Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Old Charlton related photos

Comments

• Article on the V1 attack on Charlton station from MOD magazine

Nice one.

That's the picture I'd seen before, but couldn't find anything about what it was like before.

Interestingly (to me, at least) I was in Mile End over the weekend and walked past the site where the first V1 hit London. There's a blue plaque on the wall to mark the spot.
  • edited August 22
    Dave Rudd said:
    Off_it said:
    Have just  been reading up on the bomb damage to the Greenwich and Charlton area during WW2.

Does anyone have a picture of Charlton station before it got hit by a German V1 and totally destroyed? Have found some pictures online of the post-blast damage, but not what it looked like before that.

(I'd always wondered as a kid why the Charlton station building seemed more "modern" than other stations)
    I've been playing with the Britain From Above website and they have at least one aerial image of Charlton, showing the Valley and the station in 1933. There are lots of images in the area but the map doesn't make it easy to work out which areas are covered by which images. This one's easy because there's a massive, easily-identifiable football ground in it. You'll need to register to zoom into the image and actually see anything.
    https://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/en/image/EPW040932
    That photo in the link, only shows one side of Victory way for the J&P site,  the main factory was on the right side going down the hill.
    I haven't posted on here for a long time  .. but when something factually incorrect appears ... well, what would you do?

The main J&P site in Victoria Way (not 'Victory Way' @guinnessaddick) was very definitely on the right hand side going UP the hill.
    I meant Victoria Way, there was a lot of land on the right going up, the buildings on that side were mainly srotage, the main factory was on the left going up when I worked there for 7 years in the 80’s.
    1980's?  I thought that Johnson & Phillips was taken over by Delta Cables (Delta Metal?) in the 1960's.

Certainly Delta occupied the left hand side as you go up the hill.

I used to be woken up for school by the 7am 'call to work' bell of J&P in the 1950's.

I've posted a picture below of the end of Delta Cables in 1987.
  • Johnson and Phillips main entrance and works where on the right hand side of the road walking up the hill from the Woolwich Road. 

My father worked there during the war and left in the early 1970,s In fact he was born and raised up almost opposite the main entrance in Victoria Way..

I have many photos of work events and meetings mainly from the 1950s at home.

• Was it on the left, was it on the right?

https://www.layersoflondon.org/map/records/victoria-way

Johnson and Phillips. Victoria Works. In 1875, the Walter Johnson and Samuel Phillips set up business in a small building called Victoria Works on the west side of the road and north of the railway line. They also took on a City office as ‘Telegraph and Electric Engineers’. They began making telegraph cable but expanded into other related products. In 1877 they opened a large workshop to make electric wire and cable. Sixty years the works later had expanded into a large public concern employing hundreds of workers. In 1906 land was bought from the railway to expand the works. At the end of the Great War houses in Fossdene and Inverine Roads were bought and demolished to expand the factoory. By 1930 both partners had died but the firm continued to expand. Much of the works was demolished following a V2 rocket attack in 1945 however a lot of work had been done for PLUTO. After the war they made new breakthroughs in electric cable manufacture and sheathing. A tall circular tower built in 1966 could be seen throughout the area and housed extruded aluminium alloy tubing in a continual coil demolished. They were taken over by Delta & Enfield Ltd. in 1964. Most signs of Johnson & Phillips now gone but much of the  equipment they manufactured is still extant in electrical installations here and abroad. Most of the site was cleared in the late 1960s and much of it subsequently developed with warehousing.
  • In 1875, the Walter Johnson and Samuel Phillips set up business in a small building called Victoria Works on the west side of the road and north of the railway line.

How difficult is it?

Victoria Way runs North to South roughly.  As you walk up from Woolwich Road, the West side is the right hand side.  And the North side of the railway is the bit before you reach the bridge.

I rest my case.

Oh!  And by the way, from 1964 is was Delta Enfield Cables.

@Lewis Coaches ... who was your Dad?  i might have know him ... or his kids more likely (eg you).
  • Dave Rudd said:

The VCV,  vertical continuous vulcaniser. When the great storm of ‘87, the night shift lads were trapped at the top, several hours later and after their shift had ended, they were released.First question was are we still on overtime?
  • Dave Rudd said:

…Oh!  And by the way, from 1964 is was Delta Enfield Cables…
    I never knew that it was taken over by Delta. My Nan used to clean there in the 60s and early 70s and she always referred to it as simply Johnson’s.
  • My Dad worked in the offices there through the 50's until Delta took over in the mid 60's. He played goalkeeper for the works team and although he is no longer with us , I have all his winners medals from his football exploits 
    He organised many works outings to Margate and in the later years organised a works coach to the FA Cup at Coventry and to Aston Villa. ( We never broke down) !!
    Ironically after the company closed down , it was always a family joke, wherever in the UK we went on holiday he would always bump into someone from "Johnsons" happy days
  • Sponsored links:

• Article on the V1 attack on Charlton station from MOD magazine

Great article, as an aside, I lived in Wolfe crescent in the early 80's, that's when I started attending on a more regular basis, and was saved from a lifetime of goonerism,  my late dad and my stepmum lived there until he retired 12 or so years ago.
  • I know some of those factory units on the right of Victoria Way were used as customs bonded warehouses in the 90's, a friend of mine worked on the forklifts there.
  • What an excellent read - many thanks 
  • Red Robin said:
    My Dad worked in the offices there through the 50's until Delta took over in the mid 60's. He played goalkeeper for the works team and although he is no longer with us , I have all his winners medals from his football exploits 
    He organised many works outings to Margate and in the later years organised a works coach to the FA Cup at Coventry and to Aston Villa. ( We never broke down) !!
    Ironically after the company closed down , it was always a family joke, wherever in the UK we went on holiday he would always bump into someone from "Johnsons" happy days
    My dad also worked there in the late 50s and through the 60s......always remember the employees' children's Christmas parties when we got a jolly bag to take away!
  • Dave Rudd said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    Off_it said:
    Have just  been reading up on the bomb damage to the Greenwich and Charlton area during WW2.

Does anyone have a picture of Charlton station before it got hit by a German V1 and totally destroyed? Have found some pictures online of the post-blast damage, but not what it looked like before that.

(I'd always wondered as a kid why the Charlton station building seemed more "modern" than other stations)
    I've been playing with the Britain From Above website and they have at least one aerial image of Charlton, showing the Valley and the station in 1933. There are lots of images in the area but the map doesn't make it easy to work out which areas are covered by which images. This one's easy because there's a massive, easily-identifiable football ground in it. You'll need to register to zoom into the image and actually see anything.
    https://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/en/image/EPW040932
    That photo in the link, only shows one side of Victory way for the J&P site,  the main factory was on the right side going down the hill.
    I haven't posted on here for a long time  .. but when something factually incorrect appears ... well, what would you do?

The main J&P site in Victoria Way (not 'Victory Way' @guinnessaddick) was very definitely on the right hand side going UP the hill.
    I meant Victoria Way, there was a lot of land on the right going up, the buildings on that side were mainly srotage, the main factory was on the left going up when I worked there for 7 years in the 80’s.
    1980's?  I thought that Johnson & Phillips was taken over by Delta Cables (Delta Metal?) in the 1960's.

Certainly Delta occupied the left hand side as you go up the hill.

I used to be woken up for school by the 7am 'call to work' bell of J&P in the 1950's.

I've posted a picture below of the end of Delta Cables in 1987.
    I'd just left school that summer and my dad got me some temporary work doing the 'soft strip' there  - chucking furniture and stuff into skips. Was some right characters in the 'Maintenance / Works Dept' there.  

• Heading off for a beano to Margate in the 80’s from Delta. Me in the Pringle jumper.
    Think  I recognise a couple of faces there 
  • edited August 24

Heading off for a beano to Margate in the 80’s from Delta. Me in the Pringle jumper.
    Such as who?

• Heading off for a beano to Margate in the 80’s from Delta. Me in the Pringle jumper.
    Such as who?
      Jackaman’s  ??? 

Such as who?
      Jackaman’s  ??? 
    👍🏻

Such as who?
    Sammy Davis Jnr front row?
  • Sponsored links:

• DOUCHER said:

Heading off for a beano to Margate in the 80’s from Delta. Me in the Pringle jumper.
    Such as who?
    Sammy Davis Jnr front row?
    Mac The Knife on the left and Bo Jangles looking shifty at the back.
  • Never seen this one before - the East Terrace whilst it was still part chalk cliff - taken from Facebook.

Wow…..that is so evocative and in many ways inspiring. 
    Possibly the most iconic photo of The Valley I have ever seen.
    Brilliant……thanks for coming up with that Sporadic.👏
  • Never seen this one before - the East Terrace whilst it was still part chalk cliff - taken from Facebook.

Fantastic photo , love it.
  • I just thought the skyline behind the goal didn’t look right but then I didn’t start going until the early 60’s and the photo obviously pre dates that so a lot could have changed.
  • Here's a different picture taken from what would become the Covered End. Easy to see where / how the other picture was taken, as the old chalk cliff angles away from the pitch behind the scoreboard.

Now that is a brilliant photo without a doubt.
  • Does anyone have any idea when the East Terrace as we remember it was begun and extended? I seem to remember my grandfather saying he watched Charlton when it was grass. I’m not sure the second photo shows a stone terrace, possibly a grassy bank instead.