Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton vs Rochdale: post match views

Comments

• Options
    Keith Hill plays the worst type of football imaginable and the way he went mental just before we scored. I hope they get relegated and we never have to see them at The Valley again.
  • Options

But the best part for me was when there manager lost it with our supporters just before we scored our first, what a prick!

Didnt see... What happened?
    He lost it with our supporters just before we scored our first
  • Options

Surprised you thought that. Possibly a reflection on Charlton’s performance.

Quite possibly as a result of us not being at the races yesterday, however i thought Rochdale were far more organised the MK Dons and forced us to play poorly, they're by no means world beaters i just thought MK Dons were incredibly poor, especially in defence
  • Options
    Few things taste better than an undeserved three points.

Overall, I felt it was a very fortunate win, after a pretty atrocious first half, a much improved start to the second half and a sloppy last 20 minutes. In the latter stages, we lost control of midfield, sat far too deep and invited Rochdale to exploit their principal weapon, namely, long balls to Calvin Andrew - most of which he won and then brought others into play.

The less said about the opening period the better, although credit is due to Keith Hill and his coaching team, who completely sussed us tactically by pressing very high and not being afraid to throw bodies forward to win the second ball in the final third. They were encouraged to do so by virtue of the fact that we had no speedy forward playing ‘on the shoulder’ of their central defenders. As willing as Josh is, he cannot realistically chase down his own flick ons and Ben Reeves simply couldn’t get into the game.

If Rochdale’s shot against the inside of the post had gone in, I fear we would have struggled to get anything out of this game. As it was, JFC’s equaliser got us in at half time undeservedly level.

A much better start to the second half, in which we upped the tempo, moved the ball much quicker and closed Rochdale down swiftly, exposing their own limitations on the ball and winning it back repeatedly. We took the lead following a terrible goalkeeping error, nearly made it three following an excellent Magennis cross and a KAG header and then started to go into our shell. In response to our deep lying policy, Rochdale started to pump balls into the danger area, with several of their players flooding our box. Thanks to a couple of good saves from Amos, some good blocks and some poor play on the part of our opponents, we managed to hold out for an absolutely vital three points.

I spent the day with a couple of Rochdale supporting mates and just before kick off one of their nephews turned up, a lad who’s not seen The Dale lose in over 20 games, albeit over a number of years. Not a good omen, although all runs must come to an end. They thought that Charlton were a level below what they were expecting and their pre-match anxiety about Ricky Holmes was not borne out. Their team is suffering from defensive lapses and a lack of goals but they’ll be alright if they continue playing like that.

A poor and very uneven performance from us, although Marshall, JFC, Amos and KAG all did well, as did our full backs. We are certainly missing Fosu and Clarke but hopefully they’ll be back for the Christmas and New Year period.

Am excellent three points on one of those difficult Tuesday nights in front of a paltry Valley crowd, where we always seem to struggle. We’ll need to be better at Scunny on Saturday and I’m pretty confident that we will be.
  • Options
    From the north upper, the save from Amos late on looked superb where he clawed it away from going in top right
  • Options

From the north upper, the save from Amos late on looked superb where he clawed it away from going in top right

Might be doing him a disservice but looked a bit more dramatic than what it needed to be imo.

My mate also questioned whether he could have got down a little quicker for their goal
  • Options

Might be doing him a disservice but looked a bit more dramatic than what it needed to be imo.

My mate also questioned whether he could have got down a little quicker for their goal
    The save at the end would certainly have been better had there be power behind the shot but it did look a little bit powder puff - With the first goal I can see what your mate means; Amos maybe could have gotten down a bit quicker

Just watched the goals back though and impressed with how its Forster-Caskey who takes the initial Free-Kick and then right at the end of the move just ghosts into the penalty area, no wonder Bowyer and Jackson would have been proud of him... Also our winner, credit to the referee, reckon there are plenty out there who would given that as a foul as the 'keeper nearly has both hands to the ball
  • Options
    (Haven't read the thread yet)

Sluggish start that saw Rochdale take a deserved lead and very nearly double it. I felt we overdid the put upon prima donnas role a bit - yes, there were plenty of trips and tugs but I didn't think Rochdale were particularly physical, and we were going over very easily (how do we feel when eg. Liverpool go over at every opportunity?). Jake's determination hauled us back into it with our first real chance.

