Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Billy clarkes season is over

Comments

• And talking of players out injured, the OS said today. "Kashi is recovering from a small stress response in his heel bone ...... "

Related to his long term injury that made him miss most of 2 seasons?

• SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

I think arguably more concerning from that article is that JFC picked up a knock and will be out for a couple weeks. Kashi and Holmes are still about a week away, Bauer two, and that Fosu will need another four weeks of rehab.

There's been talk of a paper thin squad, which I don't agree with. But now is the time to show that squad depth by trusting players like Dijksteel and Aribo and KAG to come in and make an impact.

ok thanks roland, nice of you to pop in
    We're in League One. Find me another team who wouldn't miss basically their entire first choice midfield/attack and their best center half. Aribo looked good second half on Saturday, as did Reeves. Marshall did not but we know he has some quality. Dijksteel was not sent out on loan presumably because it was felt he could make an impact, and now is his chance. KAG had been in good form of late. We should be able to out out a side Saturday just about capable of beating Blackpool.

Amos
    Solly Konsa Sarr DaSilva
    ......... Aribo Dijksteel
    Marshall Reeves KAG
    ......... Mag/Best

Obviously not our best aide, but not terrible. And on Saturday Aribo showed something we haven't had this season, the ability to pick the ball up and drive from deep in Central midfield.
    And who would be on the bench- Jackson, Bowyer and Robinson?
  • Southbank said:

SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

I think arguably more concerning from that article is that JFC picked up a knock and will be out for a couple weeks. Kashi and Holmes are still about a week away, Bauer two, and that Fosu will need another four weeks of rehab.

There's been talk of a paper thin squad, which I don't agree with. But now is the time to show that squad depth by trusting players like Dijksteel and Aribo and KAG to come in and make an impact.

We're in League One. Find me another team who wouldn't miss basically their entire first choice midfield/attack and their best center half. Aribo looked good second half on Saturday, as did Reeves. Marshall did not but we know he has some quality. Dijksteel was not sent out on loan presumably because it was felt he could make an impact, and now is his chance. KAG had been in good form of late. We should be able to out out a side Saturday just about capable of beating Blackpool.

Amos
    Solly Konsa Sarr DaSilva
    Marshall Reeves KAG
    ......... Mag/Best

Obviously not our best aide, but not terrible. And on Saturday Aribo showed something we haven't had this season, the ability to pick the ball up and drive from deep in Central midfield.
    And who would be on the bench- Jackson, Bowyer and Robinson, S Parkes and C Parkes
  • Gutted for Billy, him and Fosu have been my players of the season so far.

6 of the 11 that started the first game of the season are likely to be out till the new year, I would say our chance of a top 6 spot has now gone.

Season's over before Christmas, Cheers Roland.

Bit dramatic.

We're 6th with a game in hand. Even if we lost all 4 of the festive/new year games, i still don't think we'd be more than 6 points off 6th.

The key will be how quickly we can get bodies in once the window opens. Hopefully KR has some names in mind and we can get them in before Oldham. Won't hold my breath though.
  • Southbank said:

Essex_Al said:

if theres enough depth then that means its karls fault

i put it as 80% roland 20% karl

Why does it have to be anyone's fault?

Any club in our division would struggle with these amount of injuries.
    The squad is put together too late and includes unfit players (Reeves) and obvious gaps (strikers) this season, but every season has been the same.
    This.
  • sm said:

I cannot believe that it is just bad luck that we continue to be plagued by injuries - it must be something to do with buying injury prone players, training methods or the quality of medical support. If we had a proper CEO something would be done in order to put things right.

We might not have more injuries than other teams, but our players do certainly seem to be out for longer.

• Such a shame, was probably my choice of favourite recruit from the summer input, a Charlton type player ,who must have been in the running for Player of the Season before his injury.
  • Going to be controversial here but I don’t think this crisis is particularly down to Roland. Yes the squad was short but imho only up front. This crisis where our entire midfield is crocked is down to bad luck. It’s an argument that perhaps Clarke was brought back too soon but none of us know that’s a contributing factor to his bad injury.

No league one club is awash with in depth strength and I think the midfield Robinson constructed was plenty strong enough under normal circumstances.

I do think our promotion hopes are under real pressure now and finishing sixth would be a triumph.
  • Sponsored links:

• Essex_Al said:

if theres enough depth then that means its karls fault

i put it as 80% roland 20% karl

Why does it have to be anyone's fault?

Any club in our division would struggle with these amount of injuries.
    We're not aiming to be any club in the division, we're supposed to be aiming to be one of the top two.

Perhaps if KR had a bigger squad he'd be more likely to rotate and rest players. That's one way of reducing the chances of picking up injuries.

Maybe the fact that Aribo and Dijksteel haven't played a great deal says he doesn't have full confidence in them getting the results we need to win promotion.

If they aren't ready for that then they could go out on loan. Regular League 2 football may have benefited them far more than being back ups in League 1.

He's clearly willing to give them a chance but I'm sure he'd have liked at least a couple more signings who could push Kashi, JFC, Solly etc that bit more.
  • To think the Racing Post tipped us at 5/1 today for promotion in their "half-time" supplement with the heading "Return of key players to fuel Charlton's push"!!!!
  • Going to be controversial here but I don’t think this crisis is particularly down to Roland. Yes the squad was short but imho only up front. This crisis where our entire midfield is crocked is down to bad luck. It’s an argument that perhaps Clarke was brought back too soon but none of us know that’s a contributing factor to his bad injury.

