Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

***Lee Bowyer - Caretaker Manager (Jackson Assistant)***

Comments

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Add Curbs to that and its a case of our last four promotions having been won by ex Players
    All trends have to end.
    That's the spirit.
  • Options

I'm struggling to understand how some people think that this is a decision that has intentionally been made that is for the best for the club / giving us the best chance of the play offs.

This has happened for one reason and one reason only; Robinson wants away. We could have lost the next 5 games 8-0 and Robinson would still be our manager if he wanted to be.

The decision that people are discussing is the one to appoint Bowyer and JJ rather than someone from outside the club. Don't think anyone is under the illusion that the club made the decision to part company with Robinson.
  • Options

Add Curbs to that and its a case of our last four promotions having been won by ex Players
    Chris 2012, Curbs 98 & '00 - but it was Lennie before that...
  • Options
    edited March 2018

Chris 2012, Curbs 98 & '00 - but it was Lennie before that...
    My bad... 4 of the last 5 Managers then ;)
  • Options
    edited March 2018

braydex said:

JJ and LB will do nothing. That is not a personal attack, but just fact.

Dont let the fact they once played for Charlton distract from the real situation here. They are taking on their first 'management' stint, under the ownership of RD, with an injury ridden squad and players that are simply nothing more than mediocre.

There is huge pressure on them to get us into the play offs.

There is huge pressure on them for us not to fall into a relegation battle.

Bowyer confirmed at a recent meet and greet he hadn't even met, let alone spoken to RD.

There is no money. Huge doubts and concerns over future ownership and probably their jobs.

So when you take all that into consideration, tell me why they are going to achieve the impossible?

Like all the other managers, caretaker managers, returning managers and their assistants before them, these two are walking into nothing more than an absolute mess of a club and they both know that. They should have refused to take on the position until RD had sold up and forced his hand.

Calm down mate. I think a bit of positive thinking would not go a miss right now.
    2 fresh brains, who have a great relationship with the players. No one is expecting playoffs now, so they have nothing to lose.

Some one give this man a kleenex!
    Well said Jorge, the only problem is some people are expecting the play offs ! Some of the same people who said the players are shite after Peterborough, Blackpool and Fleetwood, now think we will finish in the top 6. The Charlton Life seesaw in on the move again.
  • Options
    If Bowyer lacks the required coaching badges what about Euell? Is there any reason he wasn't given a chance? Just asking because I bloody love him.
  • Options
    We were lucky with Lennie Lawrence in '82 (though it took 4 years) and lucky with Curbishley and Gritt in '92 - though, again, the first genuinely impressive season didn't come until 95-96 when it was Curbishley alone running the show.

Hope for the best, which is a decent late run and a play-offs spot.
  • Options
    I no from inside information lee b and jj thought Robinson was a right prick and to flash and didn't get on jj got on a little better by all accounts
  • Options
    At long, long last a little transfusion of Charlton blood into the almost dead body of our grand old club. Good luck to the BJ team - happy with this.
  • Options
    EastStand said:

If Bowyer lacks the required coaching badges what about Euell? Is there any reason he wasn't given a chance? Just asking because I bloody love him.

He turned down the chance to become manager after the caretaking period. Wanted to stay with the U23s.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Whatever happens over the next 10 games nobody will give the boys any stick. Thy are stuck with a bunch of players who are totally lacking in confidence with no-one able to put the ball in the net and several key players out with injuries plus many of whom won't be here next season. A thankless and impossible task methinks. Wasn't going to go Saturday (didn't go last week) but feel I need to give Lee and Jacko a bit of support.
  • Options
    Best option(s) with the cards dealt by Duchatelet. If he was concerned what was happening then more likely we would have seen Riga or Nobby Vinegar by Saturday, but he's given up and just dragging this farce on a bit longer.

Nothing to lose in the next ten games for Jacko and Bow. The crowd that are left will give them nothing but a good reception.
  • Options
    I'm delighted for Bowyer, and for Jacko, although my heart goes out to them given the desperate situation they find themselves in.