After the break we buckled down and upped the tempo for a productive purple patch when they found it difficult to get out with Solly and Da Silva both deep in their half, and Karlan's pace now unsettling them. One more spill from the now busy keeper and Jake was quickest to respond again but still had a lot to do facing away from goal before pirouetting and clipping it up over the crowd and into the Covered End goal.

To their immense credit Dale didn't fold though, and proceeded to give us a few more scares before and after poor Karlan's header straight at the keeper from about four yards. Thankfully it didn't prove costly in the end and Shrewsbury's slip up at Bury showed we're not the only promotion hopefuls to stumble against these smaller but often admirable clubs.

Player observations:

For all his obvious quality I do wonder if Kashi sometimes needs a rest after the Saturday fixtures but we all know the size of the squad.
    Pearce and Bauer were both at the top of their games when injuries struck but Konsa and Sarr have both stepped in and proved themselves more than capable. Young defenders make mistakes in judgement but the pros have far outweighed the cons.
    JFC is now pretty close to the all-round midfielder, getting forward to p[inch goals but never shirking his defensive duties.
    Karlan, get yourself a bloody goal son! He's beginning to look as though he believes he belongs but has to start scoring soon.

• Options
    While the lack of another striker is obvious, last night is the sort of game where the lack of depth in central midfield was exposed too. Sometimes when you play the more physical teams, you need to stiffen up your spine, and have an experienced pro to do the dirty work in midfield "and get stuck in". The sort of person you have in your team to get promoted out of L1, then let go with thanks.

Jackson will give leadership and 100%, but that isn't really his game.
  • Options

Looked a comfortable save, partly because he was well positioned and got across well before the ball arrived.

The one he tipped over the middle I thought was a cracker though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

From where I was in the lower north and basically in line with the angle of the shot it looked like one of those frustratingly so near yet so far type of shots that in reality there is just not that much you can actually do about them.
  • Options

The goal happened pretty quickly, it would have been a worldy/poor finish for him to save that

I was more frustrated by the way he didn't command his box. So many times when he could have come to collect the ball in his area he didn't, or waited until the last moment, causing a few near misses where their attackers nearly stole the ball. I'm sure our CBs would have played better if Amos had been more dominant
  • Options

The save at the end would certainly have been better had there be power behind the shot but it did look a little bit powder puff - With the first goal I can see what your mate means; Amos maybe could have gotten down a bit quicker

Just watched the goals back though and impressed with how its Forster-Caskey who takes the initial Free-Kick and then right at the end of the move just ghosts into the penalty area, no wonder Bowyer and Jackson would have been proud of him... Also our winner, credit to the referee, reckon there are plenty out there who would given that as a foul as the 'keeper nearly has both hands to the ball
    I think Forster-Caskey is our best player by a some way, he just has an excellent footballing brain - similar to Jackson in that regard, as long as his head is in the right place
  • Options
    Magennis is somewhat limited in what he offers but you cannot fault his workrate last night . Ran his bllks off. Annoying we cannot put teams to bed. Goal difference could play a big part come the end of the season , we need to be putting our chances away when they fall. Shout out to JFC who looks a completely different player this season. I'd have him down as first on the team sheet at the moment
  • Options

While the lack of another striker is obvious, last night is the sort of game where the lack of depth in central midfield was exposed too. Sometimes when you play the more physical teams, you need to stiffen up your spine, and have an experienced pro to do the dirty work in midfield "and get stuck in". The sort of person you have in your team to get promoted out of L1, then let go with thanks.

