Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post match views: Charlton vs Walsall

Comments

• Options
    Redhenry said:

Great performance, looks like Lennon, and Marshall are the new whipping boysI thought the both did well.

The former did a great long pass out of Defence for Magennis' first chance which was saved and went for a corner
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

Bullet points:

- Fosu is the absolute key to our season now. We looked aeons better in attack with him on the field. He can beat a man and caused endless problems.

- People will remember Magennis for that admittedly horrible one on one miss, but my word he made it difficult for their centre backs (especially the bloke who ended up scoring the OG). He needs a goal, desperately. He also probably needs a rest - but who replaces him?

- Kashi was understated and played really well. Couple of great blocks in the second half in particular. Aribo alongside was also instrumental.

- Marshall was willing. Don't think the defence liked playing against him much. Should have buried that chance though - as bad a miss as Magennis' miss.

- Reeves is immensely frustrating. He did a couple of excellent bits of skill, but he's clearly used to being the focal point and now he isn't, it's a bit off-putting for him.

- Mavididi has a something that players literally cannot defend against and that is his ridiculous acceleration over around 20 yards. Coupled with skill and confidence, and we have a real player on our hands! Played very well today.

- KAG/JJ not on for long enough to say much about.

- Amos... Well, he couldn't do anything about their goal, and otherwise was basically a passenger, except for one good reflex save second half.

- Lennon made up for the horrendous mistake with a couple of crucial blocks when they got round the back of us. Konsa was good - think their striker (Bakayoko) caused him a few problems, but he managed it well.

- Solly good; Dasilva great. One thing I will say is how Solly manages his game - he was still energetic at the end, and that's very smart. Dasilva is just class.

--------------------------

- Robbo has his attack the way he likes it. We play MUCH better as a team without Ricky Holmes, too. We should've scored about 2 more goals at least.

- Nice to hear We Want Roland Out!

- We have a genuine chance if we can maintain attacking like that for the rest of the season.

COYR!

YES TO ALL OF THIS. Yes especially to those points bolded. And double yeses (or are we at triple yeses now?) to the points about Magennis and the Roland Out chant!
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Look what happens when you play 4-4-2

Was it 4-4-2? Watching the stream Mavididi played deeper and out wide, I assumed it was the usual 4-2-31.
    Mav spent a lot of the time level with mag with the two central midfielders pushing up more level with the wingers. Fosu snd mav kept swapping positions. For the first hour it looks 4-4-2 to me
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Scoham said:

Look what happens when you play 4-4-2

Was it 4-4-2? Watching the stream Mavididi played deeper and out wide, I assumed it was the usual 4-2-31.
    No 4-2-3-1, but there was more fluidity with the attacking three, similar to how we started the season.

Started:
    Solly Konsa Lennon DaSilva
    ........Aribo.....Kashi
    Marshall Reeves Stephy
    ............Mag

Then went:
    Reeves Stephy Marshall
    .........Mag

But Mag was dropping deep and letting Stephy run in behind him. It was really effective (see the second goal) as it gave Mag more space and let Stephy use his pace. We've desperately missed those "out to in" runs where a player started wider/inside left and looks to get in behind the defense. And we continued that throughout the second half.

Once Fosu came on it was:
    Marshall Stephy Fosu
    ............Mag

But again, more fluidity and interchanging. Really good movement. Mag sometimes dropped deep with Stephy going up front. Fosu sometimes came inside to the 10 role with Stephy pulling out wider. We gave them a terrible time in the second half.
    Are you telling me that KR actually got his tactics spot on today? Blimey!
  • Options
    Just got home so pwr.
    3 wins on the trot and a decent performance.
    Mavadidi looks quality and Fosu made a difference when he came on.
    We seem to have more options going forward without Holmes as everyone is now involved.
    If we can avoid any more injuries and Josh can find some form there is no reason why we cannot make the playoffs.
    Having a pint after the game and SEB even came in crossbars and done the worm,so even the aftermatch entertainment was good.

Now Roland just sell the club.
    COYR
  • Options
    Great 2nd half. Mavidid, Marshall and Fosu all did very well.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

Bullet points:

- Fosu is the absolute key to our season now. We looked aeons better in attack with him on the field. He can beat a man and caused endless problems.

- People will remember Magennis for that admittedly horrible one on one miss, but my word he made it difficult for their centre backs (especially the bloke who ended up scoring the OG). He needs a goal, desperately. He also probably needs a rest - but who replaces him?

- Kashi was understated and played really well. Couple of great blocks in the second half in particular. Aribo alongside was also instrumental.

- Marshall was willing. Don't think the defence liked playing against him much. Should have buried that chance though - as bad a miss as Magennis' miss.

- Reeves is immensely frustrating. He did a couple of excellent bits of skill, but he's clearly used to being the focal point and now he isn't, it's a bit off-putting for him.

- Mavididi has a something that players literally cannot defend against and that is his ridiculous acceleration over around 20 yards. Coupled with skill and confidence, and we have a real player on our hands! Played very well today.

- Amos... Well, he couldn't do anything about their goal, and otherwise was basically a passenger, except for one good reflex save second half.

