Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Old Charlton related photos

Comments

• fadgadget said:
    The Valley 1954
    Great picture , shows how big the south terrace was at one time.
  • Remember the South Terrace as a kid..  huge looking across to the East Terrace. 
  • Sam Lawrie and Trevor Edwards?
  • fadgadget said:
    The Valley 1954
    Great picture , shows how big the south terrace was at one time.
    Fine this really unerring as it’s almost an upside current Valley aerially 
  • kentred2 said:
    From a BBC News article today about Bill Gates, Middlesbrough no 5. 
    Who are the two Addicks? 
        Sam Lawrie and Dennis (Daisy) Edwards
  • edited May 28
    Sam Lawrie and Trevor Edwards?
    Nope……that’s definitely Dennis Edwards.
    Sam Lawrie, was a slightly built 5ft-7in outside right with a cannonball shot, scored 24 goals in a season around that time.
    From Scotland.
    He had a Lambretta and would pick up fans standing at bus stops on their way to The Valley on match days.
  • Sam Lawrie and Trevor Edwards?
    Nope……that’s definitely Dennis Edwards.
    Sam Lawrie, was a slightly built 5ft-7in outside right with a cannonball shot, scored 24 goals in a season around that time.
    From Scotland…..had a Lambretta and would pick up fans standing at bus stops on their was to The Valley on match days.

Exactly how many fans?  Sorry, I had to ask ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• The Valley circa 1973
    Sunday market in the car park and a Bovril sign
    I always remember being so proud of us having what was said to be the biggest capacity ground when I was a kid in the 60's. 

Also remember going to away grounds and thinking how small they seemed by comparison. 

Also have the bad memories of some dismal crowds in such an immense ground. A few thousand on a Sunday morning vs Tranmere and Ron Yates was one of them during the power strikes around 1974. 
  • The Valley circa 1973
    That first game of the season at home to Shrewsbury (?) in the old third division with around 3,000 in the ground and we lost 2-1 (?) really hit home at how far we had fallen. As the story went after the game, the Shrewsbury players had been motivated by the big ground and coming to play Charlton - sums up the last couple of seasons. 
  • The Valley circa 1973
    Bought my first scarves from the club shop in the portacabin at the top of the East Terrace!
  • edited May 29
    The East Terrace v Chelsea 27 December 1937.

"Only" 51,125 saw Charlton win 3 - 1.
    The first thing I think now when I see old photos like this is, "what happens when you need a piss"? I wouldn't see hardly any of the game.
  •  34 years ago today. 5th May 1990. Old Trafford. Division One.Last game of 89/90 season. After 4 consecutive seasons in the top flight we are relegated. Photos taken by my old man. Went with my brothers and dad. First visit to OT.
    Unless I am mistaken that’s the back of my head in the first picture. That’s when I had hair Carl Leaburn 
  • For many years stood at this barrier on the South End of the ground with my four elder brothers. Had some great chats with Charlie Wright.
  • Me, my brother and cousins used to stand  in front of you MAM. Always wondered who you lot were. 
  • For many years stood at this barrier on the South End of the ground with my four elder brothers. Had some great chats with Charlie Wright.
    I used to stand this way to the left of the goal with my dad in the late 50's. Agree about Charlie 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 30
    Me, my brother and cousins used to stand  in front of you MAM. Always wondered who you lot were. 

Yeh, I remember. You weren't allowed to lean on the barrier until you were old enough :D  Scruffy little gits, I felt sorry for your family.
  • Jimmy Seed arrives back at his Bromley home after being sacked in 1956.

Note his overnight bag.
  • The East Terrace v Chelsea 27 December 1937.

"Only" 51,125 saw Charlton win 3 - 1.
    Did Adolf travel over from Munich that day to see the game?
    He’s definitely there……right in the front row in fact. 😏

Note his overnight bag.
    Class

Note his overnight bag.
    Another one for the badge history. Are there any other photos, showing that design being used anywhere?
  • edited June 21
    Not that old, well 31 years (and 4 stone) ago I think, and not sure if I’ve posted this before but this is a pic of a match between two teams made up of cafc staff and friends.
    All I remember is there was a massive thunder and lightning storm and I was thinking that metal walkway across the east terrace was a prime target for a lightning strike.

• Not that old, well 31 years (and 4 stone) ago I think, and not sure if I’ve posted this before but this is a pic of a match between two teams made up of cafc staff and friends.
    All I remember is there was a massive thunder and lightning storm and I was thinking that metal walkway across the east terrace was a prime target for a lightning strike.

A few old faces I recognise there. Used to play football with the guy (Mick) laying down at the front, he was a very good keeper. 
  • Ive not seen Nick for ages but used to drink with him post match in the Herbert. 
  • I find myself wondering about this section of the photograph.

How did the hut get there?  Does it flip flop as you walk from one end to the other? What was inside it? Who owned it? And as for the mystery sign with its hieroglyphics - what's it saying, to who and why?

• edited June 22
    I find myself wondering about this section of the photograph.

How did the hut get there?  Does it flip flop as you walk from one end to the other? What was inside it? Who owned it? And as for the mystery sign with its hieroglyphics - what's it saying, to who and why?

Don’t know about the hut, but the sign clearly says “The Valley Club”, so imagine it’s an advert / directional sign for the club?