Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket - Summer of 2018

Comments

• Options
    Riviera said:

McBobbin said:

A distinguished panel of experts at Cricinfo, and separately the readers, came up with identical lists of the best test XI of the last 25 years.

1. Matthew Hayden

2. Virender Sehwag

3. Ricky Ponting

4. Sachin Tendulkar

5. Brian Lara

6. Jacques Kallis

7. Adam Gilchrist (wk)

8. Wasim Akram

9. Shane Warne

10. Muttiah Muralitharan

11. Glenn McGrath

Some massive names in there, and some massive names missing out. Sure I'd like a place for sangakkara and Dravidian, but who will miss out? What if you only wanted one spinner? Steyn possibly instead of Murali.

Really difficult to argue with that list and not an Englishman in sight which underlines our inconsistency over the period, in fact any period!
    So let's name our English XI of that era to play this team:

1) Cook
    2) Trescothick
    3) Vaughn
    4) Root
    5) Pieterson (added through gritted teeth)
    6) Bell
    7) Flintoff
    8) Prior
    9) Swann
    10) Broad
    11) Anderson

Just to clarify I have only included players whose entire Test career falls within 1993-2018 and so that's why no Atherton, Stewart etc.
    I'd pick Thorpe instead of Bell (his debut was in 1993 so he fits the criteria!), I think he adds something that the other players don't have.

At his best (2003-05) Harmison would easily get in that team. as he was genuinely world class during that period. Sadly that didn't last long.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

McBobbin said:

A distinguished panel of experts at Cricinfo, and separately the readers, came up with identical lists of the best test XI of the last 25 years.

1. Matthew Hayden

2. Virender Sehwag

3. Ricky Ponting

4. Sachin Tendulkar

5. Brian Lara

6. Jacques Kallis

7. Adam Gilchrist (wk)

8. Wasim Akram

9. Shane Warne

10. Muttiah Muralitharan

11. Glenn McGrath

Some massive names in there, and some massive names missing out. Sure I'd like a place for sangakkara and Dravidian, but who will miss out? What if you only wanted one spinner? Steyn possibly instead of Murali.

Really difficult to argue with that list and not an Englishman in sight which underlines our inconsistency over the period, in fact any period!
    So let's name our English XI of that era to play this team:

1) Cook
    2) Trescothick
    3) Vaughn
    4) Root
    5) Pieterson (added through gritted teeth)
    6) Bell
    7) Flintoff
    8) Prior
    9) Swann
    10) Broad
    11) Anderson

Just to clarify I have only included players whose entire Test career falls within 1993-2018 and so that's why no Atherton, Stewart etc.
    Purely from the perspective of the side having that meaningful 5th bowler option (and I know that you will say you should only need four) I would bring in Stokes for Bell (much as he is/was such a classy batsman). It also gives you stability with the top four but explosiveness with KP/Stokes/Flintoff and Prior/Swann/a Broad of a former life as a batsman to wag.

• Options
    Allan Donald anyone?
  • Options
    No good, this Moeen chap
  • Options
    England need to be careful here, bowl them out to cheap and YJB won't be able to equal the world record!
  • Options
    Trip to Wickes for the Aussies during the interval?
  • Options
    Another one gone
  • Options
    9 overs, 3-29.

Lol well done Ali.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Oops figures ruined a touch by that last over. Bloomin' Maxwell...

Still, three wickets and economy rate of 4.3
  • Options
    Meanwhile, highest women's ODI score has just been broken...by a 17 year-old...who's normally a bowler
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Badly need a wicket. 155-5
  • Options
    Punter just went all Richie could have swarn it was the great man himself! Maxwell out :-)
  • Options
    Roy goes first ball!
  • Options
    Second ball :wink:
  • Options
    Here we go again!!
  • Options
    Bloody good ball though
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Bloody good ball though

It was but he was late on it. As Sangakkara said "if there is one thing that Jason Roy struggles with and is weak it is the ball that nips back in". He should know because he will have seen him enough times close up.

And it is why Roy, despite the clamour from some at times, will never make a Test batsman let alone a Test opener.
  • Options
    Blame me if he gets out soon but Bairstow is in brilliant form.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Second ball :wink:

So he played a dot ball as well, even worse!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bairstow giving it some humpty
  • Options

That one's not my fault. I never said anything about Hales.
  • Options

Cafc43v3r said:

Bloody good ball though

It was but he was late on it. As Sangakkara said "if there is one thing that Jason Roy struggles with and is weak it is the ball that nips back in". He should know because he will have seen him enough times close up.

And it is why Roy, despite the clamour from some at times, will never make a Test batsman let alone a Test opener.
    Just want to make a point here whixh I'm sure I've said before. Very few people have been calling for Roy in the test side at 6 and I'm yet to see anyone seriously suggest he opens on tests. His record opening the batting for Surrey in the longer format is terrible. Adams nearly ruined his career (also did this to Jordan and a number of others at surrey) by forcing him to open for so long.

He is what he is. A very good limited overs batsman who on is day is another level but will be hit and miss given the way he plays.
  • Options

Oops!
  • Options

Cafc43v3r said:

Bloody good ball though

Just want to make a point here whixh I'm sure I've said before. Very few people have been calling for Roy in the test side at 6 and I'm yet to see anyone seriously suggest he opens on tests. His record opening the batting for Surrey in the longer format is terrible. Adams nearly ruined his career (also did this to Jordan and a number of others at surrey) by forcing him to open for so long.

He is what he is. A very good limited overs batsman who on is day is another level but will be hit and miss given the way he plays.
    Sorry Canters but you are incorrect on that count. When he got that mammoth score last year there were some (and I'm not saying you) who were suggesting that he should be given a go in the Test side. I will dig it out if I have to.
  • Options
    Is it Broad on commentary?
  • Options
    Just seen the view of the comms box. Yes it is.
  • Options
    The oval is a fantastic ground to watch cricket.
    3 of us on here have tickets for Surrey Kent next month in 20 /20 I can't wait.
  • Options
    Moeen has gone full troll I think. Chucked away his MOTM if not the match itself, probably
  • Options
    Willey will see us through. A horror sentence