Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Anfernee Dijksteel

Comments

• Options
    Hadn't realised he was a former product of the Ajax academy. I wonder which of the current Ajax players he played with!
  • Options
    He has had a very commendable season. Yes he chucks in the odd poor performance, but overall he is a very solid defender who gives me a lot of confidence. 
    Several times this season he has been up against a “bruiser” or a “sprinter” and has adapted to either. 
    Not a player I would want us to lose. 
  • Options
    Hadn't realised he was a former product of the Ajax academy. I wonder which of the current Ajax players he played with!
    TransferMarkt says he moved from Ajax U19 to the Nike Academy in 2015

Looks like he'd potentially have been an age group ahead of Matthijs de Ligt but neither Kasper Dolberg or Frenkie de Jong were @ Ajax at the time
  • Options
    edited April 2019

Looks like he'd potentially have been an age group ahead of Matthijs de Ligt but neither Kasper Dolberg or Frenkie de Jong were @ Ajax at the time
    According to TransferMarkt he was never at  Ajax. He was at AFC Amsterdam (called FC Amsterdam on wiki) who play in the Dutch third tier.
  • Options
    edited April 2019

According to TransferMarkt he was never at  Ajax. He was at AFC Amsterdam (called FC Amsterdam on wiki) who play in the Dutch third tier.
    Good spot, I was lazy and took AFC Amsterdam to be Ajax Amsterdam

Its only Anfernee's own Wiki page that says he was @ Ajax

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anfernee_Dijksteel
  • Options
    Met his brother near the ground on Monday, fails the Charlton height test.  He said he was on trial here from Feyenoord, even though he had a South London accent. Nice kid.
  • Options

Malik Dijksteel  Without a club since last summer according to the unreliable Transfermarket

• Options
    Redhenry said:
    Better than Bielik, Cullen and Pratley in that position. A scandalous waste of our playing resources imo by Bowyer.
    sorry but have to disagree with you. His distribution isn't good enough atm
    This 100%
    Only saw him play twice in midfield for U23 but didn't stand out because his ball control let him down.
    To suggest he would be better in the defensive midfield position than Cullen or Bielik is based on what exactly.
    I like the kid and he is progressing nicely.
    If he stays fit he should be the RB in our next 5 games hopefully.
  • Options
    Tony has played almost every match of his senior career at fullback, I think we need to drop this idea he's a midfielder - he's a fullback now because that is where he always plays, and he does a very solid job too. He's actually a bit quicker than he looks, although obviously not blisteringly quick, and he's increasingly contributing in attack. He's improving with games and good coaching, like so many players at the club right now. What his peak potential is I'm not sure, but I think it's a close run thing between him and Solly for who is our best right back now.

Full back in general has held us back a little bit though, imho. If we had proper marauding full backs on both sides (say Nathan Byrne and Jay Da Silva), then I think we'd have scored more goals this season, but then maybe we'd have conceded more too. None of our fullbacks make me nervous these days though, and that says they are all solid defenders, which is their primary job.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    He will be better than those two next year as they won't be here. 

Positionally imo he is better than both those two as a DM for the under 23's and I have to say his control and usage of the ball is a lot better than you assert. Unlike you I am talking about probably 25 games observed of him in that position. He allowed players like Aribo and RCC to go forward and like Fernandinho at City his importance to the u23's success was crucial.

I don't want to see such talent wasted at right back. Next season we have to try to move with the times and not have defensive full backs. We need pacy attacking full backs. Page can do it, but personally for me his fitness once again this season is the final straw and I have no confidence we will get enough games out of him next year to warrant extending his contract. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Next season we won't have Cullen and Bielik so he may get a chance in that position.
    I'm amazed @bolloxbolder you don't realize that Full back is such an important position now since wingers were put in the museum.
    If Iron Willie could improve his crossing he would be superb because the lad is strong and as fit as a butchers dog.

• Options
    You need to read again what I wrote.
  • Options
    He will be better than those two next year as they won't be here. 

Positionally imo he is better than both those two as a DM for the under 23's and I have to say his control and usage of the ball is a lot better than you assert. Unlike you I am talking about probably 25 games observed of him in that position. He allowed players like Aribo and RCC to go forward and like Fernandinho at City his importance to the u23's success was crucial.

I don't want to see such talent wasted at right back. Next season we have to try to move with the times and not have defensive full backs. We need pacy attacking full backs. Page can do it, but personally for me his fitness once again this season is the final straw and I have no confidence we will get enough games out of him next year to warrant extending his contract. 
    Ok, despite his goal on Easter Monday you don't see him developing into an attacking RB. At the moment his final cross isn't good enough but he is improving.
    He has spent 10 minutes in an away match as a defensive midfielder in 1st team so we can only hope he can replicate the performances you have seen in the U23 into the 1st team.