They will undoubtedly lift the fans, how much they can lift a regressing team in terms of actual football with the stranglehold RD has over the club and the summer creeping up on players who will be experiencing deja vu again.

They are also very inexperienced coaches which is why I'd throw Euell into the mix too. He at least, even at a youth level, has considerable more years working on player development. All three are experienced, seasoned players and they have 10 games to try and lift spirits, at least knowing the fans will be in full voice behind them in a way they haven't since Powell.
  • Options
    Near on miracle if we made the play-offs, I dont think players are that bothered so it might just be an interesting few weeks, a win on Saturday could be a the start of a run, however a defeat might just be the final nails in this coffin like season, shall support from afar & certainly wish the 2 chaps all the very best & luck - its the hope that bloody kills you :)
  • Options
    All the time Duchatelet is there any impact will be limited.

The one potential crumb of comfort, if memory serves me right, is that Curbs has spoken in complimentary terms about Bowyer's football brain in the past.

Perhaps he can shift a deckchair or two before hitting the end of season ice floe of another year of midtable league one mediocrity.

Still those who complained about midtable premiership mediocrity under Curbs should be dancing naked in the streets.

It's nearly 12 years since we've had any of that boring nonsense...
  • Options
    Oakster said:

At long, long last a little transfusion of Charlton blood into the almost dead body of our grand old club. Good luck to the BJ team - happy with this.

The BJ Team - if that isnt enough of an incentive for our players then nothing ever will be!
  • Options
    One potentially optimistic note is that when another completely unknown quantity, Jose Riga, became manager following the disgraceful sacking of Chris Powell it was apparently Jackson who rallied the troops.

Maybe he can repeat the exercise.
  • Options
    Oakster said:

We can't start calling them the BJ team... I know the squad needs a bit of motivation but I don't think that's the way forward!
  • Options

Bowyer and Jacko needs shortening.

How about Bowko, Jowyer or Backo? Although Team BJ is a good one.

jj & lee
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Might be wrong, but I am not sure Lee Bowyer would be allowed to take charge permanently as I don’t think he has the required coach badge.

No but under RD a quick trip to Disneyland Paris and obtaining the Mickey Mouse club coaching badge should be ok?
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    cazo said:

I no know from inside information lee b and jj thought Robinson was a right prick and to too flash and didn't get on . jj got on a little better by all accounts

corrected for you.
  • Options

cazo said:

I no know from inside information lee b and jj thought Robinson was a right prick and to too flash and didn't get on . jj got on a little better by all accounts

corrected for you.
    You corrected that 'kmow' sharpish there, Golfie ;-)
  • Options

Might be wrong, but I am not sure Lee Bowyer would be allowed to take charge permanently as I don’t think he has the required coach badge.

He’s gotta drive the bus too? Things are worse than I thought.....
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

All the time Duchatelet is there any impact will be limited.

The one potential crumb of comfort, if memory serves me right, is that Curbs has spoken in complimentary terms about Bowyer's football brain in the past.

Perhaps he can shift a deckchair or two before hitting the end of season ice floe of another year of midtable league one mediocrity.

Still those who complained about midtable premiership mediocrity under Curbs should be dancing naked in the streets.

It's nearly 12 years since we've had any of that boring nonsense...

I remember Curbs telling Bowyer Not to let Alex Rae wind him up against the spanners.
    Lee was the first one back in the showers ! His football brain was still immature back then.
  • Options

The monkeys change but the organ grinder stays the same :-(

I’ve been sharpening my own knife for ages..eh? Oh :(
  • Options
    Drop Mag.
    Play Zyro and Ajose in a 4-4-2.
  • Options

Drop Mag.
    Play Zyro and Ajose in a 4-4-2.

Mag cannot play anyway, away with NI.
  • Options
    edited March 2018

Maybe Karel Fraeye will sell them his UEFA Pro licence, he’s not using it at the moment. What a load of old guff this licence stuff is - I wonder how Shankly, Sir Alf, Clough etc ever got on without all this nonsense.