Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

League 1 scores

Comments

• Sky just said the Swindon owner is having to put in £320k per month to keep the club going at moment. 
    That’s Lee Power/Powers who played for us in our first game back at The Valley......he almost scored too, in front of The South Stand, just failing to connect with an outstretched leg from a low hard cross that flew across the face of goal.
    Knew his dad Micky back in the 60’s......family originally from Deptford.
    You would also probably know his uncle then, Jim and his Mrs, Jeanie also out of Deptford. It was Lee Power for clarity.
  • Tight finish in store... 3-2 with three minutes of normal time left
    More goals. Not many 1-0's in this league.
  • cblock said:
    Sky just said the Swindon owner is having to put in £320k per month to keep the club going at moment. 
    That’s Lee Power/Powers who played for us in our first game back at The Valley......he almost scored too, in front of The South Stand, just failing to connect with an outstretched leg from a low hard cross that flew across the face of goal.
    Knew his dad Micky back in the 60’s......family originally from Deptford.
    You would also probably know his uncle then, Jim and his Mrs, Jeanie also out of Deptford. It was Lee Power for clarity.
    No I didn’t know any of them.....Micky was part of the Lewisham mod scene, so that’s how I knew him. 
  • edited January 2021
    1-0 Hull... Shocking from the Goalkeeper

Upon replay I've realised I've made a mistake... That was truly embarrassing, god forbid if Amos does something like that!!
  • The new Manager bounce appears to be working great for Sunderland at the moment...
  • Swindon win 3-2
    A hattrick of assists for Dominic Thompson on his debut. 

Only signed on loan from Brentford this week. 
  • Swindon win 3-2
    A hattrick of assists for Dominic Thompson on his debut. 

Only signed on loan from Brentford this week. 
    Seems his Father and his Brother have competed in Athletics...

Discuss?
  • edited January 2021
    The new Manager bounce appears to be working great for Sunderland at the moment...
    1-1 🤣

Some fella called Aiden McGeady
  • Ipswich are bang ordinary, I don't see then in the top 6
  • 1-0 Hull... Shocking from the Goalkeeper

Upon replay I've realised I've made a mistake... That was truly embarrassing, god forbid if Amos does something like that!!
    Jokes aside - I missed that the Sunderland Goalkeeper got a wack in the face when diving on a low ball early in the game - That happened before the goal, and given the way he behaved makes me wonder if he was a bit concussed!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Results really have gone our way with Sunderland and Hull drawing 1-1 today

I joked about it earlier but are Sunderland another reminder that a Managerial Change will make little difference and is why there needs to be greater emphasis on the mistakes that the players are making rather than Bowyer's decisions at the moment?

Brought Aiden McGeady back in from the cold who effectively saved them tonight but thats three Draws (Northampton, Hull, Wimbledon), one win (Lincoln), one defeat (Wigan) - So six points from Lee Johnson's first five games, Parkinson got six points in his last five games...
  • 2-1 Swindon!! - Watch it back if you can!!!!!
    My Sky Sports day pass expired, so missed that goal. 
    Starting to think I've severly underestimated the quality of league 1 this season?

For a team in 22nd they look very composed. I know Ipswich are hardly pressing but you wouldn't know Swindon are near the bottom..

Also out of the title race....have a word, we are 10 points off the top of the league...if we went on a mini run like 5 on the bounce we would probably be top, this league is wide open with 26 games to go 
    Starting to think I've severly underestimated the quality of league 1 this season?

For a team in 22nd they look very composed. I know Ipswich are hardly pressing but you wouldn't know Swindon are near the bottom..

Also out of the title race....have a word, we are 10 points off the top of the league...if we went on a mini run like 5 on the bounce we would probably be top, this league is wide open with 26 games to go 
    To finish in the top two we are probably going to need a bare minimum of 85 points. That means far more consistency and another 53 points in 26 games (for instance, 16 wins, 5 draws and 5 defeats).
    Doesn't seem likely to me. 

