Options

Our joint top scorer, Grant, being forgotten, it seems.

? He is in all the suggested squads.
  • Options

serious question / when was the last time we signed someone on a deadline day ? Pre Duchâtelet?

It was on deadline day, 31 August 2017, when Robinson pulled a masterstroke in signing Joe Dodoo.

One thing LB has done is to have brought in experienced players in Prately & Ward.....even Cullen has played a few seasons in this league. KR brought in players like Mavidid, Dodoo & Kaikai who hadn't played much at this level & are raw. Even though I still don't think we'll get anywhere near the top 6 this season at least the last couple of weeks has guven me hope that we will finish around mid table - which I'd have bitten your hand off at the start of August.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Leuth said:

Would obviously have Reeves and Sarr on the bench ahead of Lapslie and Marshall, and would also consider starting Vetokele over Pratley or Aribo so we had actual wingers

It’s good to debate you in a non political topic, but I disagree why would you need two centre backs and right back on the bench, we don’t have many park the bus moments in this league.
    Sarr would be the only back-up left-back. Bielik and Dijksteel can both play midfield. It's a no-brainer. Sarr not even making our bench is madness. He's our only remotely experienced back-up CB
    Bauer/Pearce gets a knock, Bielik comes on, Solly/Page gets a knock, Dijksteel comes on. Hardly madness. Rather Solly left back than Sarr if Page gets injured, and rather Bielik CB.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I quite like Sarr at full-back, he's decent on the ball and fairly quick
  • Options

Some good signings from a few clubs today.

Zac Clough to Rochdale on loan seems an odd one.
    Christian Doidge to Bolton on loan.

agreed, Clough was meant to be a top player but seems to have lost his way. I think I would have just taken Clough over Ward on ability, but we did need a winger.

Only issue if if we play 442, I am not convinced Ward and Fosu can play down the wings. And I am not convinced Marshall is good enough.
  • Options
    Marshall is good enough. He proved that at Bradford. What he needs to do is prove he can do it consistently.
  • Options

Marshall is good enough. He proved that at Bradford. What he needs to do is prove he can do it consistently.

But that was over a year ago. On the 8 or so occasions I have seen him play he has played well twice. And that was more defensive/protecting the full back. Don't believe he offers the attacking threat we need.

Would like him playing down the wing 1-0 up but not 1-0 down.
  • Options

But that was over a year ago. On the 8 or so occasions I have seen him play he has played well twice. And that was more defensive/protecting the full back. Don't believe he offers the attacking threat we need.

Would like him playing down the wing 1-0 up but not 1-0 down.
    For some reason, Marshall picks up the ball so deep too often, he also comes inside with his back to goal, facing the defence asking for the ball, he is never going to hurt the opposition doing that.

Hopefully now with Cullen, we will have a player who can pick the ball up and find Marshall 20 yards further up the pitch. He just needs to be told to stay wider and not come short looking for the ball. He has ability, I have no doubt of that, I just think he needs a bit of guidance positionally as he seems to have lost a bit of confidence. Players who do what he has been doing are often low on confidence and just want to get involved in the game when sometimes the team needs them to do the opposite.

If for example we played a 4-3-3, as long as he stayed high and wide for most of it, I think he would be a threat going forward. We know he can do the defensive work, just needs to get back to the basics and what he is good at.
  • Options

Unlikely to gain consistency at his age. I've only seen him play well once; he's ok defensively but offers nothing going forward
  • Options

agreed, Clough was meant to be a top player but seems to have lost his way. I think I would have just taken Clough over Ward on ability, but we did need a winger.

