Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

League 1 scores

Comments

• Plymouth 1-2 Accrington
    Shrewsbury 1-0 Peterborough 
  • mendonca said:
    We need an Oxford type of run soon for the playoffs. Impressive stuff from them.
    Decent manager that Robinson fella!
  • edited January 2021
    Some results went our favour. You can't overly obsess with them but upon a glance look fine. 

• mendonca said:
    Results went our favour. You can't overly obsess with them but upon a glance look fine. 

Mixed results

Hull won
    Doncaster beat Lincoln and are now 5 points ahead of us with 3 games in hand
    Oxford win
  • Think results were positive today. IMO Automatic promotion is unrealistic so pleased other teams dropped points. Think there’s 9 teams in the hunt for top 6, as long as three teams drop points then it’s good for us. 
  • edited January 2021
    Last season should have taught us a harsh lesson, which I thought our fans would have taken on board.

There really is no point predicting other teams results as if they are given. We got it so wrong with our predictions, aswell as Luton, Barnsley, Birmingham, Huddersfield from the post lockdown - final whistle for the season. 

Sadly, the only team that failed to deliver, was us. 
  • Oxford Tie have charged up the league looks like they are going to win their 7th win in a row up 1-0 against Fleetwood, 3 points behind us with a couple of games in hand.
    Oxford will burn out soon. All teams on a run like that do sooner or later.

I know, we did.  :neutral:

• no more room for error for us if we are to get into a promotion/play off spot .. there are a dozen teams who are well capable of getting into that vital top six .. we have been inconsistent and too timid far too often, we need to toughen up and really go for it in every game .. as ever, we will see
  • Sponsored links:

• Today has just emphasised that there are teams around us who, at the moment, look better & stronger than us. We have no chance getting automatic promotion & very unlikely to finish in the top 6 - and even then I think it will be 3 or 4 teams fighting for the last 2 places.

Nothing has made me change my mind that we will finish no higher than 8th.

Good news though is that it looks like Carlisle could be getting promoted out of league 2....and we all know what happens when we have them in our league 😉

Perspective is a funny thing, today, to me, has just emphasised that no one is that strong in this league and when fit and strong, as we are now becoming again, we are as good as anyone in this league. As such I see no reason we shouldn’t be at least in the play offs. 
  • If we perform to the ability we have as a squad we make the play offs , if we don’t we won’t , currently we are not performing to where we should be at but there’s plenty of time left .
  • Sage said:
    All ifs, buts, and maybes... let’s be honest. We have picked up 14 points in the last 12 games. It has been a poor run since the beginning of December.

However, if we had only picked up another 4 points out those 12, and goodness me we had enough opportunities to, we would be 4th and only 4 points off top.

Yes other teams have games in hand, but we all know those games in hand does not mean they win each of them.

We are only something like 3 points worse off after this amount of games than when we got promoted.

Yes we went on a fantastic run in the second half of that season. But when you look at what we have had to deal with just the club alone, taking out the world wide situation, that is pretty good going and more so when you consider most of us are disappointed we aren’t higher up in the league.

How much of a difference having us supporters in grounds getting behind the team back in 2018/19 we will never truly know or how to measure it. But I am pretty sure the support helped us earn a good amount of points. It makes a difference too.

We aren’t the side from 2 years ago. But that doesn’t mean that we can’t be successful this season. There are 21 games to go, almost half the season left. Writing us off would be foolish, just like saying we’re certain to get promoted.

It’s going to be tight and a lot of factors will play a part. But when we have a squad and team fit, and that will happen, we will be a match for any one in this division.

Perspective is needed, not delusion, or over optimism or pessimism. Perspective. 
    Agree with most of this. I feel however the wheels came off when we got spanked by Burton in November. It was like, immediately something was not right... I asked at the time what on earth all the alleged shape work was and still don't get what it was. 

I have concerns, but a win on Tuesday buys my support for a bit longer.
  • I hadn't realised that in the Doncaster Lincoln game, the Doncaster keeper saved 2 penalties! 
  • Sage said:
    All ifs, buts, and maybes... let’s be honest. We have picked up 14 points in the last 12 games. It has been a poor run since the beginning of December.

