Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket - Summer of 2018

Comments

• Options
    Some of our batsmen simply aren't good enough. A few are but the likes of Stokes, Buttler and even Root have too much a T20 mentality. Shots that they get away with in T20 they can't in Test cricket. The bowling is more consistent and there are far more attacking fields.
  • Options
    Oh well. Drink!
  • Options
    Two flimsy batting sides. England still well in this
  • Options
    England still odds on favourites believe it or not.
  • Options
    Bayliss and Farbrace OUT.
  • Options
    Also, the selection of Buttler is a fucking insult upon the Lions squad, upon those who've begun the season well and upon Test cricket. The biggest nonsense selection in a while.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Also, the selection of Buttler is a fucking insult upon the Lions squad, upon those who've begun the season well and upon Test cricket. The biggest nonsense selection in a while.

A case of the Buttler didn't do it.
  • Options
    Showed that all but one of Pakistan's wickets taken were pitched up. All of our balls are short, apart from one from Board that got a wicket. Same old.
  • Options
    Why can't Broad and Anderson pitch the ball up?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    In my way home - stupid decision to bat - ball zinging around all over - that said, yet again batsmen playing at balls / playing shots that don't belong in the first morning / early part of your innings in a test match - worst of all Root who should know better - he had no need to go after that ball - who knows where this match will end up, however it will be lucky to get to Sunday !!!
  • Options
    I got to work this morning and said to my mate I hope we win the toss this morning as it's perfect bowling conditions.
    Next thing I heard was we won the toss and chose to bat.
    Madness.
  • Options
    Didn’t see a ball as been at Goodwood racing today

Pleased for Cook but we still have a massive opening partnership issue

Looks like some silly shots but why didn’t we have a crack at their fairly fragile batting

Assume overcast May conditions I’m sure Pakistan would have loved to bat in that..
  • Options

Mark Nicholas nailed it on the C5 highlights "That's the difference between Test Cricket and T20 - Slips!"

Some of our batsmen simply aren't good enough. A few are but the likes of Stokes, Buttler and even Root have too much a T20 mentality. Shots that they get away with in T20 they can't in Test cricket. The bowling is more consistent and there are far more attacking fields.

That's what I was trying to say but sadly not quite so succinctly.
  • Options

Riviera said:

Anyone been to Lords yet this year? What is the draught bitter? Is it still Marstons? I hope so. I know the ECB have done a deal with Green King and that is the beer at The Oval now, hopefully the MCC make their own decisions and have kept Marstons.

Still Marstons.
    I was there myself as I had said, but thanks anyway. It was very good ale by the way. Also had some craft beers on and some Breakesperes at the Tavern Bar. Also that funny little patisserie behind the Edrich/Mound is now a Gin Palace! Lords looking very trendy.
  • Options
    Pick a T20 side and you get a T20 score, albeit a reasonable one!
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Bring back Ballance :wink:
  • Options

Riviera said:

Bring back Ballance :wink:
    Out of the game for foreseeable future due to personal problems
    Bring back Boycott.
  • Options
    I love watching The Verdict straight afterwards. Bob Willis saying that the Lions aren't good enough to step up & Angus Fraser (part of the selection committee) trying to justify why Stoneman is still in the side - (blaming the weather wiping out one county mstch & then poor early season pitches)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yet again England pay the price for poor preparation and a sloppy mental attitude.

No coincidence that the Pakistani's have hit the ground running, they have played a couple of first class matches as well as the test in Ireland, where they had a decent match.

Contrast that to our approach, of half the side being shipped in from the IPL, and in the case of Stoneman, having virtually no form at all.

Just like the away NZ series, we come in thinking that we can only half prepare, and will get away with it!
  • Options

Yet again England pay the price for poor preparation and a sloppy mental attitude.

No coincidence that the Pakistani's have hit the ground running, they have played a couple of first class matches as well as the test in Ireland, where they had a decent match.

Contrast that to our approach, of half the side being shipped in from the IPL, and in the case of Stoneman, having virtually no form at all.

Just like the away NZ series, we come in thinking that we can only half prepare, and will get away with it!

Yes, that Ireland test was a great warm up for the Pakistan players, perhaps we should regularly play them in May before the home Tests start?
  • Options
    steady progress from Pakistan 160 odd for 3... batting as if it were a test match
  • Options
    Amazing shot of Cook and Bairstow looking aghast as Root signalled for the review there
  • Options
    Does Bess have a doosra, or just a really good arm ball? A couple seem to have gone the other way. Maybe it's just the slope
  • Options
    Wheels coming off magnificently here
  • Options
    Catches win matches.
    We have now dropped five.
  • Options
    Should we be questioning Root's captaincy ?
  • Options

Should we be questioning Root's captaincy ?

I think we should be questioning how good some of these players are