- Lennon made up for the horrendous mistake with a couple of crucial blocks when they got round the back of us. Konsa was good - think their striker (Bakayoko) caused him a few problems, but he managed it well.

- Solly good; Dasilva great. One thing I will say is how Solly manages his game - he was still energetic at the end, and that's very smart. Dasilva is just class.

- Robbo has his attack the way he likes it. We play MUCH better as a team without Ricky Holmes, too. We should've scored about 2 more goals at least.

- We have a genuine chance if we can maintain attacking like that for the rest of the season.

COYR!

Yes yes that's all very well but what about the lemon drizzle cake?
  • Options
    AshBurton said:

PaddyP17 said:

Bullet points:

COYR!

Yes yes that's all very well but what about the lemon drizzle cake?
    In a hard-fought contest, it was Lemon Drizzle 3-2 Bread Pudding, I'd say!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Very entertaining, especially second half. Fosu was brilliant both in play and at dead ball scenarios. Mav also a constant threat. Both those two make you think something will happen.

Shame Pearce and Bauer injured, as with those 2 fit a charge for second could have been on.

Their number 10 was like a "league 1 Hazard". Tremendous to watch.

In case it was missed above he was at our academy for 8 years, great little player reminded me of shaqiri.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Another point on Mav - you could see how worried he made their defenders by the own goal for their second. Brilliant turn and strength by him leads to their defender doing anything to get a toe to it - scoring a lovely own goal in the process
  • Options
    Posting without going ... Chuffed
  • Options
    bellz2002 said:

We could have had 6 or 7. Very pleased with Mavadidi. Seems another great player produced by Arsenal.

Until the last part of the game, I wasn't comfortable as our defence wasn't great. Again far too much slow sideways and backwards passing.

MOM was Oztumer in my opinion. Great little player. How he was allowed to head in that goal I have no idea.

Overall, pleased with the amount of chances we created but bloody hell we need more composure! We're not out of the woods yet but a 3rd straight win and can't moan about that.

Oztumer is a player we should have bought. He ran the show in the same fixture last season.
  • Options
    Oztumer who was brilliant again today was born in Greenwich and was in our under 16 team. Probably let go as being too small. Crazy decision.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erhun_Oztumer
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I wonder if Jack Munns, a similarly-sized player with good feet and passing range, will have a similar career path?
  • Options
    Anyway, the best thing about today was that we had a swarm of players who could beat their man, pass in confined spaces and terrify defenders. Nobody will enjoy playing against that, if deployed fully
  • Options

One Lifer will be especially tonight, having cleaned up on Valley Gold. Bloody Brexiteer too :-)

Should pay him out in Euros
  • Options
    Sounds a good win and a nice bit form at the moment in challenging circumstances. Hopefully it continues next week.

Roland Out.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Great team performance today, and possibly reflects that our ex-star player isn’t part of it and isnt our one and only game plan. Fosu and Marshall on the two wings were great to watch, Magennis’s best performance for a while imo and probably reflects the fact he has got somebody up there to work with now. Yes, his one on one attempt was pathetic but the header against the post was old school mag and he was unlucky. If I’ve got one criticism of him it is his head looks like it drops too often and even if that’s probably because he’s totally knackered he needs to keep it up at all times and let the defenders think he’s still raring to do some damage - keep them on the back foot and defending, not thinking they’ve got him in their back-pockets and can push forward. DaSilva is different class. I like reeves, definitely under rated and under appreciated at the moment but that will change. Kashi is Kashi, enough said. Konsa reasonably solid and still a great prospect but managed, IMO, to do enough to put a doubt in any potential PL scouts notes. Hopefully we can hang on to him until the end of the season. That was a lovely taking one for the team tackle (?) by rock solid Solly I thought. Lennon is still learning but one lesson I think he has got to master asap is concentration. As for that constant back passing when there is nowhere to go, if Amos and our two central defenders are the ones dictating our play it only allows the opposition to push up further and push us back. Pass it down the middle, we have the players who can turn a marker if they are too tight on them, or better still kick it up to Magennis and Mavadidi
  • Options
    There was a moment in the first half as well where a player nearly nicked the ball off Lennon's toe - he just seemed very lethargic and uncomfortable on the ball today
  • Options
    Well well we’ll

- started brightly, then got too relaxed in 1st half.

- Solly and Reeves not great, imo

- lots of fluidity in terms of positions among the front 4/s

- fosu! Fosu! FOSU!

- Mavididi v strong, yet sometimes not quite with it.

- Marshall mostly solid, but a couple of crap shots will get the headlines

- Kashi and Aribo mostly solid, but a couple of rash moments may get headlines

- josh solid, but his unconverted chance or two will add to the millstone around his neck

9 points off autos, 2 points clear of 7th.
    All to play for with 17 to go.

COYR!

• Options
    Absolute joy watching so many young players in a charlton shirt and providing great entertainment.I think this was the best game at the Valley this season,with Walsall playing their part with some excellent football.Respect to the boycotters for their stance,but you are definately missing out if this form continues.
  • Options
    Yeah the ref was quite good. Could have maybe even booked Fosu for going down, but he was off balance so benefit of doubt. Certainly not a penalty