Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton vs Rochdale: post match views

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2017
    Apart from some cynical fouling from Rochdale they deserved their lead and should have been 2 up prior to our equalizer. Second half improved with KAG running at their defence and Magennis giving their defenders no chance to settle on the ball. Magennis laid on a lovely pass for Marshall who saw his a fierce shot parried by the keeper with Caskey lurking to make the most of the mistake. Someone tell Sarr that he should only use his right foot for standing on.
  • Options
    Ps. I reckon less than 6k in the ground tonight
  • Options
    I was at the game and although there only seemed about 8k there, the support was excellent.

Thought their continued use of the disruptive foul went unpunished for far too long.

The elbow into the side of big Mags head went totally unpunished and as the ref gave a foul I assume he saw it. Not even a yellow. Given he was too wide to actually head the ball I and others thought it was going to be a straight red. Mag was unchuffed and had a word with the ref and I thought he was going to get booked for a minute. Mag did him a favour by not making more of it. That's what you get for leaving it to the ref to sort.

A big word for Foster-Caskey. He was my m.o.m per my marks Saturday and he will be again tonight. He is consistently good and I think he will be a real contender for poty. Nice to see him getting in the box tonight and grabbed himself a brace.
  • Options
    Calvin Andrew's performance this evening highlighted how we need a better striker than Josh. Yes he works hard, but to little effect much of the time. Andrew won everything in the air, held the ball up well - decent layoffs too.

Again today our final ball was poor. Ricky needs to work on that, as it's his only weakness really.

We had a great spell after half time. KAG was excellent for his first ten or fifteen minutes, but rarely got the ball after that. Wish he'd scored with that header, the roof would have come off!

Marshall looked lively and will only improve. Reeves got mullered every time he had the ball, again.

Couple of great saves from Amos.

Naby Star.

Great effort by the drummer again!
  • Options
    Bag of Shit for 35 minutes with the turning point them not going 2 up after the chance that hit the post. Going in level at half time was a bonus and knew that they would get a kick in the Jacobs for that filth in the first half.

Second half was better. KFC has taken on board what Bowyer has been telling him about getting into the 18 yard box. Both goals within 10 yards.

Marshall will get better as when he gets more minutes under his belt.

Konsa needs to lose that chip on his shoulder asap, otherwise he will go nowhere, though he improved in the 2nd half.

Don't see what the fuss is about Sarr. At fault for their goal and was awful in that first 45 minutes. Like Konsa, he improved in the 2nd stanza.

2 good saves from Amos in the 2nd half.

Reeves did well in his Kenneth Cope role aka Randall and Hopkirk in that first half.

• Options
    edited November 2017
    Started woeful, improved a little, missed a load of chances.

We are crying out for another option up front. Keep saying it, but if Josh gets injured we have a massive problem.

Concerns me how open we can be at the back and also the consistent lack of pressure on the ball when defending wide attacks.

Konsa struggled tonight and was given a tough time be Andrew.

Getting royally bored of having to watch dull as f**k teams of spoilers turning up.
  • Options
    I'll take that. Sometimes you have to win ugly and we did that tonight against a decent Rochdale side who probably deserved a point with the No 9 Andrew outstanding. We played a lot better on Saturday but didn't get the result. Some decent performances from the likes of Solly, DaSilva, Marshall and particularly JFC - we need more of the midfielders getting in the box to pick things up. I'd like to see Bauer back in the side for Sarr who doesn't impress me and we need to see a lot more from Reeves, but a Wins a Win and that's what matters.
  • Options
    Made hard work of that. Should have been 2 down, I sit in the NWQ directly in line with the goal and still not sure how that Rochdale shot stayed out of our net. We were awful 1st half but somehow went in level. Much improved 2nd half and the goal came after a period of sustained Charlton pressure. We weren't great tonight by any means but got to be very happy with the 3 points. We are nowhere near clinical enough and I fear this will cost us eventually,its another game that we should have won by more and had enough chances to do so. Amos made 2 good saves in the 2nd half to ensure we got the points. Holmes has frustrated so much in the last 2 games,probably harsh to say but his dead ball delivery has not been anywhere near his usual standard. KAG played well I thought,so want him to do well. Onwards and upwards
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    philcafc said:

I'll take that. Sometimes you have to win ugly and we did that tonight against a decent Rochdale side who probably deserved a point with the No 9 Andrew outstanding. We played a lot better on Saturday but didn't get the result. Some decent performances from the likes of Solly, DaSilva, Marshall and particularly JFC - we need more of the midfielders getting in the box to pick things up. I'd like to see Bauer back in the side for Sarr who doesn't impress me and we need to see a lot more from Reeves, but a Wins a Win and that's what matters.

