Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket - Summer of 2018

Comments

• Sam Curran called up as Stokes is an injury doubt

Which means he will miss the Kent Surrey match on Friday :smile:

Actually solves a problem. We were struggling to get all our top class quicks in there.

Sam
    Tom
    Morkel
    Clarke
    Dernbach
    Meaker

And we had been playing with only 3.

Still a massive loss though and o believe it's too early for him. Especially in tests. Would prefer him to have a few one dayers then come back to us.

Think woakes should come in if Stokes is out.

Actually solves a problem. We were struggling to get all our top class quicks in there.

Sam
    Tom
    Morkel
    Clarke
    Dernbach
    Meaker

And we had been playing with only 3.

Still a massive loss though and o believe it's too early for him. Especially in tests. Would prefer him to have a few one dayers then come back to us.

Think woakes should come in if Stokes is out.
    Playing Woakes, Wood, Broad and Jimmy does make more sense really, I imagine Sam will be released on the morning of the Test (but too late to get back to Beckenham)
  • Playing four RFM bowlers makes more sense than a left-armer who swings it?

I guess if they don't want Bess batting at 7 then they have to pick Woakes. Is Wood necessary?
  • Leuth said:

Playing four RFM bowlers makes more sense than a left-armer who swings it?

I guess if they don't want Bess batting at 7 then they have to pick Woakes. Is Wood necessary?

I think that Bess. Curran.Wood,Jimmy and Broad gives a much better balance.
    Doesnt matter who bats at 7 - batting is shit at 7/11 anyway.
  • Maybe they throw Curran in at 6 as direct Stokes replacement and hope it works
  • Sam's batting has very much taken a back seat while he has concentrated on his bowling the last year or so. The potential is still there and on his day he looks very good - Surrey are still backing him in the long run (Stewie says he will bat 4 for Surrey) but for now his batting isn't brilliant. Don't think he has made a 20 yet this season. He bats 7 in first class cricket for us (6 in the one dayers) and most surrey fans think he is a place or 2 too high. To bat him any higher than 7 for England would be madness.
  • Leuth said:

Playing four RFM bowlers makes more sense than a left-armer who swings it?

On the other hand playing a 20 year old spinner and a 19/20 year old seamer in the same side is a massive risk, especially against a confident Pakistan batting line up.
  • Sponsored links:

• We are gonna go all Paul Warhurst / Chris Sutton and Curran will open with Cook.
  • Buttler will defo bat 6. I think both Curran and Woakes need to play to provide some extra strength in batting if Stokes is out. Woakes 7, Bess 8 and Curran 9. Would open with Wood and Jimmy
  • Buttler will defo bat 6. I think both Curran and Woakes need to play to provide some extra strength in batting if Stokes is out. Woakes 7, Bess 8 and Curran 9. Would open with Wood and Jimmy

So you are droppimh Broad? Or are we playing with 12 an hoping no one notices?
  • Suggestion from Vaughan was that Broad should be dropped. Hasnt 'done it' condistently for some time.
  • edited May 2018
    Nor has Cook. He might get the odd big score but he is usually quite reliable in terms of getting out for a low one nowadays. Sad because he was a great player.
  • Suggestion from Vaughan was that Broad should be dropped. Hasnt 'done it' condistently for some time.

I think his suggestion was more that he didn't want Woakes brought in at the expense of Wood (the "easy option") and instead dropping a big name would shake things up and remove some of the complacency in the side.
  • Nor has Cook. He might get the odd big score but he is usually quite reliable in terms of getting out for a low one nowadays. Sad because he was a great player.

I still think he's our best batsman. I do agree that he's more inconsistent these days though. It's rare that he'll have two good innings in one test.
  • Nor has Cook. He might get the odd big score but he is usually quite reliable in terms of getting out for a low one nowadays. Sad because he was a great player.

I still think he's our best batsman. I do agree that he's more inconsistent these days though. It's rare that he'll have two good innings in one test.
    Oh dare I say it, one!
  • MrOneLung said:

We are gonna go all Paul Warhurst / Chris Sutton and Curran will open with Cook.

Not quite opening, but Essex once played Danish Kaneria at 3 in a T20. Having seen that, anything else seems plausible
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2018

Buttler will defo bat 6. I think both Curran and Woakes need to play to provide some extra strength in batting if Stokes is out. Woakes 7, Bess 8 and Curran 9. Would open with Wood and Jimmy

So you are droppimh Broad? Or are we playing with 12 an hoping no one notices?
    Might need 12 players to get the win. But yes I would drop Broad, I wouldn't say Woakes is any better, but can't see him being much worse and provides some much needed batting depth.
  • Woakes, Curran and Jennnings in for Wood, Stokes and Stoneman

Pakistan win the toss and will bat
  • I fancy us to dismiss them for between 150-175
  • Playing four number 7 batsmen I see - maybe they'll play whist to see who bats 6
  • Buttler 6, Woakes 7, Bess 8 and Curran 9 I reckon.
  • Harsh to drop Wood.

With no Stokes either, we do lack a bit of pace and aggression in our bowling
  • Good start from Anderson and Broad. LBW reviewed and overturned after being given out and then an excellent slip catch to make it 0-1
  • Batting first a bold move. It could easily backfire
  • edited June 2018

Harsh to drop Wood.

With no Stokes either, we do lack a bit of pace and aggression in our bowling

He's probably going to break down if he plays back to back tests so it's actually quite a sensible move.
  • 17-2 another for Broad