Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket - Summer of 2018

Comments

• Leuth said:

I will laugh and laugh if they get 176 tbh

Keep laughing...................
  • 174 All out Woo Hoo.
  • If Stokes has a brain.........
  • On a train up to Leeds. Sadly the weather forecast for today isn't good.
  • I was out all afternoon & so only saw the highlights on Sky. I like the look of Jennings - thought the same last year when he debuted. I'd stick with him & bin Stoneman.

Not sure what S Curran brings....when I heard a Curran was picked I assumed it was the one that played in the Ashes 6 months ago.....do you think Ed Smith got the wrong one ala Ron Bassett.
  • Agreed, Currans not quick enough for test cricket, he’s just another David Willey
  • Agreed, Currans not quick enough for test cricket, he’s just another David Willey

Picked far too early. There's a reason why few pace bowlers of that age have been picked

But we don’t have many fast Bowlers.

Which quickies do you suggest?
  • got 10 wickets against a Yorkshire team that included Root & Bairstow......one swallow & all that.
  • MrOneLung said:

Agreed, Currans not quick enough for test cricket, he’s just another David Willey

If Wood was fit enough to be in the squad, I really don't see why he didn't play.
  • Sponsored links:

• MrOneLung said:

Agreed, Currans not quick enough for test cricket, he’s just another David Willey

actually I disagree. I think we have enough fast bowlers more than capable of playing against Pakistan on home pitches. Someone like Craig Overton would have been a better pick as replacement for Stokes IMO
  • Very frustrating, the highlight so far is the spectator dressed in the Geri Haliwell union jack dress!
  • The best selection for this Test would have been Ben Coad. Trouble is, he's about Curran's pace and relies on swinging/seaming pitches. But he'd have wreaked havoc. I guess the others wreaked havoc too
  • And besides, we seem to have discarded horses for courses selections, for better or worse
  • Sam Curren will develop into a decent batsman and a useful Bowler.
    Probably picked about 2 years to soon though.
    The best we can hope is that he learns from the experience and not be too disappointed if he is discarded later in the season.
  • I am not a Surrey fan but out of interest, do people see him being a better batsman or bowler? Will he be a Number 6 who can bowl when the ball is swinging or will he be a bowler who can bat a bit like Craig Overton?
  • I am not a Surrey fan but out of interest, do people see him being a better batsman or bowler? Will he be a Number 6 who can bowl when the ball is swinging or will he be a bowler who can bat a bit like Craig Overton?

David Lloyd on sky cricket earlier in the day said he sees him primarily as a batsman but also a useful change bowler.
    Looking at his physical build I will be surprised if he ever bowled much quicker than low 80s so I agree with Bumble.

David Lloyd on sky cricket earlier in the day said he sees him primarily as a batsman but also a useful change bowler.
    Looking at his physical build I will be surprised if he ever bowled much quicker than low 80s so I agree with Bumble.
    Makes sense, and no doubt will be very useful when the ball is swinging. Do you think he will be a good enough batsman to play International cricket though? Maybe just limited overs?

Makes sense, and no doubt will be very useful when the ball is swinging. Do you think he will be a good enough batsman to play International cricket though? Maybe just limited overs?
    Both the Curren brothers are good enough to play international one day cricket now imo.
    Weather they are good enough for test cricket remains to be seen.
    Personally I would have picked Tom for this test and not Sam.
    But then I am not a selector.
  • Wood, Overton, Tom Curran, Finn, all would have been better picks for what is a one off Test with a big gap before the India series.

• Sponsored links:

• edited June 2018

I am not a Surrey fan but out of interest, do people see him being a better batsman or bowler? Will he be a Number 6 who can bowl when the ball is swinging or will he be a bowler who can bat a bit like Craig Overton?

Same type of build as Malcolm Marshall at that age.
  • Suggestion from Vaughan was tgat Broad s

I am not a Surrey fan but out of interest, do people see him being a better batsman or bowler? Will he be a Number 6 who can bowl when the ball is swinging or will he be a bowler who can bat a bit like Craig Overton?

Same type of build as Malcolm Marshall at that age.
    Well if he bowls anything like Marshall we will all be delighted.
  • Wood, Overton, Tom Curran, Finn, all would have been better picks for what is a one off Test with a big gap before the India series.

The difference being they are all right-armers when we have all been crying out for a bit of diversity.
    I notice Rees Topley has recently come back into the fray - I wonder if he might get back into the reckoning.
  • Celebration of that wicket cracked me up. High five/ face slap!
  • Mass case of jug avoidance going on in this test by England!

No idea what you are talking about.

50 = buy a jug of beer after the game.
    49 etc like Bess got = a fine for jug avoidance.
  • Got to see 50 odd overs, which is a lot more than I feared I would see!

50 = buy a jug of beer after the game.
    49 etc like Bess got = a fine for jug avoidance.
    Got to feel for Bess.

He gritted it out and then got an absolute brute of a ball on 49.
  • Bess looked good, but like people are saying, it's his bowling that needs to impress. If we wanted a spinner who could bat then there was no point in dropping Moeen