This makes me wonder about the reticence to use Aribo (in particular), or even Lapslie/Dijksteel, or the removal of the "number 10" (Reeves in this case) for Bauer and pushing Konsa up, where necessary.

I really can't understand why Aribo hasn't been further utilised after an excellent breakout last term. But I'd agree in that we need another holding midfielder, ideally with plenty of physical presence.

But we're not even trying to use what's there, and I reckon over the course of the season - come March, probably - this will see us falter on the run-in.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

This makes me wonder about the reticence to use Aribo (in particular), or even Lapslie/Dijksteel, or the removal of the "number 10" (Reeves in this case) for Bauer and pushing Konsa up, where necessary.

I really can't understand why Aribo hasn't been further utilised after an excellent breakout last term. But I'd agree in that we need another holding midfielder, ideally with plenty of physical presence.

But we're not even trying to use what's there, and I reckon over the course of the season - come March, probably - this will see us falter on the run-in.
    I wish someone would press KR more about Aribo, he's been invisible this season
  • Options

I think Forster-Caskey is our best player by a some way, he just has an excellent footballing brain - similar to Jackson in that regard, as long as his head is in the right place
    Agreed, JFC was a brilliant buy. This is a guy who was a regular for Brighton in the Championship 3 years ago with 14 U21 caps, but lost his way, there's talent there
  • Options
    razil said:

Did we go 442..

Not really. More a 4-4-1-1 or 4-3-3. KAG started 2nd half making runs down the left wing but also played behind Magennis. There was a lot of inter-changing.....sometimes Holmes behind Magennis and all sorts of swapping wings.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    Here's one quote from Rochdale "......switched it to 352 for last 20 or so mins with cannon at right wing back and Hendon deep lying midfielder. We did put some pressure on and inman really should av done better with a clear chance late on but all too often the wide players were isolated with no support. In the end charlton saw the game out with all the usual time wasting tactics feigning injury and the like".

Evidently Rochdale changed formation for the last 20 minutes, which we struggled with, pushing us deeper.

Might explain why we lost our 2nd half grip on the game?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    well possibly the better side lost but some of our players did ok.

pretty much from the off we looked out of sorts and struggled to string a few passes together. no real momentum going forward. Reeves a disappointment and ricky had a very poor game for him.

they scored and should of scored again.

Forster Kasky did really well for his goal, well both of his goals, in the first he seemed to chest the ball down in front of him cooley before finishing. the second after the rebound placed his shot between the goalie and defenders. very professional finishes. its great he's getting in the box as that's what I believe he should be doing. its mainly on set pieces and not so much the driving forward from the middle in open play that I believe he can do though.

marshall got more into the game but rarely went down the wing. some shots straight at the goalkeeper when he should of passed.
    KAG was good down the wing for about 15 minutes. some nice crosses and good runs. then he went out of the game, jogging around. I wonder what he's thinking when he sees josh throwing himself about near the end, running (as he had done all game), tackling and putting pressure on their back four?
    thought sarr played a lot better today than he did on Saturday. him and konsa shared the responsibility of marking their main attacker. both found it difficult. Konsa especially.
    during the second half Amos kept us in it with two fantastic saves.

we won. which is the main thing. hopefully on Saturday we can play the nice football we can and have been playing albeit with hardly any chances and get another win.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Amos; crucial saves earned his share of the points ridiculously bad kicking
    Solly: dependable as ever
    Sarr: barely inconvenienced Andrew with the high balls and his distribution is patchy at best
    Konsa: he ain't getting near the PL with that sort of performance hopefully it was a blip
    DaSilva: peerless
    Kashi: takes too many risks with passes and time on the ball
    Marshall: greedy choosing to shoot when passes were needed, pacy enough to trouble full backs at this level, better on the left
    Forster-Caskey: overrun in first half but Johnny On The Spot when it counted, dead balls mostly terrible
    Reeves: was he remotely fit? shoulda got the hook after about 15 minutes never even nearly at it
    Holmes: industrious as ever but not as effective as usual, dead balls relentlessly embarrassing
    Magennis: tireless and makes the most of the poxy service, deserves so much better
    Ahearne-Grant: a bright cameo at the start of 2nd half then disappeared for 20 minutes, fluffed his lines in the box again