Not sure if you was at the same game as me - but I thought Sarr was quality.All the makings of a very good footballer IMO.Reeves will come good -remember for him and Marshall it's just the first few games of the season for them.If only KAG could get that first goal -I think it would do so much for his confidence.But yes we must bring a striker in and soon.
    For me it's 3 from 2 for the automatics with us Wigan and Blackburn.COYR.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Calvin Andrew's performance this evening highlighted how we need a better striker than Josh. Yes he works hard, but to little effect much of the time. Andrew won everything in the air, held the ball up well - decent layoffs too.

Again today our final ball was poor. Ricky needs to work on that, as it's his only weakness really.

We had a great spell after half time. KAG was excellent for his first ten or fifteen minutes, but rarely got the ball after that. Wish he'd scored with that header, the roof would have come off!

Marshall looked lively and will only improve. Reeves got mullered every time he had the ball, again.

Couple of great saves from Amos.

Naby Star.

Great effort by the drummer again!

Really? Doesn't his performance simply tell us that Rochdale play to his strengths, whereas we are not playing to Josh' strengths?

I mean who the ---- is Calvin Andrew? Would he get into the current N. Ireland team? Sure if you want to play 4-5-1 all the time it might be good to have someone who is mainly suited to that role, but if you want that type, who can do it a league above, I don't think it's Calvin Andrew.

Josh looks (is) more effective in 4-4-2 or 4-3-3, based on what I have seen of him for NI, against teams usually at least three levels up from Rochdale, including the world champions.

• Options

Why not JFC doing the tunnel jump?!

Sarr's bigger than him!
  • Options
    My view on tonight:

Looked all at sea for the first 30 mins & resembled a works team who have just rocked up & never played together before. Rochdale looked tidy & upfront had some players who could receive the ball, turn & cause problems. It all turned on their shot that hit the post, ran virtually along the length of the goaline & then out for a goalkick - how that never went in I'll never know. There for small mercies - we had the same (mis) luck against Wigan when JFK shot hit the bar & minutes later Wigan scored a 2nd & game over, This time the luck was on our side (for a change). I dread to think how the boos would have rang out if we'd gone in 2-0 down.

A better 2nd half, but as usual we ran out of steam after 75 mins & let Rochdale back into the game. This team is not getting automatic promotion. There are too many captains & not enough generals. Where is the Mark Kinsella ? or a Nicky Bailey ? None of our midfield want to get stuck in, win the ball & start an attack. Too many fancy dans not wanting to get their shorts dirty. Holmes has looked off the pace for the last few games & his dead ball deliveries are getting worse. Big Josh gets elbowed & we get a free kick 25 yards out - Holmes floats a ball out of play. Reeves might well have been sitting next to me the good he done out there. Marshall was my MOTM - always looking for the ball, good turn of pace & can cross well too. I reckon he'll grab a goal before the month is out. KAG started the 2nd half brightly but I think the header affected him & he spent the last 15 mins running around like a headless chicken - another player who doesn't want to get stuck in. Sarr is one pass away from a catastrophe but he played a sublime pass to Da Silva in the first half so I'll forgive him (perhaps KR might want to show that bit of play to Reeves). Konsa is one shirt tug away from a booking. Amos would have got MOTM (those 2 saves were world class) but his kicking is atrocious - I lost count then number of times his goalkicks went out for their throw. We spend 5 mins trying to win the ball back & then with one kick we give it straight back. I understand that some managers might not want a keeper to kick it straight down the middle in case one of their defender heads it straight back - but at least if its somewhere on the pitch we have a 50/50 chance of winning an aerial battle (no wait, lets make that 25/75 as we are useless in the air).

All in all it was a very disjointed & not very pretty performance. If we have any hope of getting promoted this season we need 2 or 3 new players & 2 or 3 new ideas. At time Rochdale made us look very ordinary & if they could pass & cross better then we would have been looking at another 2-2 draw & more dropped points. Saturday is now a very big game, but if we play like that then I can see another Wigan style, 3-0 defeat.

• Options
    Rochdale were much better side than MK Dons and probably deserved a point, Andrew was absolutely superb and won everything for them, came to the realisation today that Magennis just isn't very good - his first touch is appalling and his reactions are even worse. Fully agree JamesSeed that we desperately need a better striker

Thought KAG actually did pretty well today when he came on, should have put the header either side of the goalie though.

Marshall shows flashes of what he can do but with his long injury lay off i think he just needs game time at the moment.

Amos made 2 or 3 terrific saves yet again, would like to see him come in permanently
  • Options
    Poor for the first 30 minutes - there goal was a result of joke defending by us.
    Much better second half.