Only issue if if we play 442, I am not convinced Ward and Fosu can play down the wings. And I am not convinced Marshall is good enough.
    Ward and Fosu can’t play down the wings? Or do you mean you wouldn’t play two at the same time in a 4-4-2?
  • Options
    I don’t think anyone would argue with the suggestion that the Mark Marshall we have seen isn’t the Mark Marshall of Bradford’s playoff final defeat to the Scum where he was the best player on the pitch. That season wasn’t he Bradford’s player of the year ? He’s not so old and decrepit that he can’t get back to something like that form. I don’t think playing under Robinson and his strange inflexible system did MM any favours and it’s only since Bowyer took charge that Marshall has looked as if he’s on the comeback trail. The most telling point for me is that Bowyer made the point of saying that he wanted to retain Marshall and was very much in his plans. MM is a winger and by definition inconsistent but I certainly havn’t written him off for having an important contribution to make this season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scoham said:

Ward and Fosu can’t play down the wings? Or do you mean you wouldn’t play two at the same time in a 4-4-2?
    Sorry yes meant not sure they can play same time in a 442.

Remains to be seen I guess, but I’m surprisingly slightly optimistic about the squad
  • Options

It was on deadline day, 31 August 2017, when Robinson pulled a masterstroke in signing Joe Dodoo.

One thing LB has done is to have brought in experienced players in Prately & Ward.....even Cullen has played a few seasons in this league. KR brought in players like Mavidid, Dodoo & Kaikai who hadn't played much at this level & are raw. Even though I still don't think we'll get anywhere near the top 6 this season at least the last couple of weeks has guven me hope that we will finish around mid table - which I'd have bitten your hand off at the start of August.
    The squad with the addition of the injured lads looks good enough to me to make the playoffs this season with 41 games still to play. In fact I would go as far as to say that if we don’t get top six then Bowyer will have had an epic fail. The key is getting those injured players back and having a bit of luck with injuries. We must be due some.

• Options

I don’t think anyone would argue with the suggestion that the Mark Marshall we have seen isn’t the Mark Marshall of Bradford’s playoff final defeat to the Scum where he was the best player on the pitch. That season wasn’t he Bradford’s player of the year ? He’s not so old and decrepit that he can’t get back to something like that form. I don’t think playing under Robinson and his strange inflexible system did MM any favours and it’s only since Bowyer took charge that Marshall has looked as if he’s on the comeback trail. The most telling point for me is that Bowyer made the point of saying that he wanted to retain Marshall and was very much in his plans. MM is a winger and by definition inconsistent but I certainly havn’t written him off for having an important contribution to make this season.

Didn't Mark Marshall play together with Josh Cullen at Bradford, that season?
    Billy Clarke was also in that team.

Cullen might be just the player to feed Marshall, as he did that season.
    I wouldn't write off Marshall just yet,

• Options

The squad with the addition of the injured lads looks good enough to me to make the playoffs this season with 41 games still to play. In fact I would go as far as to say that if we don’t get top six then Bowyer will have had an epic fail. The key is getting those injured players back and having a bit of luck with injuries. We must be due some.

I disagree somewhat. Just don't feel we have enough up front to challenge for a top 6 place.
  • Options

I disagree somewhat. Just don't feel we have enough up front to challenge for a top 6 place.
    Taylor, Grant, Vetokele & Ajose. Not enough up front ?
    Not unless we can start providing quality service to them. Which with Fosu, Clarke and Ward coming in should be doable tbf.
  • Options

If we don’t score enough goals I think it will be more down to the midfield not chipping in enough. We’ve had decent contributions from that area which shamed our strikers in recent times but without Holmes and JFC I’m not sure that who we’ve replaced them with are as prolific in terms of goals. There will however be more chances made for Taylor, Vetokele and Grant. I really don’t see Ajose featuring much once all the injured players are fit.

• Options
    thenewbie said:

Taylor, Grant, Vetokele & Ajose. Not enough up front ?
    Not unless we can start providing quality service to them. Which with Fosu, Clarke and Ward coming in should be doable tbf.
    Taylor already has 3 goals with "no service" and Grant has 2. Vetokele has played about 40 mins of football and Ajose hasn't been played as a striker at all. IMO we won't have the top scorer in the league but we'll score a decent amount of goals. And that's without mentioning Ward.

Bauer, Pearce, Bielik, Sarr, Pratley all bring a lot of height as well and I think we'll get quite a few set piece goals, especially with quality dead ball delivery which Cullen should bring