Rochdale will do very well to stay up, they stank but on chances created coulda merited a draw.
    The difference on the night was the goalies - Amos made a coupla very good saves and Lillis gifted us our 2nd

KR and co musta given them a right talking to at half time cos Dale shoulda been outta sight. 2nd half performance closer to decent and it definitely helped playing with 11 after carrying Reeves throughout the first.
    The paucity of roly's squad might begin to bite cos Billy Clarke and Tariqe Fosu are gonna be missed, heaven forbid JM breaks down
    Tuesday night crowds well under 9K is proper 3rd division too, sadly.
  • Options
    Didn't go school night and all that (Roly has dulled my passion)
    More than happy with the win but in spite of the good run of results the crowds don't appear to be flocking to The Valley , fuck off Roly you twunt.

15% Automatic promotion ........65%% Play offs ........... 20% 7th-12th

100% Roland Out
  • Options

But the best part for me was when there manager lost it with our supporters just before we scored our first, what a prick!

Didnt see... What happened?
    And clapped the referee sarcastically after the first goal (after he'd FINALLY booked someone). You couldn't make it up sometimes could you?
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Tough fought win against a niggling side who, having seen MK Dons on Saturday who were exactly the same, seem to represent what this league is about and so makes it difficult for footballing sides to play their game. I thought in the first half we were poor and should have been two down, second half with Maggenis coming short and holding up the ball we looked a lot better and probably should have won by more.

Hope Reeves is not too bad because without Clark and Fosu we are very short of options, frankly KAG is not up to this standard. He came on, looked bright and then after 15 minutes reverted to running around aimlessly giving Josh no outlet. On top of that he missed a sitter so for me he's a spare part, along with Dodoo who should be sent back and fast.

If the rumours are true that Konsa is off in January then we have to start to play without him and get the system sorted, at least the BFG and Pearce should be available and we still have Sarr who is the most improved player at the club in my opinion. So three points and onwards
  • Options
    Poor first half, never settled on the ball, tough opponents, we went up a gear second half and won it but could easily have drawn. Hopefully Best in this week and seems another striker likely in January. Badly needed. I wouldn't personally be paying £5m for konsa as a centre half - doesn't look ready - hope that doesn't scupper our plans and I don't base that Konsa view on any information. Maybe he will stay and be used in midfield when Pearce back?
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:

Poor first half, never settled on the ball, tough opponents, we went up a gear second half and won it but could easily have drawn. Hopefully Best in this week and seems another striker likely in January. Badly needed. I wouldn't personally be paying £5m for konsa as a centre half - doesn't look ready - hope that doesn't scupper our plans and I don't base that Konsa view on any information. Maybe he will stay and be used in midfield when Pearce back?

PL clubs are buying potential, none of them would be buying him to play in the first team in January.
  • Options
    If Rochdale had shown a bit more composure/class they would have won. They had a massive height advantage overall but their corners and free-kicks were very poor (Jay Da Silva managed to head one away as first man!) Generally their final ball or crucial build up ball was poor (quite a few went out of play towards the end).
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:

The fee (£5m or whatever) isn't for the finished article....it's for the potential to be the finished article. My chum scouts for a Premier League club; last season he watched Konsa six times before December. When I asked why Konsa and not other young centre-backs, the reply was that there were NO other young centre-backs (apparently there is a national shortage). He's not convinced Konsa is good enough but does see potential. £5m is probably worth a punt to the richer clubs.

PS: My mate didn't like the way Konsa puts his hands into the forward's back every time he gets close. He needs to bulk out a bit so he can utilise body weight rather than hands.