Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post match views: Charlton vs Walsall

Comments

• Options

Thoroughly enjoyed the second half after growing very frustrated with our first half tippy tappy. It really could have been six or seven and Mav, Fosu, Marshall, Aribo and Dasilva when they are all firing at once is a joy to behold. The defence needs sorting. Lennon to his credit never let his head drop but doesn’t look top end league 1 level to me. Konsa was pretty solid and Solly did ok although he stood off his man badly for their goal allowing the cross to come in. Reeves I’m afraid continues to disappoint and I don’t understand some of the marks on the other thread.

As a by the way, Mrs SB who has zero interest in football adopts abandoned pets from time to time so we have a steady flow of hamsters, guinea pigs and rabbits. We collected a guinea pig and a hamster yesterday called Ted and Nigel respectively. I explained before I left for the footy that Nigel would need to be renamed and lost her about five minutes into the explanation. I returned home in an unusually good mood to hear that she has renamed the hamster “Solly” at which point I burst into the appropriate song and was immediately told to leave. Apparently Solly is a character from one of her favourite books but I’m not having that. I think she secretly knows. At least that’s what I’m choosing to think. Nigel remains to be renamed. I suggested Fosu and was asked to leave again. Just thought I’d share on this cold cheerless Sunday.

She knows.
    She told me.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

Oh, and their centre half with the long hair. Serious crap. No pace and won very little.

Great finish for our second though
  • Options
    The best performance by Marshall I have seen.
  • Options
    marshall is a decent winger - put him one on one against a full back, he will beat his player and get a decent cross in more often than not
  • Options
    good win that, and a run of winnable games coming up, including some teams around us rotherham being the one that sticks out as a definate chance to put a bit of breathing space between us and the chasing pack. 54 points up for grabs still so until its not mathematically possible i wont rule anything out.

the next 5 are;

blackpool a
    oxford h
    doncaster a
    bradford h
    mk dons a

3 wins
    1 draw
    1 loss

is what i can see from them games if we play how we did on saturday.
  • Options

good win that, and a run of winnable games coming up, including some teams around us rotherham being the one that sticks out as a definate chance to put a bit of breathing space between us and the chasing pack. 54 points up for grabs still so until its not mathematically possible i wont rule anything out.

the next 5 are;

blackpool a
    oxford h
    doncaster a
    bradford h
    mk dons a

3 wins
    1 draw
    1 loss

Who do you see beating us? - Be surprised if we dont lose one of those yet not sure who it might be myself... Bradford I reckon wont take three points from the Valley
  • Options

the next 5 are;

blackpool a
    oxford h
    doncaster a
    bradford h
    mk dons a

3 wins
    1 draw
    1 loss

Who do you see beating us? - Be surprised if we dont lose one of those yet not sure who it might be myself... Bradford I reckon wont take three points from the Valley
    Probably the first one, knowing our Charlton...
  • Options
    I enjoyed that and proud that despite what’s going this young team are just getting

The best performance by Marshall I have seen.

Said they same on Saturday, was my mom
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

the next 5 are;

blackpool a
    oxford h
    doncaster a
    bradford h
    mk dons a

3 wins
    1 draw
    1 loss

oxford, mk dons, doncaster the 3 wins
    blackpool the draw
    bradford the loss
  • Options
    If we have Fosu, Mavididi and Marshall in the side then we certainly won't be lacking pace and players who can get past an opponent. We looked a completely different side at times on Saturday and for the first time in ages exciting to watch.
  • Options

Enjoyed that . Two teams who wanted to play football.
    Could have been 8-5 .
    Mavididi and Fosu were superb .
    Ricky who ?

Ricky Holmes. The man who marked his Sheff Utd debut by sitting on the subs bench all game.

Get used to it, Ricky.
    He'll no doubt console himself counting his £500K pa wages. I bet he's really gutted.
  • Options
    Bradford will beat us, it's a Tuesday night at The Valley, we don't turn up for midweek home games!
  • Options

Bradford will beat us, it's a Tuesday night at The Valley, we don't turn up for midweek home games!

