Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Billy clarkes season is over

124»

Comments

• JamesSeed said:

I just had a look at five first team squads from the top of League One, using the clubs' own websites.

Team ~~~~~~~~~ GK~~~DEF~~~MID~~~FOR~~~TOTAL
    Charlton~~~~~~~~2~~~~~9~~~~~10~~~~2~~~~~23
    Wigan~~~~~~~~~~6~~~~~9~~~~~13~~~~5~~~~~33
    Shrewsbury~~~~~~4~~~~~7~~~~~10~~~~8~~~~~29
    Scunthorpe~~~~~~3~~~~~8~~~~~10~~~~9~~~~~30
    Blackburn~~~~~~~3~~~~~9~~~~~~8~~~~5~~~~~25

Our forwards roster includes Billy Clarke who is really a midfielder, a number 10 at a stretch. Other than Blackburn, the other squads are WAY bigger than ours. It's not even close.

Interesting to see, I assume they are just players with squad numbers? No chance Wigan have 6 Laague 1 quality goalkeepers for example.

How many have made an appearance? How many career appearances have the squads made in total and on average per player? How experienced are the squads in terms of age as well as appearances? Not asking you to find out but some clubs may just give every u23 player a squad number.
  • why has wigan got 6 goalkeepers?

Well it seems to have worked. They haven't let many goals in.
  • JamesSeed said:

I just had a look at five first team squads from the top of League One, using the clubs' own websites.

Our forwards roster includes Billy Clarke who is really a midfielder, a number 10 at a stretch. Other than Blackburn, the other squads are WAY bigger than ours. It's not even close.

I used to remember looking at the Charlton programme and seeing every player on the books listed. Didn’t mean it was a “squad” of players all with a realistic chance of playing. Perhaps Wigan have but I doubt Shrewsbury’s and Scunthorpe have a realistic squad any better than ours.
  • Ouch.. Player of the season so far for me
  • edited December 2017
    JamesSeed said:

I definitely, definitely appreciate the nerdiness and hard work that went in to this. I think there's a big question of how up to date these are, and more importantly, what constitutes "first team." looking at Wigan's Keepers, I suspect that includes youth players, players on loan, or both.

Looking at defense and midfield and we're pretty much bang average. We're obviously short one keeper, which we knew and tried to get another one in. But we're in that sort of weird limbo where we think Phillips will be good enough but he's not quite there so we don't want to spend too heavily on that position or stunt his growth.

And then we're short up front, which again we knew.

Obviously just because we know things doesn't make them good. But to me this really shows that we're short two up front and a goalkeeper.
  • holy s**t. We are fecked. Not just with Clarke's injury, but losing JFC for a few games, along with Holmes, Kashi & Fosu we don't have a midfield. I rate Aribo but he can't fill 4 places by himself and I really can't see any of the other fringe players being good enough over the next 4 or 5 games to get any points by the time a few players are back.

There goes our season. Best we can hope is a mid table finish & just hope, pray & bribe someone to make sure we don't get sucked into the bottom half as we don't have the mental & physical strength to survive another relegation battle.

Yes, it is that serious.

Let's hope not.
    With a bit of luck I'm hoping for us to get drawn into a relegation battle and for us to survive on the last day of the season.
    That would really give me something to look forward to.
  • We're clearly short in numbers up front (not helped by loaning out 4 strikers and selling 2 more in the summer), but these days it's really hard to classify players, compared to the old days of 442

In a 4-2-3-1 are the 3 behind the centre forward midfielders or attackers?
    In a 4-3-3, is that team really playing with 3 strikers, or in reality is it more 2 wide attacking midfielders, with 1 central striker.

Emergency loans are still allowable for keepers, so for that position it's less necessary to have 3 or 4

• SDAddick said:

JamesSeed said:

I definitely, definitely appreciate the nerdiness and hard work that went in to this. I think there's a big question of how up to date these are, and more importantly, what constitutes "first team." looking at Wigan's Keepers, I suspect that includes youth players, players on loan, or both.