No league one club is awash with in depth strength and I think the midfield Robinson constructed was plenty strong enough under normal circumstances.

I do think our promotion hopes are under real pressure now and finishing sixth would be a triumph.

Agree 100%. Only difference being that I feel our team has been found out and we were destined for mid-table-plus, even before this announcement.
  • SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

Amos
    Solly Konsa Sarr DaSilva
    Marshall Reeves KAG
    ......... Mag/Best

I think it will be Pearce instead of Sarr.

• Underrated. He's one of the first names on the team sheet for me and is our most intelligent footballer. Huge loss.

Yes he really does link the midfield and attack so well and something that is so obvious when he is missing.
    We have an attack ? When did that happen ?
  • To cover our no existant attack we get Best who no one else wanted----it's ground hog day with Roland and January will be the same if he is still here , expect nothing but tosh from RD and the poodles because that's what we will get

Good luck Billy
  • Oh look, we have loads of injuries in key positions, Roland will probably give the manager extra money to buy players in the transfer window *

*this could of been written in any of the last 3 seasons, he won't and we won't make playoffs again.
  • Tough tough luck for BC, all the best for a full recovery.
    If they're retained through this window, Aribo, Kashi & JFC have enough about them to cope without BC but if we lose any of them then 'paper thin' will be but a memory and given roly's usual approach to resolving the fiasco he's created, we'll be getting used to a new manager/head coach/whatever by March.

Agreed, in his system 5 players to cover 3 AM positions (plus KAG) isn't unreasonable, one extra DM would be nice, it's something KR has said we need, but then Aribo and Djiksteel deserve a chance.

To have 3 AM and 2DM out at the same time is unlucky.
  • Sponsored links:

• Am I not right in saying that Clarke was on the field for a further 6 minutes after the tumble which did for him?

If so, would that have had a significant effect on the severity of the injury?
  • He’s off in jan then

Agree to an extent but we did need at least a couple more players - a striker and probably a winger. Make that 3 with Dodoo not playing much at all.

I did think we'd have seen more of Aribo, Dijksteel and perhaps others such as Lapslie by now. Were Kashi and JFC overplayed like Magennis clearly was?
  • Pretty depressing reading that link

Do we actually have a midfield for Saturday and Southend

#prayforsnow
  • Am I not right in saying that Clarke was on the field for a further 6 minutes after the tumble which did for him?

If so, would that have had a significant effect on the severity of the injury?

You are correct.

I'm not a doctor but my guess is probably not. If it's torn, it's torn and when you look at how he falls over it looks like he tore it on that initial fall. Obviously I don't know that and there isn't much of a way to tell, but again that fall was really bad.

There are people who don't have ACLs anymore due to a variety of factors and they're able to function. The risk would be hurting something else, which as far as we know he didn't do. If a player was playing with an ACL tear or with a hurt knee in general, it is possible for him to hurt that knee (MCL, Meniscus), but of equal if not greater concern would be hurting a muscle or joint because that knee is not functioning properly.
  • Scoham said:

Going to be controversial here but I don’t think this crisis is particularly down to Roland. Yes the squad was short but imho only up front. This crisis where our entire midfield is crocked is down to bad luck. It’s an argument that perhaps Clarke was brought back too soon but none of us know that’s a contributing factor to his bad injury.

Agree to an extent but we did need at least a couple more players - a striker and probably a winger. Make that 3 with Dodoo not playing much at all.

I did think we'd have seen more of Aribo, Dijksteel and perhaps others such as Lapslie by now. Were Kashi and JFC overplayed like Magennis clearly was?
    I agree with SHG that a lot of this is down to bad luck having five first choice players injured at once.

On the overplaying them thing, that I think is more interesting and far more mercurial. I'd sort of fold that in to that larger question that always pops up when you get a lot of injuries: are the players fit enough/well taken care of when it comes to fitness? I think sometimes we over-equate the two, but I think it's a question worth asking.

It does seem like KR and his team monitor player fitness levels and activity closely. It was also, by many accounts, and incredibly rigorous pre-season. I do feel like some of our intensity levels, particularly in our pressing game, have dropped drastically in recent weeks. But I think a lot of that is down to how teams play against us, and us going long, which makes pressing much harder. '

I don't have any sort of definitive answer, I just find it interesting.
  • Wishing him a speedy recovery. It’s pathetic the way this season is unravelling once again

Fuck off Roland
  • edited December 2017
    I just had a look at five first team squads from the top of League One, using the clubs' own websites.

Team ~~~~~~~~~ GK~~~DEF~~~MID~~~FOR~~~TOTAL
    Charlton~~~~~~~~2~~~~~9~~~~~10~~~~2~~~~~23
    Wigan~~~~~~~~~~6~~~~~9~~~~~13~~~~5~~~~~33
    Shrewsbury~~~~~~4~~~~~7~~~~~10~~~~8~~~~~29
    Scunthorpe~~~~~~3~~~~~8~~~~~10~~~~9~~~~~30
    Blackburn~~~~~~~3~~~~~9~~~~~~8~~~~5~~~~~25

Our forwards roster includes Billy Clarke who is really a midfielder, a number 10 at a stretch. Other than Blackburn, the other squads are WAY bigger than ours. It's not even close.

We do have Dodoo, though not sure if he counts. And Best as well. Neither of these are on the OS website squad list. The other teams shown above may also have additional players who aren't on the OS?
  • why has wigan got 6 goalkeepers?
  • I guess like me they're also not counting dodoo and Best as players..