Dunno we turned up last time we played Bradford on a Tuesday Night... that one finished 1-1 and was a typical case last season of being unable to find away past them
  • Options

the next 5 are;

blackpool a
    oxford h
    doncaster a
    bradford h
    mk dons a

3 wins
    1 draw
    1 loss

Biggest threat there imo is Doncaster away

Blackpool , Oxford, Franchise and Bradford are all in bad form. Might be a bit optimistic by me but I reckon we don't lose any of those and gain an 11 point return minimum
  • Options

the next 5 are;

blackpool a
    oxford h
    doncaster a
    bradford h
    mk dons a

3 wins
    1 draw
    1 loss

Blackpool , Oxford, Franchise and Bradford are all in bad form. Might be a bit optimistic by me but I reckon we don't lose any of those and gain an 11 point return minimum
    Oxford and MK Dons could be a threat too

Doncaster were a good side when they visited the Valley and maybe deserved a point, Oxford the same appear to be a right nuisance going by the last three results.

MK Dons were pants at the Valley yet I never like going to Stadium:MK!!
  • Options

the next 5 are;

blackpool a
    oxford h
    doncaster a
    bradford h
    mk dons a

3 wins
    1 draw
    1 loss

Doncaster were a good side when they visited the Valley and maybe deserved a point, Oxford the same appear to be a right nuisance going by the last three results.

MK Franchise are still in the FA Cup and home to Coventry in round 4 and If they win that our league game will be off as it's round 5 on weekend of 16 Feb.
  • Options

Reeves, other than one clever bit of play, was very anonymous, it's not the first time he's been substituted early and the team improved.

I thought we looked vulnerable for a while when he went off
    I thought Walsall looked vulnerable when Reeves went off and Fosu came on.
  • Options
    Blucher said:

A good quality and entertaining game by League 1 standards and one that was turned by the introduction of Fosu and his attacking verve shortly after half time.

I thought that we started well and deserved the lead following a very good cross by Marshall and cushioned volley by Joe Aribo. Malvidivi’s cracking shot against the bar after being set up by Aribo almost made it 2-0 but Walsall moved the ball quickly and always looked dangerous. Solly was struggling against their speedy winger, Tyler Roberts, and generally down that side and a fine cross was nodded in shortly before half time by the game’s outstanding performer, Ehran Oztumer.

The second half was a very open game and I thought that Walsall were probably the better side for the first 20 minutes or so. Konsa got Harry Lennon out of gaol after the latter was hideously dispossessed just outside our area and Ben Amos made a very good save from one of their guys who got a good clean strike from a left wing cross. Walsall’s refreshingly attacking approach left us space to exploit and Fosu and Maldividi started to terrorise their back four, as we finally got up a head of steam. Magennis hit the post after a good header from a corner and then missed badly from a fairly central position. We got our noses in front when Da Silva intercepted a dangerous ball in the centre circle, danced past a player or two and laid a lovely ball into Malvididi’s path, the ball eventually being poked past his own goalie by their central defender (another Roberts). Marshall blasted a ball over after Malvididi left two defenders for dead by the touchline, Fosu forced a good save from the goalie (Roberts number 3), who then somehow kept the ball out following another set play.

Just as experienced Charlton watchers were clenching their buttocks for the traditional late onslaught, Malvididi went through, turned their defenders inside out and eased home the third - cue an enormous and quite unprecedented queue outside the North Stand Bar for the Heineken’s free pint promotion (I bet, like Hoover’s free flights to the United States in the early 90s, that is one bet they never thought they’d have to pay out on). There are parts of my anatomy that I would not wash in Heineken but my principles are flimsy and I settled for a free pint of John Smiths (a brew almost as bad, but a freebie’s a freebie).

I thought we looked a little vulnerable at the back and could do with Bauer’s experience and calmness in central defence. Chris Solly looked a bit rusty but hopefully he’ll get back to full fitness and sharpness; if not, we know that Dijksteel is an able deputy. Da Silva - in my view, our player of the season so far - was his normal excellent self and is one of our most dangerous attacking players.