Perspective is needed, not delusion, or over optimism or pessimism. Perspective. 
    Although, @Sage , they are just the stats since our blistering '6-wins-on-the-spin' run.
    It's arbitrary where we pick stats to start from, depending on our agenda.

My perspective .......... We could just easily say that we've earned 8 points from the last 4 games. Or even 40 points from 25 games. :wink:

• edited January 2021
    Today has just emphasised that there are teams around us who, at the moment, look better & stronger than us. We have no chance getting automatic promotion & very unlikely to finish in the top 6 - and even then I think it will be 3 or 4 teams fighting for the last 2 places.

Nothing has made me change my mind that we will finish no higher than 8th.

Good news though is that it looks like Carlisle could be getting promoted out of league 2....and we all know what happens when we have them in our league 😉
    Obviously there are some teams who look better than us, that's why we're 7th. Doncaster and Oxford especially look better and are on great runs.

But only 3 sides in the entire top half of the table managed to win yesterday, so there are plenty of other sides faltering. Doncaster play 4 of the top 8 sides in their next 5 games though, so they could easily drop off a bit. 

All we can do is to put a little run of our own together and who knows what will happen. It's not like there's only 5-6 games left, there are still 21 games to go! I'm confident we can still finish top 6.
  • Oggy Red said:
    Sage said:

Although, @Sage , they are just the stats since our blistering '6-wins-on-the-spin' run.
    It's arbitrary where we pick stats to start from, depending on our agenda.

My perspective .......... We could just easily say that we’ve earned 8 points from the last 4 games . Or even 40 points from 25 games. :wink:

7 points from the last 4 games .. 8 from the last 5 games 😜
  • Lincoln win 3-0 away to Gillingham tonight.
  • Sponsored links:

Lincoln are the real deal. All this talk about them not lasting the pace is rubbish. They will go up I’m sure of it.
    Lincoln are the real deal. All this talk about them not lasting the pace is rubbish. They will go up I’m sure of it.
    11 points ahead of us and still have a game in hand.
  • edited February 2021
    Lincoln win 3-0 away to Gillingham tonight.
    Yeah I agree.. In a sense they're copying what Shrewsbury did a few years ago, only on that occasion they had a very strong Wigan AND Blackburn to content with

This year Id argue Hull are their only concern at the moment - the rest below them (I dont include us) arent consistent enough, certainly not as consistent as the two I mention above
  • 10 matches in L1 tomorrow, and a chance for many of our rivals to make up some of the backlog in games played. BUT how many will survive the weather?

Snow and zero/sub zero temperatures across the country. Hull play Lincoln at home and they presumably have undersoil heating, but the rest must be in doubt
  • Certainly anything in the East of the country will probably be affected, not sure anything West, North or South West will be. Looking at the fixtures Peterborough are at home so knowing their pitch then that could be off. Of our other promotion rivals, Sunderland are at Shrewsbury, Doncaster are at Fleetwood  & Oxford are at Bristol Rovers so I cant see any reason (apart from a frozen pitch) why they would be off. 
  • Bowyer will be delighted to have the week off. Apart from anything else, outdoors training will be impossible at the moment
    They may well be the real deal right now.

But they are a young, relatively inexperienced side - they might not last the course.

No such thing as 'sure' in football.

• Oggy Red said:

But they are a young, relatively inexperienced side - they might not last the course.

Definitely got a ‘Shrewsbury’ feel
    to them where a lot of people including myself wrote them off and gave them no hope of maintaining their form!
  • cafc_se7 said:
    Oggy Red said:

Definitely got a ‘Shrewsbury’ feel
    to them where a lot of people including myself wrote them off and gave them no hope of maintaining their form!
    Yeah, a squad that works well together and goes on a run, could have a good chance of being promoted.
    Team ethic and dressing room spirit gives them an edge.

Whether they can hold it all together with a young, relatively experienced side is the question.
    Especially with the nightmare congested fixture list to come - exhaustion, injuries to key players and inexperienced youngsters losing form could yet derail their season. That applies to all the promotion challengers, of course.

• Bowyer will be delighted to have the week off. Apart from anything else, outdoors training will be impossible at the moment
    He mentioned not being able to train the other week due to the weather but isn't there a perfectly usable 3G pitch at the training ground , I'm sure there is or is it liable to cause injuries or something , I can't work out why we wouldn't use it