JFC cut out nearly every opposing set piece ball tonight
    Marshall was 100% committed
    Sarr was Costa-like with some of his defending.
    KAG was as good as I've seen him lately.

We needed that, but the squad is looking a bit thin.
    Well done lads.
  • Options
    Came out 2nd half with loads of energy and determination, scored the goal, and then we stood off again and let them come at us,when we were on the front foot we tore them to pieces. KAG made a difference when he came on with his pace. Marshall came into the game and did well. Sarr was the only player to come out of the 1st half with any credit.Fair play to KR for getting the team going in the 2nd half. Also two important quality saves by Amos too.
  • Options
    Relieved to come out of that with 3 points.
  • Options
    edited November 2017

Rochdale were much better side than MK Dons and probably deserved a point, Andrew was absolutely superb and won everything for them, came to the realisation today that Magennis just isn't very good - his first touch is appalling and his reactions are even worse. Fully agree JamesSeed that we desperately need a better striker

Thought KAG actually did pretty well today when he came on, should have put the header either side of the goalie though.

Marshall shows flashes of what he can do but with his long injury lay off i think he just needs game time at the moment.

Amos made 2 or 3 terrific saves yet again, would like to see him come in permanently

Surprised you thought that. Possibly a reflection on Charlton’s performance.
  • Options
    TTF Viewfinder didn't attend!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can anyone tell me the words to JFC chant? as it's absolutely brilliant
  • Options
    Did we go 442..
  • Options
    SMW28 said:

Can anyone tell me the words to JFC chant? as it's absolutely brilliant

something about:

a pass from Ahmed Kashi
    goes to Forster-Caskey
    and he doesn't lose it

would probably be more apt if it were;

we have Forster-Caskey
    he looks like Arthur Askey

• Options
    edited November 2017
    Not the best performance from us but a wins a win ! Few thoughts...

Amos, great shot stopper, terrible at commanding his box.

Kashi needs to stop slowing the play down, ruins all momentum we try to build
    Marshall grew into the game and was our best player on the night in my opinion. Once Robinson told him to stay wide, you could see the real threat which mark Marshall has.

Magennis put in a shift, so did Holmes, but nothing is coming off for him going forward at the moment

Honestly think Wigan will walk the league, it'll be between us and blackburn for 2nd place.
  • Options
    I note a few comments about Amos's kicking. Dean Kiely became a Charlton legend despite conceding more how ins from his kicks than any other keeper I can remember. Frustrating and annoying at times but throws well up the pitch are rarely dangerous.

Sounds a rather dour game but three points is three points.
  • Options
    I think I mustve been one of the only people to actually enjoy that game. They came at us with all intentions of sapping every ounce of ‘real football’ out of the game and chopping us down whenever we got near before hoofing it back up the pitch. Trouble is when we got going our passing and pressing was way too good for a far inferior side and I personally think that in the second half our quality shone through and we got the win we 100% deserved.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Good 3 points on to the next, get 4 points out of the next 2 are we will be well in there, what I really hope we don’t see is the mass jubilation as per usual on the social media outlets, we’ve managed to beat Rochdale who are occupying a relegation spot we’ve already lost to 2 other sides that end of the table gills and Plymouth, I still believe we are about where we should be given how big we are players etc. From the start of the season I like many others said playoffs is the minimum and so far that’s where we look like we will be so happy days.
  • Options
    I too enjoyed the game.

Whilst not a perfect performance we were well worth the win and saw several good things. We started off ok but Rochdale were tight and fouled at any hint of an attack building up. The ref should have shown a yellow card earlier and, when he did, this spoiling tactic abated somewhat.

The goal came from Rochdale's first serious attack after we allowed their left side way too much time & room. This signalled a decidedly dodgy 20 mins where Starr and Konsa in particular showed inexperience, both good players but they needed a steadying influence at that point. Thought we were a bit lucky to go in at 1-1 but credit to JFC's persistence.

Second half we started really well. Changed to 4-4-2 which Magennis is clearly more comfortable with. KAG showed what he can do with the right sort of service and Marshall was continually threatening with good runs and superb crosses. Kashi also looks like he enjoys 4-4-2 more which allowed JFC better licence to go forward.

The 3rd goal didn't come and we got a bit passive as we tired and had Amos to thank for a couple of good saves. Special mention to Da Silva, tidy footballer.

All in all a promising night. This unit is still WIP but Karl and his capable team are very obviously working on the right things. I, like most, would take a draw at Scunny next week and we do need to add 2-3 players in January especially if/when the versatile Konsa goes. Our transfer policy will no doubt be driven by wtf is happening with the takeover. If it goes ahead I would hope funds will be available. If not, we will probably try and limp on, stumble to the play offs where a bunch of knackered players will fail.