Aribo showed some good touches in midfield and I thought that Marshall had one of his best games at The Valley. Magennis had a better game, winning some good flick ons in the air and was unlucky with his header against the post, but should have done better in the second half with a very good chance. Scoring goals is the hardest job on the field but it is his job. Malvididi, drifting in at times to play as a second striker, was very dangerous throughout and his strength and pace really wore Walsall’s defence down. Fosu’s Introduction proved a game changer and his speed and dribbling prowess turned the game decisively our way.

All in all, an excellent afternoon’s entertainment and a very welcome distraction from some of the current off the field nonsense. Credit to Walsall for coming with a positive attitude and to Oztumer for a really outstanding individual performance. Quite why no one has snapped him up after 25 goals from midfield in the last season and a half is a bit of a mystery to me.

Great summary as usual.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Watched the full game on Valley Pass - Walsall set up to nullify Reeves and pressure Solly, it worked for periods of the game, but it seemed to create space for Marshall, Mav and Mag - They set up all wrong.

As soon as Fosu came on he rinsed them time and time again and clicked so well with Mav that the contest was almost immediately over when he came on.
  • Options

the next 5 are;

blackpool a
    oxford h
    doncaster a
    bradford h
    mk dons a

3 wins
    1 draw
    1 loss

Bloody typical I've bought my tickets for Doncaster and we're going to lose.
    Story of my luck recently
  • Options

I was mascot for that last season!!!
  • Options

the next 5 are;

blackpool a
    oxford h
    doncaster a
    bradford h
    mk dons a

3 wins
    1 draw
    1 loss

Oxford results not great, just sacked manager. Could have a rough second half of season, ditto MK Dons. Blackpool is Blackpool, we know how much they've been through and Bradford are on a very bad run with a lot of fans calling for a change up. Again I know its very optimistic but I think the timing is right, we are on a little win streak and facing sides who are well out of form and we have a couple of new signings in time for the games. I'm hopeful that by the end of March we will be a solidified play off side.

My biggest concern is the end of the season, we have Pompey away, Blackburn at home and Scunthorpe at home. Those games could and probably will be massive for us.
  • Options

the next 5 are;

blackpool a
    oxford h
    doncaster a
    bradford h
    mk dons a

3 wins
    1 draw
    1 loss

Bloody typical I've bought my tickets for Doncaster and we're going to lose.
    Story of my luck recently
    If it means anything, I'm taking the other half to this one as it's not too far for us and she has a 100% record watching Charlton. Wigan first home game of the season under Bob Peeters 2-1 and this season Rotherham away 2-0.
  • Options

the next 5 are;

blackpool a
    oxford h
    doncaster a
    bradford h
    mk dons a

3 wins
    1 draw
    1 loss

Oxford results not great, just sacked manager. Could have a rough second half of season, ditto MK Dons. Blackpool is Blackpool, we know how much they've been through and Bradford are on a very bad run with a lot of fans calling for a change up. Again I know its very optimistic but I think the timing is right, we are on a little win streak and facing sides who are well out of form and we have a couple of new signings in time for the games. I'm hopeful that by the end of March we will be a solidified play off side.

My biggest concern is the end of the season, we have Pompey away, Blackburn at home and Scunthorpe at home. Those games could and probably will be massive for us.
    It's possible that we will be safe in the playoff positions by the time we reach the Blackburn game anyway.
  • Options

the next 5 are;

blackpool a
    oxford h
    doncaster a
    bradford h
    mk dons a

3 wins
    1 draw
    1 loss

It's possible that we will be safe in the playoff positions by the time we reach the Blackburn game anyway.
    Of course, but let's say if Bradford get back on it and Peterborough and Rotherham carry on getting results we will be in a proper scrap potentially.

Out of the promotion contenders we have left to face it's Peterborough, Rotherham, Blackburn, Portsmouth, Bradford, Blackburn, Shrewsbury and Scunthorpe. I think the timing is very good for our remaining fixtures and I'm predicting we finish 5th. Wigan champs, Blackburn runners up. Shrewsbury third, Scunthorpe 4th us 5th and Rotherham 6th.
  • Options

the next 5 are;

blackpool a
    oxford h
    doncaster a
    bradford h
    mk dons a

3 wins
    1 draw
    1 loss

Id want us to be safe in them by then!!

Hopefully by that stage Blackburn wont need the win to either get promoted or take the title