Looking at defense and midfield and we're pretty much bang average. We're obviously short one keeper, which we knew and tried to get another one in. But we're in that sort of weird limbo where we think Phillips will be good enough but he's not quite there so we don't want to spend too heavily on that position or stunt his growth.

And then we're short up front, which again we knew.

Obviously just because we know things doesn't make them good. But to me this really shows that we're short two up front and a goalkeeper.
    Yup, it's just we have all this injuries in midfield. Any more and we're doooooomed!
  • We're clearly short in numbers up front (not helped by loaning out 4 strikers and selling 2 more in the summer), but these days it's really hard to classify players, compared to the old days of 442

In a 4-2-3-1 are the 3 behind the centre forward midfielders or attackers?
    In a 4-3-3, is that team really playing with 3 strikers, or in reality is it more 2 wide attacking midfielders, with 1 central striker.

Emergency loans are still allowable for keepers, so for that position it's less necessary to have 3 or 4

Excellent points. Are Clarke/Fosu/Holmes midfielders or forwards?
  • JamesSeed said:

We do have Dodoo, though not sure if he counts. And Best as well. Neither of these are on the OS website squad list. The other teams shown above may also have additional players who aren't on the OS?

Very good research. Thanks for that.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited December 2017
    JamesSeed said:

We do have Dodoo, though not sure if he counts. And Best as well. Neither of these are on the OS website squad list. The other teams shown above may also have additional players who aren't on the OS?

Interesting. This link shows the number of players clubs have used this season https://transfermarkt.com/jumplist/eingesetztespieler/wettbewerb/GB3

So, despite having only a 'squad' of 23 we've used 25 players. Blackburn have used 24, Wigan and Scunthorpe have used 23 and Shrewsbury just 21.
  • JamesSeed said:

Interesting. This link shows the number of players clubs have used this season https://transfermarkt.com/jumplist/eingesetztespieler/wettbewerb/GB3

So, despite having only a 'squad' of 23 we've used 25 players. Blackburn have used 24, Wigan and Scunthorpe have used 23 and Shrewsbury just 21.
    I used the first team squad list on the OS. We've also used Lapslie, for example, from the youth team.
    Best is also not on the OS squad list, as he's a stop gap signing I guess.
  • Ilkay Gundogan did his ACL and took part in this really good article about his recovery which I read a while ago.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/20/sports/soccer/manchester-city-ilkay-gundogan-injury.html

It's a bit of a long one but I remember it being very interesting.
  • edited December 2017
    I agree with JS that Lapslie (and Djiksteel) may mean that our injured players are not missed. However I do not think we have the individuals to keep 4-2-3-1 even if Josh plays wide.

4-3-3 AD/JA/GL midfield. KAG/Best/Mag up top. And please Sarr not Pearce.
  • edited December 2017
    Pearce is now out and having a scan on his knee to see what the damage is.

This just gets worse and worse...

I believe the team that started the first game of the season looked like:
    Amos
    Solly Bauer Pearce Dasilva
    Kashi Forster-Caskey
    Fosu Clarke Holmes
    Novak

Now, Bauer, Pearce, Kashi, Forster-Caskey, Fosu, Clarke, Holmes are all injured. Novak left at the end of August. Solly's knee is still being managed. Dasilva's competition has been out for practically a year.

What other club, especially in League One, is going to have success when essentially the team you put out on the first day of the season, is completely different to the team you put out just before Christmas?!
  • Ilkay Gundogan did his ACL and took part in this really good article about his recovery which I read a while ago.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/20/sports/soccer/manchester-city-ilkay-gundogan-injury.html

It's a bit of a long one but I remember it being very interesting.

Got a lot of time for him. A wonderfully gifted (and in my opinion underrated) player who comes across as very bright. I hadn't seen this, thanks, I'll give it a read.
  • We're really quite screwed at the moment aren't we!

• Ah well at least something to have a joke about
  • JamesSeed said:

Novak and Crofts both made a League appearance before being transferred at the end of August..