Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

***UPBEATS DAY - TODAY***(Walkers - additional info on Page 4)

Comments

• LouisMend said:

Looking forward to it, my first time on the walk.

We know you can talk the talk, time to see if you can walk the walk :wink:

• Those with kids...

One of my boys (he’s 7) is begging to do the walk with me. My gut feeling is it’s too much but he’s distraught about it.

Has anyone walked it (or similar distances) with kids this age before? Thoughts?

I am in the same position. Be keen to hear thoughts.
  • Those with kids...

One of my boys (he’s 7) is begging to do the walk with me. My gut feeling is it’s too much but he’s distraught about it.

Has anyone walked it (or similar distances) with kids this age before? Thoughts?

Far too long mate. Not only will he be knackered, he’ll probably be bored after the first mile or two. I get my wife to drop my daughter off a mile or so from the end so she does the last bit.
  • Those with kids...

If you can't get the good lady to meet you somewhere on route, my suggestion would be leave him at home. Carrying him on your shoulders will knacker your back within a mile.
  • 10 miles is too much for a 7 year old. I'd have thought if at all possible, let them start with you for say 1 mile, get partner/friend/grandparent etc to be waiting on route and then drop them back to you with a mile to go. Just like dog years 10 miles for a 7 year old is probably a marathon for an adult.
  • T_C_E said:

Those with kids...

Carrying him on your shoulders will knacker your back within a mile.
    Although he could put a long coat on and look like a normal height person.
  • Those with kids...

10 miles is a hell of a distance for a 7 year old. When we used to do Scout group hikes, kids of this age might join for the last 2 or 3 miles. Obviously depends on his fitness and experience of walking whether he can do more but wouldn't recommend 10 miles.
  • 10 miles is a very long way for a 7 year old I would suggest. 2-3 miles is reasonable but unless they are particularly fit, much more than 4 and they will likely start flagging and complaining tbh.
    That also applies to me :wink:
  • Those with kids...

One of our groups is bringing his 7 year old son, a few of us have agreed to share giving him a ride on our shoulders if it gets too much. Alternatively, if your boy has a scooter, why not bring that along?
  • Sponsored links:

• Any more for some happy Upbeat ska?

https://the2percent.bandcamp.com

It'll get you dancing, and proceeds from downloads will go to support the lads.
  • I’m not taking my son (5) this time because you just end up with him on shoulders for 8 miles.

This is the voice of experience.

Would suggest not taking is the better option chaps
  • Those with kids...

Roo is 8 and coming. His mum tells me he walked 5 miles recently and got very tired. We will be bringing a scooter.
  • Those with kids...

Roo is 8 and coming. His mum tells me he walked 5 miles recently and got very tired. We will be bringing a scooter.
    Honestly mate, a scooter will be a bad idea. You’ll either be carrying it for half the time or worried about it bashing into people.
  • Cheers all, backed my own thoughts. See you in the morning
  • Mmmm, i did think that about the scooter as well....

• Thanks to @DRAddick Pat McTernan and good ol anonymous for your contributions, much appreciated

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/charltonlife-upbeats2018

Not sure going out tonight will prove wise in the morning :-(
  • https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/charltonlife-upbeats2018

Thought I'd donated already but turned out I hadn't. Wanted to post the link for anyone who is on the fence or who couldn't find it. Top marks to everyone doing the walk. Always looks like a lot of fun (and an impressive trek).
  • LouisMend said:

Looking forward to it, my first time on the walk.

I was looking forward to it until I found out Palace fans were attending too.
  • Cannot join you on the walk but have donated to this great cause.

Have fun and If anyone gets the bug after this, I highly recommend the 500 mile Camino de Santiago walk across Northern Spain!
  • Sponsored links:

• Just back from paper shop, lovely morning for a walk.

See you all soon
  • On way. Strolling to Dartford station. Lovely morning. Looking forward to this.
  • Lovely morning for a stroll! Looking forward to seeing early morning Greenwich and around.
  • Having a cup of tea then setting off.
  • Good luck to all the walkers but especially @SE7toSG3 and @charltonnick representing the museum.
  • Great day. Fab weather. Tired legs.
  • Cracking day, lovely weather, great company, the blisters on my feet bloody hurt though.
  • Any photos of the walk?
  • Solidgone said:

Any photos of the walk?

If only I knew how to post photos!
  • My legs are in pieces.