To finish in the top two we are probably going to need a bare minimum of 85 points. That means far more consistency and another 53 points in 26 games (for instance, 16 wins, 5 draws and 5 defeats).
    Doesn't seem likely to me. 
    Still possible though and I don't see another manager coming in and getting those points if Lee can't. Let's see where we are at the end of the month points and squad wise 
  • edited January 2021
    2-1 Swindon!! - Watch it back if you can!!!!!

You’re not the only one. There’s a lot of people on here that continue to underestimate this league, even though we have personal experience of how difficult it is to get out. The mindset of “we should be beating Accrington, Swindon, Burton” needs to stop and accept we’re in the same league this season and anyone can beat anyone. 

These teams have built sides that are close and are consistently starting a similar 11, they may not have the talent of our players (although Swindon’s third today argues that) but they are all tough to beat. 
  • We haven’t put a move together resulting in a goal all season like the Swindon one above, pure class.
  • We haven’t put a move together resulting in a goal all season like the Swindon one above, pure class.
    Yet we have done in every other season under Bowyer except this one, so is it the players or manager or a collective effort..
  • edited January 2021
    2-1 Swindon!! - Watch it back if you can!!!!!

You’re not the only one. There’s a lot of people on here that continue to underestimate this league, even though we have personal experience of how difficult it is to get out. The mindset of “we should be beating Accrington, Swindon, Burton” needs to stop and accept we’re in the same league this season and anyone can beat anyone. 

These teams have built sides that are close and are consistently starting a similar 11, they may not have the talent of our players (although Swindon’s third today argues that) but they are all tough to beat. 
    Yep, I keep seeing posts about the quality of our team and I do think it's rather biased and you can make it sound just as bad as good.

Amos - Championship reject, couldn't get a sniff at Millwall

Matthews - Sunderland reject, couldn't get a championship offer

Gunter - Over the hill, lost his starting place for Wales and released by what was a previously an average championship outfit

Innis - Never had a good season, only played 7 games for us

Watson - Again over the hill, can pretend it was a statement of intent but if he was genuinely good a club in a better position would have picked him up ditto Matthews and Gunter

JFC - always flattered to deceive

Gilbey - keep seeing POTY, yes for a crap team

Aneke - Slow, got some techs but overrall not on the same level as a Lyle Taylor or Clarke Harris type

Purrington - second choice left back at Rotherham...

Maddison - decent left peg and probably deserves more game time but ultimately he couldn't get a game for a relegated Hull and has been avoided by many other clubs.

I could go on, you can spin it either way. It happens every time we are in this league, 'our squad is the best in the league' on yesterday's showing Bishop, Nottingham and Pritchard all walk into our squad, that's just one team, I think every game I've watched I see at least one player on the other team that would vastly improve us, Fraser for MK, Whiteman for Doncaster, Piggy at Wimbledon. A club with one of the best teams in the league shouldn't need that much strengthening. 
    Yet we have done in every other season under Bowyer except this one, so is it the players or manager or a collective effort..
    We've used too many players in too many different positions - 29 different players have occupied the 10 outfield positions. 

No team will ever gain any sort of consistency or coherence with the number of changes we've made, Injuries have played a part but how are players meant to develop an understanding when not just the personnel changes wholesale, on a week to week basis, but also the shape and formation too. 

When we went up as Champions under SCP everyone knew what their position and roles were. We could name our likely starting line up week in week out and if a CB got injured then a CB would come in. These were the players with the most League starts:

Hamer (41)
    Solly (44)
    Taylor (38)
    Morrison (45)
    Wiggins (45)
    Green (25)
    Hollands (43)
    Stephens (28)
    Jackson (35)
    Kermogant (33)
    Wright-Phillips (41)

The only other players to start 10 or more games were Wagstaff (19), Cort (10), Hayes (12) and Pritchard (10). So that's a core of 15 players who only failed to start in 37 out of 502 games between them. And we achieved a record 101 points.