As he's Dutch and from the Ajax academy he should be able to play in many positions being from the land of total football.
  • Options
    If we're talking about Anfernee (not Tony), I agree with bolloxbolder.
    He looks a far better defensive midfielder than a right back.
  • Options
    He's really good at running with the ball but really not good at passing it. I can't really explain it, but he's doing quite well 
  • Options
    What games has he played defensive midfielder? I’ve not seen him play anywhere else 
  • Options
    When have you seen Anfernee Dijksteel play as a defensive mid fielder in the 1st team ?
    You and Bolloxbolder may well be right but have you witnessed this or is it when he does good work defensively and come narrow ?
  • Options
    He's looked fairly colossal there in some U21 games, but yeah, his passing range is that of a defender 
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    What games has he played defensive midfielder? I’ve not seen him play anywhere else 
    In a few cup games and a few U23 games.
    Reminded me of a L1 Academy Vierra.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Sorry to say he has a natural defensive outlook hence his preference to play defensive midfield.

He is improving as a right back and imo has definitely usurped Solly in that role. However I believe as the holding midfield player he will excel and surprise a few doubters if given the opportunity next season.

Finally you highlighted part of my post but the next sentences detailed how important I view the full back role in current day football.

The biggest indictment of not seeing this was Mourinho last season when he mocked city for spending 100m on two full backs. To me that demonstrated how much he had lost touch with the changing tactical game.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dijksteel is an Andy Hughes with better strength and technique but less experience, nous and drive.

I especially like how he defends on his feet and doesn't lunge in. He uses strength to recover situations and ease opponents off the ball. 

Work on his heading, concentration and forward thought are needed but a combination of experience and coaches work will see to that.

My view is that he will continue to "train on" and develop into one of Charlton's modern day unsung heroes (think Steve Brown). 
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    Dijksteel is an Andy Hughes with better strength and technique but less experience, nous and drive.

I especially like how he defends on his feet and doesn't lunge in. He uses strength to recover situations and ease opponents off the ball. 

Work on his heading, concentration and forward thought are needed but a combination of experience and coaches work will see to that.

My view is that he will continue to "train on" and develop into one of Charlton's modern day unsung heroes (think Steve Brown). 
    Let’s not get carried away and start believing he can be a legend. 

Anyway, a dozen decent games and he will be off. 
  • Options
    I kept saying he wasn't a full back for the first part of the season, but to be fair, he has grown into the role.
  • Options
    Done a decent enough job at right back, he may be a better player as a CDM but to suggest he is a better option there than Bielik or Cullen (two of our best and most consistent players this season) is ridiculous, even if he looked impressive there in some youth team games.
  • Options
    Has the potential to be a good player - still a work in progress. 
  • Options
    Phew... I didnt think Dijksteel was one of those out of contract this summer
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Phew... I didnt think Dijksteel was one of those out of contract this summer
    Oh shite so did I!!! Massively relieved.

Will throw out one other option for him: CB, where he played fairly regularly as a youngster I believe. Don't know that he's quite good enough in the air to play there at League One level, but looked solid on the right hand side of a back three against whoever we played with a back three against like two weeks ago because my memory is just gone.

For me, first choice ahead of Solly atm. Crossing needs to improve but he is so strong on the ball, and his pace, athleticism, and ability to get up and back have really expanded out attacking play on the right, and we look a better, more balanced team with him in it. Solly just doesn't have the legs for it, even if his final ball is far superior. 

Always rated the young man very highly. I think he's worth a go at CDM at some point. Was disappointed we didn't see him there in pre-season. But he has a skillset and athleticism that means he could end up being quite successful. And when you look at how he reads the game and steps into passing lanes tucked in from RB, you can see that defensive midfielder's instincts. 

Again, just really pleased he's not out of contract. 
  • Options
    I'm looking forward to seeing him in the centre of midfield in the holding role.  I think were it not for the wealth of very good footballers we have in that area at the moment, he would have played more there this season.  Speaks to his quality that he's been able to adapt so comfortably to RB.
  • Options
    Simonsen said:

Under the current regime there will be no heroes, because no-one will be kept around long enough to become one. With all the current uncertainty no players are going to stick around for multiple contracts, and if any player gives off a whiff of being decent other teams will come in knowing they can get them for a knock-down price as long as they offer Roland cash up front. It's depressing, but if we don't go up and don't get sold we will need to get used to total churn. A few free signings, as many loans as we're allowed and academy products promoted early, repeated every season