Compare that to the most starts this season to date:

Amos (20)
    Gunter (16)
    Pratley (18)
    Famewo (8)
    Maatsen (13)
    Watson (14)
    Gilbey (8)
    Shinnie (9)
    Foster-Caskey (11)
    Washington (16)
    Bogle (11) 

The next 4 players are Morgan (7), Doughty (7), Purrington (7) and Matthews (7). So, after just 20 games, that 15 has already missed between them 48 starts between them!

In the 2011/12 season we did, on occasions, change formations, But for the most part it was the same. However, I don't recall Solly ever at LB or Wiggins at RB. Because you don't need to over complicate things for the sake of doing so.

• Surprised to see Sunderland draw.

In 2.5 seasons in league one that was their 29th 1-1 draw!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Sunderland sit 10th having lost the least amount (3) of games in the league so far
    and they’ve let in the least amount of goals (15) same as Pompey .
  • We play Rochdale this week, they came back from 3-0 down to get a draw with Crewe.

• iaitch said:
    We play Rochdale this week, they came back from 3-0 down to get a draw with Crewe.

And are currently in the relegation zone with 2 wins in their last 13 matches 

A draw will be a great point for us 
  • Oh dear, large bet on Rochdale then!!
    We've used too many players in too many different positions - 29 different players have occupied the 10 outfield positions. 

No team will ever gain any sort of consistency or coherence with the number of changes we've made, Injuries have played a part but how are players meant to develop an understanding when not just the personnel changes wholesale, on a week to week basis, but also the shape and formation too. 

When we went up as Champions under SCP everyone knew what their position and roles were. We could name our likely starting line up week in week out and if a CB got injured then a CB would come in. These were the players with the most League starts:

Hamer (41)
    Solly (44)
    Taylor (38)
    Morrison (45)
    Wiggins (45)
    Green (25)
    Hollands (43)
    Stephens (28)
    Jackson (35)
    Kermogant (33)
    Wright-Phillips (41)

The only other players to start 10 or more games were Wagstaff (19), Cort (10), Hayes (12) and Pritchard (10). So that's a core of 15 players who only failed to start in 37 out of 502 games between them. And we achieved a record 101 points.

Amos (20)
    Gunter (16)
    Pratley (18)
    Famewo (8)
    Maatsen (13)
    Watson (14)
    Gilbey (8)
    Shinnie (9)
    Foster-Caskey (11)
    Washington (16)
    Bogle (11) 

The next 4 players are Morgan (7), Doughty (7), Purrington (7) and Matthews (7). So, after just 20 games, that 15 has already missed between them 48 starts between them!

In the 2011/12 season we did, on occasions, change formations, But for the most part it was the same. However, I don't recall Solly ever at LB or Wiggins at RB. Because you don't need to over complicate things for the sake of doing so.

What are the starts of his 18/19 promotion side? Bowyer was pretty consistent picking the same side that season as far as I remember, in the championship he played the same players as long as they were fit? 

If he had 11 genuine good players that could play 90 minutes consistently I'm sure he would put out the same team. As it stands a handful of our players are either inexperienced, injury prone or not up to playing the full game so he doesn't trust starting them 

Hamer (41)
    Solly (44)
    Taylor (38)
    Morrison (45)
    Wiggins (45)
    Green (25)
    Hollands (43)
    Stephens (28)
    Jackson (35)
    Kermogant (33)
    Wright-Phillips (41)

Amos (20)
    Gunter (16)
    Pratley (18)
    Famewo (8)
    Maatsen (13)
    Watson (14)
    Gilbey (8)
    Shinnie (9)
    Foster-Caskey (11)
    Washington (16)
    Bogle (11) 

Such a great post. 

What also doesn't make sense is Bowyers  mantra over the past couple of seasons about having 2 players for every position.....and then plays Matthews at left back when there is Purrington fit & ready to go. Same goes for Oshilaja when he decides to put Pratley and Gunter at centre half. 
  • edited January 2021
    Currently Wimbledon 0-1 Sunderland

Down to 8th as things stand
  • Sunderland got a 2nd
  • 3 for sunderland!
  • Hattrick for Wyke